Jump to topic:

A non violent world

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 8:55:05 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Why did God create such a violent world where life feeds on life?

At first I thought maybe it couldn't be any other way, until I found that some animals are photosynthetic:

http://umich.uloop.com...

Why didn't God create all plants and animals to be photosynthetic? It would be a much more peaceful world.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 9:33:38 AM
At 9/8/2016 8:55:05 AM, janesix wrote:

At first I thought maybe it couldn't be any other way, until I found that some animals are photosynthetic:

Why didn't God create all plants and animals to be photosynthetic? It would be a much more peaceful world.

Maybe god gets its kicks out of human suffering.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 10:18:29 AM

There is violence even in the plant world. Have you heard of strangler figs and strangler vines?
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 10:22:58 AM

Quite right, which just goes to show that, without even reading the evidence, how could anyone possibly draw the ridiculous conclusion that a creator was responsible for all this shemozzle.
Even the complexity of life building bit by bit over billions of years can be understood by most 7 year olds yet some grown adults still grapple with the concept.
If indeed there was a creator responsible for life our planet would look completely different.

Why would a God take 28 billion years of mucking around with globules of protein, water and trace minerals only to find that His life-forms have to eat each other to survive with many being either born with, or developing, hideous deformities.

A creator had much better materials to choose from to make functioning beings in which to place "intelligence".

He could have used titanium, carbon fibre and kevlar to make most of the body.

Eyes could have been contracted out to Nikon to manufacture and would be far superior, with 360 degrees high resolution scanning.

He would get Bose to take care of the audio, making omni-directional ears and full range microphone voices.

Intel of course would supply the processors which would be far superior and have much more memory capacity than the pieces of jelly we presently have for brains. It would also mean that God could download minds easily and be able to stream commands in real time through iCloud.

Then, one day He happens to make a living creature called Steve Jobs.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 10:30:32 AM
At 9/8/2016 10:22:58 AM, Willows wrote:

Quite right, which just goes to show that, without even reading the evidence, how could anyone possibly draw the ridiculous conclusion that a creator was responsible for all this shemozzle.
Even the complexity of life building bit by bit over billions of years can be understood by most 7 year olds yet some grown adults still grapple with the concept.
If indeed there was a creator responsible for life our planet would look completely different.

Why would a God take 28 billion years of mucking around with globules of protein, water and trace minerals only to find that His life-forms have to eat each other to survive with many being either born with, or developing, hideous deformities.

A creator had much better materials to choose from to make functioning beings in which to place "intelligence".

Eyes could have been contracted out to Nikon to manufacture and would be far superior, with 360 degrees high resolution scanning.

He would get Bose to take care of the audio, making omni-directional ears and full range microphone voices.

Intel of course would supply the processors which would be far superior and have much more memory capacity than the pieces of jelly we presently have for brains. It would also mean that God could download minds easily and be able to stream commands in real time through iCloud.

Steve Jobs is living? Praise the lord, its a miracle.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 10:47:26 AM
At 9/8/2016 10:30:32 AM, desmac wrote:

He has just reincarnated.
iPhone 7.
rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 1:39:18 PM
He didn't, the present state of the world was caused by the fall.

Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 1:43:06 PM

God also intended for you to recognize it, to be concerned about it, and to make such judgements, or else god wouldn't have created you with the capacity to do so. What do you think of this thought?
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 2:21:01 PM
At 9/8/2016 1:43:06 PM, Chaosism wrote:

God also intended for you to recognize it, to be concerned about it, and to make such judgements, or else god wouldn't have created you with the capacity to do so. What do you think of this thought?

It seems everything is a test if this God bloke is at the helm .
Looncall
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 2:27:10 PM

That seems to be a trivial end for such an enormous amount of terrible suffering.

I don't buy it.

What we see is what one would expect to see if there is no tri-omni god around.
The metaphysicist has no laboratory.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 2:27:29 PM
At 9/8/2016 2:21:01 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

And as an omniscient dog he already knows the results of the tests, so he's just a douche for conducting the tests in the first place.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 2:27:33 PM
At 9/8/2016 2:21:01 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Yeah, but calling things a "test" is just an Ad Hoc tactic, because that's only asserted when no other explanation is available (other than to vilify God, of course). Further, those who claim God to be all-knowing don't seem to realize that the word "test" is utterly meaningless in the context of God, because it implies an unknown outcome.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 2:33:43 PM

I think that's a good point. Also, is the world truly imperfect? Or is it just our subjective assessment that it's imperfect?
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 2:36:11 PM
At 9/8/2016 2:27:10 PM, Looncall wrote:

That seems to be a trivial end for such an enormous amount of terrible suffering.

Sure, but Jane didn't specify any particular notion of god, so God could be a sadistic entity who created everything for the purpose of watching things suffer.

Also, how do you determine what constitutes "suffering"? I think this entails that which causes pain, anguish, or any form of experience that we find disunpleasurable to the human experience. This includes the suffering inflicted by witnessing another being suffer, via empathy. Would you agree or disagree with this?

I don't buy it.

That's OK. I'm not selling it, anyway. ;)

These attributes were not assumed in this thread. Otherwise, I totally agree.
UUU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:11:50 PM

Your idea of a 'better' human is nothing more than a roobot incapable to smell, touch, think, dream etc etc.

Add to that, human eyes are too good for any camera system devised by man. Deal with it!
UUU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:14:54 PM
It would also mean that God could download minds easily and be able to stream commands in real time through iCloud.

That's a reductive version of hindu belief.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:23:34 PM
At 9/8/2016 4:11:50 PM, UUU wrote:

Your idea of a 'better' human is nothing more than a roobot incapable to smell, touch, think, dream etc etc.

How could you draw such a conclusion if a Creator made a being or perhaps you are not thinking outside of what you know about robots.

Add to that, human eyes are too good for any camera system devised by man. Deal with it!
Human eyes are vastly inferior to many lenses designed by man in terms of performance, resolution, reliability and longevity.

You may want to check your facts before shooting from the hip.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:33:39 PM

it is a self sustaining planet we live on, predators hunt, it keeps things in balance...

if nothing died it would get awfully full...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:43:37 PM
At 9/8/2016 4:33:39 PM, graceofgod wrote:

it is a self sustaining planet we live on, predators hunt, it keeps things in balance...

So, people should be able to kill other people, because that it keeps things in balance?

The OP is talking about killing, not dying.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 5:01:47 PM
At 9/8/2016 4:43:37 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

So, people should be able to kill other people, because that it keeps things in balance?

i'm not saying people should kill but they do....

dying often occurs from being killed you know!!
rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 5:03:06 PM
At 9/8/2016 4:23:34 PM, Willows wrote:

How could you draw such a conclusion if a Creator made a being or perhaps you are not thinking outside of what you know about robots.

Human eyes are vastly inferior to many lenses designed by man in terms of performance, resolution, reliability and longevity.
You obviously don't know much about human eyes, you should check your facts from those who research the science of sight.
Looncall
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 5:20:26 PM
At 9/8/2016 2:36:11 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/8/2016 2:27:10 PM, Looncall wrote:

Sure, but Jane didn't specify any particular notion of god, so God could be a sadistic entity who created everything for the purpose of watching things suffer.

Also, how do you determine what constitutes "suffering"? I think this entails that which causes pain, anguish, or any form of experience that we find disunpleasurable to the human experience. This includes the suffering inflicted by witnessing another being suffer, via empathy. Would you agree or disagree with this?

I don't buy it.

That's OK. I'm not selling it, anyway. ;)

These attributes were not assumed in this thread. Otherwise, I totally agree.

We agree very well.

If one includes the (to me unbearable to contemplate) suffering in the non-human natural world, the only god that can be conceivable is a malevolent one, as you say.

The blog "Secular Outpost" has an interesting post on this just now.

It boggles my mind that people believe in the Abrahamic god.
The metaphysicist has no laboratory.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 5:24:06 PM

So why do you disbelieve in death?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 6:20:35 PM
At 9/8/2016 5:01:47 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:43:37 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

i'm not saying people should kill but they do....

Why not? You just claimed " it is a self sustaining planet we live on, predators hunt, it keeps things in balance..." Therefore, by your logic, people should kill each other.

dying often occurs from being killed you know!!

Often, by being killed by other people?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 8:41:12 PM

It would be good to notice that in the beginning things were different according to the Bible. All was good, until it got corrupted.

But do you think it is bad to eat for example fruits? Why?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 8:47:31 PM
At 9/8/2016 8:41:12 PM, 12_13 wrote:

It would be good to notice that in the beginning things were different according to the Bible. All was good, until it got corrupted.

Why would God punish all of the natural world as a result of humans' corruption.

But do you think it is bad to eat for example fruits? Why?

No I don't think it's bad to eat fruit. It doesn't hurt the plant. It even helps a plant spread it's seeds.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 9:12:23 PM

Peace does not define light. Only darkness defines light. Without darkness their is no connection established between you and God, only robotic temperments that are nonestablished by conflict and chalkenged. How do you know someone loves you? They sacrificed for you and you for them at some point in your life. You...are...welcome...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 9:14:03 PM
A photosynthetic world would take and establish no sacrifice for others. It would only establish who could be spoiled and just how much that spoiling could incrue.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
freekundli
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:59:51 AM
At 9/8/2016 10:30:32 AM, desmac wrote:

No
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 6:21:10 AM
At 9/8/2016 5:03:06 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 9/8/2016 4:23:34 PM, Willows wrote:

You obviously don't know much about human eyes, you should check your facts from those who research the science of sight.

I did.