Jump to topic:

Questions for atheists

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 10:23:34 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
If you suddenly found out there was a god, what, if any, difference would it make in your life?

What questions would you have for god?
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 10:32:18 PM
At 8/23/2016 10:23:34 PM, janesix wrote:
If you suddenly found out there was a god, what, if any, difference would it make in your life?

It really wouldn't make much of a difference.

What the f**k have you been doing? What the hell happened to helping your people? Are you too old to see how messed up the world is down here? Or do you just not care? How can you claim to be kind and forgiving and then allow such cruel things to happen to such good people? How can you send people to eternal punishment and suffering for questioning things? In the Bible, why did you lie to your people so much? Why do you continually keep your people from gaining knowledge, especially in the Bible? Are you really that insecure that you keep your own creations from advancing? Why didn't you reveal yourself earlier? Why is the religion people built around you so full of hypocrisy and contradictions? I have more, but I feel like I have gone on long enough. OH! Wait. What's up with the platypus?
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
ken1122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 3:50:25 AM

It all depends on who this God is, what (if anything) he expects of us.

Why do you choose to remain hidden?

Ken
ken1122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 3:53:21 AM
At 8/23/2016 10:32:18 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

What the f**k have you been doing? What the hell happened to helping your people? Are you too old to see how messed up the world is down here? Or do you just not care? How can you claim to be kind and forgiving and then allow such cruel things to happen to such good people? How can you send people to eternal punishment and suffering for questioning things? In the Bible, why did you lie to your people so much? Why do you continually keep your people from gaining knowledge, especially in the Bible? Are you really that insecure that you keep your own creations from advancing? Why didn't you reveal yourself earlier? Why is the religion people built around you so full of hypocrisy and contradictions? I have more, but I feel like I have gone on long enough. OH! Wait. What's up with the platypus?

Dang bro; you sound so angry. Why would you automatically assume this God cares about what's written in the Bible?

Ken
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 4:37:07 AM

Which god?
If you suddenly found out there was a Quetzalcoatl, what, if any, difference would it make in your life?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 4:42:12 AM
At 8/24/2016 4:37:07 AM, bulproof wrote:

Which god?
If you suddenly found out there was a Quetzalcoatl, what, if any, difference would it make in your life?
It would make more sense than the christian god. Where did all the mythology of flying serpents and dragons come from?
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 4:44:10 AM
At 8/24/2016 3:53:21 AM, ken1122 wrote:

Dang bro; you sound so angry. Why would you automatically assume this God cares about what's written in the Bible?

Ken
Well, assuming that the God we are talking about is the Christian God, he kind of has to care. The Bible talks about things that he supposedly did and said. Also, I am not angry. I would be extremely angry, however, if God did exist. Not because I would be proven wrong. I don't care about that. I would be angry because the God depicted in Christianity is horrible, vengeful, and cruel. Plus, the platypus is just a messed up animal. :)
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
ken1122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 4:48:48 AM
At 8/24/2016 4:44:10 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

Ken
Well, assuming that the God we are talking about is the Christian God, he kind of has to care.

Why are you assuming the Christian God?

Ken
ANON_TacTiX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 5:05:42 AM
At 8/24/2016 4:48:48 AM, ken1122 wrote:

Ken
Well, assuming that the God we are talking about is the Christian God, he kind of has to care.

Ken
It is the most common one that is discussed in this forum. Plus, the original post used God as the name for the god. That is something that, as far as I know, only Christianity does. The G was no capitalized, but based on the context, I assumed it was a grammatical error.

Interestingly, the Christian God actually does have a name that most Christians do not even know about. No, it is not Jehova. It is Yaweh. I could go into more detail about the name and how it got confused with Jehova, but it is a long story.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 6:40:56 AM

I don't believe that there would be any way to know you were dealing with a god as opposed to an ultra-advanced alien being.

1. What is dark matter?
2. What is dark energy?
3. Who shot JFK?
4. How can artificial fusion be made to work?
5. What is the real nature of time and why is it one-way only?
6. How did you come to be?
7. What are you made of?
8. Is FTL travel possible?
Etc.
(I could probably go on for hundreds more)
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 7:34:36 AM

It would depend on the nature of the god, and the nature of the evidence that convinced me such a being existed.

Since I find most religious definitions of God to be incoherent, it's difficult to even speculate how I would react. After all, no one really has a clue what they mean when they talk about an omnipresent, omnipotent, changeless being who exists outside time. So in a sense the question is asking for a reaction to an inconceivable event.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 7:38:59 AM

Depends on whether She is a looker.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 10:32:16 AM
If you suddenly found out there was a god
Jane, suppose you met a wonderful entity, apparently pleasant and kind, capable of marvelous feats you couldn't explain.

How could you know whether it was metaphysical rather than simply unexplained physical?

Why would you worship and obey it?

If you wouldn't worship and obey it, why call it a god?
ken1122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 12:37:17 PM
At 8/24/2016 5:05:42 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
At 8/24/2016 4:48:48 AM, ken1122 wrote:

Ken

Ken
It is the most common one that is discussed in this forum. Plus, the original post used God as the name for the god. That is something that, as far as I know, only Christianity does. The G was no capitalized, but based on the context, I assumed it was a grammatical error.

I get what you're saying. I believe all the Abrahamic faiths (Christianity, Judaism, and Islam) refers to their Deity as God with a capital G. I personally make no distinction. But since there was no capital G listed in the OP don't cha think it would be best to see which if any of the Gods people worship is the correct one before you go reading him the riot act?

Ken
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 1:10:24 PM

The question makes no sense to me - what is "god"?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 4:10:52 PM
At 8/24/2016 10:32:16 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
Jane, suppose you met a wonderful entity, apparently pleasant and kind, capable of marvelous feats you couldn't explain.
That would be nice

How could you know whether it was metaphysical rather than simply unexplained physical?
I dont think it would matter

I wouldnt

I consider god to be our creator, not something to be worshipped. Maybe respected
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 4:19:29 PM

Most likely none at all, really. Especially since it was apparently indiscernible between him existing and not existing to begin with.

Hard to say without any idea of what this god actually is but likely just, "What was the point of all this?", expecting a subjective answer.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 4:23:08 PM
At 8/24/2016 1:10:24 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

The creator of the universe
trschard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 4:36:45 PM
At 8/24/2016 4:10:52 PM, janesix wrote:
That would be nice

I wouldnt

I consider god to be our creator, not something to be worshipped. Maybe respected : :
Most people don't understand that the dictionary meaning of "worship" is much different than the biblical meaning of the word. Religious people think it has to do with honoring their god by going to a church building and praising him and praying a certain way, chanting, singing, baptizing each other and performing all sorts of ridiculous things with their words and body.

The biblical meaning of worship is "to live accordingly". Satan is information that is processed into the visible world that appears to have good and evil in it. Those living in that world are worshiping Satan, meaning they live according to that information that gives them the sense of good and evil. Everyone born into the world is being influenced by information called Satan.

The Beast is information that teaches man how to build things with their human hands called false gods. This information didn't begin in the minds of men until after the flood with the night sky was exposed for the first time. The Beast influenced some men to look up into the night sky and use imaginary lines to connect the white dots into shapes for their building codes and characters for their alphabet letters and symbols for their mathematics. They also learned the shape of crosses that is used for their symbol of their false god Jesus. This means that anyone designing, building, repairing, cleaning, selling and using these false gods are "worshiping" the Beast.

Those of us who are enlightened like yourself are being influenced by information called Christ. The enlightenment called the 1,000 year reign of Christ has been going on for hundreds of years going back to the Roman Empire when the first of God's saints began testifying to every word, vision, dream, spoken words, etc. that flowed into their minds. These testimonies contained the knowledge about Satan, the Beast and everything else that God wanted to reveal to us. Once we begin understanding this knowledge, we begin worshiping Christ, meaning to live according to this new information that enlightens us to the fact that the world we once thought was our true reality isn't true at all. We learn that there's much more to life than what we thought when we were first born into the world we perceived as being real.

So those who worship ( to live according ) to Christ will understand that Satan and the Beast will pass away after our flesh perishes. Those of us who are 100% enlightened understand what Satan and the Beast is so we're not concerned with the visible false gods around us and the influence they have of those who use them even though we might use some of them ourselves such as the computer I'm using to find chosen believers to share Christ with.

Anyway, I hope this helps you understand the true meaning of "worship".
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 5:03:27 PM
At 8/24/2016 4:23:08 PM, janesix wrote:
At 8/24/2016 1:10:24 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

The creator of the universe

So, a deistic god? It would make no difference in my life if there was a creator apathetic to human life.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 5:12:53 PM

thats heavy
Never fart near dog
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 5:23:11 PM
At 8/24/2016 4:36:45 PM, trschard wrote:
That would be nice

I wouldnt

I consider god to be our creator, not something to be worshipped. Maybe respected : :
Most people don't understand that the dictionary meaning of "worship" is much different than the biblical meaning of the word. Religious people think it has to do with honoring their god by going to a church building and praising him and praying a certain way, chanting, singing, baptizing each other and performing all sorts of ridiculous things with their words and body.

The biblical meaning of worship is "to live accordingly". Satan is information that is processed into the visible world that appears to have good and evil in it. Those living in that world are worshiping Satan, meaning they live according to that information that gives them the sense of good and evil. Everyone born into the world is being influenced by information called Satan.

The Beast is information that teaches man how to build things with their human hands called false gods. This information didn't begin in the minds of men until after the flood with the night sky was exposed for the first time. The Beast influenced some men to look up into the night sky and use imaginary lines to connect the white dots into shapes for their building codes and characters for their alphabet letters and symbols for their mathematics. They also learned the shape of crosses that is used for their symbol of their false god Jesus. This means that anyone designing, building, repairing, cleaning, selling and using these false gods are "worshiping" the Beast.

Those of us who are enlightened like yourself are being influenced by information called Christ. The enlightenment called the 1,000 year reign of Christ has been going on for hundreds of years going back to the Roman Empire when the first of God's saints began testifying to every word, vision, dream, spoken words, etc. that flowed into their minds. These testimonies contained the knowledge about Satan, the Beast and everything else that God wanted to reveal to us. Once we begin understanding this knowledge, we begin worshiping Christ, meaning to live according to this new information that enlightens us to the fact that the world we once thought was our true reality isn't true at all. We learn that there's much more to life than what we thought when we were first born into the world we perceived as being real.

So those who worship ( to live according ) to Christ will understand that Satan and the Beast will pass away after our flesh perishes. Those of us who are 100% enlightened understand what Satan and the Beast is so we're not concerned with the visible false gods around us and the influence they have of those who use them even though we might use some of them ourselves such as the computer I'm using to find chosen believers to share Christ with.

I dont see the point with changing the meanings of words. It just causes confusion.
trschard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 6:03:01 PM
At 8/24/2016 5:23:11 PM, janesix wrote:
That would be nice

I wouldnt

I dont see the point with changing the meanings of words. It just causes confusion. : :

And I'm trying to straighten you out about the true meaning of worship. Religious people think it has something to do with exalting their gods. It means "to live accordingly" to the thoughts that enter your mind. You're either going to be influenced by Satan and the Beast or Christ. You have no choice to make in what information you're going to worship.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 6:26:06 PM
That would be nice
Perhaps.

I don't think it would matter
So it's okay if that being were lying to you about its metaphysical nature, or deluded about it?

I wouldn't
Nor I. But what is it called when you worship no god?

I consider god to be our creator, not something to be worshipped. Maybe respected
How could you be sure it created you, rather than just telling you that it had in some sort of misguided compassion, since you obviously want a creator?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 7:10:19 PM
At 8/24/2016 6:26:06 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
That would be nice
Perhaps.

I don't think it would matter
So it's okay if that being were lying to you about its metaphysical nature, or deluded about it?
No of course i dont want to be lied to. What does metaphysical mean anyway?

I wouldn't
Nor I. But what is it called when you worship no god?

How could you be sure it created you, rather than just telling you that it had in some sort of misguided compassion, since you obviously want a creator?

I cant be sure, which is why i dont listen to the voices in my head. They have lied before. Some of them anyway. That is why i try to deduce the nature of god by its creation. The universe and the creatures in it.

There also could be multiple gods, demigods, alien entities, or i could just be plain nutso. I am open to all possibilities.
ken1122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 11:58:45 PM
That would be nice

I wouldnt

The biblical meaning of worship is "to live accordingly".

Where in the Bible does it say this?

Ken
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 12:53:58 AM
At 8/24/2016 7:10:19 PM, janesix wrote:
At 8/24/2016 6:26:06 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
I cant be sure, which is why i dont listen to the voices in my head. They have lied before. Some of them anyway. That is why i try to deduce the nature of god by its creation. The universe and the creatures in it.

That sounds like Enlightenment Deism, Jane. It was very popular in the 18th century, when early scientific exploration revealed a universe looking orderly, stable and eternal. Its centrepiece was a benign, creative god unlikely to intervene, whom you didn't have to worship, but which helped justify universal equality and dignity at a time when many didn't believe in that.

For people liking rationalism, evidence and pluralism it was a very attractive belief, and some of the founding fathers of the US were Enlightenment Deists, while several more had deist sympathies.

It's not so popular nowadays perhaps in part because science has moved on. But I understand that you reject a great deal of modern science anyway, and the arguments you've used seem to be Enlightenment Deism arguments.

There also could be multiple gods, demigods, alien entities, or i could just be plain nutso. I am open to all possibilities.
I don't think hearing voices or exploring Enlightenment Deism make you nusto, Jane.

It gives you certain challenges which about 2.6 million American adults face -- but for many those challenges are manageable; and the worst one might say about Enlightenment Deism is that it was a worthy but possibly outdated idea. :)
Les_Rong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 3:05:48 AM

Since any God has so far behaved exactly as if It did not exist, apparently none.

What would be the point? Apparently any God that is purported to exist doesn't answer questions. Or prayers. Or do anything different from not existing.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 5:13:58 AM

I'd be religious, to what ever religion that God thing was.

What do I do. ?
Norrin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 6:14:53 AM
It would make no difference to how I live.
I wouldn't even ask him any questions, because IF there was a God he is such an evil or uncaring creature that I wouldn't believe anything he said anyway.