Jump to topic:

Mother Teresa made a saint!

tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 10:06:02 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Ye gods that ghastly woman was no sort of saint! She would sooner see people suffer than allow them to have pain relief! I met someone years ago who had worked with her, they didn't think much of her!
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 10:16:03 AM
At 9/4/2016 10:06:02 AM, tarantula wrote:
Ye gods that ghastly woman was no sort of saint! She would sooner see people suffer than allow them to have pain relief! I met someone years ago who had worked with her, they didn't think much of her!

Now that's all a bit unfair. She ensured that millions went on an early journey to join their creator, by telling them it was sinful to use birth control. Those people would still be alive, and very possibly hungry, if it weren't for her.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 3:37:26 PM

The Catholics and their ludicrous system of saints. She actually lost her faith for a good part of her life. Still a saint though!
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 4:30:39 PM

I'm not sure what kind of pain relief you claim she denied them, but having said that, God bless Saint Theresa of Calcutta! Her willingness to serve the poor is an inspiration to billions!

St. Theresa of Calcutta, pray for us!
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 5:04:56 PM

Who is the Catholic church to take on the position of naming saints? They more than likely made up the whole Saint category. I would think that the Creator doesn't have designations or favourites. The catholic church does not speak for God. Having said that, yes, most people who work in the poverty industry have no desire to see people move out of it because it would make their work obsolete. They need poor people so they can feel a sense of being needed.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 5:07:06 PM

,,, more Catholic idiocy.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Durbodh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 5:28:24 PM
At 9/4/2016 4:30:39 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

I'm not sure what kind of pain relief you claim she denied them, but having said that, God bless Saint Theresa of Calcutta! Her willingness to serve the poor is an inspiration to billions!

44 years of your life.. what were you doing?
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 6:02:12 PM
At 9/4/2016 5:28:24 PM, Durbodh wrote:

44 years of your life.. what were you doing?

I'm not sure exactly what you asking. Could you clarify what my age has to do with anything?
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 6:09:23 PM
At 9/4/2016 5:04:56 PM, lotsoffun wrote:

Who is the Catholic church to take on the position of naming saints?

They don't really name them as much as recognize them.

They more than likely made up the whole Saint category.

Nope. The Bible did:

13 But Ananias answered, "Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem.

I would think that the Creator doesn't have designations or favourites.

A saint is simply a follower of Jesus. Certainly God designates believers and unbelievers.

The catholic church does not speak for God.

I would disagree.

Having said that, yes, most people who work in the poverty industry have no desire to see people move out of it because it would make their work obsolete. They need poor people so they can feel a sense of being needed.

The nation of India is in no danger of running out of poor people. Mother Theresa couldn't solve the problem regardless of what she did
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 7:00:34 PM
At 9/4/2016 6:09:23 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

Nonsense. and just who does God speak to to tell them who to name as a saint?

Nope. The Bible did:

13 But Ananias answered, "Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem.

Ok, I'll give you that one.

A saint is simply a follower of Jesus. Certainly God designates believers and unbelievers.

So, you are a saint are you? A person does not have to follow Jesus to believe in God. God sent the Buddha and Krishna as well. There is a universe most likely teaming with intelligent life that God created. He probably didn't send Jesus to them.

I would disagree.

That's ok. That's what you believe. It's only a belief. I am not a Catholic, nor am I religious. I have my own relationship with God. I don't need a man made institution to speak to god for me. It doesn't matter what you answer to this. I stand by it and won't care what you say. It is meaningless to me. On the other points, go ahead and have your say.

Having said that, yes, most people who work in the poverty industry have no desire to see people move out of it because it would make their work obsolete. They need poor people so they can feel a sense of being needed.

The nation of India is in no danger of running out of poor people. Mother Theresa couldn't solve the problem regardless of what she did

Of course, but I stand by my statement, although it probably applies more to the wealthier nations and the poverty industry. If the world's governments cared enpough and got together, we could solve the world's poverty and hunger problems in short order. By the way, I don't have anything against Mother Teresa, but I don't care for or respect the Catholic church.
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 7:28:03 PM
At 9/4/2016 7:00:34 PM, lotsoffun wrote:

It's based upon , in part, evidence of her intercession in cases of miracles. This allows the Church to recognize she must be in Heaven, and as such, a Saint.

Nope. The Bible did:

So, you are a saint are you?

Yes.

A person does not have to follow Jesus to believe in God.

You do in order to believe in God correctly.

God sent the Buddha and Krishna as well.

False

There is a universe most likely teaming with intelligent life that God created.

Intelligence is irrelevant to this discussion.

He probably didn't send Jesus to them.

I would disagree.

That's ok. That's what you believe. It's only a belief. I am not a Catholic, nor am I religious. I have my own relationship with God. I don't need a man made institution to speak to god for me. It doesn't matter what you answer to this. I stand by it and won't care what you say. It is meaningless to me. On the other points, go ahead and have your say.

Of course, but I stand by my statement, although it probably applies more to the wealthier nations and the poverty industry. If the world's governments cared enpough and got together, we could solve the world's poverty and hunger problems in short order. By the way, I don't have anything against Mother Teresa, but I don't care for or respect the Catholic church.

Fair enough
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 7:52:07 PM
At 9/4/2016 7:28:03 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

It's based upon , in part, evidence of her intercession in cases of miracles. This allows the Church to recognize she must be in Heaven, and as such, a Saint.

In my opinion, the Catholic church has no authority to decide who is or isn't in heaven.

Nope. The Bible did:

Yes.
Then, in your opinion, all Christians (devout) are saints.

Not true.

False

True

They were great teacher souls as was Jesus. I have great admiration for Jesus, but he was no more the son of God than you or I.

I would disagree.

Fair enough
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 12:18:13 AM

You and your religion ignore your own holy book.

Leviticus 26:1

'You shall not make for yourselves idols, nor shall you set up for yourselves an image or a sacred pillar, nor shall you place a figured stone in your land to bow down to it; for I am the LORD your God.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 12:28:40 AM

She didn't help the poor, she helped her image and friends.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 7:33:09 AM
MT thought suffering was good for the mythical 'soul'! Anyone of that sort of mind set is very SICK!
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 8:46:50 AM
At 9/4/2016 7:52:07 PM, lotsoffun wrote:
At 9/4/2016 7:28:03 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:

In my opinion, the Catholic church has no authority to decide who is or isn't in heaven.

Again, it not so much deciding as it is recognising.

Nope. The Bible did:

Yes.
Then, in your opinion, all Christians (devout) are saints.

Yes.

Not true.

True.

False

True
False.

They were great teacher souls as was Jesus. I have great admiration for Jesus, but he was no more the son of God than you or I.

Explain, please.

I would disagree.

Fair enough
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 8:54:12 AM
At 9/5/2016 12:18:13 AM, Chloe8 wrote:

You and your religion ignore your own holy book.

Leviticus 26:1

'You shall not make for yourselves idols, nor shall you set up for yourselves an image or a sacred pillar, nor shall you place a figured stone in your land to bow down to it; for I am the LORD your God.

First, I don't see how this is relevant to the discussion about Saint Teresa of Calcutta. Second, God's command to His Old Testament people was given because they had a habit of worshipping statues. It's not because building statues is inherently evil, or even that God has a problem with religious statuary. So, since we don't worship statues, Catholics aren't violating anything.
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 8:55:19 AM
At 9/5/2016 12:28:40 AM, SNP1 wrote:

She comforted millions of them.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 9:23:58 AM
At 9/5/2016 8:55:19 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:

Some comfort!
Z_ONE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 9:45:35 AM
Ye gods that ghastly woman was no sort of saint! She would sooner see people suffer than allow them to have pain relief! I met someone years ago who had worked with her, they didn't think much of her! : :

A Catholic's perspective of a saint is not at all like God's perspective of a saint but Christians don't understand that.
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 10:41:37 AM
At 9/5/2016 9:23:58 AM, tarantula wrote:
At 9/5/2016 8:55:19 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:

Some comfort!

Indeed!
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 10:45:10 AM
At 9/5/2016 9:45:35 AM, Z_ONE wrote:
Ye gods that ghastly woman was no sort of saint! She would sooner see people suffer than allow them to have pain relief! I met someone years ago who had worked with her, they didn't think much of her! : :

A Catholic's perspective of a saint is not at all like God's perspective of a saint but Christians don't understand that.

That's not accurate.
Z_ONE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 11:17:47 AM
At 9/5/2016 10:45:10 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:

That's not accurate. : :

What is your perspective of a saint?
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 12:20:12 PM
I don't think anyone deserves the title 'saint', we are all human with faults and failings. Besides which, I think living with a 'saint' would be very creepy. We should all strive to be good enough, not perfect.
Z_ONE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 12:26:22 PM
At 9/5/2016 12:20:12 PM, tarantula wrote:
I don't think anyone deserves the title 'saint', we are all human with faults and failings. Besides which, I think living with a 'saint' would be very creepy. We should all strive to be good enough, not perfect. : :

Only the saints know the difference between the inhabitants on Earth and how they were formed from God's creation.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 1:33:34 PM
At 9/5/2016 12:26:22 PM, Z_ONE wrote:
I don't think anyone deserves the title 'saint', we are all human with faults and failings. Besides which, I think living with a 'saint' would be very creepy. We should all strive to be good enough, not perfect. : :

Only the saints know the difference between the inhabitants on Earth and how they were formed from God's creation.

BoG you are no saint that is for sure!
Z_ONE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 1:42:23 PM
At 9/5/2016 1:33:34 PM, tarantula wrote:
At 9/5/2016 12:26:22 PM, Z_ONE wrote:

BoG you are no saint that is for sure! : :

You have no way of knowing what is or isn't a saint.
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 1:58:34 PM
At 9/5/2016 11:17:47 AM, Z_ONE wrote:

Devout Christians.
Z_ONE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 2:00:41 PM
At 9/5/2016 1:58:34 PM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 9/5/2016 11:17:47 AM, Z_ONE wrote:

Devout Christians. : :

Devout Christians are the opposite of a saint.