another round of religious effects on society

cedertree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 7:38:31 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
https://humanism.org.uk...

please bring on the evidence of the goods and bads of the effects of religion on current society.
This is cited evidence please not philosophy.
Please base any philosophical arguments on facts of what religion does in today's world.
I'm sure there are goods and well as bads but I want to hear (read) them.
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 7:47:38 PM
At 8/31/2016 7:38:31 PM, cedertree wrote:

please bring on the evidence of the goods and bads of the effects of religion on current society.
Please base any philosophical arguments on facts of what religion does in today's world.

Response: The wealthiest countries where there is alleged more freedom, justice, etc.., were founded by religious people. So the study doesn't show that religion has a bad effect on society but shows that the effect is based on the ruler elected for a society and the political government in place.
cedertree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 1:36:38 AM
You did read the ninth and tenth paragraph yes?
So are you refuting the study?
If so which points do you refute?
finally, what evidence can you site to shows you points.

I understand. I too have refuted points I didn't agree with. It was pointed out to me by a very educated friend of mine that democracy correlates well with Protestantism.

I know all to well that correlation does not necessarily mean causation. In the claim of democracy following Protestantism, one could also find the willingness and legal right to learn to read the bible which opened up the ability to read other documents. Democracy and well educated citizens also correlate well.

My post is designed to open up debate about the effects religion has on society (good and bad). With education and open discussion we can make further advances in our species. With fact based evidence we can show more than just our opinions. With open minds we can make a change.

Is that not worthy of looking up a few facts?
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 2:07:27 AM

Fascinating article
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 10:01:08 AM
At 8/31/2016 7:47:38 PM, Fatihah wrote:

Response: The wealthiest countries where there is alleged more freedom, justice, etc.., were founded by religious people. So the study doesn't show that religion has a bad effect on society but shows that the effect is based on the ruler elected for a society and the political government in place.

But the poorest countries where there is very little freedom are ruled by fundamentalist religious governments. Explain that if you dare.
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 10:21:43 AM
At 9/1/2016 10:01:08 AM, Willows wrote:

But the poorest countries where there is very little freedom are ruled by fundamentalist religious governments. Explain that if you dare.

Response: Because each one of those countries were colonized by imperialists or white supremacists, thus destroying their economic and political systems and extorting leaders to support their imperialistic gain, rather than helping the country.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 12:59:04 PM
At 9/1/2016 10:21:43 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 9/1/2016 10:01:08 AM, Willows wrote:

Response: Because each one of those countries were colonized by imperialists or white supremacists, thus destroying their economic and political systems and extorting leaders to support their imperialistic gain, rather than helping the country.

I live in a country (Australia) that was colonised by imperialists and we are far more advanced, same with New Zealand and Canada.
Look at Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, Libia, India, all highly religious societies, stuck in a time warp of poverty and backward ideals. There is a point at which we have to stop blaming outside forces and look at what is still ripping those societies apart; religion and religious factions.
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 1:10:37 PM
At 9/1/2016 12:59:04 PM, Willows wrote:

I live in a country (Australia) that was colonised by imperialists and we are far more advanced, same with New Zealand and Canada.
Look at Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, Libia, India, all highly religious societies, stuck in a time warp of poverty and backward ideals. There is a point at which we have to stop blaming outside forces and look at what is still ripping those societies apart; religion and religious factions.

Response: Those who colonized you also set up your political and economic system, provided that it served the interest of the colonizers. So your country is more advanced because your former ruler allows it and set it up for advancement. Whereas Saudi Arabia, Iran Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, Libia, and India , were colonized and their political and economic system were set up by their former oppressor in a way that keeps them backwards. Not because of religion.

Case in point. the leaders of every single country you named were placed and propped up with the help of their former colonizers. Not because of religion. If it was based on religion, we would not see a vast difference in the economy and social conditions between Morocco and Dubai in comparison to Iraq and Iran.