Total Posts:201|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is Religion Bad for Humanity?

ANON_TacTiX
Posts: 460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around. Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.
ANON_TacTiX
Posts: 460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 3:07:14 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around.
Your sins mean nothing to atheists, so that wouldn't really make life easier. I already live as though sins are nonexistent, as I do not belong to your religion.
Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.
Can you prove that there even is an afterlife? I'll spare you the trouble. No, you cannot. Your claim has no real ground to stand on. You have taken an assumption made by your religion (there is an afterlife) and used it as proof that humanity needs religion. Is there any reason that humanity would be better off with religion that you actually have a bit of evidence for?
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 4:12:26 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/24/2016 3:07:14 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
At 8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around.
Your sins mean nothing to atheists, so that wouldn't really make life easier. I already live as though sins are nonexistent, as I do not belong to your religion.
Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.
Can you prove that there even is an afterlife? I'll spare you the trouble. No, you cannot. Your claim has no real ground to stand on. You have taken an assumption made by your religion (there is an afterlife) and used it as proof that humanity needs religion. Is there any reason that humanity would be better off with religion that you actually have a bit of evidence for?

religion and sins like two poles, diametrical one another. If one chosen to practice the religion then he would avoid the sins and any nonreligious system or condition.
Likewise, the sinners in this case non religious people tend to avoid religious persons.
There will be the conflict between religion and sins wherever they are.
One of the two has to succumb, either the sin succumbs and the religion dominates or vise versa.
Otherwise, the fighting between religion and non religion will occur.

Yes I can prove there is afterlife. By using religion I can explain that afterlife does real.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 5:03:35 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/24/2016 4:12:26 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/24/2016 3:07:14 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
At 8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around.
Your sins mean nothing to atheists, so that wouldn't really make life easier. I already live as though sins are nonexistent, as I do not belong to your religion.
Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.
Can you prove that there even is an afterlife? I'll spare you the trouble. No, you cannot. Your claim has no real ground to stand on. You have taken an assumption made by your religion (there is an afterlife) and used it as proof that humanity needs religion. Is there any reason that humanity would be better off with religion that you actually have a bit of evidence for?

religion and sins like two poles, diametrical one another. If one chosen to practice the religion then he would avoid the sins and any nonreligious system or condition.
Likewise, the sinners in this case non religious people tend to avoid religious persons.
There will be the conflict between religion and sins wherever they are.
One of the two has to succumb, either the sin succumbs and the religion dominates or vise versa.
Otherwise, the fighting between religion and non religion will occur.

Yes I can prove there is afterlife. By using religion I can explain that afterlife does real.
The only people capable of sin are those who believe in sin ie the religious.
CreampuffMcGee
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 7:45:55 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
": the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around. Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter."

How pathetic your life must be if you need the reward of heaven to make it meaningful when it signifies the opposite; there's no point in a quality life if your goal is heaven.
Willows
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 10:36:02 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around. Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.

If you think that you need some sort of outside influence (religion) to keep you from committing sins, that doesn't make you much of a human being, does it?
Artur
Posts: 725
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 2:24:27 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.
as a person who thinks God is a hero of fantasy, I disagree. why?

You have made good example but that will work against Christianity, not religion. of course, we can find example for each [major] religion if needed. for ex: gays. Islam and christianity both forbade it. Life would be better if they were given the freedom but they (abrahamics) have been censoring them. now, I still disagree.

yes, religion had bad times for humanity but it had good times as well. I live with muslims for almost 2.5 years, there are some muslims I know personally who:

* sees stealing, robbing or raping someone as somethinh he should avoid intending to *just because his belief* [religion] says him not to do. There might have been many people in the history who acted like this and contributed to the safety of humanity.

* avoids insulting, slandering, having gossip about someone as a result of his belief.

* contributes to charity as a result of his belief.

* avoids lying or spreading false information

* does not force the people to whom he is superior to to do something he himself wishes because he thinks he will be questioned for doing so in afterlife.

the list will go on. what I mean is, they are who they are, how they are as a result of their beliefs.

Even though religions have times like your example, I think they probably had more good times.

but when I think, when I ponder now i think the otherwise. sometimes their religion makes them think irrational, illlogically. They do it unconsciously, but they do it to make people see their faith as truth. As being affected by the duties of their belief, they sometimes use irrational, illlogical ways of thinking, both muslims and christians. ( not all of them). The most obvious one is christians, they misquote and misrepresrnt Tanakh, they misrepresent the history, they misqyote the quran and goes on.

conclusion: christianiry is disgrace to religions, to humaniry.
"I'm not as soft or as generous a person as I would be if the world hadn't changed me" Bobby Fischer
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 2:49:17 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

This is something I have thought about lately. I do think religion is a hindrance to the development of critical thought. With that said, I'm not so sure that everyone has the faculties to develop critical thought. The average IQ is 100, which means that half the population is below that. Some people can sound relatively intelligent with their lexicon but are incapable of clear reasoning. There are people on this site that are think the earth is flat, Noahs flood happened, etc, etc.

Some of those people are rejected by society. Some people are mentally slow, socially awkward, uninteresting to other people, severely unattractive....basically completely talentless. Sometimes "Jesus" is the only person on this planet that loves them. Would you want to take that away?

Other people claim that they would not have been able to make good decisions without "Jesus" in their corner. I have had childhood friends become drug addicts and emotionally fragile that are now clean and attribute that to their imaginary friend. Should we let them believe in their imaginary friend?
ANON_TacTiX
Posts: 460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 3:08:22 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/24/2016 2:24:27 PM, Artur wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.
as a person who thinks God is a hero of fantasy, I disagree. why?

You have made good example but that will work against Christianity, not religion. of course, we can find example for each [major] religion if needed. for ex: gays. Islam and christianity both forbade it. Life would be better if they were given the freedom but they (abrahamics) have been censoring them. now, I still disagree.

yes, religion had bad times for humanity but it had good times as well. I live with muslims for almost 2.5 years, there are some muslims I know personally who:

* sees stealing, robbing or raping someone as somethinh he should avoid intending to *just because his belief* [religion] says him not to do. There might have been many people in the history who acted like this and contributed to the safety of humanity.

* avoids insulting, slandering, having gossip about someone as a result of his belief.

* contributes to charity as a result of his belief.

* avoids lying or spreading false information

* does not force the people to whom he is superior to to do something he himself wishes because he thinks he will be questioned for doing so in afterlife.

the list will go on. what I mean is, they are who they are, how they are as a result of their beliefs.
Yeah, religion can provide people with good morals to follow. The problem is that these morals are not questioned. They are just followed. There is no discovering your morals for yourself. Besides, who says that the same guy wouldn't be a good person without religion? Sure, religion can force people to be moral, but it is not necessary for morality. There would still be good people in the world without religion, and there would still be bad people.
Even though religions have times like your example, I think they probably had more good times.

but when I think, when I ponder now i think the otherwise. sometimes their religion makes them think irrational, illlogically. They do it unconsciously, but they do it to make people see their faith as truth. As being affected by the duties of their belief, they sometimes use irrational, illlogical ways of thinking, both muslims and christians. ( not all of them). The most obvious one is christians, they misquote and misrepresrnt Tanakh, they misrepresent the history, they misqyote the quran and goes on.

conclusion: christianiry is disgrace to religions, to humaniry.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 4:58:58 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/24/2016 10:36:02 AM, Willows wrote:
At 8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around. Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.

If you think that you need some sort of outside influence (religion) to keep you from committing sins, that doesn't make you much of a human being, does it?

Perhaps you define sins differently from religion version.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 5:04:57 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/25/2016 4:58:58 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/24/2016 10:36:02 AM, Willows wrote:
At 8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around. Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.

If you think that you need some sort of outside influence (religion) to keep you from committing sins, that doesn't make you much of a human being, does it?

Perhaps you define sins differently from religion version.
The word sin is meaningless without religion.
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 5:05:00 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/24/2016 5:03:35 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/24/2016 4:12:26 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/24/2016 3:07:14 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
At 8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around.
Your sins mean nothing to atheists, so that wouldn't really make life easier. I already live as though sins are nonexistent, as I do not belong to your religion.
Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.
Can you prove that there even is an afterlife? I'll spare you the trouble. No, you cannot. Your claim has no real ground to stand on. You have taken an assumption made by your religion (there is an afterlife) and used it as proof that humanity needs religion. Is there any reason that humanity would be better off with religion that you actually have a bit of evidence for?

religion and sins like two poles, diametrical one another. If one chosen to practice the religion then he would avoid the sins and any nonreligious system or condition.
Likewise, the sinners in this case non religious people tend to avoid religious persons.
There will be the conflict between religion and sins wherever they are.
One of the two has to succumb, either the sin succumbs and the religion dominates or vise versa.
Otherwise, the fighting between religion and non religion will occur.

Yes I can prove there is afterlife. By using religion I can explain that afterlife does real.
The only people capable of sin are those who believe in sin ie the religious.

sin is any acts that opposes religion. so, you are considered a sinner if you opposed religion.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 5:06:28 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/25/2016 5:05:00 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/24/2016 5:03:35 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/24/2016 4:12:26 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/24/2016 3:07:14 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
At 8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around.
Your sins mean nothing to atheists, so that wouldn't really make life easier. I already live as though sins are nonexistent, as I do not belong to your religion.
Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.
Can you prove that there even is an afterlife? I'll spare you the trouble. No, you cannot. Your claim has no real ground to stand on. You have taken an assumption made by your religion (there is an afterlife) and used it as proof that humanity needs religion. Is there any reason that humanity would be better off with religion that you actually have a bit of evidence for?

religion and sins like two poles, diametrical one another. If one chosen to practice the religion then he would avoid the sins and any nonreligious system or condition.
Likewise, the sinners in this case non religious people tend to avoid religious persons.
There will be the conflict between religion and sins wherever they are.
One of the two has to succumb, either the sin succumbs and the religion dominates or vise versa.
Otherwise, the fighting between religion and non religion will occur.

Yes I can prove there is afterlife. By using religion I can explain that afterlife does real.
The only people capable of sin are those who believe in sin ie the religious.

sin is any acts that opposes religion. so, you are considered a sinner if you opposed religion.
That is not how sin is defined.
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 5:11:54 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
The only people capable of sin are those who believe in sin ie the religious.

sin is any acts that opposes religion. so, you are considered a sinner if you opposed religion.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 5:17:44 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/25/2016 5:11:54 AM, uncung wrote:
The only people capable of sin are those who believe in sin ie the religious.

sin is any acts that opposes religion. so, you are considered a sinner if you opposed religion.
No it isn't, or you sin by opposing christianity.
Norrin
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 6:10:10 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I don't know if religion is bad for humanity, but organized religion, brainwashing of children and scaring them to believe definitely is. Some of what theists believe is good, but then you have all the hate against groups that don't fit into what you believe is right like gays. I think banning religion would be a bad idea, better education is the way to go, apart from America the better people are educated the less people believe in this nonsense.
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 7:13:32 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/25/2016 5:17:44 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2016 5:11:54 AM, uncung wrote:
The only people capable of sin are those who believe in sin ie the religious.

sin is any acts that opposes religion. so, you are considered a sinner if you opposed religion.
No it isn't, or you sin by opposing christianity.

Being a Christian is a sin.
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 7:14:07 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
sin is any acts that opposes religion. so, you are considered a sinner if you opposed religion.
No it isn't, or you sin by opposing christianity.

Being a Christian is a sin.
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 7:16:14 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/25/2016 5:04:57 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2016 4:58:58 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/24/2016 10:36:02 AM, Willows wrote:
At 8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around. Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.

If you think that you need some sort of outside influence (religion) to keep you from committing sins, that doesn't make you much of a human being, does it?

Perhaps you define sins differently from religion version.
The word sin is meaningless without religion.

we need this term to identify the acts. One might consider they do the good thing, however it can be wrong in the eyes of religion.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 7:28:27 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/25/2016 7:16:14 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/25/2016 5:04:57 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2016 4:58:58 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/24/2016 10:36:02 AM, Willows wrote:
At 8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around. Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.

If you think that you need some sort of outside influence (religion) to keep you from committing sins, that doesn't make you much of a human being, does it?

Perhaps you define sins differently from religion version.
The word sin is meaningless without religion.

we need this term to identify the acts. One might consider they do the good thing, however it can be wrong in the eyes of religion.

that's what I said.
The word sin is meaningless without religion
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 7:48:26 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/25/2016 7:28:27 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2016 7:16:14 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/25/2016 5:04:57 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2016 4:58:58 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/24/2016 10:36:02 AM, Willows wrote:
At 8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around. Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.

If you think that you need some sort of outside influence (religion) to keep you from committing sins, that doesn't make you much of a human being, does it?

Perhaps you define sins differently from religion version.
The word sin is meaningless without religion.

we need this term to identify the acts. One might consider they do the good thing, however it can be wrong in the eyes of religion.

that's what I said.
The word sin is meaningless without religion

there are many words would be meaningless without religion, for instance, this section, it does exist because of religion.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 8:11:52 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/25/2016 7:48:26 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/25/2016 7:28:27 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2016 7:16:14 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/25/2016 5:04:57 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2016 4:58:58 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/24/2016 10:36:02 AM, Willows wrote:
At 8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around. Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.

If you think that you need some sort of outside influence (religion) to keep you from committing sins, that doesn't make you much of a human being, does it?

Perhaps you define sins differently from religion version.
The word sin is meaningless without religion.

we need this term to identify the acts. One might consider they do the good thing, however it can be wrong in the eyes of religion.

that's what I said.
The word sin is meaningless without religion

there are many words would be meaningless without religion, for instance, this section, it does exist because of religion.

Like I said the only people who can sin are the religious.
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 8:24:22 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/25/2016 8:11:52 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2016 7:48:26 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/25/2016 7:28:27 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2016 7:16:14 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/25/2016 5:04:57 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2016 4:58:58 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/24/2016 10:36:02 AM, Willows wrote:
At 8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around. Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.

If you think that you need some sort of outside influence (religion) to keep you from committing sins, that doesn't make you much of a human being, does it?

Perhaps you define sins differently from religion version.
The word sin is meaningless without religion.

we need this term to identify the acts. One might consider they do the good thing, however it can be wrong in the eyes of religion.

that's what I said.
The word sin is meaningless without religion

there are many words would be meaningless without religion, for instance, this section, it does exist because of religion.

Like I said the only people who can sin are the religious.

but being non religious is a sin as well.
bulproof
Posts: 25,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 8:58:22 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/25/2016 8:24:22 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/25/2016 8:11:52 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2016 7:48:26 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/25/2016 7:28:27 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2016 7:16:14 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/25/2016 5:04:57 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/25/2016 4:58:58 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/24/2016 10:36:02 AM, Willows wrote:
At 8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around. Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.

If you think that you need some sort of outside influence (religion) to keep you from committing sins, that doesn't make you much of a human being, does it?

Perhaps you define sins differently from religion version.
The word sin is meaningless without religion.

we need this term to identify the acts. One might consider they do the good thing, however it can be wrong in the eyes of religion.

that's what I said.
The word sin is meaningless without religion

there are many words would be meaningless without religion, for instance, this section, it does exist because of religion.

Like I said the only people who can sin are the religious.

but being non religious is a sin as well.
Only to the religious.
I can't sin.
Willows
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 9:49:44 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/25/2016 4:58:58 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/24/2016 10:36:02 AM, Willows wrote:
At 8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around. Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.

If you think that you need some sort of outside influence (religion) to keep you from committing sins, that doesn't make you much of a human being, does it?

Perhaps you define sins differently from religion version.

Regardless, it is ludicrous to infer that those who do not have religion would be free to roam the streets raping and pillaging to their hearts content. Similarly, moral standards are not the domain of nor dependant upon religion.

As society changes so do moral standards, laws and what we consider wrong, or sins. Religion has always been behind in these respects and seems to take the attitude that their standards transcend those of mainstream society.
Looncall
Posts: 463
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 10:01:40 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/25/2016 9:49:44 AM, Willows wrote:
At 8/25/2016 4:58:58 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/24/2016 10:36:02 AM, Willows wrote:
At 8/24/2016 12:45:02 AM, uncung wrote:
At 8/23/2016 7:36:59 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this forum. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this forum are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now, we can get on to the topic at hand. My opinion is that humanity would be better off without religion. I think that religion has set humanity back in both technology and knowledge of the universe. Think about Galileo. When he was alive, people thought that the Earth was the center of the universe, and everything revolved around it. Then Galileo prove that this was not the case. He proved that Earth was just one of the planets revolving around the Sun. The Catholic church was upset by this, and they threatened him with death. He was then forced to renounce his "beliefs," and his discoveries weren't published until he was on his deathbed. That is just one major scientific discovery set back years by religion. There was also a point in time when everything was controlled by religion. This time was called the Dark Ages. Then, of course, there are the religious wars, genocides, and persecutions. Millions of people dead in the name of religion. Then there is the fact that religion started out as a way to explain the unexplainable. What is lightning? Who knows, must be the Gods. Religion was born from ignorance. Today, religion is just people clinging to outdated beliefs and telling others how to live their lives. That is my opinion. I would love to hear what other people think.

P.S. - I am finally back on this account. Hopefully, it stays that way. Have a fun debate.

the world would be better without religion to the disbelievers. Because they would be free committing sins around. Religion, however, is required to gain salvation and paradise in hereafter.

If you think that you need some sort of outside influence (religion) to keep you from committing sins, that doesn't make you much of a human being, does it?

Perhaps you define sins differently from religion version.

Regardless, it is ludicrous to infer that those who do not have religion would be free to roam the streets raping and pillaging to their hearts content. Similarly, moral standards are not the domain of nor dependant upon religion.

As society changes so do moral standards, laws and what we consider wrong, or sins. Religion has always been behind in these respects and seems to take the attitude that their standards transcend those of mainstream society.

Quite right. At present, the raping and pillaging seem to be most prevalent among the most religious societies.
The metaphysicist has no laboratory.
keithprosser
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 10:27:13 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I all depends on what you count as "religion". For instance take something like "I believe mankind has as its duty and destiny to spread out throughout the stars, to seek ever more knowledge and understanding. Each of us should do what little we can to forward that."

Is that a religious creed? It is like a religion - it can't be proven or disproven, but it can be believed in passionately. It resembles something I would like to believe in and if you call that a religion perhaps it would not be too bad for humanity.

But perhaps the OP has in mind a narrower definition of religion, the sort of think that decrees that "There is but one way of doing things and anyone who disagrees is to be punished, yea unto death" We certainly have a lot of that bad sort of religion, and I think we would be a lot better of without that theistic tribal superstition.

But if we take a wider view of religion as a principle that transcends our immediate personal goals and provides a purpose and meaning to existence I think such a thing is necessary. Atheism taken as the rejection of god is not a religion because it does not provide any purpose or meaning (it explicitly removes one), but most atheists are humanists and I think humanism is a religion in the wider sense and I don't think a humanism based religion would be bad thing.
Willows
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 10:47:43 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/25/2016 10:27:13 AM, keithprosser wrote:
I all depends on what you count as "religion". For instance take something like "I believe mankind has as its duty and destiny to spread out throughout the stars, to seek ever more knowledge and understanding. Each of us should do what little we can to forward that."

Is that a religious creed? It is like a religion - it can't be proven or disproven, but it can be believed in passionately. It resembles something I would like to believe in and if you call that a religion perhaps it would not be too bad for humanity.

But perhaps the OP has in mind a narrower definition of religion, the sort of think that decrees that "There is but one way of doing things and anyone who disagrees is to be punished, yea unto death" We certainly have a lot of that bad sort of religion, and I think we would be a lot better of without that theistic tribal superstition.

But if we take a wider view of religion as a principle that transcends our immediate personal goals and provides a purpose and meaning to existence I think such a thing is necessary. Atheism taken as the rejection of god is not a religion because it does not provide any purpose or meaning (it explicitly removes one), but most atheists are humanists and I think humanism is a religion in the wider sense and I don't think a humanism based religion would be bad thing.

Well put, although strictly speaking, religion is based on spirituality. I think humanism sounds good the way it is and should not be classified as a religion.
keithprosser
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 1:53:12 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Perhaps that is because the word 'religion' is taken to mean 'theistic religion' and carries a lot of baggage. Calling humanism a 'philosophical or ethical position' gets around the negative connotations of the word religion, with all its concommitant nonsense of rituals, organised priesthoods, narrowly defined morality and intolerance.

But if a religion is defined more like "Something believed in passionately and serves as a guiding principle in an individuals life" then humanism is a religion. Dictionaries are guides as to how words have been and are being used. Words do change is meaning and dictionaries eventually follow. I am not ashamed to call my humanism my religion because as far as I can tell it serves the purpose a religion should serve - it is a framework for the individual to help them place themselves in the wider context.

What humanism does not do is mix that in with a lot of myths and just so stories. A humanist does not have to subscribe to the Big Bang or even to evolution (although many do). Humanism places humanity as a whole is a 'higher purpose' than the individual humanist, while not denying each individual also has value. It stresses that humanity has to solve its own problems because there is no god to help us out.

Without doubt humanism present a utopian ideal that we can't live up to. No matter how much we do for our fellow man, we could always do more. But some people take that as excuse to do nothing. No-one can end a famine in Africa on their own, but no one is expecting anybody to do that. But giving a few dollars to a famine charity might help a bit - one kid might get a meal they wouldn't have had otherwise. And of course you'd be doing for the starving kid, not to ease your own sorry as*'s way into heaven.

Humanism has the good bits of a religion - and leaves all the bad bits out.