Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

A Life Without Death Is Meaningless

s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 3:12:08 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
If we imagined ourselves having an infinite number of days, no single phenomenon would need our urgent attention. In fact, no single phenomenon would need our attention, at all. For, if not this second, minute, or hour, we would have endless moments at our disposal.

It is the thought of death, a cessation of life, which instills in us a sense of urgency, which impels us to action.

Death is an essential component of life. It quantifies our days thereby giving them value. For, innumerable hours have no significance, and infinite days have no worth; an infinite value is no value, at all.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 3:15:25 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 3:12:08 PM, s-anthony wrote:
If we imagined ourselves having an infinite number of days, no single phenomenon would need our urgent attention. In fact, no single phenomenon would need our attention, at all. For, if not this second, minute, or hour, we would have endless moments at our disposal.

It is the thought of death, a cessation of life, which instills in us a sense of urgency, which impels us to action.

Death is an essential component of life. It quantifies our days thereby giving them value. For, innumerable hours have no significance, and infinite days have no worth; an infinite value is no value, at all.

Indeed. Value is determined by scarcity.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
bulproof
Posts: 25,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 4:21:13 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 4:11:21 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:21:11 PM, bulproof wrote:
There is no such thing. Sorry.

Ok.
Can you show me wrong?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Casten
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 4:48:22 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Gimme a few more centuries. My life will still be precious. Honest. And I'll get to see the first colony on Mars or Titan or something. I'm gonna miss all this cool stuff in my measly eighty years and it sucks. It sucks cow farts. The worst farts of all.

Gimme like two... thr... like, five hundred more years. I bet I'll even be able to understand geo-economics by then. Okay that was a lie. I won't. Not even a basic grasp. But I'll know other stuff. Better stuff.
keithprosser
Posts: 1,983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 5:31:38 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
We are genetically programmed to value our survival, but we are faced with the fact of our morality. It's a bit tricky to know if the thead title is true, or if it reflects how we humans rationalise the inevitability of death - making a virtue of neccessity as the saying goes.

A life without death is meaningless in another sense - it is meaningless because it is not the sort of life we have. We have lives that end in death, and somehow we have to pick the bones out of reality - it's a waste of time to consider life without death, when there is no such thing.

The important question is whether a life with death is meaningless, or how to make our finite lives have meaning. It is not easy. Suppose you dedicate your life to ending global warming and you die in 2050 (say). When 2060 comes around the world - thanks to your efforts - its still habitable. Very good, but what does your 10 year old corpse get out of it?

Your 10 year-dead corpse (the little of it which remains) isn't going to be happy or sad about anything in 2060. It won't know or care if the world is still going on. If the workd had gone up in flames in 2055 or entered a golden age it wouldn't make any difference to your dead body.

In short, why should we care what happens when we are dead? There is a biology-based pseudo-reason. Mant of us will have passed on genes and we are programmed to have at least some consideration for the fate of our offspring. But again it doesn't matter to your corpse if you have children or not - nothing matters to a corpse.

So I think we need to ask where and how do we get value for a life with death because that is a problem we do have. The OP is about a problem we don't have and can never have.
uncung
Posts: 3,451
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 5:56:29 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 3:12:08 PM, s-anthony wrote:
If we imagined ourselves having an infinite number of days, no single phenomenon would need our urgent attention. In fact, no single phenomenon would need our attention, at all. For, if not this second, minute, or hour, we would have endless moments at our disposal.

It is the thought of death, a cessation of life, which instills in us a sense of urgency, which impels us to action.

Death is an essential component of life. It quantifies our days thereby giving them value. For, innumerable hours have no significance, and infinite days have no worth; an infinite value is no value, at all.

but wondering, people keep objecting to the killing others in the name of religion yet everyone will die eventually.
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 10:43:55 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 4:21:13 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/3/2016 4:11:21 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:21:11 PM, bulproof wrote:
There is no such thing. Sorry.

Ok.
Can you show me wrong?

Can you show me a world without it?
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:10:42 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Gimme a few more centuries. My life will still be precious. Honest. And I'll get to see the first colony on Mars or Titan or something. I'm gonna miss all this cool stuff in my measly eighty years and it sucks. It sucks cow farts. The worst farts of all.

Gimme like two... thr... like, five hundred more years. I bet I'll even be able to understand geo-economics by then. Okay that was a lie. I won't. Not even a basic grasp. But I'll know other stuff. Better stuff.

As you age, things which interest you, now, will lose meaning. A healthy life begins to draw itself inward, preparing itself for death. It is not the individual who leaves kicking and screaming with unresolved issues who parts this life gracefully and at peace.
dee-em
Posts: 6,469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:21:47 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 3:12:08 PM, s-anthony wrote:
If we imagined ourselves having an infinite number of days, no single phenomenon would need our urgent attention. In fact, no single phenomenon would need our attention, at all. For, if not this second, minute, or hour, we would have endless moments at our disposal.

It is the thought of death, a cessation of life, which instills in us a sense of urgency, which impels us to action.

Death is an essential component of life. It quantifies our days thereby giving them value. For, innumerable hours have no significance, and infinite days have no worth; an infinite value is no value, at all.

So God's existence is meaningless?
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 2:18:54 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 5:31:38 PM, keithprosser wrote:
We are genetically programmed to value our survival, but we are faced with the fact of our morality. It's a bit tricky to know if the thead title is true, or if it reflects how we humans rationalise the inevitability of death - making a virtue of neccessity as the saying goes.

A life without death is meaningless in another sense - it is meaningless because it is not the sort of life we have. We have lives that end in death, and somehow we have to pick the bones out of reality - it's a waste of time to consider life without death, when there is no such thing.

The important question is whether a life with death is meaningless, or how to make our finite lives have meaning. It is not easy. Suppose you dedicate your life to ending global warming and you die in 2050 (say). When 2060 comes around the world - thanks to your efforts - its still habitable. Very good, but what does your 10 year old corpse get out of it?

Your 10 year-dead corpse (the little of it which remains) isn't going to be happy or sad about anything in 2060. It won't know or care if the world is still going on. If the workd had gone up in flames in 2055 or entered a golden age it wouldn't make any difference to your dead body.

In short, why should we care what happens when we are dead? There is a biology-based pseudo-reason. Mant of us will have passed on genes and we are programmed to have at least some consideration for the fate of our offspring. But again it doesn't matter to your corpse if you have children or not - nothing matters to a corpse.

So I think we need to ask where and how do we get value for a life with death because that is a problem we do have. The OP is about a problem we don't have and can never have.

I believe value comes from our imaginations, and as long as our imaginations exist, so will value.
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 2:22:59 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 11:21:47 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:12:08 PM, s-anthony wrote:
If we imagined ourselves having an infinite number of days, no single phenomenon would need our urgent attention. In fact, no single phenomenon would need our attention, at all. For, if not this second, minute, or hour, we would have endless moments at our disposal.

It is the thought of death, a cessation of life, which instills in us a sense of urgency, which impels us to action.

Death is an essential component of life. It quantifies our days thereby giving them value. For, innumerable hours have no significance, and infinite days have no worth; an infinite value is no value, at all.

So God's existence is meaningless?

To God, it is.
imperialchimp
Posts: 234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 2:24:42 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 3:12:08 PM, s-anthony wrote:
If we imagined ourselves having an infinite number of days, no single phenomenon would need our urgent attention. In fact, no single phenomenon would need our attention, at all. For, if not this second, minute, or hour, we would have endless moments at our disposal.

It is the thought of death, a cessation of life, which instills in us a sense of urgency, which impels us to action.

Death is an essential component of life. It quantifies our days thereby giving them value. For, innumerable hours have no significance, and infinite days have no worth; an infinite value is no value, at all.

Meaning is subjective.
Ape Lives Matter (ALM)

What if I were to tell you that humans have false logic? Prepare for confusion.

-.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-
dee-em
Posts: 6,469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 2:28:43 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 2:22:59 AM, s-anthony wrote:
At 9/3/2016 11:21:47 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:12:08 PM, s-anthony wrote:
If we imagined ourselves having an infinite number of days, no single phenomenon would need our urgent attention. In fact, no single phenomenon would need our attention, at all. For, if not this second, minute, or hour, we would have endless moments at our disposal.

It is the thought of death, a cessation of life, which instills in us a sense of urgency, which impels us to action.

Death is an essential component of life. It quantifies our days thereby giving them value. For, innumerable hours have no significance, and infinite days have no worth; an infinite value is no value, at all.

So God's existence is meaningless?

To God, it is.

Lol. Not good news for God. I've always maintained that the combination of omniscience and immortality can only lead to insanity.

I wonder. Is it possible for an omnipotent god to overturn his own immortality?
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 11:30:13 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 2:24:42 AM, imperialchimp wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:12:08 PM, s-anthony wrote:
If we imagined ourselves having an infinite number of days, no single phenomenon would need our urgent attention. In fact, no single phenomenon would need our attention, at all. For, if not this second, minute, or hour, we would have endless moments at our disposal.

It is the thought of death, a cessation of life, which instills in us a sense of urgency, which impels us to action.

Death is an essential component of life. It quantifies our days thereby giving them value. For, innumerable hours have no significance, and infinite days have no worth; an infinite value is no value, at all.

Meaning is subjective.

I agree.
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 11:32:56 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 2:28:43 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/4/2016 2:22:59 AM, s-anthony wrote:
At 9/3/2016 11:21:47 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:12:08 PM, s-anthony wrote:
If we imagined ourselves having an infinite number of days, no single phenomenon would need our urgent attention. In fact, no single phenomenon would need our attention, at all. For, if not this second, minute, or hour, we would have endless moments at our disposal.

It is the thought of death, a cessation of life, which instills in us a sense of urgency, which impels us to action.

Death is an essential component of life. It quantifies our days thereby giving them value. For, innumerable hours have no significance, and infinite days have no worth; an infinite value is no value, at all.

So God's existence is meaningless?

To God, it is.

Lol. Not good news for God. I've always maintained that the combination of omniscience and immortality can only lead to insanity.

I wonder. Is it possible for an omnipotent god to overturn his own immortality?

Not if that omnipotent god is also immutable.
dee-em
Posts: 6,469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 1:18:32 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 11:32:56 AM, s-anthony wrote:
At 9/4/2016 2:28:43 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/4/2016 2:22:59 AM, s-anthony wrote:
At 9/3/2016 11:21:47 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/3/2016 3:12:08 PM, s-anthony wrote:
If we imagined ourselves having an infinite number of days, no single phenomenon would need our urgent attention. In fact, no single phenomenon would need our attention, at all. For, if not this second, minute, or hour, we would have endless moments at our disposal.

It is the thought of death, a cessation of life, which instills in us a sense of urgency, which impels us to action.

Death is an essential component of life. It quantifies our days thereby giving them value. For, innumerable hours have no significance, and infinite days have no worth; an infinite value is no value, at all.

So God's existence is meaningless?

To God, it is.

Lol. Not good news for God. I've always maintained that the combination of omniscience and immortality can only lead to insanity.

I wonder. Is it possible for an omnipotent god to overturn his own immortality?

Not if that omnipotent god is also immutable.

Then he isn't really omnipotent.
bulproof
Posts: 25,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 1:37:37 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Life doesn't exist without death, only the deluded godbotherers believe otherwise.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 1:46:11 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/4/2016 1:37:37 PM, bulproof wrote:
Life doesn't exist without death, only the deluded godbotherers believe otherwise.

I know no one who doesn't believe in death.
12_13
Posts: 1,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 3:24:56 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 3:12:08 PM, s-anthony wrote:
Death is an essential component of life. It quantifies our days thereby giving them value. For, innumerable hours have no significance, and infinite days have no worth; an infinite value is no value, at all.

I disagree with that. If you really appreciate things in life, time or end has no meaning in that. Time itself is only illusion that somehow describes things that have happened. When you live in moment, all that is irrelevant.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 3:39:02 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 3:12:08 PM, s-anthony wrote:
If we imagined ourselves having an infinite number of days, no single phenomenon would need our urgent attention. In fact, no single phenomenon would need our attention, at all. For, if not this second, minute, or hour, we would have endless moments at our disposal.

It is the thought of death, a cessation of life, which instills in us a sense of urgency, which impels us to action.

Death is an essential component of life. It quantifies our days thereby giving them value. For, innumerable hours have no significance, and infinite days have no worth; an infinite value is no value, at all.

In fact life with death is the meaningless one.

Death means we do not have sufficient time to truly understand the planet we live on.

Death means that we can never gain enough experience of life to overcome the errors we make along the way.

Death removes the continuity of experience gained.

Death curtails our ability to enjoy the amazing variety of humanity.

Death prevents us from experiencing so many things that only the eternal life we were originally designed to enjoy.

Death makes it impossible to ever meet and enjoy the company of every human being on this planet.

No death prevents many tings we should have the right to enjoy, and actually removes the eternal purpose for wich we were created.
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 1:23:02 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I disagree with that. If you really appreciate things in life, time or end has no meaning in that.

So, would this mean the final hours of a loved one's life are no different to you than the first ones?
12_13
Posts: 1,361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 5:45:10 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/5/2016 1:23:02 AM, s-anthony wrote:
I disagree with that. If you really appreciate things in life, time or end has no meaning in that.

So, would this mean the final hours of a loved one's life are no different to you than the first ones?

I think they are as valuable and meaningful.
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 6:47:06 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I think they are as valuable and meaningful.

So, does that mean you would spend no more time with a dying loved one than you did at times in which he, or she, was healthy?