Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

To whom was the ransom paid?

bulproof
Posts: 25,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 12:58:24 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
A ransom is paid to an extortionist demanding payment for the return of a cherished item.
Who was the EXTORTIONIST who received the ransom?
bulproof
Posts: 25,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 1:44:00 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/23/2016 12:58:24 PM, bulproof wrote:
A ransom is paid to an extortionist demanding payment for the return of a cherished item.
Who was the EXTORTIONIST who received the ransom?

Don't any of you know the answer?
That's hilarious.
picknpull
Posts: 62
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 1:48:30 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/23/2016 1:44:00 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/23/2016 12:58:24 PM, bulproof wrote:
A ransom is paid to an extortionist demanding payment for the return of a cherished item.
Who was the EXTORTIONIST who received the ransom?

Don't any of you know the answer?
That's hilarious. : :

Deuteronomy 32
39: "`See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.
bulproof
Posts: 25,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 1:50:21 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/23/2016 1:48:30 PM, picknpull wrote:
At 8/23/2016 1:44:00 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/23/2016 12:58:24 PM, bulproof wrote:
A ransom is paid to an extortionist demanding payment for the return of a cherished item.
Who was the EXTORTIONIST who received the ransom?

Don't any of you know the answer?
That's hilarious. : :

Deuteronomy 32
39: "`See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.
Like I said feck off BoG.
picknpull
Posts: 62
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 1:56:33 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/23/2016 1:50:21 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/23/2016 1:48:30 PM, picknpull wrote:
At 8/23/2016 1:44:00 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/23/2016 12:58:24 PM, bulproof wrote:
A ransom is paid to an extortionist demanding payment for the return of a cherished item.
Who was the EXTORTIONIST who received the ransom?

Don't any of you know the answer?
That's hilarious. : :

Deuteronomy 32
39: "`See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.
Like I said feck off BoG. : :

Being mean to a friend is selfish. Why are you so selfish?
12_13
Posts: 1,365
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 8:41:04 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/23/2016 12:58:24 PM, bulproof wrote:
A ransom is paid to an extortionist demanding payment for the return of a cherished item.
Who was the EXTORTIONIST who received the ransom?

What ransom?
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 9:20:37 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/23/2016 12:58:24 PM, bulproof wrote:
A ransom is paid to an extortionist demanding payment for the return of a cherished item.
Who was the EXTORTIONIST who received the ransom?

This can happen when you take one verse out of the Bible and explain it's meaning not in context but with the modern colloquial use of the word.

"ransom" was used in 1 Timothy describing Jesus. The Greek word was translated as "ransom". In the time of the translation, the word ransom meant "deliverance" or "redemption". It did not mean "price paid to an extortionist".

From the Old English we can see why the word ransom now means and is used as "price paid to be set free" from an extortionist or kidnapper.

However the original Greek has the intention of relaying to the reader a sense of atonement. Taken in Context the price is a selfless sacrifice to pay for the debt earned by another.

Thanks bulpoop I hope others who read this thread can appreciate the value that researching a verses word usage at that time and place in history can have a great benefit on reliably understanding the author's intent.
bulproof
Posts: 25,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 4:25:11 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/23/2016 9:20:37 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
However the original Greek has the intention of relaying to the reader a sense of atonement. Taken in Context the price is a selfless sacrifice to pay for the debt earned by another.
So to whom was the DEBT paid, nice squirm though.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 3:55:15 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/24/2016 4:25:11 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/23/2016 9:20:37 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
However the original Greek has the intention of relaying to the reader a sense of atonement. Taken in Context the price is a selfless sacrifice to pay for the debt earned by another.
So to whom was the DEBT paid, nice squirm though.

God. I think the readers should get a more accurate interpretations than your modern English spin on it.
Omniverse
Posts: 973
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 8:41:25 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Interesting.

So to Trinitarians, God paid a ransom to Himself in order for Himself to forgive mankind on account of ground rules He Himself chose to establish?

That's, why, so precious!
bulproof
Posts: 25,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 8:44:19 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/24/2016 3:55:15 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 8/24/2016 4:25:11 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/23/2016 9:20:37 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
However the original Greek has the intention of relaying to the reader a sense of atonement. Taken in Context the price is a selfless sacrifice to pay for the debt earned by another.
So to whom was the DEBT paid, nice squirm though.

God. I think the readers should get a more accurate interpretations than your modern English spin on it.
And this payment to god was for what?