Jump to topic:

Hindu Creation

keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 7:48:08 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
There has been a bit of chat about Hinduism. It is interesting (to me) that in Hinduism the origin of the universe is 'unknowable' - even to the gods themselves.

There is a hymn in the Rig Veda (Nasadiya Sukta) that admits the incomprehensibility of creation, even to the greatest god:

Whence all creation had its origin,
he, whether he fashioned it or whether he did not,
he, who surveys it all from highest heaven,
he knows - or maybe even he does not know.

There are actually numerous Hindu creation myths, but they are quite possibly intended to be read as 'tall tales', written to mock the idea of creation myths, with the structure of 'this is god that made the stars' (or seas, whatever god is proposed) and end with the rhetorical question 'Who is this god'?

The ancient Hindus acknowledge definite limits of what they belived could be known, even to gods - a stark contrast to the certainty expressed by Abrahmic religions. I find the Hindu attitude a refreshing change from Abrahamic dogmatism. I think the ancient Hindu would have been delighted with the progress modern science has show their scepticism wrong - the origin of the universe may be knowable even by man.

When human science does understand the origin of the universe, I don't think it will affect Hindus or Hinduism very much at all. The big bang does not threaten Hinduism in the same way it threatens the Abrahamic faiths

I'm not saying all the stories of monkey gods and gods with elephant heads are likely to be true, but sometimes it is not clear that all devout and pious Hindus believe such stories as much more than 'just so stories'.

I'd ask the Hindus on the board to comment, but I think they are nutters - evidently the Abrahamic religions have no monopoly on harbouring nutters. They will no doubt comment anyway.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 8:01:39 PM
At 8/31/2016 7:48:08 PM, keithprosser wrote:
There has been a bit of chat about Hinduism. It is interesting (to me) that in Hinduism the origin of the universe is 'unknowable' - even to the gods themselves.

There is a hymn in the Rig Veda (Nasadiya Sukta) that admits the incomprehensibility of creation, even to the greatest god:

Whence all creation had its origin,
he, whether he fashioned it or whether he did not,
he, who surveys it all from highest heaven,
he knows - or maybe even he does not know.

There are actually numerous Hindu creation myths, but they are quite possibly intended to be read as 'tall tales', written to mock the idea of creation myths, with the structure of 'this is god that made the stars' (or seas, whatever god is proposed) and end with the rhetorical question 'Who is this god'?

The ancient Hindus acknowledge definite limits of what they belived could be known, even to gods - a stark contrast to the certainty expressed by Abrahmic religions. I find the Hindu attitude a refreshing change from Abrahamic dogmatism. I think the ancient Hindu would have been delighted with the progress modern science has show their scepticism wrong - the origin of the universe may be knowable even by man.

When human science does understand the origin of the universe, I don't think it will affect Hindus or Hinduism very much at all. The big bang does not threaten Hinduism in the same way it threatens the Abrahamic faiths

I'm not saying all the stories of monkey gods and gods with elephant heads are likely to be true, but sometimes it is not clear that all devout and pious Hindus believe such stories as much more than 'just so stories'.

I'd ask the Hindus on the board to comment, but I think they are nutters - evidently the Abrahamic religions have no monopoly on harbouring nutters. They will no doubt comment anyway.

I certainly hope that the centuries of Vedic tradition are not truly represented by the pair of sh1tforbrains who write their belligerent nonsense here.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 8:22:26 PM
I read the scriptures, and I don't get the impression that Abrahamic faiths are anything like what you think they are. I think you have bad information.

That said, I'm not going to knock your interest in Hinduism, it's very rich and worthy of study.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 8:26:10 PM
I think we can safely assume they aren't typical. They never even mention the greatest of all Indian gods - Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Did I say god? I meant 'Wicket keeper/batstman' but real Hindus make little distinction.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 8:31:37 PM
At 8/31/2016 8:26:10 PM, keithprosser wrote:
I think we can safely assume they aren't typical. They never even mention the greatest of all Indian gods - Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Did I say god? I meant 'Wicket keeper/batstman' but real Hindus make little distinction.

I do hope that your (justifiable) praise of M S is not meant to impugn the mighty Farokh Engineer (even if he isn't a Hindu)
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 8:31:38 PM
Brahman.

It's their word for The One True God. You know what it means? The Ultimate Reality.

It's the same God.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 8:39:57 PM
Culture, traditions, language. All these these present a different outward appearance, but the God they point to is the same.

And so the scripture is fulfilled..

"And verily, We have sent among every nation a Messenger proclaiming: "Worship God alone, and do not worship false gods." Then of them were some whom God guided and of them were some upon whom error was deservedly decreed. So travel through the land and see what was the end of those who denied The Truth."
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 8:42:56 PM
At 8/31/2016 8:39:57 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Culture, traditions, language. All these these present a different outward appearance, but the God they point to is the same.

And so the scripture is fulfilled..

"And verily, We have sent among every nation a Messenger proclaiming: "Worship God alone, and do not worship false gods." Then of them were some whom God guided and of them were some upon whom error was deservedly decreed. So travel through the land and see what was the end of those who denied The Truth."

Now the sad old liar tries to bring India into its fantasyland.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 8:56:05 PM
At 8/31/2016 8:31:38 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Brahman.

It's their word for The One True God. You know what it means? The Ultimate Reality.

It's the same God.

It's spelled 'Bradman', not 'Brahman'. Test averate 99.94 but he was a) Australian and b) not a wicket keeper.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 9:03:23 PM
At 8/31/2016 8:56:05 PM, keithprosser wrote:
At 8/31/2016 8:31:38 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Brahman.

It's the same God.

It's spelled 'Bradman', not 'Brahman'. Test averate 99.94 but he was a) Australian and b) not a wicket keeper.

Whatever.. I'll be departing now..
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2016 11:06:37 PM
Interesting.

I like the idea of a religion that admits to a little modest ignorance. Other religions do not accept the unknown so well.