Jump to topic:

God as an infinite being is ridiculous

Cogito_Ergo_Sum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 2:36:45 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
The idea that God is an infinite being is ridiculous. Why? Let's list some 'pro' arguments:

1. Many religions describe human creation (the moment humans where brought into existence as opposed to us remaining as spirits) as being a few thousand years ago. Why did God only just create humans within in his infinite existence?

2. If God is an infinite consciousness, aware and awake for all eternity - where did God come from?

3. If God is the creator of all (therefore existing in a period where nothing existed - which is a contradiction and argument in itself), then how did he create Himself?

4. If God is infinite, wouldn't it follow that he would not be human-like in his appearance, with ears, eyes, hair etc? (this is more concerned with the Christian belief that humans were created in God's image).

I have purposefully only listed a few pro arguments, so as to allow other pro arguers to add their own!

All con arguers and pro arguers have fun debating! And most importantly, check yourself if you start getting emotional or attacking other debaters. Debating is all about sharing!

I do not admit to being for or against, pro or con, on this topic. Enjoy. ;)
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 9:36:13 PM
At 8/26/2016 2:36:45 PM, Cogito_Ergo_Sum wrote:
The idea that God is an infinite being is ridiculous. Why? Let's list some 'pro' arguments:

The idea that God is not an infinite Being is ridiculous, but okay.

1. Many religions describe human creation (the moment humans where brought into existence as opposed to us remaining as spirits) as being a few thousand years ago. Why did God only just create humans within in his infinite existence?

First of all you do not know that, God could have done this a thousand times over, and possibly there are other worlds which inhabit beings, this is not all God has created, not to mention there are more spiritual beings than there are humans, so there are creations everywhere.

2. If God is an infinite consciousness, aware and awake for all eternity - where did God come from?

He has always existed, picture eternity as a circle rather than a line. This is a complicated concept for atheists because as materialists all sentience, and humans, animals, planets, stars ect exist in a linear pattern, it has a beginning and then has an ending, point a to point b, we live....we die and that's all she wrote BUT....
That is an atheists perspective, not a theistic one so it's really simple once you get over your shyness about eternity.

3. If God is the creator of all (therefore existing in a period where nothing existed - which is a contradiction and argument in itself), then how did he create Himself?

That didn't happen, get it out of your head that God had a beginning or that God created Itself. God has always been, like a circle that has no starting point and no ending point.

4. If God is infinite, wouldn't it follow that he would not be human-like in his appearance, with ears, eyes, hair etc? (this is more concerned with the Christian belief that humans were created in God's image).

None of that follows, how could it? what does God being infinite have to do with His appearance, lol what does an infinite Being look like? why would God not resemble His own creation, makes no sense really.
Having said that, God is not a Human, does not have a flesh body. That doesn't mean God does not have a form, or present Himself in some form or another.
Spirits, though not a flesh body still have a face, arms, legs, eyes and whatever but they are also eternal entities, God is most likely not a blob with eyeballs...
If you saw God from a distance it would probably look like an incredible mass of energy and light, too bright and intense to look upon, but within that mass of power and electricity would be a form, a Person.

I have purposefully only listed a few pro arguments, so as to allow other pro arguers to add their own!

All con arguers and pro arguers have fun debating! And most importantly, check yourself if you start getting emotional or attacking other debaters. Debating is all about sharing!

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 11:01:28 PM
At 8/26/2016 9:36:13 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

The idea that God is not an infinite Being is ridiculous, but okay.

First of all you do not know that, God could have done this a thousand times over, and possibly there are other worlds which inhabit beings, this is not all God has created, not to mention there are more spiritual beings than there are humans,

Allow me to use the very same words you use on others:

" you do not know that"

so there are creations everywhere.

" you do not know that"

2. If God is an infinite consciousness, aware and awake for all eternity

" you do not know that"

- where did God come from?

He has always existed,

" you do not know that"

picture eternity as a circle rather than a line. This is a complicated concept for atheists because as materialists all sentience, and humans, animals, planets, stars ect exist in a linear pattern, it has a beginning and then has an ending, point a to point b, we live....we die and that's all she wrote BUT....
That is an atheists perspective, not a theistic one so it's really simple once you get over your shyness about eternity.

That didn't happen, get it out of your head that God had a beginning or that God created Itself. God has always been, like a circle that has no starting point and no ending point.

" you do not know that"

None of that follows, how could it? what does God being infinite have to do with His appearance, lol what does an infinite Being look like? why would God not resemble His own creation, makes no sense really.
Having said that, God is not a Human, does not have a flesh body.

" you do not know that"

That doesn't mean God does not have a form, or present Himself in some form or another.
Spirits, though not a flesh body still have a face, arms, legs, eyes and whatever but they are also eternal entities,

" you do not know that"

God is most likely not a blob with eyeballs...
If you saw God from a distance it would probably look like an incredible mass of energy and light, too bright and intense to look upon, but within that mass of power and electricity would be a form, a Person.

" you do not know that"

Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 12:07:07 AM

This does not describe Christianity, so this argument doesn't defeat this brand of theism that teaches the existence of an infinite God.

Nowhere. Something that is infinite doesn't come FROM anywhere.

3. If God is the creator of all (therefore existing in a period where nothing existed - which is a contradiction and argument in itself)

No it doesn't.

, then how did he create Himself?

He wasn't created. Do you even know what "infinity" means???!!! Part of it means it has no beginning

Why? Based on what?

If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 1:57:25 PM

Far be it for me to argue for the existence of a god, but the answer is in the question - if god is infinite then he wouldn't come from anywhere.

See above.

Not necessarily.

The way I look at it is a limitless being is logically impossible, If it creates paradoxes, then it is incoherent. For instance, can god make a rock so heavy he can't lift it, can god (being immortal) die, can god (being omniscient) have or give free will?

I've seen some argue that God is not all powerful. While that would avoid these objections it still doesn't avoid the claim being invalid. Ie. How do you make a truth statement about reality with no observation to support it? Plus, why would we consider a really powerful being a "god"? What amount of power makes a being "god"?

Anyway, that is some of my thoughts. I hope they came across clearly, but if not, let me know and I will do my best to clarify.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten