Total Posts:62|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Questions About Atheism, Anyone?

ANON_TacTiX
Posts: 460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 12:21:35 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this thread. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this thread are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now for the topic at hand. Honestly, I am just wondering if anyone has any questions about atheism. There are a lot of people out there that seem to get the wrong idea about atheists and our beliefs (or lack thereof). I would like to clear up any confusion that anyone may have and answer their questions to the best of my ability.

I am not claiming to be able to speak for all atheists.

Don't know why I just thought of this, but I think that it is funny. Just remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. I can't even remember where I read that, but I love it.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 7:32:15 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/11/2016 3:35:03 PM, difference wrote:
Isn't most atheism reactionary?

Reactionary to what?

I suppose it might be considered reactionary in that an "a-Mormon" might not own a belief that Mormonism is true.
difference
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 10:07:56 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/11/2016 7:32:15 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 9/11/2016 3:35:03 PM, difference wrote:
Isn't most atheism reactionary?

Reactionary to what?

I suppose it might be considered reactionary in that an "a-Mormon" might not own a belief that Mormonism is true.

That's pretty much what I meant. In reaction to something in their faith that makes then stop believing
Skeptical1
Posts: 697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 10:46:18 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Don't know why I just thought of this, but I think that it is funny. Just remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. I can't even remember where I read that, but I love it.

I'm not sure which came first, but it's very similar to a scene from Life of Brian:

Brian: "You're all individuals".
Crowd (in unison): "Yes! We're all individuals!"
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 1:43:39 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/11/2016 10:07:56 PM, difference wrote:
At 9/11/2016 7:32:15 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 9/11/2016 3:35:03 PM, difference wrote:
Isn't most atheism reactionary?

Reactionary to what?

I suppose it might be considered reactionary in that an "a-Mormon" might not own a belief that Mormonism is true.

That's pretty much what I meant. In reaction to something in their faith that makes then stop believing

If one was never taught any of the religions, what would they be reacting to?

Not everybody stops believing religious claims of an interventionist god and divine revelation. Some people were never taught a religion in the first place.

I assume you are not a Mormon. What would you say your non-belief in Mormonism is a reaction to?

If a Mormon decides that Mormonism claims of being the one true religion are not credible and decides to leave the religion, what is he reacting to?
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 1:59:47 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/11/2016 10:46:18 PM, Skeptical1 wrote:
Don't know why I just thought of this, but I think that it is funny. Just remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. I can't even remember where I read that, but I love it.

I'm not sure which came first, but it's very similar to a scene from Life of Brian:

Brian: "You're all individuals".
Crowd (in unison): "Yes! We're all individuals!"

Reminds me of an essay I once read about how the "neo-culturalists" were all conforming to non-conformism so everyone avoid becoming conformists.
difference
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 4:55:34 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 1:43:39 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 9/11/2016 10:07:56 PM, difference wrote:
At 9/11/2016 7:32:15 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 9/11/2016 3:35:03 PM, difference wrote:
Isn't most atheism reactionary?

Reactionary to what?

I suppose it might be considered reactionary in that an "a-Mormon" might not own a belief that Mormonism is true.

That's pretty much what I meant. In reaction to something in their faith that makes then stop believing

If one was never taught any of the religions, what would they be reacting to?

Nothing
Not everybody stops believing religious claims of an interventionist god and divine revelation. Some people were never taught a religion in the first place.

I assume you are not a Mormon. What would you say your non-belief in Mormonism is a reaction to?

Nothing
If a Mormon decides that Mormonism claims of being the one true religion are not credible and decides to leave the religion, what is he reacting to?

I'd think something about Mormonism but I get your point now.
zaarbuc
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 6:25:40 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/11/2016 10:07:56 PM, difference wrote:
At 9/11/2016 7:32:15 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 9/11/2016 3:35:03 PM, difference wrote:
Isn't most atheism reactionary?

Reactionary to what?

I suppose it might be considered reactionary in that an "a-Mormon" might not own a belief that Mormonism is true.

That's pretty much what I meant. In reaction to something in their faith that makes then stop believing

Atheism is the default, all children are born atheist. It is religious belief that is reactionary. A reaction to being taught religion.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 5:00:11 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
How do you define your position as an atheist? Do you merely lack belief in God or do you disbelieve in God?

If you disbelieve in God, what evidence do you have that God doesn't exist?

Do you believe that moral truths exist?

Where do you think everything came from?

Do you think consciousness is derivative from matter?

Do you think that all values, ideals, and purposes are completely subjective?

Do you think that our perceptions of reality are accurate?
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 5:10:35 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 5:00:11 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
How do you define your position as an atheist? Do you merely lack belief in God or do you disbelieve in God?

I lack belief in your God or any of the other thousands of gods and goddesses that men have created.

If you disbelieve in God, what evidence do you have that God doesn't exist?

What proof do you have that Zeus, Brahma, and Ahura Mazda do not exist? Same answer.

Do you believe that moral truths exist?

Define 'moral truth'.

Where do you think everything came from?

From natural processes.

Do you think consciousness is derivative from matter?

Yes.

Do you think that all values, ideals, and purposes are completely subjective?

Yes.

Do you think that our perceptions of reality are accurate?

That depends on the individual.
ANON_TacTiX
Posts: 460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 7:15:38 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/11/2016 3:35:03 PM, difference wrote:
Isn't most atheism reactionary?

Sorry, I'm not quite sure I know what you mean.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
ANON_TacTiX
Posts: 460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 7:16:10 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/11/2016 10:46:18 PM, Skeptical1 wrote:
Don't know why I just thought of this, but I think that it is funny. Just remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. I can't even remember where I read that, but I love it.

I'm not sure which came first, but it's very similar to a scene from Life of Brian:

Brian: "You're all individuals".
Crowd (in unison): "Yes! We're all individuals!"
Love that movie.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
ANON_TacTiX
Posts: 460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 7:20:06 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 6:25:40 AM, zaarbuc wrote:
At 9/11/2016 10:07:56 PM, difference wrote:
At 9/11/2016 7:32:15 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 9/11/2016 3:35:03 PM, difference wrote:
Isn't most atheism reactionary?

Reactionary to what?

I suppose it might be considered reactionary in that an "a-Mormon" might not own a belief that Mormonism is true.

That's pretty much what I meant. In reaction to something in their faith that makes then stop believing

Atheism is the default, all children are born atheist. It is religious belief that is reactionary. A reaction to being taught religion.
No, all kids are not born atheists. They haven't put any thought into it yet. They don't even know what religion is yet. It is kind of insulting to put all atheists on the same level as a newborn that can't even grasp what atheism or religion are yet.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 9:35:10 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/11/2016 12:21:35 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this thread. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this thread are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now for the topic at hand. Honestly, I am just wondering if anyone has any questions about atheism. There are a lot of people out there that seem to get the wrong idea about atheists and our beliefs (or lack thereof). I would like to clear up any confusion that anyone may have and answer their questions to the best of my ability.

I am not claiming to be able to speak for all atheists.

Don't know why I just thought of this, but I think that it is funny. Just remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. I can't even remember where I read that, but I love it.

Is it true that the school of Atheism has all the answers to the origins to life? If so, what up with the signature that says to keep on questioning? Shouldn't it say instead something like science without religion is blind? Maybe it was the other way around. Ugh. Too many questions and not enough atheists. Good thing you're here. I need hep. Einstein says the universe is too complex to be an accident. What up with that? Let's start there. Wrong? or right?
Skeptical1
Posts: 697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 10:27:26 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 9:35:10 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 9/11/2016 12:21:35 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this thread. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this thread are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now for the topic at hand. Honestly, I am just wondering if anyone has any questions about atheism. There are a lot of people out there that seem to get the wrong idea about atheists and our beliefs (or lack thereof). I would like to clear up any confusion that anyone may have and answer their questions to the best of my ability.

I am not claiming to be able to speak for all atheists.

Don't know why I just thought of this, but I think that it is funny. Just remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. I can't even remember where I read that, but I love it.

Is it true that the school of Atheism has all the answers to the origins to life? If so, what up with the signature that says to keep on questioning? Shouldn't it say instead something like science without religion is blind? Maybe it was the other way around. Ugh. Too many questions and not enough atheists. Good thing you're here. I need hep. Einstein says the universe is too complex to be an accident. What up with that? Let's start there. Wrong? or right?

Can anyone jump in here? I don't believe that's correct. However, if you can point to where he said it, I'll admit to being wrong. Perhaps you mean his "God doesn't play dice with the universe" quote?
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 11:23:36 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 10:27:26 PM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 9/12/2016 9:35:10 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 9/11/2016 12:21:35 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this thread. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this thread are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now for the topic at hand. Honestly, I am just wondering if anyone has any questions about atheism. There are a lot of people out there that seem to get the wrong idea about atheists and our beliefs (or lack thereof). I would like to clear up any confusion that anyone may have and answer their questions to the best of my ability.

I am not claiming to be able to speak for all atheists.

Don't know why I just thought of this, but I think that it is funny. Just remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. I can't even remember where I read that, but I love it.

Is it true that the school of Atheism has all the answers to the origins to life? If so, what up with the signature that says to keep on questioning? Shouldn't it say instead something like science without religion is blind? Maybe it was the other way around. Ugh. Too many questions and not enough atheists. Good thing you're here. I need hep. Einstein says the universe is too complex to be an accident. What up with that? Let's start there. Wrong? or right?

Can anyone jump in here? I don't believe that's correct. However, if you can point to where he said it, I'll admit to being wrong. Perhaps you mean his "God doesn't play dice with the universe" quote?

What part do you think is not correct?
Skeptical1
Posts: 697
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 11:28:17 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 11:23:36 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 9/12/2016 10:27:26 PM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 9/12/2016 9:35:10 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 9/11/2016 12:21:35 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this thread. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this thread are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now for the topic at hand. Honestly, I am just wondering if anyone has any questions about atheism. There are a lot of people out there that seem to get the wrong idea about atheists and our beliefs (or lack thereof). I would like to clear up any confusion that anyone may have and answer their questions to the best of my ability.

I am not claiming to be able to speak for all atheists.

Don't know why I just thought of this, but I think that it is funny. Just remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. I can't even remember where I read that, but I love it.

Is it true that the school of Atheism has all the answers to the origins to life? If so, what up with the signature that says to keep on questioning? Shouldn't it say instead something like science without religion is blind? Maybe it was the other way around. Ugh. Too many questions and not enough atheists. Good thing you're here. I need hep. Einstein says the universe is too complex to be an accident. What up with that? Let's start there. Wrong? or right?

Can anyone jump in here? I don't believe that's correct. However, if you can point to where he said it, I'll admit to being wrong. Perhaps you mean his "God doesn't play dice with the universe" quote?

What part do you think is not correct?

The claim about Einstein. If you want to have an argument about something someone didn't say, that's just weird.
Casten
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 11:53:52 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 9:35:10 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

Is it true that the school of Atheism has all the answers to the origins to life? If so, what up with the signature that says to keep on questioning? Shouldn't it say instead something like science without religion is blind? Maybe it was the other way around. Ugh. Too many questions and not enough atheists. Good thing you're here. I need hep. Einstein says the universe is too complex to be an accident. What up with that? Let's start there. Wrong? or right?

You'll need to supply the exact Einstein quote you're referring to that espouses this belief. I'm not familiar with it. It's important to know exactly what he says and to take his statements in context. Because he is such an esteemed authority, many have attempted to gain quick credibility by wrapping themselves in the cloak of Einsteinian thought, sometimes misunderstanding or misappropriating his views.

As to your other questions:

Atheism only answers whether the atheist believes in a God or gods. It addresses no other questions.

However, it is very common for atheists to support science, and science does answer how life evolved on this planet. Science does not answer what came before our universe, or what caused its existence. In this way, no: science does not claim to have all the "origin" answers. Science is ever learning.

My guess is that the creator of this thread is an atheist who supports a questioning attitude toward the universe, thus the sig.

There is an Einstein quote that goes, "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." Perhaps that is what you're referring to. I'm not sure I understand why you think the thread's creator should use that quote instead. There's no conflict between his current quote and atheism.
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 12:28:28 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 11:53:52 PM, Casten wrote:
At 9/12/2016 9:35:10 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

Is it true that the school of Atheism has all the answers to the origins to life? If so, what up with the signature that says to keep on questioning? Shouldn't it say instead something like science without religion is blind? Maybe it was the other way around. Ugh. Too many questions and not enough atheists. Good thing you're here. I need hep. Einstein says the universe is too complex to be an accident. What up with that? Let's start there. Wrong? or right?

You'll need to supply the exact Einstein quote you're referring to that espouses this belief. I'm not familiar with it. It's important to know exactly what he says and to take his statements in context. Because he is such an esteemed authority, many have attempted to gain quick credibility by wrapping themselves in the cloak of Einsteinian thought, sometimes misunderstanding or misappropriating his views.

As to your other questions:

Atheism only answers whether the atheist believes in a God or gods. It addresses no other questions.

However, it is very common for atheists to support science, and science does answer how life evolved on this planet. Science does not answer what came before our universe, or what caused its existence. In this way, no: science does not claim to have all the "origin" answers. Science is ever learning.

My guess is that the creator of this thread is an atheist who supports a questioning attitude toward the universe, thus the sig.

There is an Einstein quote that goes, "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." Perhaps that is what you're referring to.

Yep. That's the one. Whether the mistake was made on purpose or not doesn't matter when I'm sitting behind that girl who always has each day an apple for teacher, sitting front and center with her hand raised high to ever damn question, going" I know, I know". It's like give it a rest already babe. I'm sitting backrow for a good reason so I can get some freakin' sleep. And seriously, me riding the credentials of Einstein(?) Hillarious. If I ever need confirmation to whether the gods exist or not, I'll just go ask them directly. Hehe. Funny girl saying funny thing, and she doesn't even have a sense of humor. Nice play to make a case for coincidence.


I'm not sure I understand why you think the thread's creator should use that quote instead. There's no conflict between his current quote and atheism.
Casten
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:03:30 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/13/2016 12:28:28 AM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 9/12/2016 11:53:52 PM, Casten wrote:
At 9/12/2016 9:35:10 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

Is it true that the school of Atheism has all the answers to the origins to life? If so, what up with the signature that says to keep on questioning? Shouldn't it say instead something like science without religion is blind? Maybe it was the other way around. Ugh. Too many questions and not enough atheists. Good thing you're here. I need hep. Einstein says the universe is too complex to be an accident. What up with that? Let's start there. Wrong? or right?

You'll need to supply the exact Einstein quote you're referring to that espouses this belief. I'm not familiar with it. It's important to know exactly what he says and to take his statements in context. Because he is such an esteemed authority, many have attempted to gain quick credibility by wrapping themselves in the cloak of Einsteinian thought, sometimes misunderstanding or misappropriating his views.

As to your other questions:

Atheism only answers whether the atheist believes in a God or gods. It addresses no other questions.

However, it is very common for atheists to support science, and science does answer how life evolved on this planet. Science does not answer what came before our universe, or what caused its existence. In this way, no: science does not claim to have all the "origin" answers. Science is ever learning.

My guess is that the creator of this thread is an atheist who supports a questioning attitude toward the universe, thus the sig.

There is an Einstein quote that goes, "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." Perhaps that is what you're referring to.

Yep. That's the one. Whether the mistake was made on purpose or not doesn't matter when I'm sitting behind that girl who always has each day an apple for teacher, sitting front and center with her hand raised high to ever damn question, going" I know, I know". It's like give it a rest already babe. I'm sitting backrow for a good reason so I can get some freakin' sleep. And seriously, me riding the credentials of Einstein(?) Hillarious. If I ever need confirmation to whether the gods exist or not, I'll just go ask them directly. Hehe. Funny girl saying funny thing, and she doesn't even have a sense of humor. Nice play to make a case for coincidence.


I'm not sure I understand why you think the thread's creator should use that quote instead. There's no conflict between his current quote and atheism.

From your general posts, it sounds like you've been getting your weed from Ray Ray. I know Ray Ray and you need to start buying from another guy because he laces his stuff with dust taken from the wings of schizophrenic faeries on cocaine and LSD. By faeries I mean like Tinkerbell. Schizophrenic Tinkerbell on stimulants and hallucinogens. It's pretty clear that it's in your system. You'll probably come down in like eight days or so if you drink plenty of fluids. Until then, turn off all your social media devices, don't make any major decisions, and remember that you can't actually taste colors or touch smells, it just tastes/feels/seems that way.
ANON_TacTiX
Posts: 460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:06:13 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 5:00:11 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
How do you define your position as an atheist? Do you merely lack belief in God or do you disbelieve in God?
I disbelieve in God.
If you disbelieve in God, what evidence do you have that God doesn't exist?
First and foremost, it is scientifically impossible for a being like God to exist within our universe. If God does exist, he exists outside of our universe and therefore has no effect on how the universe evolves. So even if God exists, he may as well not, because his existence would have zero consequence on our universe and how it works.

Also, science has consistently helped us to explain the universe and how it works. Science is governed by simple, objective, unchanging laws, and one cannot change them to fit their beliefs (although, some people try). Religion, however, has not aided in our explanation of our universe. It has been changed and twisted thousands of times, and it still is. Religion does not provide us with definitive evidence or proof for its claims. It just gives an explanation, and people follow without question. For that reason, I trust science, not God.

I do have more evidence and reason for my views, but I don't want this post to be too long. I cannot, however provide proof. There is no proof that God does not exist, and neither is there proof the other way.
Do you believe that moral truths exist?
I believe that morality exists, but not objective moral truths. Morality is subjective.
Where do you think everything came from?
No clue. Science hasn't given us an answer for that yet, and I don't think that it ever will.
Do you think consciousness is derivative from matter?
I believe that our brain is an extremely complex organ and that it is where our consciousness comes from. Once that dies, you are gone. I do not think that random pieces of matter can gain consciousness. Basically, I do not believe in the soul.
Do you think that all values, ideals, and purposes are completely subjective?
Yes.
Do you think that our perceptions of reality are accurate?
I would hope so, but the truth is that we may never know. The human experience is, in itself, flawed. I do believe that we have a relatively accurate picture of the universe and how it works, but I accept the fact that we could be wrong. Just like I accept the possibility that some god exists, however remote.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
ANON_TacTiX
Posts: 460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:23:00 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 9:35:10 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 9/11/2016 12:21:35 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this thread. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this thread are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now for the topic at hand. Honestly, I am just wondering if anyone has any questions about atheism. There are a lot of people out there that seem to get the wrong idea about atheists and our beliefs (or lack thereof). I would like to clear up any confusion that anyone may have and answer their questions to the best of my ability.

I am not claiming to be able to speak for all atheists.

Don't know why I just thought of this, but I think that it is funny. Just remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. I can't even remember where I read that, but I love it.

Is it true that the school of Atheism has all the answers to the origins to life?
I never said that atheism has all of the answers, and I don't think that many other atheists make that claim, either. Also, I don't think that there is a school of atheism.
If so, what up with the signature that says to keep on questioning?
I like the signature because that is how I try to live. Never stop questioning. That is basically that motto for atheists.
Shouldn't it say instead something like science without religion is blind? Maybe it was the other way around. Ugh. Too many questions and not enough atheists. Good thing you're here. I need hep. Einstein says the universe is too complex to be an accident. What up with that?
Einstein was not an atheist. He was Jewish. He did believe in God, but he hated religion and personal gods. He hated authority and people telling others how to live. That is also why he didn't like school. By the way, no he did not fail math.
Let's start there. Wrong? or right?
Personally, i don't think that the universe's complexity is reason to believe that there must have been a creator. I wouldn't describe it as an accident. Just fantastic odds. calling 13 and then rolling 13 on a twenty sided die is not quite an accident. I will not go so far as to say that Einstein was wrong. I do accept the possibility, however remote, that there was a Creator. To be 100% certain about your opinions or beliefs is ignorance and arrogance.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
zaarbuc
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:31:32 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 5:00:11 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
How do you define your position as an atheist? Do you merely lack belief in God or do you disbelieve in God?

I lack belief in any God or gods.

If you disbelieve in God, what evidence do you have that God doesn't exist?
I don't have any evidence that leprechauns don't exist either, does that mean I should start believing in them?

Do you believe that moral truths exist?

I believe they certainly do not come from any gods; lest of all the genocidal, sexist, slavery endorsing monster of mythology that is the Abrahamic God.

Where do you think everything came from?

The Big Bang, Abiogenesis, Evolution, Physics, Biology, Science

Do you think consciousness is derivative from matter?

Yes

Do you think that all values, ideals, and purposes are completely subjective?

Again even if they aren't there is no need to bring gods into the equation.

Do you think that our perceptions of reality are accurate?

Relatively, I think it is unlikely we are all living inside the Matrix for example, but then that is exactly what the machines want us to think.
zaarbuc
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:39:45 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 9:35:10 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 9/11/2016 12:21:35 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this thread. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this thread are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now for the topic at hand. Honestly, I am just wondering if anyone has any questions about atheism. There are a lot of people out there that seem to get the wrong idea about atheists and our beliefs (or lack thereof). I would like to clear up any confusion that anyone may have and answer their questions to the best of my ability.

I am not claiming to be able to speak for all atheists.

Don't know why I just thought of this, but I think that it is funny. Just remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. I can't even remember where I read that, but I love it.

Is it true that the school of Atheism has all the answers to the origins to life? If so, what up with the signature that says to keep on questioning? Shouldn't it say instead something like science without religion is blind? Maybe it was the other way around. Ugh. Too many questions and not enough atheists. Good thing you're here. I need hep. Einstein says the universe is too complex to be an accident. What up with that? Let's start there. Wrong? or right?

As previously commented, atheism is only the lack of belief in any God or gods. It answers no other questions. Most atheist do believe in science. Science does not claim to have all the answers and may never have all the answers. Once of the key principles of science is to continually question. Questioning is an important part of how we learn. Compare that to most religions which teach never to question. Simply because something is not an accident does not imply "God did it".
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 2:08:25 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 7:20:06 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
At 9/12/2016 6:25:40 AM, zaarbuc wrote:
At 9/11/2016 10:07:56 PM, difference wrote:
At 9/11/2016 7:32:15 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 9/11/2016 3:35:03 PM, difference wrote:
Isn't most atheism reactionary?

Reactionary to what?

I suppose it might be considered reactionary in that an "a-Mormon" might not own a belief that Mormonism is true.

That's pretty much what I meant. In reaction to something in their faith that makes then stop believing

Atheism is the default, all children are born atheist. It is religious belief that is reactionary. A reaction to being taught religion.
No, all kids are not born atheists. They haven't put any thought into it yet. They don't even know what religion is yet. It is kind of insulting to put all atheists on the same level as a newborn that can't even grasp what atheism or religion are yet.

I think he is referring to "soft" atheists which do not own a belief in a religion versus owning a belief that a god does not exist ("hard" atheist).
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 2:14:14 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 9:35:10 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 9/11/2016 12:21:35 PM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST ON THE THREAD

First, I would like to welcome everyone to this thread. I hope that you find the discussion interesting and stimulating. I would ask that all that post in this thread are respectful and polite to others in the forum. No insults or name calling please. I ask this because I have seen many an interesting debate be ruined by insults, and I do not want that to happen to this forum. I want this to be a place where people can come to exchange ideas and opinions freely. Thank you.

Now for the topic at hand. Honestly, I am just wondering if anyone has any questions about atheism. There are a lot of people out there that seem to get the wrong idea about atheists and our beliefs (or lack thereof). I would like to clear up any confusion that anyone may have and answer their questions to the best of my ability.

I am not claiming to be able to speak for all atheists.

Don't know why I just thought of this, but I think that it is funny. Just remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. I can't even remember where I read that, but I love it.

Is it true that the school of Atheism has all the answers to the origins to life? If so, what up with the signature that says to keep on questioning? Shouldn't it say instead something like science without religion is blind?

If I held up a jar full of jelly beans and you told me there were exactly 9429 jelly beans, I would disagree. Not because I know how many but because there is no way for you to know either.

Maybe it was the other way around. Ugh. Too many questions and not enough atheists. Good thing you're here. I need hep. Einstein says the universe is too complex to be an accident. What up with that? Let's start there. Wrong? or right?

Einstein was a Deist/Pantheist. I'm in the middle of atheism and deism/pantheism. There is no way to know but I think either world view is reasonable.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 2:19:19 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/13/2016 1:23:00 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

Never stop questioning. That is basically that motto for atheists.

I used to be a theist with that motto. Now, I am an atheist with a slight deistic leaning.

If one questions, and expects reasonable answers, there is no way to remain a theist.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 2:46:53 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/13/2016 1:06:13 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:
At 9/12/2016 5:00:11 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
How do you define your position as an atheist? Do you merely lack belief in God or do you disbelieve in God?
I disbelieve in God.
If you disbelieve in God, what evidence do you have that God doesn't exist?
First and foremost, it is scientifically impossible for a being like God to exist within our universe. If God does exist, he exists outside of our universe and therefore has no effect on how the universe evolves. So even if God exists, he may as well not, because his existence would have zero consequence on our universe and how it works.

Does anything which is scientifically impossible exist? What does it mean to be scientifically impossible?

Also, science has consistently helped us to explain the universe and how it works. Science is governed by simple, objective, unchanging laws, and one cannot change them to fit their beliefs (although, some people try). Religion, however, has not aided in our explanation of our universe. It has been changed and twisted thousands of times, and it still is. Religion does not provide us with definitive evidence or proof for its claims. It just gives an explanation, and people follow without question. For that reason, I trust science, not God.

Isn't this more a matter of science vs. religion than science vs. God?

I do have more evidence and reason for my views, but I don't want this post to be too long. I cannot, however provide proof. There is no proof that God does not exist, and neither is there proof the other way.

Isn't it a rationally unjustifiable position to disbelieve something based on a lack of evidence? If somebody asserted "aliens exist" without evidence isn't it irrational to believe that the proposition is therefore false?

Do you believe that moral truths exist?
I believe that morality exists, but not objective moral truths. Morality is subjective.

so it's possible that raping infants could be morally good? Or punishing an innocent person could be morally righteous?

Where do you think everything came from?
No clue. Science hasn't given us an answer for that yet, and I don't think that it ever will.

Everything either came from something or nothing. Right?

Do you think consciousness is derivative from matter?
I believe that our brain is an extremely complex organ and that it is where our consciousness comes from. Once that dies, you are gone. I do not think that random pieces of matter can gain consciousness. Basically, I do not believe in the soul.

Does anything metaphysical exist?

Do you think that all values, ideals, and purposes are completely subjective?
Yes.

So being intelligent, beautiful, powerful, healthy, and virtuous is actually no better or worse in comparison to being dimwitted, repugnant, weak, diseased, and immoral?

Do you think that our perceptions of reality are accurate?
I would hope so, but the truth is that we may never know. The human experience is, in itself, flawed. I do believe that we have a relatively accurate picture of the universe and how it works, but I accept the fact that we could be wrong. Just like I accept the possibility that some god exists, however remote.

What makes you believe that our picture of the universe is relatively accurate?
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 2:48:27 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/13/2016 2:19:19 AM, matt8800 wrote:
At 9/13/2016 1:23:00 AM, ANON_TacTiX wrote:

Never stop questioning. That is basically that motto for atheists.

I used to be a theist with that motto. Now, I am an atheist with a slight deistic leaning.

If one questions, and expects reasonable answers, there is no way to remain a theist.

I disagree. I believe theism is also for people who question and expect reasonable answers.