Total Posts:85|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is Religion Radical?

Willows
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 12:49:04 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
In today's modern, civilised, secular society, religious belief must surely be the domain of the obstinate few who choose to shun mainstream society. After all:

1. Religion is based on the unproven concept that here is a spiritual creator.

2. Religious institutions preach sexist, racist and homophobic beliefs contrary to the laws of mainstream society.

3. Religious institutions consistently use fear and guilt to recruit and keep its members.

Could it be that religion is a medium for some to justify their radical views?
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 1:29:26 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 12:49:04 PM, Willows wrote:
In today's modern, civilised, secular society, religious belief must surely be the domain of the obstinate few who choose to shun mainstream society. After all:

1. Religion is based on the unproven concept that here is a spiritual creator.

2. Religious institutions preach sexist, racist and homophobic beliefs contrary to the laws of mainstream society.

3. Religious institutions consistently use fear and guilt to recruit and keep its members.

Could it be that religion is a medium for some to justify their radical views?

so what we gonna do then?
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 1:47:12 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 1:29:26 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 12:49:04 PM, Willows wrote:
In today's modern, civilised, secular society, religious belief must surely be the domain of the obstinate few who choose to shun mainstream society. After all:

1. Religion is based on the unproven concept that here is a spiritual creator.

2. Religious institutions preach sexist, racist and homophobic beliefs contrary to the laws of mainstream society.

3. Religious institutions consistently use fear and guilt to recruit and keep its members.

Could it be that religion is a medium for some to justify their radical views?

so what we gonna do then?

Well you should give up your God would be a good start.
Maybe you can start a trend. One main religion has to start .
Because if you got a God they can have a god to.
Give up your religion. Join the no Godders and ween down the others.
Lessen others until it's almost embarrassing that you believe in it.
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 2:06:21 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 1:47:12 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 9/3/2016 1:29:26 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 12:49:04 PM, Willows wrote:
In today's modern, civilised, secular society, religious belief must surely be the domain of the obstinate few who choose to shun mainstream society. After all:

1. Religion is based on the unproven concept that here is a spiritual creator.

2. Religious institutions preach sexist, racist and homophobic beliefs contrary to the laws of mainstream society.

3. Religious institutions consistently use fear and guilt to recruit and keep its members.

Could it be that religion is a medium for some to justify their radical views?

so what we gonna do then?

Well you should give up your God would be a good start.
Maybe you can start a trend. One main religion has to start .
Because if you got a God they can have a god to.
Give up your religion. Join the no Godders and ween down the others.
Lessen others until it's almost embarrassing that you believe in it.

If I could start a new religion, I would start the religion that prohibits fornication, beer, pork, homosexuality, and atheism.
I would use also fear and guilt to recruit and keep my members.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 3:32:03 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 2:06:21 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 1:47:12 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 9/3/2016 1:29:26 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 12:49:04 PM, Willows wrote:
In today's modern, civilised, secular society, religious belief must surely be the domain of the obstinate few who choose to shun mainstream society. After all:

1. Religion is based on the unproven concept that here is a spiritual creator.

2. Religious institutions preach sexist, racist and homophobic beliefs contrary to the laws of mainstream society.

3. Religious institutions consistently use fear and guilt to recruit and keep its members.

Could it be that religion is a medium for some to justify their radical views?

so what we gonna do then?

Well you should give up your God would be a good start.
Maybe you can start a trend. One main religion has to start .
Because if you got a God they can have a god to.
Give up your religion. Join the no Godders and ween down the others.
Lessen others until it's almost embarrassing that you believe in it.

If I could start a new religion, I would start the religion that prohibits fornication, beer, pork, homosexuality, and atheism.
I would use also fear and guilt to recruit and keep my members.

If I could start one , I would prohibit straight up stupidity. Like not allowing people to eat pork chops, and beer.
Hey, The way you say things like this , and pretend it's normal. Like the whole wife bashing thing, and chops , gays. I feel the tone in wich you type it.
Your looking for " normal " people to say that's wrong.
You say it like it's common sense.
But I know full well even you think it's wrong to, but uncung , I will not tell anyone.
I feel for you in a way. I really do.maybe one day soon you look back on these times and have a little chuckle about it.
Uncung , if there's anything I can do buddy , I'm here for ya.

Can you also do me a big big favor uncung.
Please.

If you could, can you please promise me to Love more . and look after and love fellow man and women.
I believe your better then religion.
Your going to be OK , I just know it.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,770
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 3:42:12 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 12:49:04 PM, Willows wrote:
In today's modern, civilised, secular society, religious belief must surely be the domain of the obstinate few who choose to shun mainstream society. After all:

1. Religion is based on the unproven concept that here is a spiritual creator.

2. Religious institutions preach sexist, racist and homophobic beliefs contrary to the laws of mainstream society.

3. Religious institutions consistently use fear and guilt to recruit and keep its members.

Could it be that religion is a medium for some to justify their radical views?

Response: The morals and values of atheist and agnostics come from religion, as well as the advancement of all societies since we clearly did not evolve from some apelike ancestor and God does in fact exist. So religion cannot be excluded from mainstream society since religion is mainstream and the basis of all civilized societies.

Without religion, we would be uncivilized and backwards just like the monkeys many atheists and agnostics claim are their grandparents.
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 3:48:32 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 3:32:03 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 9/3/2016 2:06:21 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 1:47:12 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 9/3/2016 1:29:26 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 12:49:04 PM, Willows wrote:
In today's modern, civilised, secular society, religious belief must surely be the domain of the obstinate few who choose to shun mainstream society. After all:

1. Religion is based on the unproven concept that here is a spiritual creator.

2. Religious institutions preach sexist, racist and homophobic beliefs contrary to the laws of mainstream society.

3. Religious institutions consistently use fear and guilt to recruit and keep its members.

Could it be that religion is a medium for some to justify their radical views?

so what we gonna do then?

Well you should give up your God would be a good start.
Maybe you can start a trend. One main religion has to start .
Because if you got a God they can have a god to.
Give up your religion. Join the no Godders and ween down the others.
Lessen others until it's almost embarrassing that you believe in it.

If I could start a new religion, I would start the religion that prohibits fornication, beer, pork, homosexuality, and atheism.
I would use also fear and guilt to recruit and keep my members.

If I could start one , I would prohibit straight up stupidity. Like not allowing people to eat pork chops, and beer.
Hey, The way you say things like this , and pretend it's normal. Like the whole wife bashing thing, and chops , gays. I feel the tone in wich you type it.
Your looking for " normal " people to say that's wrong.
You say it like it's common sense.
But I know full well even you think it's wrong to, but uncung , I will not tell anyone.
I feel for you in a way. I really do.maybe one day soon you look back on these times and have a little chuckle about it.
Uncung , if there's anything I can do buddy , I'm here for ya.

Can you also do me a big big favor uncung.
Please.

If you could, can you please promise me to Love more . and look after and love fellow man and women.
I believe your better then religion.
Your going to be OK , I just know it.

YES i promise to love more and look after and love fellow men and women if your troops leaved our country out and let us apply our own religion in our country. stop promoting your secular democratic ideology on us.
bulproof
Posts: 25,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 3:48:44 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 3:42:12 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 9/3/2016 12:49:04 PM, Willows wrote:
In today's modern, civilised, secular society, religious belief must surely be the domain of the obstinate few who choose to shun mainstream society. After all:

1. Religion is based on the unproven concept that here is a spiritual creator.

2. Religious institutions preach sexist, racist and homophobic beliefs contrary to the laws of mainstream society.

3. Religious institutions consistently use fear and guilt to recruit and keep its members.

Could it be that religion is a medium for some to justify their radical views?

Response: The morals and values of atheist and agnostics come from religion, as well as the advancement of all societies since we clearly did not evolve from some apelike ancestor and God does in fact exist. So religion cannot be excluded from mainstream society since religion is mainstream and the basis of all civilized societies.

Without religion, we would be uncivilized and backwards just like the monkeys many atheists and agnostics claim are their grandparents.
Caspar the friendly ghost exists and is much nicer than your god or anyone elses god.
Worship CASPAR.
keithprosser
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 4:15:52 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 12:49:04 PM, Willows wrote:
In today's modern, civilised, secular society, religious belief must surely be the domain of the obstinate few who choose to shun mainstream society. After all:

1. Religion is based on the unproven concept that here is a spiritual creator.

2. Religious institutions preach sexist, racist and homophobic beliefs contrary to the laws of mainstream society.

3. Religious institutions consistently use fear and guilt to recruit and keep its members.

Could it be that religion is a medium for some to justify their radical views?

There must be a chicken and egg situation here... to express what I mean let me say '(social-)reactionary' to stand for the sort of person who thinks women are second-class citizens and homosexuality is a disease to be cured, that sort of thing. I will say '(religious-)zealot' for someone who believes the dogma of their religion is the absolutem unchanging god-given truth.

The question then is: are religious-zealots religious-zealots because they are at heart social-reactionaries, or are social-reactionaries social-reactionaries because they are at heart religious-zealots?

That isn't meant facetiously - I think it is an important issue and I haven't thought of a different way to state it. I am neither a social-reactionary nor a religious-zealot so i don't know first hand what makes such people 'tick'. It would be interesting to know from anyone who has give up religion whether they notw have more 'liberal' social views and what part their social views played in their renunciiation of religion.

Often ex-theists give scientific or logical reasons for their anti-conversion. But I wonder if not a small proportion abandon religion because it clashes with their social conscience.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 5:05:29 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 3:48:32 PM, uncung wrote:

YES i promise to love more and look after and love fellow men and women if your troops leaved our country out and let us apply our own religion in our country. stop promoting freedom on us.

fixd
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 5:13:44 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 5:05:29 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:48:32 PM, uncung wrote:

YES i promise to love more and look after and love fellow men and women if your troops leaved our country out and let us apply our own religion in our country. stop promoting freedom on us.

fixd

you do mean freedom in practicing religion.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 5:33:46 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 5:13:44 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:05:29 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:48:32 PM, uncung wrote:

YES i promise to love more and look after and love fellow men and women if your troops leaved our country out and let us apply our own religion in our country. stop promoting freedom on us.

fixd

you do mean freedom in practicing religion.

Absolutely, freedom to practice it is a secular democratic ideology.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 5:35:33 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 5:33:46 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:13:44 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:05:29 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:48:32 PM, uncung wrote:

YES i promise to love more and look after and love fellow men and women if your troops leaved our country out and let us apply our own religion in our country. stop promoting freedom on us.

fixd

you do mean freedom in practicing religion.

Absolutely, freedom to practice it is a secular democratic ideology.

what about freedom to wear burka?
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 5:39:20 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 5:35:33 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:33:46 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:13:44 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:05:29 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:48:32 PM, uncung wrote:

YES i promise to love more and look after and love fellow men and women if your troops leaved our country out and let us apply our own religion in our country. stop promoting freedom on us.

fixd

you do mean freedom in practicing religion.

Absolutely, freedom to practice it is a secular democratic ideology.

what about freedom to wear burka?

Yes, you are free to wear a burka. Do you wear one now?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 5:48:19 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 5:39:20 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:35:33 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:33:46 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:13:44 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:05:29 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:48:32 PM, uncung wrote:

YES i promise to love more and look after and love fellow men and women if your troops leaved our country out and let us apply our own religion in our country. stop promoting freedom on us.

fixd

you do mean freedom in practicing religion.

Absolutely, freedom to practice it is a secular democratic ideology.

what about freedom to wear burka?

Yes, you are free to wear a burka. Do you wear one now?

lie, it is not allowed in the freedom secular democratic countries.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 6:01:53 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 12:49:04 PM, Willows wrote:
In today's modern, civilised, secular society, religious belief must surely be the domain of the obstinate few who choose to shun mainstream society. After all:

1. Religion is based on the unproven concept that here is a spiritual creator.

2. Religious institutions preach sexist, racist and homophobic beliefs contrary to the laws of mainstream society.

3. Religious institutions consistently use fear and guilt to recruit and keep its members.

Could it be that religion is a medium for some to justify their radical views?

Atheism was used to justify killing millions of Russians by Stalin. No accountability, no god, no meaning, no good, no evil, so? Anything goes. It was simply survival of the fittest.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 6:14:27 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 5:48:19 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:39:20 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:35:33 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:33:46 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:13:44 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:05:29 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:48:32 PM, uncung wrote:

YES i promise to love more and look after and love fellow men and women if your troops leaved our country out and let us apply our own religion in our country. stop promoting freedom on us.

fixd

you do mean freedom in practicing religion.

Absolutely, freedom to practice it is a secular democratic ideology.

what about freedom to wear burka?

Yes, you are free to wear a burka. Do you wear one now?

lie, it is not allowed in the freedom secular democratic countries.

If it's a lie, then why are there no laws banning the wearing of a burka in all of North America? See for yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So, do you wear a burka?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Willows
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:41:20 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 6:01:53 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 9/3/2016 12:49:04 PM, Willows wrote:
In today's modern, civilised, secular society, religious belief must surely be the domain of the obstinate few who choose to shun mainstream society. After all:

1. Religion is based on the unproven concept that here is a spiritual creator.

2. Religious institutions preach sexist, racist and homophobic beliefs contrary to the laws of mainstream society.

3. Religious institutions consistently use fear and guilt to recruit and keep its members.

Could it be that religion is a medium for some to justify their radical views?

Atheism was used to justify killing millions of Russians by Stalin. No accountability, no god, no meaning, no good, no evil, so? Anything goes. It was simply survival of the fittest.

Nonsense, show me one piece of evidence that Stalin killed millions in the name of atheism.
Hitler was a devout Catholic and delivered a speech in Berlin on 1 February 1933 declaring the destruction of his enemies in the name of God.
There are many passages in "Mein Kampf" outlining Hitler's solution to the "Jewish problem", in the name of God.
Willows
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:51:47 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 4:15:52 PM, keithprosser wrote:
At 9/3/2016 12:49:04 PM, Willows wrote:

Often ex-theists give scientific or logical reasons for their anti-conversion. But I wonder if not a small proportion abandon religion because it clashes with their social conscience.

They do, I for one. I personally know others who have ditched their religion because of their churches' stand on such issues. And these are just moderate, mainstream churches.

I know there are varying degrees of faith, for example, within Christian denominations and I think that most followers give their faith nothing more than lip service.
For example, here in Australia the last government census revealed that less than 14% of Catholics regularly attend church.
Willows
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 12:01:34 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 3:42:12 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 9/3/2016 12:49:04 PM, Willows wrote:
In today's modern, civilised, secular society, religious belief must surely be the domain of the obstinate few who choose to shun mainstream society. After all:

1. Religion is based on the unproven concept that here is a spiritual creator.

2. Religious institutions preach sexist, racist and homophobic beliefs contrary to the laws of mainstream society.

3. Religious institutions consistently use fear and guilt to recruit and keep its members.

Could it be that religion is a medium for some to justify their radical views?

Response: The morals and values of atheist and agnostics come from religion, as well as the advancement of all societies since we clearly did not evolve from some apelike ancestor and God does in fact exist. So religion cannot be excluded from mainstream society since religion is mainstream and the basis of all civilized societies.

Without religion, we would be uncivilized and backwards just like the monkeys many atheists and agnostics claim are their grandparents.

Just because religion has "some" of its morals and values in common with secular society does not mean that those morals and values are the sole domain of religion. Modern secular societies make laws and judgements based on informed concensus, independant of any religious intervention.
In fact, my thread is intended to expose many religious dictums as immoral and having no value in today's society.
Willows
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 12:10:44 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 2:06:21 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 1:47:12 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 9/3/2016 1:29:26 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/3/2016 12:49:04 PM, Willows wrote:
In today's modern, civilised, secular society, religious belief must surely be the domain of the obstinate few who choose to shun mainstream society. After all:

1. Religion is based on the unproven concept that here is a spiritual creator.

2. Religious institutions preach sexist, racist and homophobic beliefs contrary to the laws of mainstream society.

3. Religious institutions consistently use fear and guilt to recruit and keep its members.

Could it be that religion is a medium for some to justify their radical views?

so what we gonna do then?

Well you should give up your God would be a good start.
Maybe you can start a trend. One main religion has to start .
Because if you got a God they can have a god to.
Give up your religion. Join the no Godders and ween down the others.
Lessen others until it's almost embarrassing that you believe in it.

If I could start a new religion, I would start the religion that prohibits fornication, beer, pork, homosexuality, and atheism.
I would use also fear and guilt to recruit and keep my members.

Too late.
Been there, done that.
keithprosser
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 12:44:10 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Nonsense, show me one piece of evidence that Stalin killed millions in the name of atheism.

Sorry, W, I think the charge against Stalin has some justification.

Stalin killed millions of his own people, and at least hundreds of thousands of his victims were members of the Russian Orthodox Church, including practically all of its clergy. The killings were part of the 'great purge' of so-called "counter-revolutionary" elements that occurred around 1936-1938.

While the purge was motivated by communist revolutionary doctrine, it was the atheistic element of Communist dogma (traceable back to Marx) that led to the killing of (may be not millions but at least) tens of thousands of ordinary Russians simply because they were active church members. The best that can be said is that Stalin did not specifically target religion, but it was included in his list of targets and very many people were killed purely because they were religious.
https://en.wikipedia.org...
Willows
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 12:56:12 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 12:44:10 AM, keithprosser wrote:
Nonsense, show me one piece of evidence that Stalin killed millions in the name of atheism.

Sorry, W, I think the charge against Stalin has some justification.

Stalin killed millions of his own people, and at least hundreds of thousands of his victims were members of the Russian Orthodox Church, including practically all of its clergy. The killings were part of the 'great purge' of so-called "counter-revolutionary" elements that occurred around 1936-1938.

While the purge was motivated by communist revolutionary doctrine, it was the atheistic element of Communist dogma (traceable back to Marx) that led to the killing of (may be not millions but at least) tens of thousands of ordinary Russians simply because they were active church members. The best that can be said is that Stalin did not specifically target religion, but it was included in his list of targets and very many people were killed purely because they were religious.
https://en.wikipedia.org...

I get your point there, however we then step into the age-old argument of atheism being the neutral position.
Thus, atheism or eliminating religion can be viewed as two different motivations and I would suspect that Stalin fell into the latter.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,770
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 2:38:24 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 12:01:34 AM, Willows wrote:

Just because religion has "some" of its morals and values in common with secular society does not mean that those morals and values are the sole domain of religion. Modern secular societies make laws and judgements based on informed concensus, independant of any religious intervention.
In fact, my thread is intended to expose many religious dictums as immoral and having no value in today's society.

Response: God created humans, thus religion precedes secularism. So you didn't get some, you got ALL your morals and values from religion. Morals and values that are not bases on religion are the same values of the monkey-like ancestor you believe you evolved from. So your thread cannot expose religion when you believe you evolved from a monkey who has no civilized morals and values.
Willows
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 7:48:02 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 2:38:24 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 9/4/2016 12:01:34 AM, Willows wrote:

Just because religion has "some" of its morals and values in common with secular society does not mean that those morals and values are the sole domain of religion. Modern secular societies make laws and judgements based on informed concensus, independant of any religious intervention.
In fact, my thread is intended to expose many religious dictums as immoral and having no value in today's society.

Response: God created humans, thus religion precedes secularism. So you didn't get some, you got ALL your morals and values from religion. Morals and values that are not bases on religion are the same values of the monkey-like ancestor you believe you evolved from. So your thread cannot expose religion when you believe you evolved from a monkey who has no civilized morals and values.

Your ridiculous argument implies that everything is because of God anyway.
By the same token God makes us crap every day.
And He also makes some misguided extreme idiots spew crap out of their mouths every day.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,770
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 10:52:34 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 7:48:02 AM, Willows wrote:

Your ridiculous argument implies that everything is because of God anyway.
By the same token God makes us crap every day.
And He also makes some misguided extreme idiots spew crap out of their mouths every day.

Response: My argument is that you chose to live in this world and be tested, So whatever crap you experience is your own doing. Not God. Whereas your counter is you came from a darn monkey and try to claim that you have more civility and intellect without religion, yet we can turn to any zoo or jungle as see your relative swinging from a tree throwing their feces at each other. So clearly, a world with no religion is by far the most uncivilized society to ever live. In fact, you wouldn't live at all because you would be too stupid to know how to do anything.
Willows
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 12:05:56 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 10:52:34 AM, Fatihah wrote:
At 9/4/2016 7:48:02 AM, Willows wrote:

Your ridiculous argument implies that everything is because of God anyway.
By the same token God makes us crap every day.
And He also makes some misguided extreme idiots spew crap out of their mouths every day.

Response: My argument is that you chose to live in this world and be tested, So whatever crap you experience is your own doing. Not God. Whereas your counter is you came from a darn monkey and try to claim that you have more civility and intellect without religion, yet we can turn to any zoo or jungle as see your relative swinging from a tree throwing their feces at each other. So clearly, a world with no religion is by far the most uncivilized society to ever live. In fact, you wouldn't live at all because you would be too stupid to know how to do anything.

Therefore, we are responsible for our own morals which are of our own doing, not because of God.
Fatihah
Posts: 7,770
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 12:18:27 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 12:05:56 PM, Willows wrote:

Therefore, we are responsible for our own morals which are of our own doing, not because of God.

Response: You are responsible for you own doings. Not for what is moral.
Willows
Posts: 2,084
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 1:20:50 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 12:18:27 PM, Fatihah wrote:
At 9/4/2016 12:05:56 PM, Willows wrote:

Therefore, we are responsible for our own morals which are of our own doing, not because of God.

Response: You are responsible for you own doings. Not for what is moral.

It is society that that sets moral standards and they change as society changes for better or for worse. I can see that over the centuries moral standards have improved as has society. It is more often that I see morals that were influenced by religion are the ones that are cast aside.