Jump to topic:

Slavery and religious irony.

ConserativeDemocrat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 1:10:13 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
You want to know something ironic? When people who are against slavery reparations are devout Christians. Think about why.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 1:16:30 PM
At 9/10/2016 1:10:13 PM, ConserativeDemocrat wrote:
You want to know something ironic? When people who are against slavery reparations are devout Christians. Think about why.

I wouldn't call that ironic. I would call it typical.
bigotry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 1:35:45 PM

Actually it is southern democrats that killed lincolns republican plan for reparations. 40 acres and a mule.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 2:59:09 PM
At 9/10/2016 1:35:45 PM, bigotry wrote:

Actually it is southern democrats that killed lincolns republican plan for reparations. 40 acres and a mule.

In other words, it was one group of Christians following their understanding of the Bible foiling the plans of another group of Christians following a different understanding of the Bible. As was said, not ironic but typical.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:23:14 PM

I thought about it and realized that the entire group of "devout Christians" who are against slavery reparations are all against it for the same reason! One would have thought humans are unique and different, but not "devout Christians". Nooo. One reason for the whole lot.

Is it also ironic that it was basically "devout Christians" who first opposed slavery and who suffered and died opposing it?

No? Doesn't fit your narrative?
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 4:07:56 PM
Looking back at history:

1. Holy Book which explicitly condones the enslavement of others - Bible
2. State religion of the nations that started the slave trade - Christian
3. Religion of those who benefited the most by having and trading slaves - Christian
4. Religion of the primary, most fierce sophisticated apologists of slavery - Christian
5. Religion of some the most prominent white supremacist, openly racist, openly pro-enslavement groups in the West, as of today - Christian
6. Religion of the forum member whose comments about Martin Luther King et al have been borderline racist - Christian

7. Religion of its detractors - Christian.

And then some would have you believe Christianity is the greatest thing since bone marrow on toast.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 2:15:20 AM

Actually, I am a secularist, am very opposed to slavery but I do not support reparations.

Who would pay? Should the descendants of the northerners that died fighting against slavery pay?
What about descendants of people that recently immigrated?
What about the descendants of the people that lived in the south but were opposed slavery?
What about the descendants of slave owners that hate what their ancestors did?

You cant say the government because the taxes are paid mostly by those people. Those people are the tax payers.

Where would the money come from to pay with?
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 6:06:58 PM
At 9/14/2016 4:07:56 PM, Omniverse wrote:
Looking back at history:

3. Religion of those who benefited the most by having and trading slaves - Christian
4. Religion of the primary, most fierce sophisticated apologists of slavery - Christian
5. Religion of some the most prominent white supremacist, openly racist, openly pro-enslavement groups in the West, as of today - Christian
6. Religion of the forum member whose comments about Martin Luther King et al have been borderline racist - Christian

And then some would have you believe Christianity is the greatest thing since bone marrow on toast.

Want to see hypocrisy? Here, enjoy.

1. Holy Book which explicitly condones the enslavement and killing of others - Koran
But the Liberal is quick to tell us that not all Muslims are terrorists. But all Christians are racist. Can we say hypocrite?

2. State religion of the nations that started the slave trade - Animist
Slavery started before there were nations, and before there were Christians, but what does the Liberal see? Now, just say, "Race of the men that started the slave trade - White" And you will see the Liberal suddenly remember that there was black on black slavery before the arrival of the white man. Can we say hypocrite?

3. Religion of those who benefited the most by having and trading slaves - Islam
Even today, most slavery is in Islamic countries. But Liberals love Islam and fear terrorists, so the word for today historical revisionism. Can we say hypocrite?

4. Religion of the primary, most fierce sophisticated apologists of slavery - Islam
But to liberals, multiculturalism is more important than historical truth. Can we say hypocrite?

5. Religion of some the most prominent supremacist, openly racist, anti-semetic, openly pro-enslavement groups in the World, as of today - Islam
But that truth would make the Liberal an islamophope, which is of course, worse than being a boldfaced liar. So its out with the truth. Can we say hypocrite?

I thought we could.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 6:15:44 PM
At 9/20/2016 6:06:58 PM, ethang5 wrote:
Looking back at history:

1. Holy Book which explicitly condones the enslavement and killing of others - Koran
But the Liberal is quick to tell us that not all Muslims are terrorists. But all Christians are racist. Can we say hypocrite?

Slavery started before there were nations, and before there were Christians, but what does the Liberal see? Now, just say, "Race of the men that started the slave trade - White" And you will see the Liberal suddenly remember that there was black on black slavery before the arrival of the white man. Can we say hypocrite?

3. Religion of those who benefited the most by having and trading slaves - Islam
Even today, most slavery is in Islamic countries. But Liberals love Islam and fear terrorists, so the word for today historical revisionism. Can we say hypocrite?

4. Religion of the primary, most fierce sophisticated apologists of slavery - Islam
But to liberals, multiculturalism is more important than historical truth. Can we say hypocrite?

5. Religion of some the most prominent supremacist, openly racist, anti-semetic, openly pro-enslavement groups in the World, as of today - Islam
But that truth would make the Liberal an islamophope, which is of course, worse than being a boldfaced liar. So its out with the truth. Can we say hypocrite?

I thought we could.

Who is this straw man liberal you have created?
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 6:19:45 PM
At 9/20/2016 6:06:58 PM, ethang5 wrote:
Looking back at history:

I thought we could.

+1
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 6:24:06 PM
At 9/15/2016 2:15:20 AM, matt8800 wrote:

Actually, I am a secularist, am very opposed to slavery but I do not support reparations.

Who would pay? Should the descendants of the northerners that died fighting against slavery pay?
What about descendants of people that recently immigrated?
What about the descendants of the people that lived in the south but were opposed slavery?
What about the descendants of slave owners that hate what their ancestors did?

You cant say the government because the taxes are paid mostly by those people. Those people are the tax payers.

Where would the money come from to pay with?

omg would you stop with your facts and logic, don't you know liberals need these issues to feel important and sanctimonious? Come on give them their limelight. Ironic they never thought those "reparations" would directly affect and be coming from the descendants of those slaves lol. Though they would argue only whites would have to pay. Really if they felt so strongly about it, take personal responsibility and give a descendant your home, job and money, start up a collection, you'll feel better.
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 6:25:52 PM
Ethan, you just crack me up.

Just ask seeker or Fati - your soul mate du coeur whose tactics you have begun copycatting as of late - how I feel about the Koran and Islam in general. I have been rather blunt and explicit about it.

Failed jab is failed jab, Ethan.

Etham, please do come back when you realize what an order of magnitude is. Yes, slave trade existed before Western nations did it en masse. For the record, the West is the greatest. West gave us democracy, liberalism and secular humanism. I'm unapologetically pro-West. But poor Ethan, he has a cookie cutter and some spare dough, so all atheists are SWJs and come out shaped like a cookie.

And the most prominent White supremacist groups of today are muslim?! Why that's just hilarious, that the KKK has a green flag flying over their headquarters. Or that the Aryan Nations, arm of the Christian Identity group known as the Church of Jesus Christ, is , eh, Muslim. But Ethan is under the impression that Islam indulging in slave trade excuses Christianity for doing it on a worldwide scale.

That's some trademark Impeccable logic right there.

Lastly, Ethan, are you still facing difficulties using the first person singular, as in "I"?
Darn, tell me. Is it the case you hear voices in your head and they have you writing "we" when you're referencing your personal opinion and your personal opinion alone?

"We" in lieu of "I", the rhetorical device of the feeble-minded.
It just amuses me.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 11:03:41 PM

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 12:07:22 PM
At 9/20/2016 6:25:52 PM, Omniverse wrote:

Ethan, you just crack me up.

You do seem pretty cracked up I must admit.

Just ask seeker or Fati - your soul mate du coeur whose tactics you have begun copycatting as of late - how I feel about the Koran and Islam in general. I have been rather blunt and explicit about it.

Bigots tend not to be aware they are bigots.

It wasn't a jab, but ok. You have a right sleep at night.

Etham, please do come back when you realize what an order of magnitude is. Yes, slave trade existed before Western nations did it en masse. For the record, the West is the greatest.

Islamic nations also did it en masse. They just didn't need boats to transfer their booty to their domains that's all.

West gave us democracy, liberalism and secular humanism. I'm unapologetically pro-West.

You are only "pro west" when it comes to the nonsense of liberalism, secular humanism and the white race. You don't seem to like at all the God on which the "West" was built.

But poor Ethan, he has a cookie cutter and some spare dough, so all atheists are SWJs and come out shaped like a cookie.

If it quacks like a duck.......

It wasn't a jab, but your face deserves saving too...

And the most prominent White supremacist groups of today are muslim?!

You didn't know this because you are holed up in your country and think America is the world. You listen only to CNN and NBC and know nothing of what's happening in the wider world. Is it any wonder most of the world thinks Americans are grossly ignorant?

Why that's just hilarious, that the KKK has a green flag flying over their headquarters.

Or maybe most Arabs see themselves as white and are very racist. But stupidity has not been outlawed yet, so go head.

Or that the Aryan Nations, arm of the Christian Identity group known as the Church of Jesus Christ, is , eh, Muslim.

That is not what I said, but you lack logic so..... I said most racists are Muslim. You are ignorant so you think the 0002% of world population of American racists are all the racist there are. What is funny is that your ignorance doesn't stop you from being militant.

But Ethan is under the impression that Islam indulging in slave trade excuses Christianity for doing it on a worldwide scale.

Nothing excuses slavery. Where you err is claiming that "Christianity" did slavery. Don't worry, we won't ask you to back that up with logic. You believe it so that should be enough.

That's some trademark Impeccable logic right there.

lol. Yes. You would recognize good logic if it bit you on your secular human backside.

Lastly, Ethan, are you still facing difficulties using the first person singular, as in "I"?

Am I still facing difficulties doing what you've commanded me to do? Trick question. I have never found it difficult to ignore your commands. We tend to ignore self appointed internet police.

Darn, tell me. Is it the case you hear voices in your head and they have you writing "we" when you're referencing your personal opinion and your personal opinion alone?

If you had any argument at all, would you be swimming in ad-hom? No one cares what you think of me or how obsessed you are with me. Can you contribute to the topic or not? You can notice I said "we" but miss that I also said your hold contradictory beliefs? Selective hearing?

"We" in lieu of "I", the rhetorical device of the feeble-minded.
It just amuses me.

Yes, you keep telling us of your internal state. No one cares. We come her for intellectual debate. Your amusement is not what we wish to ponder. You grossly overestimate how interesting we find you. Now, get on topic.

Is that fear I smell?