Total Posts:36|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

To theists

Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 2:13:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
You are out for a walk one day and a man (or woman if you prefer) runs up to you and has a nervous breakdown in front of you. They explain that they are an atheist, (for whatever reason) but they hate atheism (again for whatever reason, maybe it's fear of death or the fact that they have to microwave puppies, who knows).

They beg you to convert them. They listen with open ears, an open heart, and a mind though it has an opposing view is willing to change.

An invisible angel of the Lord (well only you see it) appears and says, "you better give it your best shot matey, if you do it then you are assured your place in heaven, if you fail you are of to hell".

What do you say?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
the-good-teacher
Posts: 444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 5:43:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 2:13:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
You are out for a walk one day and a man (or woman if you prefer) runs up to you and has a nervous breakdown in front of you. They explain that they are an atheist, (for whatever reason) but they hate atheism (again for whatever reason, maybe it's fear of death or the fact that they have to microwave puppies, who knows).

They beg you to convert them. They listen with open ears, an open heart, and a mind though it has an opposing view is willing to change.

An invisible angel of the Lord (well only you see it) appears and says, "you better give it your best shot matey, if you do it then you are assured your place in heaven, if you fail you are of to hell".

What do you say?

Christians do not and cannot convert anyone, this is done by the spirit through revelation.
We are not in the position where we were able to "save ourselves" (or each other).

So in answer to your question, I would say, "what a weird dream".
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:16:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Anyone?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:24:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What do you say?:

Give it a shot, I guess.

That was a very strange set of of hypotheticals so it's contingent upon the point where I assuredly converse with an angel.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:27:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 1:24:39 PM, Mirza wrote:
This can't happen according to my religion, so I skip.

Same.

If that happened I would know that this is not a spirit who is speaking for God.
kfc
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:35:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 1:24:39 PM, Mirza wrote:
This can't happen according to my religion, so I skip.

Dishonest and cowardly, I shall now reference you as an atheist.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:36:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 1:27:06 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 1/8/2011 1:24:39 PM, Mirza wrote:
This can't happen according to my religion, so I skip.

Same.

If that happened I would know that this is not a spirit who is speaking for God.

This is a thread for theists. I don't need to talk to fellow atheists.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:37:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 1:36:59 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/8/2011 1:27:06 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 1/8/2011 1:24:39 PM, Mirza wrote:
This can't happen according to my religion, so I skip.

Same.

If that happened I would know that this is not a spirit who is speaking for God.

This is a thread for theists. I don't need to talk to fellow atheists.

Read the bible...
kfc
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:38:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 1:35:40 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/8/2011 1:24:39 PM, Mirza wrote:
This can't happen according to my religion, so I skip.

Dishonest and cowardly, I shall now reference you as an atheist.
And I shall ask you to deal with personal problems in another way than to make a thread that doesn't address all theists so you can satisfy whatever thoughts you have.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:39:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 1:38:17 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 1/8/2011 1:35:40 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/8/2011 1:24:39 PM, Mirza wrote:
This can't happen according to my religion, so I skip.

Dishonest and cowardly, I shall now reference you as an atheist.
And I shall ask you to deal with personal problems in another way than to make a thread that doesn't address all theists so you can satisfy whatever thoughts you have.

This.

I am shocked Cerebral_Narcissist doesn't know that Christians can't work their way to heaven.
kfc
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:43:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 1:38:17 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 1/8/2011 1:35:40 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/8/2011 1:24:39 PM, Mirza wrote:
This can't happen according to my religion, so I skip.

Dishonest and cowardly, I shall now reference you as an atheist.
And I shall ask you to deal with personal problems in another way than to make a thread that doesn't address all theists so you can satisfy whatever thoughts you have.

This is the religious section of a debate site. I have asked a question pertaining to theists. You are an atheist, get of this thread.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:48:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 1:43:01 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
This is the religious section of a debate site.
Yes, and we have a new category called "Personal."

I have asked a question pertaining to theists. You are an atheist, get of this thread.
And I, a Muslim (hereby theist), have given my view on your question. Your issues don't affect my belief in Allah, is that clear? And your personal problems are to be dealt with another way than to call someone an atheist because he tells you that your question has no way of becoming a reality according to his religion.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:54:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 1:39:27 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 1/8/2011 1:38:17 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 1/8/2011 1:35:40 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/8/2011 1:24:39 PM, Mirza wrote:
This can't happen according to my religion, so I skip.

Dishonest and cowardly, I shall now reference you as an atheist.
And I shall ask you to deal with personal problems in another way than to make a thread that doesn't address all theists so you can satisfy whatever thoughts you have.

This.

I am shocked Cerebral_Narcissist doesn't know that Christians can't work their way to heaven.

1: This claim is irrelevant to the thread.
2: This claim is not held by all Christians.
3: Mirza claims to be a Muslim.

You fail.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:54:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 2:13:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
You are out for a walk one day and a man (or woman if you prefer) runs up to you and has a nervous breakdown in front of you. They explain that they are an atheist, (for whatever reason) but they hate atheism (again for whatever reason, maybe it's fear of death or the fact that they have to microwave puppies, who knows).

They beg you to convert them. They listen with open ears, an open heart, and a mind though it has an opposing view is willing to change.

An invisible angel of the Lord (well only you see it) appears and says, "you better give it your best shot matey, if you do it then you are assured your place in heaven, if you fail you are of to hell".

What do you say?

Me:
It makes no sense to whom ? You ? I say that it makes sense to me and many, many other Christians around the world. Now, Christianity promises a God who would die for you in the most painful way, eternal heaven and a fulfilled purpose. I can't convert you nor can I prove any aspect of it on the dot but if my religion promises so much and your belief promises nothing, what is there to hold you back from "converting" for lets say a month ? Yes, you have your reasons but not only do your reasons come from your world view but you will also have a better understanding of our thinking. So in conclusion how much does a month of your time (which I promise you will enjoy even if you don't convert) cost ?

That would be my first reaction.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:56:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 1:48:31 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 1/8/2011 1:43:01 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
This is the religious section of a debate site.
Yes, and we have a new category called "Personal."

I have asked a question pertaining to theists. You are an atheist, get of this thread.
And I, a Muslim (hereby theist), have given my view on your question. Your issues don't affect my belief in Allah, is that clear? And your personal problems are to be dealt with another way than to call someone an atheist because he tells you that your question has no way of becoming a reality according to his religion.

You are trolling me due to the conflict between what you know to be true (atheism) and what you desire to be true (Allah). This is of no concern to me. You will address the original post, or ignore it. I am not your therapist.

Only rely if you have a VALID point to make.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:56:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 1:54:32 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 1/8/2011 2:13:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
You are out for a walk one day and a man (or woman if you prefer) runs up to you and has a nervous breakdown in front of you. They explain that they are an atheist, (for whatever reason) but they hate atheism (again for whatever reason, maybe it's fear of death or the fact that they have to microwave puppies, who knows).

They beg you to convert them. They listen with open ears, an open heart, and a mind though it has an opposing view is willing to change.

An invisible angel of the Lord (well only you see it) appears and says, "you better give it your best shot matey, if you do it then you are assured your place in heaven, if you fail you are of to hell".

What do you say?

Me:
It makes no sense to whom ? You ? I say that it makes sense to me and many, many other Christians around the world. Now, Christianity promises a God who would die for you in the most painful way, eternal heaven and a fulfilled purpose. I can't convert you nor can I prove any aspect of it on the dot but if my religion promises so much and your belief promises nothing, what is there to hold you back from "converting" for lets say a month ? Yes, you have your reasons but not only do your reasons come from your world view but you will also have a better understanding of our thinking. So in conclusion how much does a month of your time (which I promise you will enjoy even if you don't convert) cost ?


That would be my first reaction.

"That would be my first reaction" I wrote the above unprepared and in the first try, granted, I checked for spelling errors and I did add few modicum debates but this is exactly what I would say.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:58:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"That would be my first reaction" I wrote the above unprepared and in the first try, granted, I checked for spelling errors and I did add few modicum debates but this is exactly what I would say.

"debates " Details ... Sorry Im tired :D
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:58:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 2:13:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
You are out for a walk one day and a man (or woman if you prefer) runs up to you and has a nervous breakdown in front of you. They explain that they are an atheist, (for whatever reason) but they hate atheism (again for whatever reason, maybe it's fear of death or the fact that they have to microwave puppies, who knows).

They beg you to convert them. They listen with open ears, an open heart, and a mind though it has an opposing view is willing to change.

An invisible angel of the Lord (well only you see it) appears and says, "you better give it your best shot matey, if you do it then you are assured your place in heaven, if you fail you are of to hell".

What do you say?

Ask the angel for some ID.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 2:00:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 1:56:07 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
You are trolling me due to the conflict between what you know to be true (atheism) and what you desire to be true (Allah). This is of no concern to me. You will address the original post, or ignore it. I am not your therapist.

Only rely if you have a VALID point to make.
Such nonsense. Please waste your own time and spare mine, thank you very much.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 2:02:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
And now let's play your game and see who'll last longer.

At 1/8/2011 1:56:07 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
You are trolling me due to the conflict between what you know to be true (atheism) and what you desire to be true (Allah).
Let's take the classic road: prove it.

This is of no concern to me.
Then I suggest not clicking "Reply" to me and writing that I am an atheist, thank you very much.
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 2:04:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 2:02:08 PM, Mirza wrote:
And now let's play your game and see who'll last longer.

At 1/8/2011 1:56:07 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
You are trolling me due to the conflict between what you know to be true (atheism) and what you desire to be true (Allah).
Let's take the classic road: prove it.

This is of no concern to me.
Then I suggest not clicking "Reply" to me and writing that I am an atheist, thank you very much.

Hatred
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 2:05:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 2:04:46 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 1/8/2011 2:02:08 PM, Mirza wrote:
And now let's play your game and see who'll last longer.

At 1/8/2011 1:56:07 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
You are trolling me due to the conflict between what you know to be true (atheism) and what you desire to be true (Allah).
Let's take the classic road: prove it.

This is of no concern to me.
Then I suggest not clicking "Reply" to me and writing that I am an atheist, thank you very much.

Hatred
What hatred?
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 2:11:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 2:05:08 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 1/8/2011 2:04:46 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 1/8/2011 2:02:08 PM, Mirza wrote:
And now let's play your game and see who'll last longer.

At 1/8/2011 1:56:07 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
You are trolling me due to the conflict between what you know to be true (atheism) and what you desire to be true (Allah).
Let's take the classic road: prove it.

This is of no concern to me.
Then I suggest not clicking "Reply" to me and writing that I am an atheist, thank you very much.

Hatred
What hatred?

Eh don't mind me but in my world you'd be accused of cursing anyhow please go along with the flow.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 2:23:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 2:11:02 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 1/8/2011 2:05:08 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 1/8/2011 2:04:46 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 1/8/2011 2:02:08 PM, Mirza wrote:
And now let's play your game and see who'll last longer.

At 1/8/2011 1:56:07 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
You are trolling me due to the conflict between what you know to be true (atheism) and what you desire to be true (Allah).
Let's take the classic road: prove it.

This is of no concern to me.
Then I suggest not clicking "Reply" to me and writing that I am an atheist, thank you very much.

Hatred
What hatred?

Eh don't mind me but in my world you'd be accused of cursing anyhow please go along with the flow.
There's no correlation between "thank you very much" and cursing. What you are talking about is nonsensical.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 2:53:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 1:54:12 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

1: This claim is irrelevant to the thread.
2: This claim is not held by all Christians.

Oh, forgive me. I thought you were basing your question from people who base their faith on the bible.

Next time, maybe you could specifically ask for people who call themselves Christians but don't follow the bible. ;)

We are not saved by our works.
kfc
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 4:06:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 2:13:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
You are out for a walk one day and a man (or woman if you prefer) runs up to you and has a nervous breakdown in front of you. They explain that they are an atheist, (for whatever reason) but they hate atheism (again for whatever reason, maybe it's fear of death or the fact that they have to microwave puppies, who knows).

They beg you to convert them. They listen with open ears, an open heart, and a mind though it has an opposing view is willing to change.

An invisible angel of the Lord (well only you see it) appears and says, "you better give it your best shot matey, if you do it then you are assured your place in heaven, if you fail you are of to hell".

What do you say?

I would point out to them how elegantly designed Richard Dawkins is. --->
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 5:06:49 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 2:13:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
You are out for a walk one day and a man (or woman if you prefer) runs up to you and has a nervous breakdown in front of you. They explain that they are an atheist, (for whatever reason) but they hate atheism (again for whatever reason, maybe it's fear of death or the fact that they have to microwave puppies, who knows).

They beg you to convert them. They listen with open ears, an open heart, and a mind though it has an opposing view is willing to change.

An invisible angel of the Lord (well only you see it) appears and says, "you better give it your best shot matey, if you do it then you are assured your place in heaven, if you fail you are of to hell".

What do you say?

"2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity" - works for millions every day.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 5:12:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/8/2011 2:53:27 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 1/8/2011 1:54:12 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

1: This claim is irrelevant to the thread.
2: This claim is not held by all Christians.


Oh, forgive me. I thought you were basing your question from people who base their faith on the bible.

Next time, maybe you could specifically ask for people who call themselves Christians but don't follow the bible. ;)

We are not saved by our works.

Can you please make your mind up please. Either Christians are saved by their works or they are not. So far you have argued both.

And both opinions are expressed in the spectrum of Christianity, as you pretend to follow that social club you might want to consider some research on it.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 3:36:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/9/2011 5:12:32 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/8/2011 2:53:27 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 1/8/2011 1:54:12 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

1: This claim is irrelevant to the thread.
2: This claim is not held by all Christians.


Oh, forgive me. I thought you were basing your question from people who base their faith on the bible.

Next time, maybe you could specifically ask for people who call themselves Christians but don't follow the bible. ;)

We are not saved by our works.

Can you please make your mind up please. Either Christians are saved by their works or they are not. So far you have argued both.

And both opinions are expressed in the spectrum of Christianity, as you pretend to follow that social club you might want to consider some research on it.

Its complicated, ultimately no but... Its just not that simple
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ