Jump to topic:

We're not enemies

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 12:02:43 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
So on this particular forum there is a lot of "Atheist vs Theist, Christian vs Muslim" arguments happening. That's fine, that's what this is for (mostly), but what really bothers me is that somewhere in the arguing a lot of people on both sides of the argument are treating the opposing side as the enemy. That's just not correct, and it really seems to be the source of most of this forums problems.

The point of this thread is just to ask people in this forum to try to treat people of opposing views with respect, seriously we are the problem with the religion forum, so we are the ones who can fix it.

If we treat people on the other side of the argument as monsters, then we ourselves become the monsters we hate.
Meh!
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 1:29:25 PM
At 9/2/2016 12:02:43 PM, Axonly wrote:
So on this particular forum there is a lot of "Atheist vs Theist, Christian vs Muslim" arguments happening. That's fine, that's what this is for (mostly), but what really bothers me is that somewhere in the arguing a lot of people on both sides of the argument are treating the opposing side as the enemy. That's just not correct, and it really seems to be the source of most of this forums problems.

The point of this thread is just to ask people in this forum to try to treat people of opposing views with respect, seriously we are the problem with the religion forum, so we are the ones who can fix it.

If we treat people on the other side of the argument as monsters, then we ourselves become the monsters we hate.

A futile effort, but +1 anyway.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 8:43:00 PM
At 9/2/2016 1:29:25 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Cheers
Meh!
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 8:47:48 PM
At 9/2/2016 8:43:00 PM, Axonly wrote:
At 9/2/2016 1:29:25 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Cheers

Darn you, human nature! Daaaarn youuuuu!!! ;P

Despite the commentary, my support is sincere. Have a good weekend, Axonly!
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 10:15:29 PM
This thread is not halal. :P
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 3:01:35 AM

You are right,but there is one Muslim...no not the complete fool known as Fatiha, but Uncung, who has stated and believes that Islam requires the complete domination and subjugation of all of mankind. according to him, the Muslim religion commands complete subservience by all peoples to Islam. He believes in the death of all who refuse to submit to Islam. He is disgusting, but does believe what the Koran says. I really don't believe that there can be peace between Islam and all other peoples on the planet unless Muslims denounce low lifes such as Uncung. If this does not happen then Islam will be at war with planet earth. Islam will lose.
Beisht_Kione
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 7:14:01 AM
At 9/3/2016 3:01:35 AM, lotsoffun wrote:

You are right,but there is one Muslim...no not the complete fool known as Fatiha, but Uncung, who has stated and believes that Islam requires the complete domination and subjugation of all of mankind. according to him, the Muslim religion commands complete subservience by all peoples to Islam. He believes in the death of all who refuse to submit to Islam. He is disgusting, but does believe what the Koran says. I really don't believe that there can be peace between Islam and all other peoples on the planet unless Muslims denounce low lifes such as Uncung. If this does not happen then Islam will be at war with planet earth. Islam will lose.

+1
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 7:28:29 AM
A lot of people on both sides of the argument are treating the opposing side as the enemy. That's just not correct, and it really seems to be the source of most of this forums problems.
I agree that it's an illusion, Ax, born of the fact that this being a forum of contested ideas, it emphasises differences but not similarities and common ground.

But I believe that our forum's problems arise not from focusing on disagreements at cost to awareness of the person, but from disrespect of the person in the first place. In this forum I've heard regularly claims that all atheists are amoral hedonists; all Muslims are terrorists; all Christians are gay-hating theocrats.

None of those claims is remotely true. But sadly, what is true is that many members enter with disrespect, and our discussions don't greatly improve on that deficiency.

It's a worthy request Ax, and I endorse it. However I don't believe we can hope members will be respectful when some disrespect is enshrined in sacred doctrine itself. Part of what makes this forum important is that disrespectful traditions can be challenged, and the ethics of doing so can be challenged to.

This I strongly endorse. The thoughts being discussed here are very old, and humans have been developing and seeking to reform and improve on civilisations for their entire recorded history. So some doctrines upheld as the peak of virtue in the past may seem ignorant, cruel, disrespectful, even wicked, and deserving of critique; while some members considering ancient doctrines the peak of virtue may now consider more modern ideas degenerate and impious.

But that doesn't make their adherents demons.

It's a hard line to balance, isn't it?
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 9:53:41 AM
So on this particular forum there is a lot of "Atheist vs Theist, Christian vs Muslim" arguments happening.

That was to be expected.

That's fine, that's what this is for (mostly), but what really bothers me is that somewhere in the arguing a lot of people on both sides of the argument are treating the opposing side as the enemy.

Make no mistake about it.
People here who openly endorse the mass rape of German women as young as eight and as many as 60 times, who endorse the godly slaughtering of at least 50% of mankind, who endorse the fatwa against Salman Rushdie, a novelist, for writing a novel, people who, if they ever rose to power would deprive atheists from their constitutional rights, make no mistake about it.

These folks *are* my intelectual enemies.

That's just not correct, and it really seems to be the source of most of this forums problems.

The forum has no problems, at least not in the sense you're using the word. Free speech comes with a price tag.

It's a price I'm willing to pay.

Indeed, respect is key.
But, again, make no mistake about it. There comes a time when insults are perfectly justified. I have precisely insulted two individuals around here. I shan't take anything back, not until they retract from what they have said and motivated the insults in the first place. Bear in mind I was also the`*only* person who actually defended the individual I had insulted when others started poking fun at his personal life.

Can you spot the difference?

Some positions being ardently defended around here are indeed monstrous.
And the monstrosity needs to be called out.

Calling out the monstrosity in other people's statements doesn't magically infuse yours with a degree of hideousness of their own.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:24:02 PM

I quite agree.
Unfortunately, rivalry, hatred, jealousy, enemies, fear and guilt are all symtomatic of the very title of this forum.......Religion!
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 1:37:04 PM

Excellent point!
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 2:13:52 PM
At 9/3/2016 1:37:04 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

Excellent point!
Then why are thwe theists represented on this forum so frightened of atheists? As far as I can tell, atheists have no interest in attacking theists and yet theists are not iof the same calibre.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 2:56:24 PM
At 9/3/2016 2:13:52 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/3/2016 1:37:04 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

Excellent point!
Then why are thwe theists represented on this forum so frightened of atheists? As far as I can tell, atheists have no interest in attacking theists and yet theists are not iof the same calibre.

That pretty funny, coming from you! You've made a career out of attacking theists.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 3:42:03 PM

As though to prove my point, Arthur has just declared his endorsement of the murder of Charlie Hebdo staff members during the Paris terrorist attacks.

These are some of the baffling things theists have said around here:

1. The murder of Charlie Hebdo staff was justified.
2. The mass rape of German women as young as 8 and as many times as 60 in the last days of World War II was justified.
3. God killing the children of someone who failed to report and hand in a rapist who happened to live in the same city was justified.
4. The divine slaughter of at least half of mankind will be justified. It can be considered suicide.
5. God drowning foetuses, newborns, infants and mentally challenged people in Noah's Flood was justified.
6. Homosexuals should be killed. Stoning is to be the method.
7. The death sentence - fatwa - issued by an Iranian theocrat against a non-muslim non-Iranian novelist for writing a novel was justified.
8. Dinosaurs have never ever existed.
9. Public lashing of teens is justified.
10. Marrying a 6-year old girl is justified.
11. There is nothing wrong with US state laws banning atheists from running for office.
12. Atheists deserve to be fed to the dogs.

Please, next time you feel like your inner boy scout is getting the better of you, do reflect upon these statements. If you cannot acknowledge them as pronouncements from people who can't but qualify as your intelectual enemies, I think you are gravely mistaken. Perhaps the mistake will only be apparent to you when it's tragically too late and these individuals are, metaphorically speaking, at your door step.

Not to bring you freshly baked cookies, mind you.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 4:12:04 PM

If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung

Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 6:17:16 PM

"Monsters of hate" wow, what an interesting title. Was this suppose to be some sort of inspirational speech to get people to stop arguing? It failed. This is a debate website you do realize right? If you're offended, please feel free to leave.
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 7:39:11 PM
At 9/3/2016 6:17:16 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

"Monsters of hate" wow, what an interesting title. Was this suppose to be some sort of inspirational speech to get people to stop arguing? It failed. This is a debate website you do realize right? If you're offended, please feel free to leave.

Yet you feel insulted when I suggested you leave the site as you think it stinks. What a hypocritical North Korean panda lady you are.
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:03:58 PM
At 9/3/2016 7:39:11 PM, desmac wrote:

Yet you feel insulted when I suggested you leave the site as you think it stinks. What a hypocritical North Korean panda lady you are.

And what a creepy stalker you are. You "monster of hate", get thee out of this website and stop fouling cyber space with your foul presence.
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:10:33 PM
At 9/3/2016 11:03:58 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 9/3/2016 7:39:11 PM, desmac wrote:

And what a creepy stalker you are. You "monster of hate", get thee out of this website and stop fouling cyber space with your foul presence.

Hypocrisy thy name is Panda.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:45:03 PM

I don't think you read much of this. I quite directly mention that arguing is good, that's what the site is for. I'm referring to the flame wars some arguments descend into.

PS: "Monsters of hate" never appears in anything I have said, let alone the title.
Meh!
cedertree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 12:14:59 AM
I would love nothing more than man kind coming together to solve its problems. It is to this end that I feel that religion is a barrier to this goal.
Jesus said to love thy neighbor but what if they are not your neighbor what if they are half way around the world, what if they have different skin color, what if they don't worship the same gods, what if they don't love the same way or the right gender, what if they have different culture, what if they have dissimilar history's?
Some one in the new testaments also said to walk away if the people of said town or area don't receive the word of Jesus. If they don't receive the word of Allah then kill them. Death to those who do not recognize the wisdom of Odin or (and I say this to be fair) if you are a believer in any of that then you must die in this country (China).
My point is that the divisiveness of man's doctrines will always be useful in making us want to harm one another and yes as far as I'm concerned (and evidence back it up) the Bible and Koran are man made.
I'm not well versed in the Koran but I do know that the Bible is very much about an "us" vrs "them" attitude. The doctrine shows that.
The religious are more concerned about the after life than this one. To this end I feel that there can be very little compromise with the doctrine of the Abrahamic holy text. if I could change this in one fell stroke without causing harm I would.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 12:20:30 AM
Atheists and theists are not really that far apart in their thinking.
There are10,000 Gods (at last count) believed by theists.
Its just that atheists believe in one less God than theists.
thedynasty139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 1:19:34 AM

I have denounced him before, and long before you have. For once I actually agree with you on one thing.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 2:04:59 AM
At 9/4/2016 1:19:34 AM, thedynasty139 wrote:

I have denounced him before, and long before you have. For once I actually agree with you on one thing.

What is the point of your statement?
thedynasty139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 2:12:47 AM
At 9/4/2016 2:04:59 AM, lotsoffun wrote:

Maybe try reading your original statement. I'm sure a big boy like you is capable of scrolling up a bit.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 2:14:01 AM
At 9/4/2016 2:12:47 AM, thedynasty139 wrote:

Maybe try reading your original statement. I'm sure a big boy like you is capable of scrolling up a bit.

No. enlighten me.
thedynasty139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 2:19:53 AM
At 9/4/2016 2:14:01 AM, lotsoffun wrote:

No. enlighten me.

It's an ignorant statement, but nonetheless I was kind enough to entertain it. Here it is for you:

"I really don't believe that there can be peace between Islam and all other peoples on the planet unless Muslims denounce low lifes such as Uncung. If this does not happen then Islam will be at war with planet earth."

If you actually took the time to actually get to know some good Muslims, maybe you wouldn't have this delusion of there not being enough Muslims condemning terrorism and the like. Just a thought, hopefully you'll take it into consideration.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 2:28:01 AM
At 9/4/2016 2:19:53 AM, thedynasty139 wrote:

No. enlighten me.

It's an ignorant statement, but nonetheless I was kind enough to entertain it. Here it is for you:

"I really don't believe that there can be peace between Islam and all other peoples on the planet unless Muslims denounce low lifes such as Uncung. If this does not happen then Islam will be at war with planet earth."

If you actually took the time to actually get to know some good Muslims, maybe you wouldn't have this delusion of there not being enough Muslims condemning terrorism and the like. Just a thought, hopefully you'll take it into consideration.

For a kid just out of diapers, if you're really 16 years old, you're quite presumptuous and uncannily arrogant little boy. I know quite a few good people that happen to label themselves Muslim. some never go to mosque and some are somewhat observant. some are sunni and some Shia. The Shia are Persian and are the least religious, if at all. they fit in very well in Western societies. My point is that the ideology of islam is not fit for this world. Uncung follows what the Koran states. Way too many Muslims follow it literally. That is a danger to all of us.
thedynasty139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 2:46:37 AM
At 9/4/2016 2:28:01 AM, lotsoffun wrote:

No. enlighten me.

For a kid just out of diapers, if you're really 16 years old, you're quite presumptuous and uncannily arrogant little boy. I know quite a few good people that happen to label themselves Muslim. some never go to mosque and some are somewhat observant. some are sunni and some Shia. The Shia are Persian and are the least religious, if at all. they fit in very well in Western societies. My point is that the ideology of islam is not fit for this world. Uncung follows what the Koran states. Way too many Muslims follow it literally. That is a danger to all of us.

Ad hominem coming from the likes of you is hardly meaningful. If anything I've ever said to you offends you, just understand that it might just be because you make many bold claims, but have the audacity to just leave them as what they are: empty claims. Try changing that and maybe I'll treat you like someone worth discussing matters as heavy as religion with. It's really hard to debate you when you bash Muslims while providing minimal evidence for your bold claims.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 2:54:34 AM
At 9/4/2016 2:46:37 AM, thedynasty139 wrote:
At 9/4/2016 2:28:01 AM, lotsoffun wrote:

No. enlighten me.

Ad hominem coming from the likes of you is hardly meaningful. If anything I've ever said to you offends you, just understand that it might just be because you make many bold claims, but have the audacity to just leave them as what they are: empty claims. Try changing that and maybe I'll treat you like someone worth discussing matters as heavy as religion with. It's really hard to debate you when you bash Muslims while providing minimal evidence for your bold claims.

I don't care about the way you so called treat me. You don't matter.I answered you and you can't take it. Too bad for you. Ad homenin coming from you as well. Of course you can't see that.