Jump to topic:

The Problem of Brad Holkesvig

dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 1:56:29 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Most members would be aware that there is a long-running problem in this forum with this mentally ill person who thinks he hears the voice of god in his head. His original account handle was bornofgod, aka BoG for short.

BoG was banned last year by the site administrator for continual derailment of threads with his incessant off-topic preaching. He had been given several chances to amend his ways but he could not control himself and the ban was made permanent. Unfortunately BoG has no scruples and has found a way to circumvent the ban by creating innumerable sock-puppets. The site administrator does not appear to have the means to prevent this. Instead, as soon as the sock-puppet is reported to him, he promptly closes it down. Then BoG creates another sock-puppet, derails thread after thread, and so it goes until someone reports him again.

Personally I find the lack of a technical solution to enforce a permanent ban very frustrating given his disruptive effect on intelligent debate. However, in its absence, I would like to propose an alternative. I will start a thread titled "Brad Holkesvig Alert". When anyone notices BoG appear in the forum under a new alias, simply add a post to the thread giving his latest sock-puppet name and at the same time report his post. When other members see the alert appear, this can be a cue to not engage him in any way.

Hopefully if we can get enough members to honour this approach then BoG won't be getting the interaction he craves, he will have sock-puppets closed down sooner, and the amount of disruption he causes can be limited. Sooner or later he might even lose interest in the site and move elsewhere. One question you may have is, how can you tell if it is BoG? Firstly, it will be an account created within the previous 24 hours. Secondly, he's fairly easy to spot if you have some experience with his preaching. If you are not sure, don't respond to the post and just wait. He gives himself away fairly quickly.

Any thoughts/improvements/suggestions before I create the alert thread?

Constructive responses only please.
picknpull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 2:02:14 PM
At 8/23/2016 1:56:29 PM, dee-em wrote:
Most members would be aware that there is a long-running problem in this forum with this mentally ill person who thinks he hears the voice of god in his head. His original account handle was bornofgod, aka BoG for short.

BoG was banned last year by the site administrator for continual derailment of threads with his incessant off-topic preaching. He had been given several chances to amend his ways but he could not control himself and the ban was made permanent. Unfortunately BoG has no scruples and has found a way to circumvent the ban by creating innumerable sock-puppets. The site administrator does not appear to have the means to prevent this. Instead, as soon as the sock-puppet is reported to him, he promptly closes it down. Then BoG creates another sock-puppet, derails thread after thread, and so it goes until someone reports him again.

Personally I find the lack of a technical solution to enforce a permanent ban very frustrating given his disruptive effect on intelligent debate. However, in its absence, I would like to propose an alternative. I will start a thread titled "Brad Holkesvig Alert". When anyone notices BoG appear in the forum under a new alias, simply add a post to the thread giving his latest sock-puppet name and at the same time report his post. When other members see the alert appear, this can be a cue to not engage him in any way.

Hopefully if we can get enough members to honour this approach then BoG won't be getting the interaction he craves, he will have sock-puppets closed down sooner, and the amount of disruption he causes can be limited. Sooner or later he might even lose interest in the site and move elsewhere. One question you may have is, how can you tell if it is BoG? Firstly, it will be an account created within the previous 24 hours. Secondly, he's fairly easy to spot if you have some experience with his preaching. If you are not sure, don't respond to the post and just wait. He gives himself away fairly quickly.

Constructive responses only please. : :

There were many members in this forum who were against BoG getting banned. You weren't one of them.
picknpull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 3:34:51 PM
At 8/23/2016 2:51:34 PM, dhardage wrote:
Seems like a reasonable plan. I'll go along with it. : :

It won't stop chosen believers from listening to the gospel I preach to them. You unbelievers can try all you want to stop the gospel from being heard but it's pointless. You don't understand that God planned everything so that when one of his believers sees my thread or comments, he or she will listen and believe the knowledge that I'm sharing with them.
thedynasty139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 3:49:02 PM
At 8/23/2016 3:34:51 PM, picknpull wrote:

It won't stop chosen believers from listening to the gospel I preach to them. You unbelievers can try all you want to stop the gospel from being heard but it's pointless. You don't understand that God planned everything so that when one of his believers sees my thread or comments, he or she will listen and believe the knowledge that I'm sharing with them.

How many followers do you have and how long have you been "preaching"?
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 4:05:28 PM

Brad, I'll say it again for the umpteenth time. Get some professional help.
picknpull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 5:04:14 PM
At 8/23/2016 3:49:02 PM, thedynasty139 wrote:

How many followers do you have and how long have you been "preaching"? : :

The gospel is heard by all those who God chose to hear it. The gospel is the voice of God. the same gospel that was heard in the mind of Abraham and all the prophets and other saints who came before me.

Galations 3
8: And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, "In you shall all the nations be blessed."
picknpull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 5:05:35 PM
At 8/23/2016 3:50:15 PM, thedynasty139 wrote:
And where is your "gospel"? : :

I am the gospel which is another name for the voice of God, word of the Lord, spoke Word, Word, Breath of Life, Tree of Life, Book of Life, Son of God, Messiah, Holy Spirit, etc.
picknpull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 5:06:34 PM
At 8/23/2016 4:05:28 PM, dhardage wrote:

Brad, I'll say it again for the umpteenth time. Get some professional help. : :

You would make a terrible psychiatrist. Quit bothering me with your false accusations.
thedynasty139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 5:54:16 PM
At 8/23/2016 5:05:35 PM, picknpull wrote:

I am the gospel which is another name for the voice of God, word of the Lord, spoke Word, Word, Breath of Life, Tree of Life, Book of Life, Son of God, Messiah, Holy Spirit, etc.

Where is your divine revelation? Where is the your book? Where are the signs and wonders?
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 6:04:38 PM

Now look what you have done Dee, You have given the nutsoid a whole new platform to spew from.
picknpull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 6:21:07 PM
At 8/23/2016 5:54:16 PM, thedynasty139 wrote:

Where is your divine revelation? Where is the your book? Where are the signs and wonders? : :

Listen to this interview I had a couple months ago and see what a saint has to go through in order to get this knowledge that our Creator wanted me to know. https://www.youtube.com...
thedynasty139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 6:42:12 PM
At 8/23/2016 6:21:07 PM, picknpull wrote:
At 8/23/2016 5:54:16 PM, thedynasty139 wrote:

Where is your divine revelation? Where is the your book? Where are the signs and wonders? : :

Listen to this interview I had a couple months ago and see what a saint has to go through in order to get this knowledge that our Creator wanted me to know. https://www.youtube.com...

It has 75 views. How can you claim to be a prophet when you hardly have an audience? Your message is not accessible to everyone. It's only in a remote corner of the vast, infinite internet. I myself would not have known you if I had not frequented this website. What about the other 7 billion people? How come they don't know you if you are everything you claim you are?
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 8:37:57 PM

I think that he should only be banned again if he is actually derailing threads.

Some of the accounts he makes don't actually derail threads and still get banned.
Encourage good behavior.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 9:50:36 PM

Social Ostracism.

I'm dismayed to see Atheist have no qualms using the same shaming techniques the religious patriarch have used in the past to suppress wicca, islam, and jews.

It's almost like it's not religions fault but some kind of innate nature of human beings to be so mean.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 10:17:27 PM

When someone gets out of hand or says something you find absurd just don't respond. I do it to you all the time :D
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 1:04:15 AM
At 8/23/2016 6:04:38 PM, desmac wrote:

Now look what you have done Dee, You have given the nutsoid a whole new platform to spew from.

Not really. He's a serial pest in almost every thread when he creates a new sock-puppet. The point is to not engage him.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 1:15:26 AM
At 8/23/2016 8:37:57 PM, SNP1 wrote:

I think that he should only be banned again if he is actually derailing threads.

He always ends up preaching his "message".

Some of the accounts he makes don't actually derail threads and still get banned.
Encourage good behavior.

As I said he had been given multiple opportunities to show good behaviour and failed to comply. Hence the permanent ban. We're past all that now. What we have is a recalcitrant who refuses to abide by the rules of the site and openly mocks the site admin. This is not a person who deserves another chance.

Besides I am totally serious when I say that he is mentally ill. Such people cannot reform unless they receive professional help and he refuses to even consider it. The fact that he is relatively harmless does not absolve him from being a serial pest who lowers the quality of the experience on this site.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 1:25:14 AM
At 8/23/2016 9:50:36 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Social Ostracism.

I'm dismayed to see Atheist have no qualms using the same shaming techniques the religious patriarch have used in the past to suppress wicca, islam, and jews.

I didn't ban him. It has nothing to do with atheism, fool. Get your facts straight before you mouth off. The site has rules and he broke them. Violating terms of use and being barred from a service is not social ostracism despite your faux indignation.

It's almost like it's not religions fault but some kind of innate nature of human beings to be so mean.

Lol. Is it mean when a policeman issues a ticket for speeding (leading to eventually taking away their driver's license) or is it about the welfare of society (in this case the DDO community) as a whole?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 1:28:03 AM
At 8/23/2016 10:17:27 PM, bigotry wrote:

When someone gets out of hand or says something you find absurd just don't respond. I do it to you all the time :D

And once again it has to be asked. Did you even read the post to which you are responding? Feel free to do so and then post something which is relevant.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 1:47:53 AM
At 8/24/2016 1:25:14 AM, dee-em wrote:

Social Ostracism.

I didn't ban him. It has nothing to do with atheism, fool. Get your facts straight before you mouth off. The site has rules and he broke them. Violating terms of use and being barred from a service is not social ostracism despite your faux indignation.

Lol. Is it mean when a policeman issues a ticket for speeding (leading to eventually taking away their driver's license) or is it about the welfare of society (in this case the DDO community) as a whole?

Right I forgot you're the enforcing arm of the state. (Unofficial)
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 1:49:21 AM
At 8/24/2016 1:15:26 AM, dee-em wrote:

Encourage good behavior.

As I said he had been given multiple opportunities to show good behaviour and failed to comply. Hence the permanent ban. We're past all that now. What we have is a recalcitrant who refuses to abide by the rules of the site and openly mocks the site admin. This is not a person who deserves another chance.

Besides I am totally serious when I say that he is mentally ill. Such people cannot reform unless they receive professional help and he refuses to even consider it. The fact that he is relatively harmless does not absolve him from being a serial pest who lowers the quality of the experience on this site.

He sticks to the Religion Forum. I think that even if we somehow permanently got rid of him that the sites quality would not be impacted whatsoever.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 1:53:57 AM
At 8/24/2016 1:47:53 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

Social Ostracism.

I asked for constructive responses. For you that meant an opportunity for some atheist bashing. Does this thread have anything to do with my atheism or is it you going into ad hominem attack mode at the drop of a hat? Who is the problem here, you or me? Stay out of the thread if you can't be civil and contribute something.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 2:01:07 AM
At 8/24/2016 1:49:21 AM, SNP1 wrote:

Encourage good behavior.

He sticks to the Religion Forum.

Not true. He's often in the Science forum too (and others). In any event, which forum he sticks to is irrelevant to the fact that he is subject to a permanent ban.

I think that even if we somehow permanently got rid of him that the sites quality would not be impacted whatsoever.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. Perhaps you have been fortunate and not had your threads regularly derailed by him and the people who respond to him. It's not my experience and I don't share your view.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 2:26:08 AM
At 8/24/2016 1:49:21 AM, SNP1 wrote:

Encourage good behavior.

He sticks to the Religion Forum. I think that even if we somehow permanently got rid of him that the sites quality would not be impacted whatsoever.

I would bring everyone's attention to this post where Brad tries to justify his behaviour:

http://www.debate.org...

I could care less what some of these hateful members in this forum think about me as a sock puppet, false prophet, thread derailer or whatever hateful thing they want to call me. I will not stop coming into this forum until I'm dead and can't come in here.

The only alternative these hateful members have to keep me out of Debate.org is to change their security technology to keep me from signing up with new accounts. Until then, expect me to be in this forum to find God's chosen believers. Only believers will listen to the voice of God and believe some or all of the knowledge that flows from it.

BoG has no intention of ever accepting his ban or modifying his behaviour. To him rules are for other people and never for him. I don't know about others but I would not go where I clearly wasn't wanted. BoG has no such qualms. He will force himself on this community whether he is wanted here or not. Should we tolerate such an immoral and cavalier attitude?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 2:29:27 AM
At 8/24/2016 1:53:57 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/24/2016 1:47:53 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

Social Ostracism.

I asked for constructive responses. For you that meant an opportunity for some atheist bashing. Does this thread have anything to do with my atheism or is it you going into ad hominem attack mode at the drop of a hat? Who is the problem here, you or me? Stay out of the thread if you can't be civil and contribute something.

I'm trying diatribe as a way to encourage critical thinking. It's a tactic I see Atheist like you engage in. I have my doubts to its effectiveness.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 2:42:41 AM

Encourage good behavior.

Perfect example of BoG as picknpull attempting to derail a science thread:

http://www.debate.org...
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 3:38:45 AM
Social Ostracism.

I think shaming has a legitimate place, Mhykiel. What makes it attractive is that it's inexpensive, easily reversible, can inflict little harm, and is a strong disincentive for members invested in a long-term community from harming their fellows through negligence or abuse. What makes it indefensible is when it incites violence, hatred or demonisation, as sometimes it does. What makes it ineffective is when members aren't invested in the community in the first place. So it needs to be targeted, managed, accountable and used with caution.

In the cases you cited, I was appalled that you described what Christians have done to Jews, Muslims and others as merely 'shaming': Christians have outright vilified, demonised and persecuted these groups at times, apparently for no other reason than that they don't want to live as Christians.

In the case of Brad, I believe he's a participant of good will, creative ideas and occasional insights, but poor judgement regarding the relevance and impact of his thoughts. I'm aware that his claims outrage members both with faith and without. On the other hand, the vanity of conceiving yourself a saint strikes me as no greater than the vanity that fourscore years of ritual piety will earn you a godlike immortality; the complacency of considering that God is talking to you is no greater than the sanctimony of claiming unauthenticated scriptures are both authentic and holy -- and Brad is not our only member who believes God talks to him directly. The people who believe they hear God generally admit they can't control what they hear or when.

What I like most about Brad though is that he responds to kindness and respect with kindness and respect, regardless of your faith or creed. Whatever one might think of his beliefs, I believe that makes him a more gracious human being than some presently pitying him.

I understand that some members find him disruptive, and want to do something about that. I agree with Mhykiel that shaming is inappropriate, both because Brad isn't being malignant so far as I can tell, and because it's unlikely to be effective.

If Brad's off-topic I do what I do with other members: usually just say hi, explain that I think it's off-topic and won't respond in detail. And Brad has been polite in understanding and reply, which some other members are not. And unlike some members who are outright trolls, Brad says what he wants to say and goes away unless provoked. :)

I'm not making a case for changing site policy, merely pointing out that I don't see special need for coordinated effort.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 4:45:35 AM

I would rather have ten brads than one bully like hari or annanicole.