Christians Don't believe the biblical Flood

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 3:56:20 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/20/2016 3:22:01 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
For the record, not all Christians believe the flood covered the entire planet. But that's another discussion.
http://www.debate.org...
Genesis 6:17
I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 4:00:08 PM
At 8/20/2016 3:56:20 PM, bulproof wrote:
For the record, not all Christians believe the flood covered the entire planet. But that's another discussion.
I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish.

Only Biblical literalists believe in the flood fairy tale.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 4:59:50 PM
I attended a Catholic grade school, and middle school. And while there, we were taught that these "miracles" were most likely exaggerations of natural events. This was not meant to imply that they were any less miraculous, or that they were not the result of 'divine intervention'. But that they were not the astonishing feats of magic that the subsequent story-tellers made them out to be.

Most myths have some basis in fact, and then are altered and exaggerated in the telling and re-telling of them to emphasize an ideal that has subsequently been attached to the events. That doesn't make them dishonest. That doesn't make them "false". It's just the nature of mythical idealism. It's just another way we humans use to communicate complex ideas to one another.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 5:09:46 PM
At 8/20/2016 4:59:50 PM, PureX wrote:
I attended a Catholic grade school, and middle school. And while there, we were taught that these "miracles" were most likely exaggerations of natural events. This was not meant to imply that they were any less miraculous, or that they were not the result of 'divine intervention'. But that they were not the astonishing feats of magic that the subsequent story-tellers made them out to be.

Most myths have some basis in fact, and then are altered and exaggerated in the telling and re-telling of them to emphasize an ideal that has subsequently been attached to the events. That doesn't make them dishonest. That doesn't make them "false". It's just the nature of mythical idealism. It's just another way we humans use to communicate complex ideas to one another.

I might add as one who takes Catholicism seriously and did not just sit through it, the idea these things are looked at as magical, impossible events demonstrates a decidedly atheistic viewpoint. Just because humans are incapable of something, it does not then become impossible or trickery for a higher being.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 5:15:32 PM
At 8/20/2016 5:09:46 PM, Throwback wrote:

I might add as one who takes Catholicism seriously and did not just sit through it, the idea these things are looked at as magical, impossible events demonstrates a decidedly atheistic viewpoint. Just because humans are incapable of something, it does not then become impossible or trickery for a higher being.
So worldwide flood or not?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 5:30:19 PM
C'mon godbotherers join in the chorus and tell us that your god is a liar, well at least the poor goatshaggers who created him lie.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 5:34:27 PM
At 8/20/2016 5:15:32 PM, bulproof wrote:

I realize I am answering one I ought not, but, yes.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 5:39:13 PM
At 8/20/2016 5:34:27 PM, Throwback wrote:

You have geological evidence to support this claim? I would love you to produce it.
Or perhaps you have historical evidence, I would love you to produce it?
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 5:40:53 PM
At 8/20/2016 5:39:13 PM, bulproof wrote:

You have geological evidence to support this claim? I would love you to produce it.

OK
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 5:44:43 PM
At 8/20/2016 5:40:53 PM, Throwback wrote:
At 8/20/2016 5:39:13 PM, bulproof wrote:

OK
You claim that a worlwide flood occurred.
I claim that invisible martians disguise themselves as invisible Yeti's.
Your claim is stupid.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 5:47:56 PM

It is only dishonest when it is represented as something other than, what can only be, a fictional story.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 5:50:41 PM

Not.

But certainly massive 'local' floods that become legend, and then mythological, as philosophical and/or theological ideals became attached to them, and conveyed by their telling and re-telling.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 5:56:16 PM
At 8/20/2016 5:50:41 PM, PureX wrote:

Not.

But certainly massive 'local' floods that become legend, and then mythological, as philosophical and/or theological ideals became attached to them, and conveyed by their telling and re-telling.
I understand your pov, unfortunately the bible god calls you a liar and there are millions of god botherers who can't think enough to understand your truth.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 5:57:13 PM
At 8/20/2016 5:47:56 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

It is only dishonest when it is represented as something other than, what can only be, a fictional story.

I agree. But we need to be careful in making that judgment, because most fictional stories pretend to be factual. It's a part of of how fiction works. And most mythical stories have some basis in factuality because they originate in actual events. Such that strutting around proclaiming that all religious myth is fiction would be wrong. Or worse, presuming that because a story contains myth and fiction it cannot, then, also convey significant truth.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 6:01:08 PM
At 8/20/2016 5:56:16 PM, bulproof wrote:

I understand your pov, unfortunately the bible god calls you a liar and there are millions of god botherers who can't think enough to understand your truth.

The "Bible God" doesn't call me anything, because the Bible was written and is being interpreted by men. And nowhere in the text does it claim, otherwise. And those men who claim otherwise are lying.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 6:09:48 PM
At 8/20/2016 6:01:08 PM, PureX wrote:

The "Bible God" doesn't call me anything, because the Bible was written and is being interpreted by men. And nowhere in the text does it claim, otherwise. And those men who claim otherwise are lying.
I see you have yet to escape the catholic indoctrination, but you're trying.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 6:16:30 PM
At 8/20/2016 6:09:48 PM, bulproof wrote:

And I see you like to judge others as if you were the active right hand of some omni-god. ;)
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 6:19:09 PM
At 8/20/2016 6:16:30 PM, PureX wrote:
At 8/20/2016 6:09:48 PM, bulproof wrote:

And I see you like to judge others as if you were the active right hand of some omni-god. ;)
I am!
createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 6:37:07 PM
I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish.: :

The flood was necessary to set up the age ending destruction that's coming soon.

Isaiah 24
18: He who flees at the sound of the terror shall fall into the pit; and he who climbs out of the pit shall be caught in the snare. For the windows of heaven are opened, and the foundations of the earth tremble.
19: The earth is utterly broken, the earth is rent asunder, the earth is violently shaken.
20: The earth staggers like a drunken man, it sways like a hut; its transgression lies heavy upon it, and it falls, and will not rise again.

Isaiah 66
15: "For behold, the LORD will come in fire, and his chariots like the stormwind, to render his anger in fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.
16: For by fire will the LORD execute judgment, and by his sword, upon all flesh; and those slain by the LORD shall be many.

2 Peter 3
10: But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up.

Zephaniah 1
18: Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them on the day of the wrath of the LORD. In the fire of his jealous wrath, all the earth shall be consumed; for a full, yea, sudden end he will make of all the inhabitants of the earth.

Jeremiah 4
22: "For my people are foolish, they know me not; they are stupid children, they have no understanding. They are skilled in doing evil, but how to do good they know not."
23: I looked on the earth, and lo, it was waste and void; and to the heaven, and they had no light.
24: I looked on the mountains, and lo, they were quaking, and all the hills moved to and fro.
25: I looked, and lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the air had fled.
26: I looked, and lo, the fruitful land was a desert, and all its cities were laid in ruins before the LORD, before his fierce anger.
27: For thus says the LORD, "The whole land shall be a desolation; yet I will not make a full end.
28: For this the earth shall mourn, and the heavens above be black; for I have spoken, I have purposed; I have not relented nor will I turn back."
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 6:39:24 PM
At 8/20/2016 6:37:07 PM, createdman wrote:
I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish.: :

The flood was necessary to set up the age ending destruction that's coming soon.

Isaiah 24
18: He who flees at the sound of the terror shall fall into the pit; and he who climbs out of the pit shall be caught in the snare. For the windows of heaven are opened, and the foundations of the earth tremble.
19: The earth is utterly broken, the earth is rent asunder, the earth is violently shaken.
20: The earth staggers like a drunken man, it sways like a hut; its transgression lies heavy upon it, and it falls, and will not rise again.

Isaiah 66
15: "For behold, the LORD will come in fire, and his chariots like the stormwind, to render his anger in fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.
16: For by fire will the LORD execute judgment, and by his sword, upon all flesh; and those slain by the LORD shall be many.

2 Peter 3
10: But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up.

Zephaniah 1
18: Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them on the day of the wrath of the LORD. In the fire of his jealous wrath, all the earth shall be consumed; for a full, yea, sudden end he will make of all the inhabitants of the earth.

Jeremiah 4
22: "For my people are foolish, they know me not; they are stupid children, they have no understanding. They are skilled in doing evil, but how to do good they know not."
23: I looked on the earth, and lo, it was waste and void; and to the heaven, and they had no light.
24: I looked on the mountains, and lo, they were quaking, and all the hills moved to and fro.
26: I looked, and lo, the fruitful land was a desert, and all its cities were laid in ruins before the LORD, before his fierce anger.
27: For thus says the LORD, "The whole land shall be a desolation; yet I will not make a full end.
28: For this the earth shall mourn, and the heavens above be black; for I have spoken, I have purposed; I have not relented nor will I turn back."

When did this "necessary" flood occur, BoG?
createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 6:41:33 PM
At 8/20/2016 6:39:24 PM, desmac wrote:

Isaiah 24

Isaiah 66

2 Peter 3

Zephaniah 1

Jeremiah 4

When did this "necessary" flood occur, BoG? : :

It doesn't matter when it occurred. What's important is what will happen after all flesh has perished an hour after the earth begins to shake violently.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 6:43:40 PM
At 8/20/2016 6:41:33 PM, createdman wrote:

Isaiah 24

Isaiah 66

2 Peter 3

Zephaniah 1

Jeremiah 4

It doesn't matter when it occurred. What's important is what will happen after all flesh has perished an hour after the earth begins to shake violently.

It might not matter to you that all human and animal life was murdered, but I would like to know when this genocide took place.
createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 6:46:16 PM
At 8/20/2016 6:43:40 PM, desmac wrote:

Isaiah 24

Isaiah 66

2 Peter 3

Zephaniah 1

Jeremiah 4

It might not matter to you that all human and animal life was murdered, but I would like to know when this genocide took place. : :

The flood waters didn't kill all flesh but the flood set up the conditions for the last earth change that's coming soon.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 6:47:18 PM
At 8/20/2016 6:46:16 PM, createdman wrote:

Isaiah 24

Isaiah 66

2 Peter 3

Zephaniah 1

Jeremiah 4

It might not matter to you that all human and animal life was murdered, but I would like to know when this genocide took place. : :

The flood waters didn't kill all flesh but the flood set up the conditions for the last earth change that's coming soon.

Define soon.
createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 6:50:22 PM
At 8/20/2016 6:47:18 PM, desmac wrote:

Isaiah 24

Isaiah 66

2 Peter 3

Zephaniah 1

Jeremiah 4

Define soon. : :

When the earth begins to shake under your feet and not stop, you won't have any time to contemplate what's going to happen soon after that.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 6:51:26 PM
At 8/20/2016 6:50:22 PM, createdman wrote:

Isaiah 24

Isaiah 66

2 Peter 3

Zephaniah 1

Jeremiah 4

When the earth begins to shake under your feet and not stop, you won't have any time to contemplate what's going to happen soon after that.

Define soon.
createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 6:52:37 PM
At 8/20/2016 6:51:26 PM, desmac wrote:

Isaiah 24

Isaiah 66

2 Peter 3

Zephaniah 1

Jeremiah 4

Not only are you stupid but you're lazy, too.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 6:55:12 PM
At 8/20/2016 6:52:37 PM, createdman wrote:

Isaiah 24

Isaiah 66

2 Peter 3

Zephaniah 1

Jeremiah 4

So the "voice of god" dosn't know when the flood was, or when the "final earth change" will be.
It appears that "the voice of god" know Sweet Feck All.
createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 7:01:15 PM
At 8/20/2016 6:55:12 PM, desmac wrote:

Isaiah 24

Isaiah 66

2 Peter 3

Zephaniah 1

Jeremiah 4

So the "voice of god" dosn't know when the flood was, or when the "final earth change" will be.
It appears that "the voice of god" know Sweet Feck All. : :

The voice of God is not the Creator. It's only the technology that our Creator used to speak commands into to build his simulation program. It's also known as "my servant David" in the following prophecy.

Ezekiel 34
22: I will save my flock, they shall no longer be a prey; and I will judge between sheep and sheep.
23: And I will set up over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he shall feed them: he shall feed them and be their shepherd.
24: And I, the LORD, will be their God, and my servant David shall be prince among them; I, the LORD, have spoken.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 7:16:02 PM
At 8/20/2016 7:01:15 PM, createdman wrote:
At 8/20/2016 6:55:12 PM, desmac wrote:

Isaiah 24

Isaiah 66

2 Peter 3

Zephaniah 1

Jeremiah 4

It appears that "the voice of god" know Sweet Feck All. : :

The voice of God is not the Creator. It's only the technology that our Creator used to speak commands into to build his simulation program. It's also known as "my servant David" in the following prophecy.

Ezekiel 34
22: I will save my flock, they shall no longer be a prey; and I will judge between sheep and sheep.
23: And I will set up over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he shall feed them: he shall feed them and be their shepherd.
24: And I, the LORD, will be their God, and my servant David shall be prince among them; I, the LORD, have spoken.

So it is just brad that knows nothing.