Jump to topic:

Arguments for/against a limited "god"?

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 4:25:54 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I hear many attempted arguments for and against the existence of "god" that usually involves some form of an unlimited "god".

But what about a limited one? Usually, I hear "if god is limited than it isn't god", but ignoring this... What are arguments for or against the existence of a limited god? How would you define such a god?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 8:13:55 PM
At 8/22/2016 4:25:54 AM, SNP1 wrote:
I hear many attempted arguments for and against the existence of "god" that usually involves some form of an unlimited "god".

But what about a limited one? Usually, I hear "if god is limited than it isn't god", but ignoring this... What are arguments for or against the existence of a limited god? How would you define such a god?

I argue against all notions of God from the standpoint of psychology. While a full argument would be very long if explanations were included, here is a small portion of what my argument's potential in a DDO debate; see my R2 argument. (http://www.debate.org...)
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 8:42:30 PM
At 8/22/2016 8:13:55 PM, Chaosism wrote:

I argue against all notions of God from the standpoint of psychology. While a full argument would be very long if explanations were included, here is a small portion of what my argument's potential in a DDO debate; see my R2 argument. (http://www.debate.org...)

My main view is that a limitless god is an incoherent concept, in the way that it is not truth apt, and thus theological noncognitivism entails.

I also view god as having to be limitless.

I am asking this to get to the question of a limited god.
#WarOnDDO
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 9:04:04 PM
At 8/22/2016 8:42:30 PM, SNP1 wrote:

My main view is that a limitless god is an incoherent concept, in the way that it is not truth apt, and thus theological noncognitivism entails.

Agreed.

Aren't you getting into purely subjective territory, though? If God is not limitless, then why call him God? I think that's totally opinionative.

I think some notions of limited gods exist, like those of the Greek pantheon and Native American spirits and whatnot. They're not limitless in any capacity (to my limited understanding).
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 9:07:13 PM

A limited "god". limited in what way?
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 10:03:04 PM
At 8/22/2016 9:04:04 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Agreed.

Aren't you getting into purely subjective territory, though? If God is not limitless, then why call him God? I think that's totally opinionative.

Agreed. My view is that if God is not actually limitless, than what makes something a god is completely relativistic.

Any limited being could be a "god" to another limited being, as long as the one labeled "god" is greater than the others.

How would you be able to tell the difference between a super advanced being and a god if god is limited? If you cannot tell the difference, than what objective reason is there to label any being as "god"?

Of course, this is just my opinion at the moment.

I think some notions of limited gods exist, like those of the Greek pantheon and Native American spirits and whatnot. They're not limitless in any capacity (to my limited understanding).
#WarOnDDO
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 10:04:08 PM
At 8/22/2016 9:07:13 PM, bigotry wrote:

A god without any sort of "omni" characteristics.

A god with a limited power, not unlimited.
A god with a limited knowledge, not unlimited.
Etc.
#WarOnDDO
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 12:30:38 AM
At 8/22/2016 10:04:08 PM, SNP1 wrote:

Etc.

What really makes them a god then?
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 3:07:25 AM
At 8/23/2016 12:30:38 AM, bigotry wrote:

Etc.

If you are unable to comprehend the basics of the OP then just don't comment on the damn thread.
#WarOnDDO
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 11:37:44 AM
At 8/23/2016 3:07:25 AM, SNP1 wrote:

Etc.

If you are unable to comprehend the basics of the OP then just don't comment on the damn thread.

For once I follow Bigots reasoning here.

What on earth are you going on about?
"If I can't prove that God exists maybe I can get half a God over the line".
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 12:06:43 PM
It depends on how you define "limited."

If God cannot defy the laws of logic does this make God "limited?"

There is also an important distinction between maximal and infinite.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 2:05:02 PM
At 8/22/2016 10:03:04 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 8/22/2016 9:04:04 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Agreed.

Agreed. My view is that if God is not actually limitless, than what makes something a god is completely relativistic.

Any limited being could be a "god" to another limited being, as long as the one labeled "god" is greater than the others.

How would you be able to tell the difference between a super advanced being and a god if god is limited? If you cannot tell the difference, than what objective reason is there to label any being as "god"?

Of course, this is just my opinion at the moment.

Well, be that as it may, I agree with it. :)

bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 3:34:04 PM

Etc.

You haven't even defined what a limited god would be and contrasted it with what a god would be. If you cant even define something, how can you argue for its existence?
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 8:33:16 PM
At 8/23/2016 3:34:04 PM, bigotry wrote:

Etc.

You haven't even defined what a limited god would be and contrasted it with what a god would be. If you cant even define something, how can you argue for its existence?

I already defined it to you, a god that lacks "omni" characteristics.
It is different from other gods as other gods contain "omni" characteristics.
#WarOnDDO
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 8:58:14 PM
At 8/23/2016 8:33:16 PM, SNP1 wrote:

Etc.

That's simply not a god then.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 9:25:03 PM

God is the creator of the universe. Considering the Conservation of Energy and Mass, we can deduce that God is AT LEAST as powerful as all energy in the Universe. This for me satisfies "omnipotent"

As for limitations, I imagine everything is limited by it's nature. And God is no different. While God may have the power to do anything I say he would still be limited by his nature. Not knowing what that nature is objectively composed of I could AT LEAST surmise God is limited by his own self control.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 9:44:43 PM
At 8/23/2016 8:58:14 PM, bigotry wrote:

Etc.

Again, read the OP.

I am saying outside of saying that "That means it isn't God" what arguments there are.
#WarOnDDO
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 9:53:30 PM
At 8/23/2016 9:44:43 PM, SNP1 wrote:

Etc.

Again, read the OP.

I am saying outside of saying that "That means it isn't God" what arguments there are.

Well there are none. By your definition anyone could claim they are God or a god. What your saying is more in line with a Kabalistic interpretation of life.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 10:03:39 PM
At 8/23/2016 9:53:30 PM, bigotry wrote:

Etc.

Again, read the OP.

Well there are none. By your definition anyone could claim they are God or a god. What your saying is more in line with a Kabalistic interpretation of life.

Not necessarily.
There exist pagan pantheons of gods where none of the gods have omni characteristics
#WarOnDDO
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 10:11:11 PM
At 8/23/2016 10:03:39 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 8/23/2016 9:53:30 PM, bigotry wrote:

Etc.

Again, read the OP.

Not necessarily.
There exist pagan pantheons of gods where none of the gods have omni characteristics

Like which one? Did the same specific group of pagans your going to refer to also have an Omni characteristic god?
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 11:16:10 PM

Yeah yeah, God is "omni" this and "omni" that...baloney. God is a maximal Being, what's the difference? one is more flexible than the other...

The "Omni" definitions that are proposed about God are fabrications, so I like this topic only the word "limited" is a false misrepresentation, I wouldn't use that word, God is not limited in His own creations, rather creation is limited to God, or limited to principle/laws. I would define God as maximal. Maximal- "of or constituting a maximum; the highest or greatest possible."

Actually, surprisingly, upon thinking about it those "unlimited" or "omni" attributes not only suppress the qualities of God....but limit them as well... causing problems such as incoherence and contradiction which is why I prefer the word maximal, which means God is the greatest possible, outside of possible....there is no possible lol.

Here are a few points to consider in this link
http://plato.stanford.edu...

I propose God as a maximal Entity who creates environments (worlds), that He controls, while not controlling the inhabitants or their choices (will).

Imagine setting up an aquarium......
You are renting an apartment for a years lease, you decide you want to set up an aquarium during that time, and you know when you will set it up, and when you will take it down.

You set up/build the tank/environment, you add the beautiful scenery and decorations and aquascaping, you adjust and set the environment to inhabit the fish appropriately, and then when everything is calibrated and ready you acclimate the fish to the water and you have a mini God-like creation...

Now, suppose you are God, and the fish are you and I on earth.... have you (God) not complete control over the entire aquarium minus what the fish actually do within? yes you do, you can add, replace, discard, experiment, manipulate or change the environment, watch behavior ect at your own will... Are you not the "Master" of their world despite the fact they have their own will within the aquarium? of course you are, this is the same with God, though God is in complete control, we have our own will....
Now add to the fact that God knows our intentions, our thoughts therefore He knows what we will decide, not because He decided it, but because He knows our heart and desires/thoughts....before those intentions and desires manifest into reality.

Anyways, I use the lame fish tank analogy to illustrate the creation of God, how our own will and God's control are compatible.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 11:21:59 PM
At 8/23/2016 9:25:03 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

God is the creator of the universe. Considering the Conservation of Energy and Mass, we can deduce that God is AT LEAST as powerful as all energy in the Universe. This for me satisfies "omnipotent"

As for limitations, I imagine everything is limited by it's nature. And God is no different. While God may have the power to do anything I say he would still be limited by his nature. Not knowing what that nature is objectively composed of I could AT LEAST surmise God is limited by his own self control.

+1
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 2:36:34 AM

I believe Deists believe in a limited god as they do not believe in a god who can/will intervene.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 3:32:00 PM
At 8/24/2016 2:36:34 AM, matt8800 wrote:

I believe Deists believe in a limited god as they do not believe in a god who can/will intervene.
Sorry to interrupt but wouldnt that make deists in line with ancient Egyptian religion then? Crazy how there are no new ideas out there!