Total Posts:271|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Can any IDer provide an example of non design

bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 10:57:54 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 7:06:46 AM, dee-em wrote:
They can only give you one answer. God.
Everything else requires design.
It's called special pleading.

Yes unfortunately dee I requested that they provide an example not a claim. When they supply a god as an example I may be prepared to consider such.
Since IDers consider everything to be designed the word design has no meaning for IDers.
What now is their claim?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
dee-em
Posts: 6,481
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 11:01:00 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 10:57:54 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/8/2016 7:06:46 AM, dee-em wrote:
They can only give you one answer. God.
Everything else requires design.
It's called special pleading.

Yes unfortunately dee I requested that they provide an example not a claim. When they supply a god as an example I may be prepared to consider such.
Since IDers consider everything to be designed the word design has no meaning for IDers.
What now is their claim?

Good point. The word 'design' loses its meaning since there is nothing to compare it to.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 11:05:14 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 5:09:12 AM, bulproof wrote:
I'm just curious.

Were I to take a guess as to what they might say, I would go with "the vacuum of space", void.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 11:21:17 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 11:05:14 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 9/8/2016 5:09:12 AM, bulproof wrote:
I'm just curious.

Were I to take a guess as to what they might say, I would go with "the vacuum of space", void.
According to them, designed. As is everything. By their definition, design has no meaning.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 11:26:16 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 11:21:17 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/8/2016 11:05:14 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 9/8/2016 5:09:12 AM, bulproof wrote:
I'm just curious.

Were I to take a guess as to what they might say, I would go with "the vacuum of space", void.
According to them, designed. As is everything. By their definition, design has no meaning.

I am not certain I have seen any IDer argue for "nothing" (as the void of space is) be designed.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:01:38 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 11:26:16 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 9/8/2016 11:21:17 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/8/2016 11:05:14 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 9/8/2016 5:09:12 AM, bulproof wrote:
I'm just curious.

Were I to take a guess as to what they might say, I would go with "the vacuum of space", void.
According to them, designed. As is everything. By their definition, design has no meaning.

I am not certain I have seen any IDer argue for "nothing" (as the void of space is) be designed.

The void isn't technically nothing, but it's irrelevant, if the universe was designed and the void is a part of the universe then it was designed.
In an IDers paradigm the word design is meaningless.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:08:29 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 12:01:38 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/8/2016 11:26:16 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 9/8/2016 11:21:17 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/8/2016 11:05:14 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 9/8/2016 5:09:12 AM, bulproof wrote:
I'm just curious.

Were I to take a guess as to what they might say, I would go with "the vacuum of space", void.
According to them, designed. As is everything. By their definition, design has no meaning.

I am not certain I have seen any IDer argue for "nothing" (as the void of space is) be designed.

The void isn't technically nothing

??? What is the "something" in void of space? I think as a distribution of matter that was detected was some odd one atom of hydrogen per cubic meter. The rest of the measured area contained, literally, nothing.

, but it's irrelevant, if the universe was designed and the void is a part of the universe then it was designed.

Ah. Okay, that is a bit tougher to hurdle. Planned "available building space" for later, I guess. I dunno.

In an IDers paradigm the word design is meaningless.

In light of your previous, yeah, I think you might have "them" in a catch 22.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:33:35 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
IDers, step up to the plate and defend design.
Bwuahahahahaha
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 2:20:47 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Where oh where are our DDO creationists/IDers?
This is your chance to prove beyond doubt that your claims are justified.
GO FOR IT.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:40:28 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I'm waiting for the v3 bomber to fly in.
I won't hold my breath because cowards who know they are beaten just run away, usually well before they are beaten. hahahahaha
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:49:57 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
C'mon all you creationist godbotherers, get your stuff out here and give us all an example of non design.
Poor little v3 has failed abysmally and tucked his short tail between his shorter legs and wobbled away whimpering.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Chaosism
Posts: 2,670
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:52:53 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 3:40:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
I'm waiting for the v3 bomber to fly in.
I won't hold my breath because cowards who know they are beaten just run away, usually well before they are beaten. hahahahaha

This was his reply to this issue in the past:

At 5/16/2016 2:38:06 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 5/16/2016 2:24:56 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 5/16/2016 2:05:31 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 5/16/2016 1:40:32 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Exactly what objective criteria do you use to determine whether something is designed (with intent) or not?

If it was designed, then I consider it designed.

Certainly, you're not serious with this reply.

It is a serious reply. The point is, you are trying to find some procedural way around what is manifestly true. You want to talk about how we know instead of what we know.

Other than evolution, can you name a time when you honestly had a problem deciding whether an item was designed or not?

There's a little more to the conversation (http://www.debate.org...), but not too much. No answer was supplied. To note, I don't presented this with any ill will towards v3nesl whatsoever, but I think that this highlights your point tremendously.
bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:01:54 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 3:52:53 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:40:28 PM, bulproof wrote:
I'm waiting for the v3 bomber to fly in.
I won't hold my breath because cowards who know they are beaten just run away, usually well before they are beaten. hahahahaha

This was his reply to this issue in the past:

At 5/16/2016 2:38:06 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 5/16/2016 2:24:56 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 5/16/2016 2:05:31 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 5/16/2016 1:40:32 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Exactly what objective criteria do you use to determine whether something is designed (with intent) or not?

If it was designed, then I consider it designed.

Certainly, you're not serious with this reply.

It is a serious reply. The point is, you are trying to find some procedural way around what is manifestly true. You want to talk about how we know instead of what we know.

Other than evolution, can you name a time when you honestly had a problem deciding whether an item was designed or not?

There's a little more to the conversation (http://www.debate.org...), but not too much. No answer was supplied. To note, I don't presented this with any ill will towards v3nesl whatsoever, but I think that this highlights your point tremendously.
Yeah thanks chaos. Poor v3 considers himself a designer and he may well be, it just seems to be beyond him to define non design. That is understandable since in his paradigm there can be no such word as design.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:03:44 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
If an intelligent designer designed the universe, then everything is a product of intelligent design. If everything is a product of intelligent design, there is no example of non-design. Intelligent design is a movement stating that there is intelligent design in the universe.

Conclusion: There is no way to determine whether something is designed or not and therefore intelligent design is an invalid inference.

I'll point out the problem. The problem isn't whether intelligent design advocates can point out an example of non-design, but whether they can point out an example of non-intelligent design.

When something is "designed" it is designed to fulfill a specific role or purpose. A water bottle is designed to hold liquid. A car is designed for transport. Shoes are designed to protect our feet.

If you tried to be transported by a container for holding liquid somewhere how far do you think you'd go? This is obviously not intelligent design in fulfilling that specific role or purpose.

So the question is not whether we can recognize design from non-design but whether we can recognize non-intelligent design from intelligent design. Something is intelligently designed if it is designed to fulfill a specific role or purpose. If we can identify natural phenomena that fulfills a specific role or purpose, then there is intelligent design in the universe. So, I'll leave you to chew on this question:

Does your brain infer intelligent design or non-intelligent design?
bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:10:26 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:03:44 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
If an intelligent designer designed the universe, then everything is a product of intelligent design. If everything is a product of intelligent design, there is no example of non-design. Intelligent design is a movement stating that there is intelligent design in the universe.

Conclusion: There is no way to determine whether something is designed or not and therefore intelligent design is an invalid inference.

I'll point out the problem. The problem isn't whether intelligent design advocates can point out an example of non-design, but whether they can point out an example of non-intelligent design.

When something is "designed" it is designed to fulfill a specific role or purpose. A water bottle is designed to hold liquid. A car is designed for transport. Shoes are designed to protect our feet.

If you tried to be transported by a container for holding liquid somewhere how far do you think you'd go? This is obviously not intelligent design in fulfilling that specific role or purpose.

So the question is not whether we can recognize design from non-design but whether we can recognize non-intelligent design from intelligent design. Something is intelligently designed if it is designed to fulfill a specific role or purpose. If we can identify natural phenomena that fulfills a specific role or purpose, then there is intelligent design in the universe. So, I'll leave you to chew on this question:

Does your brain infer intelligent design or non-intelligent design?

I'll raise you that and bet did your god create everything and is your god intelligent?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
PureX
Posts: 1,528
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:13:38 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 5:09:12 AM, bulproof wrote:
Can any IDer provide an example of non design
I'm just curious.

Why would they want to? The fact that they cannot give you an example on "non-design" only serve to further their belief that existence is intelligently designed.

You don't appear to understand the implications of your own question.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:17:01 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:13:38 PM, PureX wrote:
At 9/8/2016 5:09:12 AM, bulproof wrote:
Can any IDer provide an example of non design
I'm just curious.

Why would they want to? The fact that they cannot give you an example on "non-design" only serve to further their belief that existence is intelligently designed.

You don't appear to understand the implications of your own question.

Then ID theory and religion are the same damn thing, no sense in trying to intellectually distance or distinguish oneself from another. Its Deism, pure and simple.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Chaosism
Posts: 2,670
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:18:16 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:03:44 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
If an intelligent designer designed the universe, then everything is a product of intelligent design. If everything is a product of intelligent design, there is no example of non-design. Intelligent design is a movement stating that there is intelligent design in the universe.

Conclusion: There is no way to determine whether something is designed or not and therefore intelligent design is an invalid inference.

I'll point out the problem. The problem isn't whether intelligent design advocates can point out an example of non-design, but whether they can point out an example of non-intelligent design.

When something is "designed" it is designed to fulfill a specific role or purpose. A water bottle is designed to hold liquid. A car is designed for transport. Shoes are designed to protect our feet.

If you tried to be transported by a container for holding liquid somewhere how far do you think you'd go? This is obviously not intelligent design in fulfilling that specific role or purpose.

So the question is not whether we can recognize design from non-design but whether we can recognize non-intelligent design from intelligent design. Something is intelligently designed if it is designed to fulfill a specific role or purpose. If we can identify natural phenomena that fulfills a specific role or purpose, then there is intelligent design in the universe. So, I'll leave you to chew on this question:

Does your brain infer intelligent design or non-intelligent design?

Just to comment, Ben, the "intelligence" that's proposed by Intelligent Design doesn't mean "smart" but, rather, more like "a conscious entity capable of volition". This very equivocation is the reason why this joke works:

"Have scientists found intelligent life in the universe, yet?"
"No, and there still looking for it here on Earth!" ;P

So, even a stupidly designed object would still be considered "intelligently design", in this case, because it's the result of willful action and intent.
bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:21:34 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:13:38 PM, PureX wrote:
At 9/8/2016 5:09:12 AM, bulproof wrote:
Can any IDer provide an example of non design
I'm just curious.

Why would they want to? The fact that they cannot give you an example on "non-design" only serve to further their belief that existence is intelligently designed.

You don't appear to understand the implications of your own question.
I understand the implications better than you and most certainly better than the IDers.
How do you determine design unless you have non design as a comparison?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:24:28 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:10:26 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:03:44 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
If an intelligent designer designed the universe, then everything is a product of intelligent design. If everything is a product of intelligent design, there is no example of non-design. Intelligent design is a movement stating that there is intelligent design in the universe.

Conclusion: There is no way to determine whether something is designed or not and therefore intelligent design is an invalid inference.

I'll point out the problem. The problem isn't whether intelligent design advocates can point out an example of non-design, but whether they can point out an example of non-intelligent design.

When something is "designed" it is designed to fulfill a specific role or purpose. A water bottle is designed to hold liquid. A car is designed for transport. Shoes are designed to protect our feet.

If you tried to be transported by a container for holding liquid somewhere how far do you think you'd go? This is obviously not intelligent design in fulfilling that specific role or purpose.

So the question is not whether we can recognize design from non-design but whether we can recognize non-intelligent design from intelligent design. Something is intelligently designed if it is designed to fulfill a specific role or purpose. If we can identify natural phenomena that fulfills a specific role or purpose, then there is intelligent design in the universe. So, I'll leave you to chew on this question:

Does your brain infer intelligent design or non-intelligent design?

I'll raise you that and bet did your god create everything and is your god intelligent?

Let's say that "everything" is in reference to the universe and let's say that God is an intelligent designer. The universe is the product of an intelligent designer, and therefore everything in the universe is the product of intelligent design. This begs the question: If everything is intelligently designed, how do we infer that something is the product of intelligent design versus something that is the product of non-(intelligent design)?

Remember: "intelligent design" refers to something that is created for a specific role or purpose. We can take something that is very intelligently designed, such as a computer, and conclude that it's non-intelligently designed in fulfilling the specific role or purpose of being used as a floatie out on the lake. It is in this same sense that we can differentiate between intelligent design and non-intelligent design.

If we are able to clearly identify that some natural thing is a means towards an end then we've found intelligent design in the universe. This isn't a new argument. This goes all the way back to Aquinas.
PureX
Posts: 1,528
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:24:40 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:17:01 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:13:38 PM, PureX wrote:
At 9/8/2016 5:09:12 AM, bulproof wrote:
Can any IDer provide an example of non design
I'm just curious.

Why would they want to? The fact that they cannot give you an example on "non-design" only serve to further their belief that existence is intelligently designed.

You don't appear to understand the implications of your own question.


Then ID theory and religion are the same damn thing, no sense in trying to intellectually distance or distinguish oneself from another. Its Deism, pure and simple.

You can't provide an example of "non-design", either. So not being able to provide an example of it doesn't really mean anything regarding God or religion.
PureX
Posts: 1,528
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:26:32 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:21:34 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:13:38 PM, PureX wrote:
At 9/8/2016 5:09:12 AM, bulproof wrote:
Can any IDer provide an example of non design
I'm just curious.

Why would they want to? The fact that they cannot give you an example on "non-design" only serve to further their belief that existence is intelligently designed.

You don't appear to understand the implications of your own question.
I understand the implications better than you and most certainly better than the IDers.
How do you determine design unless you have non design as a comparison?

Just use the definition of design. What's so hard?
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:30:08 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:18:16 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:03:44 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
If an intelligent designer designed the universe, then everything is a product of intelligent design. If everything is a product of intelligent design, there is no example of non-design. Intelligent design is a movement stating that there is intelligent design in the universe.

Conclusion: There is no way to determine whether something is designed or not and therefore intelligent design is an invalid inference.

I'll point out the problem. The problem isn't whether intelligent design advocates can point out an example of non-design, but whether they can point out an example of non-intelligent design.

When something is "designed" it is designed to fulfill a specific role or purpose. A water bottle is designed to hold liquid. A car is designed for transport. Shoes are designed to protect our feet.

If you tried to be transported by a container for holding liquid somewhere how far do you think you'd go? This is obviously not intelligent design in fulfilling that specific role or purpose.

So the question is not whether we can recognize design from non-design but whether we can recognize non-intelligent design from intelligent design. Something is intelligently designed if it is designed to fulfill a specific role or purpose. If we can identify natural phenomena that fulfills a specific role or purpose, then there is intelligent design in the universe. So, I'll leave you to chew on this question:

Does your brain infer intelligent design or non-intelligent design?

Just to comment, Ben, the "intelligence" that's proposed by Intelligent Design doesn't mean "smart" but, rather, more like "a conscious entity capable of volition". This very equivocation is the reason why this joke works:

"Have scientists found intelligent life in the universe, yet?"
"No, and there still looking for it here on Earth!" ;P

So, even a stupidly designed object would still be considered "intelligently design", in this case, because it's the result of willful action and intent.

This is more a matter of whether the *creator* is intelligent instead of whether the *object* is intelligently designed or not. We infer intelligent design if the object exhibits fulfillment of a specific role or purpose. The degree of confidence to which we can infer intelligent design depends on the degree of specificity and complexity.
bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:32:05 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:26:32 PM, PureX wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:21:34 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:13:38 PM, PureX wrote:
At 9/8/2016 5:09:12 AM, bulproof wrote:
Can any IDer provide an example of non design
I'm just curious.

Why would they want to? The fact that they cannot give you an example on "non-design" only serve to further their belief that existence is intelligently designed.

You don't appear to understand the implications of your own question.
I understand the implications better than you and most certainly better than the IDers.
How do you determine design unless you have non design as a comparison?

Just use the definition of design. What's so hard?
If in the paradigm of the IDer everything is designed then the word design is meaningless.
It's not designed it just exists.
And it's not intelligent it just exists.
IDers become existers.
That sh!t exists because that sh!t exists, is the new Intelligent Design/Creationist credo.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:33:31 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:24:40 PM, PureX wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:17:01 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:13:38 PM, PureX wrote:
At 9/8/2016 5:09:12 AM, bulproof wrote:
Can any IDer provide an example of non design
I'm just curious.

Why would they want to? The fact that they cannot give you an example on "non-design" only serve to further their belief that existence is intelligently designed.

You don't appear to understand the implications of your own question.


Then ID theory and religion are the same damn thing, no sense in trying to intellectually distance or distinguish oneself from another. Its Deism, pure and simple.

You can't provide an example of "non-design", either. So not being able to provide an example of it doesn't really mean anything regarding God or religion.
Yes I can.
A rock, a mountain, a pebble.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:37:01 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:24:40 PM, PureX wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:17:01 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:13:38 PM, PureX wrote:
At 9/8/2016 5:09:12 AM, bulproof wrote:
Can any IDer provide an example of non design
I'm just curious.

Why would they want to? The fact that they cannot give you an example on "non-design" only serve to further their belief that existence is intelligently designed.

You don't appear to understand the implications of your own question.


Then ID theory and religion are the same damn thing, no sense in trying to intellectually distance or distinguish oneself from another. Its Deism, pure and simple.

You can't provide an example of "non-design", either.

Considering I am not advocating for a designer, why should I? Existence on the whole to me appears nondesigned. To me, if something looks designed, there should be evidence of a designer. Or a purpose for said design. Non-design, however has no such compunctions, and (not so) amazingly, that appears to be how the universe operates.

So not being able to provide an example of it doesn't really mean anything regarding God or religion.

Even though by definition such would have to be supernatural and independent cause outside of the created reality? That is general Deism, my friend.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:39:52 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:03:44 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
If an intelligent designer designed the universe, then everything is a product of intelligent design. If everything is a product of intelligent design, there is no example of non-design. Intelligent design is a movement stating that there is intelligent design in the universe.

Conclusion: There is no way to determine whether something is designed or not and therefore intelligent design is an invalid inference.

I'll point out the problem. The problem isn't whether intelligent design advocates can point out an example of non-design, but whether they can point out an example of non-intelligent design.

When something is "designed" it is designed to fulfill a specific role or purpose. A water bottle is designed to hold liquid. A car is designed for transport. Shoes are designed to protect our feet.

If you tried to be transported by a container for holding liquid somewhere how far do you think you'd go? This is obviously not intelligent design in fulfilling that specific role or purpose.

So the question is not whether we can recognize design from non-design but whether we can recognize non-intelligent design from intelligent design. Something is intelligently designed if it is designed to fulfill a specific role or purpose. If we can identify natural phenomena that fulfills a specific role or purpose, then there is intelligent design in the universe.

SO, a spider's web is intelligently designed? By the intelligence of the spider?

So, I'll leave you to chew on this question:

Does your brain infer intelligent design or non-intelligent design?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bulproof
Posts: 25,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:46:58 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/8/2016 4:24:28 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:10:26 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:03:44 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
If an intelligent designer designed the universe, then everything is a product of intelligent design. If everything is a product of intelligent design, there is no example of non-design. Intelligent design is a movement stating that there is intelligent design in the universe.

Conclusion: There is no way to determine whether something is designed or not and therefore intelligent design is an invalid inference.

I'll point out the problem. The problem isn't whether intelligent design advocates can point out an example of non-design, but whether they can point out an example of non-intelligent design.

When something is "designed" it is designed to fulfill a specific role or purpose. A water bottle is designed to hold liquid. A car is designed for transport. Shoes are designed to protect our feet.

If you tried to be transported by a container for holding liquid somewhere how far do you think you'd go? This is obviously not intelligent design in fulfilling that specific role or purpose.

So the question is not whether we can recognize design from non-design but whether we can recognize non-intelligent design from intelligent design. Something is intelligently designed if it is designed to fulfill a specific role or purpose. If we can identify natural phenomena that fulfills a specific role or purpose, then there is intelligent design in the universe. So, I'll leave you to chew on this question:

Does your brain infer intelligent design or non-intelligent design?

I'll raise you that and bet did your god create everything and is your god intelligent?

Let's say that "everything" is in reference to the universe and let's say that God is an intelligent designer.
Lets say that what you have said is crap. I'm happy with that are you?
The universe is the product of an intelligent designer,
You would need to provide evidence to support that and you can't supply it, so we will dismiss your claim.
and therefore everything in the universe is the product of intelligent design.
We've already dismissed that ridiculous possibility, carry on.
This begs the question: If everything is intelligently designed,
Which we have discounted as a possibility.
how do we infer that something is the product of intelligent design versus something that is the product of non-(intelligent design)?
And that becomes your problem. Since you effectively claim that there is only design then calling it intelligent is nonsensical. Since if the only thing is design then it is indistinguishable from non design and must not require intelligence at all.
Remember: "intelligent design" refers to something that is created for a specific role or purpose. We can take something that is very intelligently designed, such as a computer, and conclude that it's non-intelligently designed in fulfilling the specific role or purpose of being used as a floatie out on the lake. It is in this same sense that we can differentiate between intelligent design and non-intelligent design.
Actually your pathetic attempts at human analogies just make your arguments fatuous.
If we are able to clearly identify that some natural thing
Is natural the opposite to designed?
is a means towards an end then we've found intelligent design in the universe. This isn't a new argument. This goes all the way back to Aquinas.
You see deary, I want you and your fellow godbotherers to define the difference between designed and undesigned. Can you do that?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin