Jump to topic:

Is Catholicism Moving On?

Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 10:20:01 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I saw a very interesting interview of a Catholic priest today commenting on the canonisation of Mother Theresa.
He had the usual priestly feigned look of jovialness on his face but what he said struck me as interesting.
He said that miracles were something that are no longer believed nowadays except by those in less developed countries and that God does not tend to intervene with "natural occurrances".

Is he being typically arrogant by suggesting that catholics in less developed countries are so superstitious and dumb that they will believe in miracles?

Is it a sign that the Catholic church is conceding that miracles are nothing more than wishful thinking?
Winker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 10:48:35 AM
At 9/6/2016 10:20:01 AM, Willows wrote:
I saw a very interesting interview of a Catholic priest today commenting on the canonisation of Mother Theresa.
He had the usual priestly feigned look of jovialness on his face but what he said struck me as interesting.
He said that miracles were something that are no longer believed nowadays except by those in less developed countries and that God does not tend to intervene with "natural occurrances".

Is he being typically arrogant by suggesting that catholics in less developed countries are so superstitious and dumb that they will believe in miracles?

Is it a sign that the Catholic church is conceding that miracles are nothing more than wishful thinking? : :

It means the fool you talked to doesn't know what's going on. He will remain a fool until he's dead.
zaarbuc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 10:57:45 AM
He said that miracles were something that are no longer believed nowadays except by those in less developed countries and that God does not tend to intervene with "natural occurrences".

Is he being typically arrogant by suggesting that Catholics in less developed countries are so superstitious and dumb that they will believe in miracles?

Is it a sign that the Catholic church is conceding that miracles are nothing more than wishful thinking?

There is a great video on youtube of Richard Dawkins interviewing a Catholic priest who was formally very high up in the Vatican by they name of Coyne. I highly recommend you watch it.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 12:36:10 PM
At 9/6/2016 10:48:35 AM, Winker wrote:

Is it a sign that the Catholic church is conceding that miracles are nothing more than wishful thinking? : :

It means the fool you talked to doesn't know what's going on. He will remain a fool until he's dead.

I didn't talk to him, it was an interview on TV.
And you are right, he is a Catholic bishop.
one2one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 1:19:38 PM

Who ever this priest is he may need to reconsider his position. The Church goes to great lengths to authenticate each miracle.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 1:21:35 PM
At 9/6/2016 10:57:45 AM, zaarbuc wrote:
He said that miracles were something that are no longer believed nowadays except by those in less developed countries and that God does not tend to intervene with "natural occurrences".

Is he being typically arrogant by suggesting that Catholics in less developed countries are so superstitious and dumb that they will believe in miracles?

There is a great video on youtube of Richard Dawkins interviewing a Catholic priest who was formally very high up in the Vatican by they name of Coyne. I highly recommend you watch it.
Yes, very interesting. He is a man who certainly chooses his words...."evolution is the best scientific explanation". He pretty well danced around the crucial questions of providing evidence of "beyond science" and was completely jumbled in skirting around the explanation of how God communicated to the authors of the bible.

To the masses of his followers his words sounded reassuring that science explains material things and not the realm beyond. But as an outsider his answers were completely evasive.
https://youtu.be...
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 1:42:36 PM
At 9/6/2016 1:19:38 PM, one2one wrote:

Who ever this priest is he may need to reconsider his position. The Church goes to great lengths to authenticate each miracle.

Nonsense.
The Vatican gets anecdotal witness accounts and two medical certifications that the patient in each case recovered. These documents by the way are kept in private and not revealed to the public.

That in no way proves that the patient was "healed" supernaturally. It simply confirms that someone had cancer and is in remission which happens irrespective of whether it was "prayed for".

What about the many thousands of suffering people who pray and die anyway?
And what about the thousands of atheist sufferers who are told the bad news only to come into remission.

Have you ever wondered why "miracle cures" always so happen to be illnesses, especially cancer that, by their very nature can correct themselves.

I have yet to see the miracle of a severed head being placed back on a body and brought to life or a mangled limb heeled.

Miracles are a complete sham and cruel to hapless individuals around the world who are led to pray for a cure instead of seeking proper medical treatment.