Jump to topic:

I challenge you

harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 7:12:22 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
I have seen a lot of claims about the Tanakh, and I would like to refute them. So if you have a claim about contradictions in the Tanakh, evil verses, sexism, errors, etc. Post your claims here and I will respond with a debunking argument.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:12:30 AM
At 9/11/2016 7:12:22 AM, harrytruman wrote:
I have seen a lot of claims about the Tanakh, and I would like to refute them. So if you have a claim about contradictions in the Tanakh, evil verses, sexism, errors, etc. Post your claims here and I will respond with a debunking argument.

what is the tanakh?
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:34:43 AM
At 9/11/2016 9:12:30 AM, uncung wrote:

what is the tanakh?

Old testament in Hebrew. or "Torah prophets and the writings"
Never fart near dog
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:41:18 AM
At 9/11/2016 9:34:43 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

what is the tanakh?

I thought Old Testament always in Hebrew.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:53:27 AM

i cant imagine somebody really trying to defend the Tanakh.. its impossible lol

Isaiah 7:20
In that day the Lord will shave with a razor that is hired beyond the River"with the king of Assyria"the head and the hair of the feet, and it will sweep away the beard also.

God going to shave ppl's hairs on their body from legs to beard, with a hired razed. thats not mocking God according to u? and do u really believe in this?
Never fart near dog
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:58:26 AM
At 9/11/2016 9:41:18 AM, uncung wrote:

what is the tanakh?

nah christians have a sickness where they changing everything in the "bible"(s)... one of them is changing the names so that it wouldnt be sound in a Hebrew or according to them in an inferior way. for every prophet they twist the name. even for their God "Yahway"or "yesho" they ashame to say that so they invented the "J" thing. it becomes to Jahova and to Jesus. u know sound more europian must better than Hebrew or Arabic names.. its a shame to them.
Never fart near dog
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 2:38:14 PM

what is the tanakh?

It's an abbreviation,
T. orah
N.evi'im
K.etuvim
Tanakh,
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 2:39:17 PM

what is the tanakh?

The Torah given at Sinai+ the writings of the prophets+ the wise writings
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 2:45:06 PM
At 9/11/2016 9:58:26 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 9/11/2016 9:41:18 AM, uncung wrote:

what is the tanakh?

nah christians have a sickness where they changing everything in the "bible"(s)... one of them is changing the names so that it wouldnt be sound in a Hebrew or according to them in an inferior way. for every prophet they twist the name. even for their God "Yahway"or "yesho" they ashame to say that so they invented the "J" thing. it becomes to Jahova and to Jesus. u know sound more europian must better than Hebrew or Arabic names.. its a shame to them.

Actually Jesus is a Greek translation of Yeshua or Joshua in Hebrew, who was a teacher, not the Messiah or the son of G-d. We know this since the book of Matthew was originally written in Hebrew and kept by Nazarene.

And get this, the modern New Testament was compiled by the Catholic Church, they got together at the meeting of nicea to decide what books went into the New Testament, excluding the gospel of Mary and the gospel of Thomas, even adding in and taking away from he texts that they compiled!
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 3:04:07 PM
At 9/11/2016 2:39:17 PM, harrytruman wrote:

what is the tanakh?

good, what is the problem then? believe in what you want to believe. we don't care if it contained contradictions, evil verses, sexism, errors, etc.
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 3:06:26 PM
At 9/11/2016 3:04:07 PM, uncung wrote:
At 9/11/2016 2:39:17 PM, harrytruman wrote:

what is the tanakh?

good, what is the problem then? believe in what you want to believe. we don't care if it contained contradictions, evil verses, sexism, errors, etc.

I don't care that you don't care, I want to disprove these claims.
thedynasty139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 4:18:00 PM

Ok... how do you explain the verses in which Moses and his men are ordered to indiscriminately kill everyone? And also Judah's army when they took 10,000 men and threw them over a cliff? I'm simply interested as to what you're going to say, because every time I present these verses to Christians, their only response is, "Oh, that's just the Old Testament, that doesn't apply to us, we don't believe in it", which opens up a plethora of contradictions they have to deal with.
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 4:58:47 PM
At 9/11/2016 4:18:00 PM, thedynasty139 wrote:

Ok... how do you explain the verses in which Moses and his men are ordered to indiscriminately kill everyone? And also Judah's army when they took 10,000 men and threw them over a cliff? I'm simply interested as to what you're going to say, because every time I present these verses to Christians, their only response is, "Oh, that's just the Old Testament, that doesn't apply to us, we don't believe in it", which opens up a plethora of contradictions they have to deal with.

Where are those verses?
thedynasty139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 5:07:35 PM
At 9/11/2016 4:58:47 PM, harrytruman wrote:

Where are those verses?

Numbers 31:17-18, "Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."

Samuel 15:3, "Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.'"

2 Chronicles 25:12, "The army of Judah also captured ten thousand men alive, took them to the top of a cliff and threw them down so that all were dashed to pieces."
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 8:57:36 PM
At 9/11/2016 5:07:35 PM, thedynasty139 wrote:
At 9/11/2016 4:58:47 PM, harrytruman wrote:

Where are those verses?

Numbers 31:17-18, "Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."

Samuel 15:3, "Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.'"

2 Chronicles 25:12, "The army of Judah also captured ten thousand men alive, took them to the top of a cliff and threw them down so that all were dashed to pieces."

Here's for the first one, I will do the rest later:
https://docs.google.com...
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:15:38 PM

We see these type of threads every once in a while. Typically, the defender of religious text X will explain away obvious flaws with an appeal to their own authority and some sort of re-interpretation of the words. Generally, the only person who is convinced is the defender or others who already share his view - it's a waste of time to everyone else.

Although, the OP does make me wonder: Do you think it impossible for the Tanakh to be flawed and, if so, why?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:22:18 PM
We see these type of threads every once in a while. Typically, the defender of religious text X will explain away obvious flaws with an appeal to their own authority and some sort of re-interpretation of the words. Generally, the only person who is convinced is the defender or others who already share his view - it's a waste of time to everyone else.

But they don't study Hebrew do they? Besides, if you see an issue with my translations you can point it out.

Although, the OP does make me wonder: Do you think it impossible for the Tanakh to be flawed and, if so, why?

The OP? It depends on what you mean by flawed and where the supposed error is. If by flawed you man ambiguous and hard to understand then it is possible for this to occuer in the Nevi'im or maybe the Ketuvim, if you mean a contradiction then it is possible for this to occur in the Ketuvim but not the Torah or Nevi'im, this is because they all have different origins and basis for their authority.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:32:52 PM
At 9/11/2016 9:22:18 PM, harrytruman wrote:

But they don't study Hebrew do they?

They might. Disagreement doesn't always point to lack of knowledge.

Besides, if you see an issue with my translations you can point it out.

As stated above, I consider it to be a waste of time. I'm much more interested in your answer below.

The OP?

= Original post

It depends on what you mean by flawed and where the supposed error is. If by flawed you man ambiguous and hard to understand then it is possible for this to occuer in the Nevi'im or maybe the Ketuvim, if you mean a contradiction then it is possible for this to occur in the Ketuvim but not the Torah or Nevi'im, this is because they all have different origins and basis for their authority.

Forgive me, but aren't these all part of the Tanakh? (per your explanation here: http://www.debate.org...) If so, haven't you just admitted your defense against "contradictions in the Tanakh, evil verses, sexism, errors, etc" is ultimately doomed to fail?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:42:46 PM
At 9/11/2016 9:32:52 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

As stated above, I consider it to be a waste of time. I'm much more interested in your answer below.

The OP?

= Original post

It depends on what you mean by flawed and where the supposed error is. If by flawed you man ambiguous and hard to understand then it is possible for this to occuer in the Nevi'im or maybe the Ketuvim, if you mean a contradiction then it is possible for this to occur in the Ketuvim but not the Torah or Nevi'im, this is because they all have different origins and basis for their authority.

Forgive me, but aren't these all part of the Tanakh? (per your explanation here: http://www.debate.org...) If so, haven't you just admitted your defense against "contradictions in the Tanakh, evil verses, sexism, errors, etc" is ultimately doomed to fail?

No, I said it wouldn't disprove the Ketuvim that it contradicts since it is the words of men who had divine inspiration behind their words, and men make errors. The Torah is the only part which was written by G-d and fell from the sky basically. The Nevi'im is the words of G-d, but are given in riddles and dreams so they aren't going to be completely unambiguous.

And even if you're right it would only work for contradictions which don't exist, I only said that if they did exist in the Ketuvim this wouldn't disprove it.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:50:44 PM
At 9/11/2016 9:42:46 PM, harrytruman wrote:
At 9/11/2016 9:32:52 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

The OP?

= Original post

No, I said it wouldn't disprove the Ketuvim that it contradicts since it is the words of men who had divine inspiration behind their words, and men make errors. The Torah is the only part which was written by G-d and fell from the sky basically. The Nevi'im is the words of G-d, but are given in riddles and dreams so they aren't going to be completely unambiguous.

And even if you're right it would only work for contradictions which don't exist, I only said that if they did exist in the Ketuvim this wouldn't disprove it.

"I have seen a lot of claims about the Tanakh, and I would like to refute them. So if you have a claim about contradictions in the Tanakh, evil verses, sexism, errors, etc. Post your claims here and I will respond with a debunking argument."

http://www.debate.org...

harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 10:45:10 PM

"I have seen a lot of claims about the Tanakh, and I would like to refute them. So if you have a claim about contradictions in the Tanakh, evil verses, sexism, errors, etc. Post your claims here and I will respond with a debunking argument."

http://www.debate.org...

I said that I will disprove supposed contradictions and that there aren't any, not that if there were contradictions in the Ketuvim it would disprove it.