Jump to topic:

Why do so many people hate Pagans?

Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 3:13:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am Pagan and since I became Pagan I have been looked down upon by certain people. I don't get why though, I look no different than a Christian, but when some people see my necklace (a pagan symbol) I hear them say to themselves or some times out loud to my face, comments of "Dirty Heathen" or "Filthy Pagan" among other comments. I do nothing to instigate these attacks on my religion, I don't verbally attack others. Also I never see Christians going on and saying things like "dirty Jew" or Jewish people saying "Filthy Christian." I feel like it is only Pagans that have to put up with this and I would like to know why.
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 3:17:54 PM
At 1/4/2011 3:13:02 PM, Heathen wrote:
I am Pagan and since I became Pagan I have been looked down upon by certain people. I don't get why though, I look no different than a Christian, but when some people see my necklace (a pagan symbol) I hear them say to themselves or some times out loud to my face, comments of "Dirty Heathen" or "Filthy Pagan" among other comments. I do nothing to instigate these attacks on my religion, I don't verbally attack others. Also I never see Christians going on and saying things like "dirty Jew" or Jewish people saying "Filthy Christian." I feel like it is only Pagans that have to put up with this and I would like to know why.

I don't hate you, but I do hate paganism, you should join the catholic church, how Pagan is that ?
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 3:20:53 PM
At 1/4/2011 3:17:54 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:

I don't hate you, but I do hate paganism, you should join the catholic church, how Pagan is that ?
But why do you hate Paganism? We were here first.
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 3:41:38 PM

Can you give a concise view of what Pagans actually believe? I don't hate you - hatred is based upon FEAR - I am interested.
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:05:00 PM
At 1/4/2011 3:41:38 PM, Ogan wrote:

Can you give a concise view of what Pagans actually believe? I don't hate you - hatred is based upon FEAR - I am interested.
You see thats really hard to answer because Paganism in basically another way to say Polytheism, or believing in multiple Gods. The word "Pagan" is a group, there really isn't just one Pagan religion. For instance, I am Ásatrú, which is a form of Germanic Neopaganism, or in simpler terms, I share the same beliefs of Vikings of old time before Christianity. I pray to Odin, Thor, Loki (not so much Loki actually, he is the god of mischief so I don't need mischief in my life.) I pray to them and many other Gods. I also believe in trolls and gnomes and creatures of that nature along with Land-Spirits. There are other types of Paganism such as Greek, Roman, and even witchcraft. If you have heard of Wicca, which is an extremely Earth based Religion (more so than most others), you have heard of a Pagan religion. Im sorry if I have not answered your question as thoroughly as you wanted it but the question "What is Paganism" is kind of hard to explain in simple terms. I tried my best.
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:18:41 PM
At 1/4/2011 4:11:17 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:
"But why do you hate Paganism? We were here first". - At what point were Adam and Eve Pagans ?

Look I really don't feel like arguing this for the hundredth time. The only "proof" either of us really have is a book. Now we could go back and forth with this like I have so many times before or we can agree to disagree. Your choice.
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:25:31 PM
At 1/4/2011 4:18:41 PM, Heathen wrote:
"But why do you hate Paganism? We were here first". - At what point were Adam and Eve Pagans ?

Look I really don't feel like arguing this for the hundredth time. The only "proof" either of us really have is a book. Now we could go back and forth with this like I have so many times before or we can agree to disagree. Your choice.

You made the statement - "We were here first". I simply asked, "at what point were Adam and Eve pagans", now if you do not believe Adam and Eve existed, that's fine, but it still leaves you to substantiate your statement.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:26:22 PM

Adam and Eve never existed.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:26:53 PM
I personally think Paganism was/is awesome. The Roman and Greek Gods were way cooler than the Christian God, except Jesus is pretty chill -- just not as badass.
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:29:00 PM
At 1/4/2011 4:25:31 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:

You made the statement - "We were here first". I simply asked, "at what point were Adam and Eve pagans", now if you do not believe Adam and Eve existed, that's fine, but it still leaves you to substantiate your statement.
Ok, I do not believe that Adam and Eve Existed as the first humans, my opinion about Christianity is that it actually started as a cult and grew, as cults are known to do, and became powerful, then decided to take over the world.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:29:57 PM
At 1/4/2011 4:29:00 PM, Heathen wrote:

Ok, I do not believe that Adam and Eve Existed as the first humans, my opinion about Christianity is that it actually started as a cult and grew, as cults are known to do, and became powerful, then decided to take over the world.

I believe that is true. I suspect that the Romans first persecuted Christians, but as its popularity grew, it eventually over-took the Roman Empire...
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:30:21 PM
At 1/4/2011 4:27:20 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
At 1/4/2011 4:26:22 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Prove it.

You win.
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:34:01 PM

What do you base your opinion on ?
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:37:14 PM
At 1/4/2011 4:34:01 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:

Historical evidence.
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:43:33 PM
At 1/4/2011 4:37:14 PM, Heathen wrote:

Historical evidence.

What historical evidence are you on about ?, or are you trying to avoid explaining yourself ?
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:54:36 PM
At 1/4/2011 4:43:33 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:

What historical evidence are you on about ?, or are you trying to avoid explaining yourself ?

Not at all, there is evidence from long ago that leads people to believe Christians would go into hiding to escape people and be able to pray in peace. Such as crosses and other Christian relics in dark secretive cramped places while Pagan relics from the same time period are scattered all over, not hidden. Now you can interpret that any way you want, and I choose to see that as cult activity.
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:55:04 PM
At 1/4/2011 4:27:20 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
At 1/4/2011 4:26:22 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Prove it.

I almost wrote a really ugly reply to this before realizing it was sarcasm.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 5:14:49 PM
At 1/4/2011 4:54:36 PM, Heathen wrote:

Not at all, there is evidence from long ago that leads people to believe Christians would go into hiding to escape people and be able to pray in peace. Such as crosses and other Christian relics in dark secretive cramped places while Pagan relics from the same time period are scattered all over, not hidden. Now you can interpret that any way you want, and I choose to see that as cult activity.

Who says these people were Christians ?, Christians can pray anywhere at all, they can find their closet at the Superbowl, scripture doesn't teach Christians to hide and pray, kneel or face a particular direction ETC. Sorry but these people you speak of do not show signs of biblical Christianity. I'm far from convinced !

"I choose to see that as cult activity".
What is a cult ?
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 5:39:37 PM
At 1/4/2011 5:14:49 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:

Who says these people were Christians ?, Christians can pray anywhere at all, they can find their closet at the Superbowl, scripture doesn't teach Christians to hide and pray, kneel or face a particular direction ETC. Sorry but these people you speak of do not show signs of biblical Christianity. I'm far from convinced !

What is a cult ?
I dont think you understand, they would hide because if they were caught praying they would be killed, and if that happened there would be no Christianity.
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 6:02:36 PM
At 1/4/2011 5:53:24 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Why kind of Pagan are you, out of curiosity?

Germanic Neopagan or more specifically, Asatru
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 6:05:42 PM
At 1/4/2011 5:39:37 PM, Heathen wrote:

What is a cult ?
I dont think you understand, they would hide because if they were caught praying they would be killed, and if that happened there would be no Christianity.

Christians pray inwardly, so there is nothing to catch, they are "inward Jews", no fancy hat, tallit, or coat, everything is inward, even the commandments are turned inward,

Rom 2:29 "But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly..."

I really don't think you know what a Christian is, I may be wrong here, but you have given me nothing to make me think otherwise.
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 6:07:47 PM
At 1/4/2011 6:05:42 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:
At 1/4/2011 5:39:37 PM, Heathen wrote:

What is a cult ?

Christians pray inwardly, so there is nothing to catch, they are "inward Jews", no fancy hat, tallit, or coat, everything is inward, even the commandments are turned inward,

Rom 2:29 "But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly..."

I really don't think you know what a Christian is, I may be wrong here, but you have given me nothing to make me think otherwise.

I know the basics of the religion but your right, I know as much about your religion as you know about mine. I have never even read the bible.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 6:09:48 PM
At 1/4/2011 6:02:36 PM, Heathen wrote:

So you worship the Áss? *immature chuckling*
Sorry, had to.

Why exactly do you believe it?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 6:15:16 PM
At 1/4/2011 4:05:00 PM, Heathen wrote:
At 1/4/2011 3:41:38 PM, Ogan wrote:

You see thats really hard to answer because Paganism in basically another way to say Polytheism, or believing in multiple Gods. The word "Pagan" is a group, there really isn't just one Pagan religion. For instance, I am Ásatrú, which is a form of Germanic Neopaganism, or in simpler terms, I share the same beliefs of Vikings of old time before Christianity. I pray to Odin, Thor, Loki (not so much Loki actually, he is the god of mischief so I don't need mischief in my life.) I pray to them and many other Gods. I also believe in trolls and gnomes and creatures of that nature along with Land-Spirits. There are other types of Paganism such as Greek, Roman, and even witchcraft. If you have heard of Wicca, which is an extremely Earth based Religion (more so than most others), you have heard of a Pagan religion. Im sorry if I have not answered your question as thoroughly as you wanted it but the question "What is Paganism" is kind of hard to explain in simple terms. I tried my best.

this
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 6:19:25 PM
At 1/4/2011 6:09:48 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 1/4/2011 6:02:36 PM, Heathen wrote:

So you worship the Áss? *immature chuckling*
Sorry, had to.

Why exactly do you believe it?
btw thats actually pretty close.

Ásatrú is an Icelandic (and equivalently Old Norse) term consisting of two parts. The first is Ása-, genitive of Áss, denoting one of the group of Norse heathen gods called Æsir.