Total Posts:56|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

theists and atheists

Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:25:41 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

For me, no; but I feel it's important to clarify that it's not so much a no as a "not at this time". It is possible that some information will come around that will call it into question and I have a broad idea what it would take for me to give up my beliefs and what that would look like.
janesix
Posts: 3,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:27:32 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 8:25:41 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

For me, no; but I feel it's important to clarify that it's not so much a no as a "not at this time". It is possible that some information will come around that will call it into question and I have a broad idea what it would take for me to give up my beliefs and what that would look like.

Can you expand on that a bit?
Outplayz
Posts: 1,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:36:27 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

Since my beliefs are a paradox already... i question them, and i believe them... To me, it doesn't matter much which is right for both of them would require me to be the best i can be. In this reality, thrive to be the best i can be and comfortable... and if i live on, the same. The proof i have for them is more concrete in that they are not true. However, these proofs come from this reality with these rules. I believe in another reality beyond this, and i believe i have manifested from that reality here, so it is transcendent to this reality and i wouldn't have concrete proof of it bc i am not there. But, the proofs in my belief are becoming more clear as i understand what i could be in the other reality. So, my spiritual experiences that correlate with my beliefs have happened, therefore, i hold on to those beliefs. More should happen if i am right, so i am being vigilant. Really though, the more that should happen i am being skeptical of ever happening... so i don't know. Yet, every time i have been skeptical i have been proven wrong by my beliefs... it will be an interesting journey nonetheless.
janesix
Posts: 3,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:40:02 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 8:36:27 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

Since my beliefs are a paradox already... i question them, and i believe them... To me, it doesn't matter much which is right for both of them would require me to be the best i can be. In this reality, thrive to be the best i can be and comfortable... and if i live on, the same. The proof i have for them is more concrete in that they are not true. However, these proofs come from this reality with these rules. I believe in another reality beyond this, and i believe i have manifested from that reality here, so it is transcendent to this reality and i wouldn't have concrete proof of it bc i am not there. But, the proofs in my belief are becoming more clear as i understand what i could be in the other reality. So, my spiritual experiences that correlate with my beliefs have happened, therefore, i hold on to those beliefs. More should happen if i am right, so i am being vigilant. Really though, the more that should happen i am being skeptical of ever happening... so i don't know. Yet, every time i have been skeptical i have been proven wrong by my beliefs... it will be an interesting journey nonetheless.

"I believe in another reality beyond this"

What is this other reality? What is it like?
Outplayz
Posts: 1,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 9:01:04 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 8:40:02 PM, janesix wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:36:27 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

Since my beliefs are a paradox already... i question them, and i believe them... To me, it doesn't matter much which is right for both of them would require me to be the best i can be. In this reality, thrive to be the best i can be and comfortable... and if i live on, the same. The proof i have for them is more concrete in that they are not true. However, these proofs come from this reality with these rules. I believe in another reality beyond this, and i believe i have manifested from that reality here, so it is transcendent to this reality and i wouldn't have concrete proof of it bc i am not there. But, the proofs in my belief are becoming more clear as i understand what i could be in the other reality. So, my spiritual experiences that correlate with my beliefs have happened, therefore, i hold on to those beliefs. More should happen if i am right, so i am being vigilant. Really though, the more that should happen i am being skeptical of ever happening... so i don't know. Yet, every time i have been skeptical i have been proven wrong by my beliefs... it will be an interesting journey nonetheless.

"I believe in another reality beyond this"

What is this other reality? What is it like?

I couldn't tell you, concretely anyways. A part of my belief is that i have come here to have a human experience, therefore, will... This leads me to speculate however the question you have asked. I believe this "other reality" is void of matter making me just a "thought" ... a thought of who i am. I would be self conscious yet immortal.

Now... all of this is subject to me and doesn't mean this is exactly what you are or others. I believe others came from different "realities" if they believe they did so.

This reality is mine, i am still working out other elements like family and friends, but as of now it is more solipsistic. As in, oh no... i am going to say it... i am the god of my own reality. However, i don't think this is a good thing. The way i illustrate what my immortality would feel like is this... imagine having a shelf full of movies. You can look at all the movies and know what they are, the characters, plot and so on. However, you won't know what it feels like or have an experience until you play the movie. It's like looking at a video game and knowing everything about the game, but not knowing it truly until you play it. I am not saying either or is good or bad. Just looking at a game could feel good, however, playing it is a different type of feeling good.

This is what i believe i will become. An immortal knowing all the movies and games around me and having a choice to which i will play next. The reason i say it is subjective is bc of how i believe in it gives me more power. These are the proofs... basically that i am powerful which should lead to certain outcomes. Not all know this therefore can only be the characters in these games, some will just unconsciously pick the next... i don't know of others, but what i know is ... in this life or the next, i am the one in charge, accountable, responsible for my future and what i contribute to the world i live in.
rnjs
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 1:32:19 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

No
intellectuallyprimitive
Posts: 1,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 2:31:57 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

Questioning beliefs is a continuous process.

Skepticism is a related topic you can research.
dee-em
Posts: 6,473
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:40:25 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

Of course. A rational person is always questioning their belief system in the light of new information. A rational person also questions the basis of the beliefs they currently hold and whether they were formed through authority figures in their lives and indoctrination rather than having a foundation in reality (observation of the world).
janesix
Posts: 3,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:27:40 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 3:40:25 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

Of course. A rational person is always questioning their belief system in the light of new information. A rational person also questions the basis of the beliefs they currently hold and whether they were formed through authority figures in their lives and indoctrination rather than having a foundation in reality (observation of the world).

So what are some things that make you question your beliefs?
janesix
Posts: 3,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:32:17 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 2:31:57 AM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

Questioning beliefs is a continuous process.

Not for everyone.

What are some things that make you question your beliefs?

Skepticism is a related topic you can research.
dee-em
Posts: 6,473
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:45:20 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:27:40 AM, janesix wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:40:25 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

Of course. A rational person is always questioning their belief system in the light of new information. A rational person also questions the basis of the beliefs they currently hold and whether they were formed through authority figures in their lives and indoctrination rather than having a foundation in reality (observation of the world).

So what are some things that make you question your beliefs?

I thought I had already answered that question. New information and reappraisal of the origin of existing beliefs.
Willows
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 7:15:00 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/7/2016 8:36:27 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Yet, every time i have been skeptical i have been proven wrong by my beliefs... it will be an interesting journey nonetheless.

This seems to be very paradoxical.

I was wondering, what in particular have you been skeptical about then proven wrong by your beliefs?
janesix
Posts: 3,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 8:49:18 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:45:20 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:27:40 AM, janesix wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:40:25 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

Of course. A rational person is always questioning their belief system in the light of new information. A rational person also questions the basis of the beliefs they currently hold and whether they were formed through authority figures in their lives and indoctrination rather than having a foundation in reality (observation of the world).

So what are some things that make you question your beliefs?

I thought I had already answered that question. New information and reappraisal of the origin of existing beliefs.

Can you give a specific example?
dee-em
Posts: 6,473
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 10:14:11 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 8:49:18 AM, janesix wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:45:20 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:27:40 AM, janesix wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:40:25 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

Of course. A rational person is always questioning their belief system in the light of new information. A rational person also questions the basis of the beliefs they currently hold and whether they were formed through authority figures in their lives and indoctrination rather than having a foundation in reality (observation of the world).

So what are some things that make you question your beliefs?

I thought I had already answered that question. New information and reappraisal of the origin of existing beliefs.

Can you give a specific example?

I used to believe that Nadal was a better tennis player than Djokovic. I don't any longer after the last 3 or 4 years.

Okay? :)
ANON_TacTiX
Posts: 460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 1:18:18 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?
The fact there is no proof for either atheism or theism. What more do you need?
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
Outplayz
Posts: 1,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 5:54:18 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 7:15:00 AM, Willows wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:36:27 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Yet, every time i have been skeptical i have been proven wrong by my beliefs... it will be an interesting journey nonetheless.

This seems to be very paradoxical.

I was wondering, what in particular have you been skeptical about then proven wrong by your beliefs?

Lol, that is why i said my beliefs are paradoxical, so good observation.

This is a legitimate question though. It is more so the experiences i have had and how they happened. I personally am not the type of "spiritual person" that will quickly say "God did it" or something must be supernatural. I will often times doubt and/or disbelief even some of my strongest experiences. It takes a lot for me to take things past natural explanation. With that said, i still have experiences that i know there are no explanations for. Further, it is often times the progression in which they happen. Some of my weak, normal / naturally explained experiences were given more weight by how they happened.

For instance, an "aura" experience i once had. Now, not saying that this is an "aura," that just explains what i saw sorta. Plus, one can easily say that this was some kind of illusion, but... to me it is different bc of how it happened and its later implications. I was talking with a cousin and i saw a blue light shoot up his arm. It looked exactly like an LED small light, and as bright. At this point in my life, this scared me. I thought i was going nuts, and may have been. I went home, splashed myself in the face with some water, and looked at myself in the mirror ("what the f did i see"). As soon as i gave up on the idea, same type of light, but green, shot around me. Of course, scientifically this can be explained, and is one of my weaker experiences... but, this experience set certain things in motion. Not only that, the coincidences well go beyond just that. First to see it around my cousin in blue, doubt that i can see it, as soon as giving up on the idea (literally was turning to walk away), light around me, this time green... and some other things that happened after. Nevertheless, this is an explainable one, naturally, so i soon forgot about it and didn't care much for spirituality... that's when stronger experiences started happening.

I would literally have sit here and write a book to illustrate what has happened throughout my years. How i am thinking of explanations and things like confirmation bias, but can't use anything less than insanity to explain some experiences... which is funny, bc i do, but i know i am lying to myself at this point (especially bc most have corroboration from others). Anyways, it doesn't matter bc my little self experiment is still ongoing.

If i am right, then certain things must happen... one being getting more experiences. Idk, i can't write everything out bc it is much more complicated than just telling you what has happened, some have history behind them. I'll just have to wait and see what happens from here.
intellectuallyprimitive
Posts: 1,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 9:29:23 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:32:17 AM, janesix wrote:
At 9/8/2016 2:31:57 AM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:

What are some things that make you question your beliefs?

Updated information
Being skeptical
Critical thinking
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 10:46:29 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 1:18:18 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?
The fact there is no proof for either atheism or theism. What more do you need?

Sacrilege! Oh wait, I actually agree
Willows
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 6:19:42 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/8/2016 5:54:18 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 9/8/2016 7:15:00 AM, Willows wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:36:27 PM, Outplayz wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Yet, every time i have been skeptical i have been proven wrong by my beliefs... it will be an interesting journey nonetheless.

This seems to be very paradoxical.

I was wondering, what in particular have you been skeptical about then proven wrong by your beliefs?

Lol, that is why i said my beliefs are paradoxical, so good observation.

This is a legitimate question though. It is more so the experiences i have had and how they happened. I personally am not the type of "spiritual person" that will quickly say "God did it" or something must be supernatural. I will often times doubt and/or disbelief even some of my strongest experiences. It takes a lot for me to take things past natural explanation. With that said, i still have experiences that i know there are no explanations for. Further, it is often times the progression in which they happen. Some of my weak, normal / naturally explained experiences were given more weight by how they happened.

For instance, an "aura" experience i once had. Now, not saying that this is an "aura," that just explains what i saw sorta. Plus, one can easily say that this was some kind of illusion, but... to me it is different bc of how it happened and its later implications. I was talking with a cousin and i saw a blue light shoot up his arm. It looked exactly like an LED small light, and as bright. At this point in my life, this scared me. I thought i was going nuts, and may have been. I went home, splashed myself in the face with some water, and looked at myself in the mirror ("what the f did i see"). As soon as i gave up on the idea, same type of light, but green, shot around me. Of course, scientifically this can be explained, and is one of my weaker experiences... but, this experience set certain things in motion. Not only that, the coincidences well go beyond just that. First to see it around my cousin in blue, doubt that i can see it, as soon as giving up on the idea (literally was turning to walk away), light around me, this time green... and some other things that happened after. Nevertheless, this is an explainable one, naturally, so i soon forgot about it and didn't care much for spirituality... that's when stronger experiences started happening.

I would literally have sit here and write a book to illustrate what has happened throughout my years. How i am thinking of explanations and things like confirmation bias, but can't use anything less than insanity to explain some experiences... which is funny, bc i do, but i know i am lying to myself at this point (especially bc most have corroboration from others). Anyways, it doesn't matter bc my little self experiment is still ongoing.

If i am right, then certain things must happen... one being getting more experiences. Idk, i can't write everything out bc it is much more complicated than just telling you what has happened, some have history behind them. I'll just have to wait and see what happens from here.

OK, I get you. Maybe I'm playing devil's advocate here or maybe a home psychologist, nevertheless I'm just standing out and looking at you, but just saying what I objectively think.
Since, as human beings we happen to have very large brains, we tend to think too much. Way too much in fact for mere survival. The advantages of course is that we can get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction from intellectual pursuits. The cons are that we tend to fill in the gaps of things we don't know about by assuming, exaggerating and making conclusions that are invariably wrong.

How we got here is the Big Kahuna of these gaps that we find more compelled to fill than anything else in life and mankind has come up with all sorts of gap fillers since time immemorial, spiritualism is one of them.

So once we take a certain position, (depending on how strong the resolution) our thought processes will be affected accordingly in every day life situations. Even a slight "belief" can manifest itself many times larger depending upon the situation.

It is impossible to learn or know everything, so how do we get a truly objective handle on life?

I'm only giving you my experience and situation but I came to realise that I have a natural disposition to think too much into things, ok from a creative perspective but can get me into trouble in dealing with every day situations and decision-making.

You may have heard of Richard Dawkins, the biologist and well known for his views on atheism, however he is also a "critical thinker".

I would say that he is more of a critical thinker first and because of that, is an atheist.
Critical thinking enables us to evaluate things for ourselves and be able to discriminate between what may be and what is.

Give critical thinking a go, it is quite interesting and fun once you get into it, then see what you think.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 8:32:23 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

If they showed us the aliens
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
janesix
Posts: 3,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 8:36:10 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/9/2016 8:32:23 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

If they showed us the aliens

Do you think God created trillions of suns(and probably planets) just to have life on only one planet? What are all those extra suns and planets for?
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 9:37:25 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/9/2016 8:36:10 PM, janesix wrote:
At 9/9/2016 8:32:23 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

If they showed us the aliens

Do you think God created trillions of suns(and probably planets) just to have life on only one planet? What are all those extra suns and planets for?

To watch the arrogance of pions who stand against someone capable of creating and destroying all of that.

There are video games with neverending program loops, constituting an unending reality. But the only characters are the ones in the meat of the game. Even we ourselves created unending realities with only one plot, narrative, and main characters.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
janesix
Posts: 3,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 9:43:09 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/9/2016 9:37:25 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 9/9/2016 8:36:10 PM, janesix wrote:
At 9/9/2016 8:32:23 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

If they showed us the aliens

Do you think God created trillions of suns(and probably planets) just to have life on only one planet? What are all those extra suns and planets for?

To watch the arrogance of pions who stand against someone capable of creating and destroying all of that.

So you aren't going to answer my questions?

There are video games with neverending program loops, constituting an unending reality. But the only characters are the ones in the meat of the game. Even we ourselves created unending realities with only one plot, narrative, and main characters.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 2:32:01 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

Yes, evidence.

Belief without evidence is called faith. Faith is for gullible fools.
missmedic
Posts: 387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 8:16:30 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

Yes critical thinking, it's helps you find the best explanation. Our most successful explanations also tend to be consistent with our background knowledge.

http://www.criticalreading.com...
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,622
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 1:44:13 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/9/2016 9:37:25 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 9/9/2016 8:36:10 PM, janesix wrote:
At 9/9/2016 8:32:23 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

If they showed us the aliens

Do you think God created trillions of suns(and probably planets) just to have life on only one planet? What are all those extra suns and planets for?

To watch the arrogance of pions who stand against someone capable of creating and destroying all of that.

There are video games with neverending program loops, constituting an unending reality. But the only characters are the ones in the meat of the game. Even we ourselves created unending realities with only one plot, narrative, and main characters.

The Bible?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 7:22:00 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/7/2016 8:20:29 PM, janesix wrote:
Is there anything that makes you question your beliefs?

And guess which area goes down in the end of days in the Bible? Syria.

Guess what all nations Christ stands against in the end of days in the Bible have in common? Islam.

Man. It must just be one big conspired from 2,000 years ago + coincidence.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...