Total Posts:34|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

There is nothing original in Christianity.

Durbodh
Posts: 63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 11:37:02 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Why do christians believe in past life regression if there is no re birth?

Past life regression is lifted from past life samskaras.
12_13
Posts: 1,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 9:09:14 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/30/2016 11:37:02 AM, Durbodh wrote:
There is nothing original in Christianity.

Interesting claim, doesn"t seem to be true. Or do you know who first said:

But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.
Mat. 5:44-45
janesix
Posts: 3,460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 9:12:08 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/30/2016 11:37:02 AM, Durbodh wrote:
Why do christians believe in past life regression if there is no re birth?

Christians believe that, really?

Past life regression is lifted from past life samskaras.
freekundli
Posts: 77
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 5:25:48 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/30/2016 9:12:08 PM, janesix wrote:
At 8/30/2016 11:37:02 AM, Durbodh wrote:
Why do christians believe in past life regression if there is no re birth?

Christians believe that, really?

Past life regression is lifted from past life samskaras.

I don't think they believe that..
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 5:39:12 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I think you probably have a lot of valuable things to say, Mr. Hindu. However...

I get the impression that you don't quite understand that Truth is Truth, and when you think that it has to have a causal root to a particular culture or tradition, you undermine the fact that we are talking about The Truth.

If every person was ground to dust and two fresh human beings were placed to replace all of humanity, eventually The Ultimate Reality would be realized again. That is the nature of things. God is written into the hearts of all, even in the most clouded of hearts.

God has sent prophets to all nations, and there doesn't necessarily have to be a causal link between them for this to occur.

You know what? The Vedic texts and the Upanishads are beautiful, wonderful testimonies to God. That doesn't mean that every tradition that followed "stole" from these things. Indeed, Truth isn't "stolen".

Is it so strange to think that human beings in different parts of the globe could independently come to the realization of Ultimate Reality? There is One True God. Let the witness speak for itself. There is no need to be insecure about it. Count it as proof of God's magnificence and glory.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
keithprosser
Posts: 1,968
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 6:05:02 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
It is my opinion that Christians belief in afterlife arose from the socio-political conditions of ancient Israel. Oppressed by the seeming all-poweful empire of Rome imagining anything getting better on earth was difficult for many Jews - posthumous improvement in their lot was the best - or only - thing that could be hoped for.

It was not too hard for the idea of afterlife to cross-pollinate with traditional Judaic Messianism. The idea of an afterlife was aleady present in Greek thought which that was dominant across the entire Mediteranean region at the time. It is possible (but not definite) that Greeks got rhe idea of rebirth from the East, but 'It ain't necessarily so', because 'life after death' it is not an idea that takes a great deal of brilliance to invent and it does have its attractions and probably arose many times in human culture. Red Indian 'happy hunting grounds' is proably an example of an independent invention of the same idea,
Pbody
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 6:12:12 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 6:05:02 AM, keithprosser wrote:
It is my opinion that Christians belief in afterlife arose from the socio-political conditions of ancient Israel. Oppressed by the seeming all-poweful empire of Rome imagining anything getting better on earth was difficult for many Jews - posthumous improvement in their lot was the best - or only - thing that could be hoped for.

It was not too hard for the idea of afterlife to cross-pollinate with traditional Judaic Messianism. The idea of an afterlife was aleady present in Greek thought which that was dominant across the entire Mediteranean region at the time. It is possible (but not definite) that Greeks got rhe idea of rebirth from the East, but 'It ain't necessarily so', because 'life after death' it is not an idea that takes a great deal of brilliance to invent and it does have its attractions and probably arose many times in human culture. Red Indian 'happy hunting grounds' is proably an example of an independent invention of the same idea, : :

Once you understand how computers and same simulations work, then it's very easy to understand how life could be continuous even after the experience of your body dying. How many times can you experience death playing computer simulation games?
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 6:13:53 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
The Singularity

When duality collapses, and opposites unite.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
Pbody
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 6:27:16 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 6:13:53 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
The Singularity

When duality collapses, and opposites unite. : :

Trying to explain how we observe illusions in our mind is very difficult, especially when you believe those illusions are made of matter.
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 6:28:31 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 6:27:16 AM, Pbody wrote:
At 8/31/2016 6:13:53 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
The Singularity

When duality collapses, and opposites unite. : :

Trying to explain how we observe illusions in our mind is very difficult, especially when you believe those illusions are made of matter.

What is matter? What matters.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
Pbody
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 6:30:28 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 6:28:31 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 8/31/2016 6:27:16 AM, Pbody wrote:
At 8/31/2016 6:13:53 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
The Singularity

When duality collapses, and opposites unite. : :

Trying to explain how we observe illusions in our mind is very difficult, especially when you believe those illusions are made of matter.

What is matter? What matters. : :

You understood me very well.
Durbodh
Posts: 63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 6:49:28 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
QUOTE You know what? The Vedic texts and the Upanishads are beautiful, wonderful testimonies to God. UNQUOTE

VEDAS ARE SHRUTI.

TO EXPERIENCE ONE VERSE OF VEDA -

AN ANCIENT INDIAN SAGE HAD TO DO SEVERAL PENANACE -

FOR DECADES.

Vedas are mere testimonies or 'expressions'.

Few people on this planet can pronounce one verse of Veda or Bhagvadgita maintaining the PURITY OF UTTERANCE.

It was a compulsion to write Vedas.

The word 'Christianity' itself is derived from Krishna Neeti.

Vatican is lifted from Vatika.

Man is 'Manu'.

Just yesterday - hundreds of hindus have come back to Sanatana Dharma. They were lured into christianity.

IN INDIA CHRISTIANS AND MUSLIMS VISIT TEMPLES SECRETLY.

I appreciate your lack of ego.
keithprosser
Posts: 1,968
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 6:59:15 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Mind is over matter - I don't mind so it don't matter.

Pbody wrote:
Once you understand how computers and [g]ame simulations work, then it's very easy to understand how life could be continuous even after the experience of your body dying. How many times can you experience death playing computer simulation games?


My first job after getting a BSc in Computer science (in 1981!) was writing computing games and I've been working in computing ever since, so I do know a bit about it, Pbody.

However I will leave the relevance of the computer game analogy for others to judge. My post was about why Christians believe in afterlife from a socio-historical perspective because that is relevant to the heading of the thread - the originality of Christian beliefs.
Pbody
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 7:05:18 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 6:59:15 AM, keithprosser wrote:
Mind is over matter - I don't mind so it don't matter.

Pbody wrote:
Once you understand how computers and [g]ame simulations work, then it's very easy to understand how life could be continuous even after the experience of your body dying. How many times can you experience death playing computer simulation games?


My first job after getting a BSc in Computer science (in 1981!) was writing computing games and I've been working in computing ever since, so I do know a bit about it, Pbody.

However I will leave the relevance of the computer game analogy for others to judge. My post was about why Christians believe in afterlife from a socio-historical perspective because that is relevant to the heading of the thread - the originality of Christian beliefs.

My post was directly aimed at what you said about the afterlife. You don't believe in an afterlife but if Christians understood that it's possible with computing technology to experience an afterlife, then they would know how they're created.

Christians cannot teach anyone about the afterlife because they don't have a clue how they were created. The computer game simulation is the best way to show anyone how our Creator created us with his voice.
keithprosser
Posts: 1,968
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 9:45:36 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
My post was directly aimed at what you said about the afterlife. You don't believe in an afterlife...
I don't believe in an afterlife, but it doesn't matter what I believe or even if there is an after life or not... the reason an afterlife is part of Christian doctrine is that it was adopted by the Jews from Greek ideas that prevailed at the time for socio-political reasons, probably a century or two before Jesus is supposed to have lived.

Whether there is an afterlife I cannot demonstrate, but the adoption of the afterlife by Jews at the time can be. Briefly, there is no clear conception of an afterlife in Judaic thought until intertestamentary times, as described in the Maccabean books. The miserable social conditions of the Jews in Roman palestine are documented both in the NT and in other historical works. We know that hellenic re-birth myths exited prior to the NT and that Hellenic influence was so great it even resulted in the Hebrew language being lost - the NT was written in Koine Greek, not Hebrew. Add it up - the Jews learned to believe in rebirth from the Greeks 200 years before Jesus at a time when their social condition and status was at one of its lowest points.

Whe knows - they might have been right to believe in an afterlife, but I don't have any good evidence for that being so.
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 4:52:29 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 6:49:28 AM, Durbodh wrote:
QUOTE You know what? The Vedic texts and the Upanishads are beautiful, wonderful testimonies to God. UNQUOTE

VEDAS ARE SHRUTI.

TO EXPERIENCE ONE VERSE OF VEDA -

AN ANCIENT INDIAN SAGE HAD TO DO SEVERAL PENANACE -

FOR DECADES.


When you say "penance", what do you mean?

Vedas are (not) mere testimonies or 'expressions'.

Few people on this planet can pronounce one verse of Veda or Bhagvadgita maintaining the PURITY OF UTTERANCE.

It was a compulsion to write Vedas.


What is important, the pronouncement or the meaning? If the pronouncement is important, why is this the case?

The word 'Christianity' itself is derived from Krishna Neeti.

Vatican is lifted from Vatika.

Man is 'Manu'.


Can you explain the meaning of this?
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
PureX
Posts: 1,525
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 5:14:37 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
The hugely original ideal that Christianity presented to humanity is the ideal that human beings are expressions of the divine (of "God"). No other or previous religion had conceived or purported of this ideal.
Durbodh
Posts: 63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 3:17:15 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 4:52:29 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 8/31/2016 6:49:28 AM, Durbodh wrote:
QUOTE You know what? The Vedic texts and the Upanishads are beautiful, wonderful testimonies to God. UNQUOTE

VEDAS ARE SHRUTI.

TO EXPERIENCE ONE VERSE OF VEDA -

AN ANCIENT INDIAN SAGE HAD TO DO SEVERAL PENANACE -

FOR DECADES.


When you say "penance", what do you mean?

There is no equivalent of ' Tapasya ' in english.

Vedas are (not) mere testimonies or 'expressions'.

Few people on this planet can pronounce one verse of Veda or Bhagvadgita maintaining the PURITY OF UTTERANCE.

It was a compulsion to write Vedas.


What is important, the pronouncement or the meaning? If the pronouncement is important, why is this the case?

Of course the sound is of utmost importance. You do not need to understand the meaning.

The word 'Christianity' itself is derived from Krishna Neeti.

Vatican is lifted from Vatika.

Man is 'Manu'.


Can you explain the meaning of this?

Meaning of what?
Durbodh
Posts: 63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 3:27:06 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 5:14:37 PM, PureX wrote:
The hugely original ideal that Christianity presented to humanity is the ideal that human beings are expressions of the divine (of "God"). No other or previous religion had conceived or purported of this ideal.

Namaste is how hindus say hello. It means 'I bow to the divine in you' .

According to Sanatana Dharma -

the world is a reflection / illusion of the supreme being.

We call it MAYA.
jameshanson133instagram
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 5:09:25 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 6:49:28 AM, Durbodh wrote:
QUOTE You know what? The Vedic texts and the Upanishads are beautiful, wonderful testimonies to God. UNQUOTE

VEDAS ARE SHRUTI.

TO EXPERIENCE ONE VERSE OF VEDA -

AN ANCIENT INDIAN SAGE HAD TO DO SEVERAL PENANACE -

FOR DECADES.


Vedas are mere testimonies or 'expressions'.

Few people on this planet can pronounce one verse of Veda or Bhagvadgita maintaining the PURITY OF UTTERANCE.

It was a compulsion to write Vedas.

The word 'Christianity' itself is derived from Krishna Neeti.

Vatican is lifted from Vatika.

Man is 'Manu'.

Just yesterday - hundreds of hindus have come back to Sanatana Dharma. They were lured into christianity.

IN INDIA CHRISTIANS AND MUSLIMS VISIT TEMPLES SECRETLY.

I appreciate your lack of ego.

how would you know that
PureX
Posts: 1,525
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 9:06:40 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/1/2016 3:27:06 PM, Durbodh wrote:
At 8/31/2016 5:14:37 PM, PureX wrote:
The hugely original ideal that Christianity presented to humanity is the ideal that human beings are expressions of the divine (of "God"). No other or previous religion had conceived or purported of this ideal.

Namaste is how hindus say hello. It means 'I bow to the divine in you' .

According to Sanatana Dharma -

the world is a reflection / illusion of the supreme being.

We call it MAYA.

Then I stand corrected. Apparently Christianity only introduced this ideal to western cultures.

However, I don't really see that it matters where this ideal originated. Do you? I think it's a good ideal, regardless. And it's unfortunate that religious Christianity has so blatantly perverted the ideal to make it refer to 'divine righteousness' (necessary for religious authoritarianism) rather than the divine love, forgiveness, kindness and generosity that 'Christ' ideal was originally intended to convey.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 9:17:29 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/30/2016 9:09:14 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 8/30/2016 11:37:02 AM, Durbodh wrote:
There is nothing original in Christianity.

Interesting claim, doesn"t seem to be true. Or do you know who first said:

But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.
Mat. 5:44-45

It was an atheist....no it wasn't...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 9:18:42 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/30/2016 11:37:02 AM, Durbodh wrote:
Why do christians believe in past life regression if there is no re birth?

Past life regression is lifted from past life samskaras.

So..you are telling us mankind's original.belief system matched Christianity...Whew...I feel so relieved.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 9:20:40 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 5:25:48 AM, freekundli wrote:
At 8/30/2016 9:12:08 PM, janesix wrote:
At 8/30/2016 11:37:02 AM, Durbodh wrote:
Why do christians believe in past life regression if there is no re birth?

Christians believe that, really?

Past life regression is lifted from past life samskaras.

I don't think they believe that..

We don't. The op's medication hasn't kicked inyet.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 9:22:02 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 6:30:28 AM, Pbody wrote:
At 8/31/2016 6:28:31 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 8/31/2016 6:27:16 AM, Pbody wrote:
At 8/31/2016 6:13:53 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
The Singularity

When duality collapses, and opposites unite. : :

Trying to explain how we observe illusions in our mind is very difficult, especially when you believe those illusions are made of matter.

What is matter? What matters. : :

You understood me very well.

There is no matter in the naturalistic sense. What percentage of your body is empty space?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 9:23:53 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
You aren't actually composed of anything

http://education.jlab.org...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
dsjpk5
Posts: 3,007
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 12:17:01 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/31/2016 6:49:28 AM, Durbodh wrote:



Vedas are mere testimonies or 'expressions'.

Few people on this planet can pronounce one verse of Veda or Bhagvadgita maintaining the PURITY OF UTTERANCE.

It was a compulsion to write Vedas.

The word 'Christianity' itself is derived from Krishna Neeti.

Nope. It comes from Jesus Christ.


Vatican is lifted from Vatika.


Nope. Vatican comes from the Latin word Vaticor meaning prophesy. Vatika means garden

Man is 'Manu'.

Just yesterday - hundreds of hindus have come back to Sanatana Dharma. They were lured into christianity.

IN INDIA CHRISTIANS AND MUSLIMS VISIT TEMPLES SECRETLY.

Probably as tourists.

I appreciate your lack of ego.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
Durbodh
Posts: 63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 1:24:04 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
The word 'Christianity' itself is derived from Krishna Neeti.

Nope. It comes from Jesus Christ.

And Christ comes from K R I S H N A

Vatican is lifted from Vatika.


Nope. Vatican comes from the Latin word Vaticor meaning prophesy. Vatika means garden

Vatica means Vedic religious center. Vatican St Peter"s cathedral was built on top of a Shiva temple.