picknpull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 6:29:10 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/22/2016 5:59:11 AM, riyad70 wrote:
On the long course, what is the goal of atheists ? : :

I am not an atheist but I have many friends who are atheists. Most of them do not have any goal other than to keep experiencing life as they always have without any religious duty that theists feel compelled to do. Since atheists don't dwell on the notion of a god, they get along just fine unless they are attacked by theists who they see as hypocrites.

I've been involved in religious forums for over 9 years now and many of them have been taken over by atheists. Some of these atheists do have a goal to help former theists live life without the religious dogma that enslaved their minds. They are very helpful to these former theists who have learned what hypocrisy is all about.

Other atheists in these forums are only interested in antagonizing theists and arguing with them about the existence of a god. Many atheists are former theists who know more about the bible than most theists and know how to use their interpretations of the scriptures to refute the interpretations of the theists.

What is your goal with this thread?
riyad70
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 6:56:45 AM
At 8/22/2016 6:29:10 AM, picknpull wrote:

I am not an atheist but I have many friends who are atheists. Most of them do not have any goal other than to keep experiencing life as they always have without any religious duty that theists feel compelled to do. Since atheists don't dwell on the notion of a god, they get along just fine unless they are attacked by theists who they see as hypocrites.

I've been involved in religious forums for over 9 years now and many of them have been taken over by atheists. Some of these atheists do have a goal to help former theists live life without the religious dogma that enslaved their minds. They are very helpful to these former theists who have learned what hypocrisy is all about.

Other atheists in these forums are only interested in antagonizing theists and arguing with them about the existence of a god. Many atheists are former theists who know more about the bible than most theists and know how to use their interpretations of the scriptures to refute the interpretations of the theists.

I'm trying to figure out if atheists have something in common, a goal they want to reach at the end or they just like to argue for the sake of argument itself.
picknpull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 7:05:53 AM
At 8/22/2016 6:56:45 AM, riyad70 wrote:

I'm trying to figure out if atheists have something in common, a goal they want to reach at the end or they just like to argue for the sake of argument itself. : :

Most atheists I know hate being bothered by theists and their hypocrisy. They enjoy life as God planned it for them.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 7:12:04 AM

I'm trying to figure out if atheists have something in common, a goal they want to reach at the end or they just like to argue for the sake of argument itself.

Nothing about being an atheist necessarily entails ideological unity. We do all agree the current theological explanations fall flat but there will still be political/cultural differences among us. There some organizations like the FFRF and secular humanist groups that do advocate for the separation of Church and State though.
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 7:17:14 AM
On the long course, what is the goal of atheists ?

Atheists don't share the same ideologies and stuff. We don't all share common goals.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 7:32:04 AM

Disbelief that is all.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 11:02:58 AM
At 8/22/2016 7:05:53 AM, picknpull wrote:

I'm trying to figure out if atheists have something in common, a goal they want to reach at the end or they just like to argue for the sake of argument itself. : :

Most atheists I know hate being bothered by theists and their hypocrisy. They enjoy life as God planned it for them.

Nice one. :)
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 11:50:58 AM
Without a common doctrine, creed or worship, Riyad, there's no common goal among atheists. Atheism is a theological category, not a cultural or religious category. You don't need to read the same books, go to the same meetings, have the same customs, or support the same ideas to reject theological beliefs.

Individually though, atheists may get excited about similar things that people of faith do -- except for the theology, worship and afterlife part. We might love science, art, literature, poetry, music, philosophy, love, compassion, justice, peace, children, education, communities, ethics, and the opportunity to somehow improve things for ourselves and families, for our communities, for our fellow man, and for future generations -- any of these.
picknpull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 1:08:22 PM
At 8/22/2016 11:05:35 AM, dee-em wrote:
Oh no. It's Brad again. How long before the mindless preaching starts?
3 2 1 ... : :

Think of it as sharing knowledge, not preaching religion to you like Christians always do.

I can talk about all kinds of things other than our Creator. Try me !!!
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 1:24:42 PM
At 8/22/2016 1:08:22 PM, picknpull wrote:

Think of it as sharing knowledge, not preaching religion to you like Christians always do.

Okay. Did you understand the irony in your post to which I first responded? Was it deliberate or unintentional?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 1:25:01 PM
Atheism is the rejection of a theist claim.
What goal do you suppose that entails.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
picknpull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 1:41:55 PM
At 8/22/2016 1:24:42 PM, dee-em wrote:

Okay. Did you understand the irony in your post to which I first responded? Was it deliberate or unintentional? : :

It's only irony from your perspective. I am sharing my experiences that I've had with my atheist friends who hate theists and their hypocrisy. I am not a theist who practices religion and accuses everyone else about their sins without knowing who the hell they are. I know exactly who I am and my atheist friends admire that about me. They like the fact that I know where religion and science came from and why man builds false gods with their human hands. They get a little skeptical when I talk about the future but they know for sure that I'm not a hypocrite.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 1:44:40 PM

That there would be no such thing as atheism, which would mean there would be no such thing as theism. That would work quite well.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 1:44:41 PM

Gain knowledge, lead a good and fulfilling life, question everything, make the world a better place for those to come. These are my goals. I am an atheist, but these goals are not goals placed on me by atheism. Atheism doesn't really place anything on atheists. Atheism isn't a religion. We don't have one common set of beliefs or rules that we all have to live by. There is no real goal for every atheist to strive for. I set my goals so that I can be a good person, not a good atheist. To complete all of my goals without religious influence is just a bonus.
picknpull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 1:59:34 PM
At 8/22/2016 1:44:40 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

That there would be no such thing as atheism, which would mean there would be no such thing as theism. That would work quite well. : :

If it wasn't for God creating us and our experiences, there wouldn't be any theists or atheists. It would be just God creating a different simulation program other than the one we're involved in.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 5:32:11 PM
At 8/22/2016 1:59:34 PM, picknpull wrote:

That there would be no such thing as atheism, which would mean there would be no such thing as theism. That would work quite well. : :

If it wasn't for God creating us and our experiences, there wouldn't be any theists or atheists. It would be just God creating a different simulation program other than the one we're involved in.
Finding Demo.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 7:07:16 PM

My personal goal is to make a lot of money and retire early. Does that help?
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 7:28:22 PM

Your question assumes that atheists are a unified group. We aren't, so the question has no appropriate answer.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 8:30:41 PM

Not to have life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness be put into jeopardy because of what certain sacred writings predict or dictate.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 9:37:20 PM

To be able to reproduce children that they believe are simply animals and collateral damage.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 12:22:19 AM
At 8/22/2016 1:41:55 PM, picknpull wrote:

Okay. Did you understand the irony in your post to which I first responded? Was it deliberate or unintentional? : :

It's only irony from your perspective.

To tell atheists that they are enjoying life as God planned it for them is irony by anyone's perspective. That you can't see the contradiction is why having an intelligent conversation with you is nigh on impossible.

I am sharing my experiences that I've had with my atheist friends who hate theists and their hypocrisy. I am not a theist who practices religion and accuses everyone else about their sins without knowing who the hell they are. I know exactly who I am and my atheist friends admire that about me. They like the fact that I know where religion and science came from and why man builds false gods with their human hands. They get a little skeptical when I talk about the future but they know for sure that I'm not a hypocrite.

Hypocrite, no. Mentally ill, yes. If you really do have atheist friends then they either ridicule you or humour you since that is the almost uniform reaction you receive here. I fail to see how it would be any different in real life if you preach at them as the alleged voice of god like you do here incessantly.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 12:25:42 AM

And right on cue the preaching starts ...
picknpull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 8:57:38 AM
At 8/23/2016 12:22:19 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/22/2016 1:41:55 PM, picknpull wrote:

It's only irony from your perspective.

To tell atheists that they are enjoying life as God planned it for them is irony by anyone's perspective. That you can't see the contradiction is why having an intelligent conversation with you is nigh on impossible.

I know who is running the life of atheists so I'm not contradicting anything I've ever said. Atheists don't know how they were created or where they get their thoughts from so my atheist friends appreciate the knowledge I share with them when I talk about the technology that feeds their consciousness with life experiences. I don't have to mention the word "GOD" or "Creator" to teach them how they're created through that technology.

I am sharing my experiences that I've had with my atheist friends who hate theists and their hypocrisy. I am not a theist who practices religion and accuses everyone else about their sins without knowing who the hell they are. I know exactly who I am and my atheist friends admire that about me. They like the fact that I know where religion and science came from and why man builds false gods with their human hands. They get a little skeptical when I talk about the future but they know for sure that I'm not a hypocrite.

Hypocrite, no. Mentally ill, yes. If you really do have atheist friends then they either ridicule you or humour you since that is the almost uniform reaction you receive here. I fail to see how it would be any different in real life if you preach at them as the alleged voice of god like you do here incessantly. : :

You're the hypocrite who is judging me right now. I know exactly how you and all your life experiences were created but I can't help you believe that. That was planned out by your Creator who spoke a simulation program into existence by using the same exact technology that forms you into you.

It's too bad you weren't chosen to listen to the voice of God and obey his commandments. However, you will listen to his voice in Paradise.
picknpull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 8:58:28 AM
At 8/23/2016 12:25:42 AM, dee-em wrote:

And right on cue the preaching starts ... : :

It's called sharing knowledge you fool.
riyad70
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 9:29:33 AM
At 8/22/2016 7:07:16 PM, matt8800 wrote:

My personal goal is to make a lot of money and retire early. Does that help?

Yeah, very much.

It showed me that my question needs revision.
riyad70
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 9:32:17 AM
At 8/22/2016 8:09:48 PM, desmac wrote:
To sow the seeds of doubt.

Very much so, but to reach what ?
riyad70
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 9:41:00 AM
Maybe to make it more clear, followers of religions believe they are conveying a message or following a divine guidance which will make life better.

Do atheists believe atheism is better for humanity ?

So far from what I read in the posts, it will make no big difference for atheists whether to declare their atheism or keep it to themselves.