Jump to topic:

Is 100% Certainty Ignorant? (again)

Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 4:57:55 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
---------------------- PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD----------------------

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, on to the discussion. My question is: Is it ignorant to be 100% certain about your beliefs? Is it ignorant to believe, with absolute certainty, that there is or is not a God? My opinion is that yes, it is ignorant to believe, with 100% certainty, that your beliefs are correct. To gain knowledge, you must have an open mind and be willing to accept different possibilities and opinions. What room is there new opinions and ideas, when you are 100% certain that your opinion is correct? How can you have an open mind if you are convinced that your beliefs and your beliefs only are correct? I welcome people from any religious or non-religious background to join in. If you have an opinion on the matter, I would love to hear it.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 5:45:09 AM
That seems like a pretty bad reason for making a new topic. Why not just use the old topic?
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 6:50:36 AM
At 8/21/2016 4:57:55 AM, Logic_Not_Ignorance wrote:

Now, on to the discussion. My question is: Is it ignorant to be 100% certain about your beliefs?

NO.

Is it ignorant to believe, with absolute certainty, that there is or is not a God?

NO because it depends on your definition and perception of the word God.
If you define and perceive God as a mythical character, it is not ignorant to disbelieve in a mythical characters existence and understand that all mythical characters are a construct of human imagination. It is actually intelligent to understand that all gods are mythical characters.
If you define God as a concept, it is not ignorant to believe the concept exists.
Therefore in one sense God does exist and in another God does not exist. That is why belief or non belief in God depends on the individual perception and definition of the word.
In my case I understand both aspects and I believe in God defined as reality itself which includes all the forces of the universe but I do not believe in God defined as an invisible person who has supernatural creative powers.

My opinion is that yes, it is ignorant to believe, with 100% certainty, that your beliefs are correct.

How certain are you that Superman is a mythical character? If you are 100% certain about it, does that make you ignorant?

To gain knowledge, you must have an open mind and be willing to accept different possibilities and opinions.

Are you open to the possibility that fairies may exist in order to gain knowledge about them?
Is it not possible to gain knowledge about mythical characters while still discarding the possibility that they might be real?

What room is there new opinions and ideas, when you are 100% certain that your opinion is correct?

There is always plenty of room for new opinions and ideas. The human mind has unlimited possibilities due to its powers of imagination.
Whether something is correct or incorrect is a matter of human perception and interpretation. What may appear to be logical and correct to one person might appear to be illogical and incorrect to another.

How can you have an open mind if you are convinced that your beliefs and your beliefs only are correct?

The same as you can be convinced of something being a fact but still have an open mind to be proven wrong. IF someone proves that what you thought was a fact is not a fact at all, an open minded person will stand corrected but unless someone can show you why your opinion or belief in a fact is wrong, what reason would you have to doubt it?
The fact is that most people are reluctant to change their minds about the things they have convinced themselves are true and real.
https://www.sciencedaily.com...

I welcome people from any religious or non-religious background to join in. If you have an opinion on the matter, I would love to hear it.
createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 7:09:27 AM
At 8/21/2016 6:50:36 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Now, on to the discussion. My question is: Is it ignorant to be 100% certain about your beliefs?

NO.

Is it ignorant to believe, with absolute certainty, that there is or is not a God?

If you define and perceive God as a mythical character, it is not ignorant to disbelieve in a mythical characters existence and understand that all mythical characters are a construct of human imagination. It is actually intelligent to understand that all gods are mythical characters.
If you define God as a concept, it is not ignorant to believe the concept exists.
Therefore in one sense God does exist and in another God does not exist. That is why belief or non belief in God depends on the individual perception and definition of the word.
In my case I understand both aspects and I believe in God defined as reality itself which includes all the forces of the universe but I do not believe in God defined as an invisible person who has supernatural creative powers.

My opinion is that yes, it is ignorant to believe, with 100% certainty, that your beliefs are correct.

How certain are you that Superman is a mythical character? If you are 100% certain about it, does that make you ignorant?

To gain knowledge, you must have an open mind and be willing to accept different possibilities and opinions.

Are you open to the possibility that fairies may exist in order to gain knowledge about them?
Is it not possible to gain knowledge about mythical characters while still discarding the possibility that they might be real?

What room is there new opinions and ideas, when you are 100% certain that your opinion is correct?

There is always plenty of room for new opinions and ideas. The human mind has unlimited possibilities due to its powers of imagination.
Whether something is correct or incorrect is a matter of human perception and interpretation. What may appear to be logical and correct to one person might appear to be illogical and incorrect to another.

How can you have an open mind if you are convinced that your beliefs and your beliefs only are correct?

His mind is about as open as your mind. Fools don't even know what a mind is.

The same as you can be convinced of something being a fact but still have an open mind to be proven wrong. IF someone proves that what you thought was a fact is not a fact at all, an open minded person will stand corrected but unless someone can show you why your opinion or belief in a fact is wrong, what reason would you have to doubt it?
The fact is that most people are reluctant to change their minds about the things they have convinced themselves are true and real.

I welcome people from any religious or non-religious background to join in. If you have an opinion on the matter, I would love to hear it.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 8:29:34 AM
---------------------- PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD----------------------

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, on to the discussion. My question is: Is it ignorant to be 100% certain about your beliefs? Is it ignorant to believe, with absolute certainty, that there is or is not a God? My opinion is that yes, it is ignorant to believe, with 100% certainty, that your beliefs are correct. To gain knowledge, you must have an open mind and be willing to accept different possibilities and opinions. What room is there new opinions and ideas, when you are 100% certain that your opinion is correct? How can you have an open mind if you are convinced that your beliefs and your beliefs only are correct? I welcome people from any religious or non-religious background to join in. If you have an opinion on the matter, I would love to hear it.

You are right but isn't it being very picky at the same time?

There are people who will suck every last drop out of the 0.1% of doubt and turn it into a fact.
Common sense says that in all probability, there is no God and that religious texts are essentially hyped up hogwash.
Yet there are people out there who wear vey thick spectacles and have bed-wetting problems who will make ridiculous conclusions from fairy tales.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 11:08:16 AM

NO.

The ancient use of the word myth....
The word " Myth" originates from the Greek word mythos, meaning "word" or "tale" or "true narrative", referring not only to the means by which it was transmitted but also to its being rooted in truth. Mythos was also closely related to the word myo, meaning "to teach", or "to initiate into the mysteries". This is how the word was interpreted by Homer"who is generally identified to have lived in the 7 th or 8 th century B.C.E."when composing his great works, including The Iliad , in which he meant to convey a truth.
http://www.ancient-origins.net...

createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 11:12:30 AM
At 8/21/2016 8:29:34 AM, Willows wrote:

There are people who will suck every last drop out of the 0.1% of doubt and turn it into a fact.
Common sense says that in all probability, there is no God and that religious texts are essentially hyped up hogwash.
Yet there are people out there who wear vey thick spectacles and have bed-wetting problems who will make ridiculous conclusions from fairy tales. : :

It's obvious you weren't chosen to get to know how you and your life experiences were created.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 1:22:28 PM
At 8/21/2016 11:12:30 AM, createdman wrote:

Yet there are people out there who wear vey thick spectacles and have bed-wetting problems who will make ridiculous conclusions from fairy tales. : :

It's obvious you weren't chosen to get to know how you and your life experiences were created.

You seem to be making a very pre-determined assumption. Are you 100% sure about that?
createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 1:58:35 PM
At 8/21/2016 1:22:28 PM, Willows wrote:

You seem to be making a very pre-determined assumption. Are you 100% sure about that? : :

Everything you experience is predetermined by your Creator.
Amoranemix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 2:02:37 PM
I didn't read the original thread out of laziness.

One should make distinction between knowing something true and knowing something false.

If A is true, then knowing A with absolute certainty implies one has maximal knowledge of A.
If A is true, then having no idea of A makes one maximally ignorant of A.
If A is false, then having no idea of A makes one also maximally ignorant of A.
If A is false, then knowing A with absolute certainty implies maximal anti-knowledge of A.

I am not aware of a word to describe the last case, but is worse than ignorance.

If what one believes is true, the higher the certainty, the better.
If what one believes is false, the higher the certainty, the worse.

I have been / am debating a presuppositionalist who is so proud of his knowledge and of his certainty and chides sceptics for their ignorance. (It is a major part of his discourse.) The reason is that he and his favourite audience assume that knowledge is a good thing. So Christianity must be better than atheism, since adherents to the former belief know things that are claimed to be important (like how life originated) that atheists don't know. It doesn't occur to them that if what they know is false, it would be worse. (The audience of course, not expected to be bright, is expected to believe that what one knows is true.)

- Willows 6 to OP
If what they believe is true, then they are better off without the 0.1% of doubt.
The earth does not belong to man; man belongs to the earth.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 2:06:27 PM
At 8/21/2016 1:58:35 PM, createdman wrote:

You seem to be making a very pre-determined assumption. Are you 100% sure about that? : :

Do you have an open mind to the possibility that your statement may not be 100% correct?
createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 2:26:51 PM
At 8/21/2016 2:06:27 PM, Willows wrote:

Do you have an open mind to the possibility that your statement may not be 100% correct? : :

I can't possibly open up my mind more than what the voice of God can give me from the simulation program that we're all involved in.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 4:56:18 PM
At 8/21/2016 2:26:51 PM, createdman wrote:

Do you have an open mind to the possibility that your statement may not be 100% correct? : :

I can't possibly open up my mind more than what the voice of God can give me from the simulation program that we're all involved in.

"The mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work well unless it is opened"
In your case I suppose you can get away with it for a while but what happens with a partially opened parachute when you hit the ground?
createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 5:24:17 PM
At 8/21/2016 4:56:18 PM, Willows wrote:

In your case I suppose you can get away with it for a while but what happens with a partially opened parachute when you hit the ground? : :

Is your parachute opened up enough to take in what was revealed to me this past 8 years via the source where we all came from?
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 5:26:39 PM
At 8/21/2016 5:24:17 PM, createdman wrote:

In your case I suppose you can get away with it for a while but what happens with a partially opened parachute when you hit the ground? : :

Is your parachute opened up enough to take in what was revealed to me this past 8 years via the source where we all came from?

What did your doctors reveal to you about your psychiatric disorder, BoG?
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 5:42:05 PM

Yep, sure, might have a few lines twisted but otherwise....fully opened.
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 6:45:16 PM

That doesn't really answer the question. Besides, what proof do you have that our lives and experiences were created by some supernatural being?
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 6:46:45 PM
At 8/21/2016 5:45:09 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
That seems like a pretty bad reason for making a new topic. Why not just use the old topic?

I can keep track of this one more easily. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience.
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 7:19:04 PM

NO.

I don't care how you define God, the question is whether or not complete, unquestioned belief in a God is ignorant. The definition of God doesn't matter. It's the 100% belief in a God or any opinion that is the subject or this discussion.

It is not possible for Superman to exist as portrayed in comic books and movies, as he defies the laws of physics. It could be possible, in our enormous universe, for a life form similar to Superman to exist. He could even be called Superman and come from his destroyed planet Krypton. Since it is impossible for the comic book Superman to exist, however, it is reasonable to say that he does not exist.

It is not possible for magical creatures like fairies to exist. Again, there may be creatures similar to fairies somewhere in our universe, but magic defies the laws of physics.

Then you find me a Jehova's Witness that accepts the possibility that we atheists were right all along.

Why should you rely on other people to prove you wrong? Why should you not question yourself and your beliefs?

Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 7:21:09 PM

Two words. Uncertainty Principal. A completely deterministic universe is impossible.
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 7:25:44 PM

Are you open to the possibility that you could be wrong?
createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 8:19:52 PM
At 8/21/2016 5:26:39 PM, desmac wrote:

What did your doctors reveal to you about your psychiatric disorder, BoG? : :

Who is BoG?
createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 8:24:43 PM
At 8/21/2016 5:42:05 PM, Willows wrote:

Yep, sure, might have a few lines twisted but otherwise....fully opened. : :

Watch this interview I had with a friend I met last winter. You might learn something new. https://www.youtube.com...
createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 8:26:02 PM
At 8/21/2016 6:45:16 PM, Logic_Not_Ignorance wrote:

That doesn't really answer the question. Besides, what proof do you have that our lives and experiences were created by some supernatural being? : :

I'm not talking about some supernatural being. I'm talking about very advanced technology that was used to create you and all your experiences.
createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 8:26:58 PM
At 8/21/2016 7:21:09 PM, Logic_Not_Ignorance wrote:

Two words. Uncertainty Principal. A completely deterministic universe is impossible. : :

That depends on who determined it.
createdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 8:28:00 PM
At 8/21/2016 7:25:44 PM, Logic_Not_Ignorance wrote:

Are you open to the possibility that you could be wrong? : :

It's impossible for me to be wrong even though the one typing this post used to be wrong all the time.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 9:10:31 PM
At 8/21/2016 8:19:52 PM, createdman wrote:
At 8/21/2016 5:26:39 PM, desmac wrote:

What did your doctors reveal to you about your psychiatric disorder, BoG? : :

Who is BoG?

Nobody.
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 1:26:30 PM
At 8/21/2016 8:26:02 PM, createdman wrote:
At 8/21/2016 6:45:16 PM, Logic_Not_Ignorance wrote:

That doesn't really answer the question. Besides, what proof do you have that our lives and experiences were created by some supernatural being? : :

I'm not talking about some supernatural being. I'm talking about very advanced technology that was used to create you and all your experiences.
Then where is your proof that such a technology exists? Who created that technology?
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 1:29:50 PM
At 8/21/2016 8:26:58 PM, createdman wrote:
At 8/21/2016 7:21:09 PM, Logic_Not_Ignorance wrote:

Two words. Uncertainty Principal. A completely deterministic universe is impossible. : :

That depends on who determined it.
Not really. It doesn't matter who or what created the universe. The universe cannot be completely deterministic. The Uncertainty Principle still holds.