Total Posts:191|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

taze russel and the pyramids...

graceofgod
Posts: 5,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 1:11:14 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
he was fascinated by the pyramids and claimed they held many mysteries , it is believed he calculated the end of the world from knowledge he gained from the pyramids...

it seems he was quite wrong...
Willows
Posts: 2,031
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 2:57:28 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 1:11:14 PM, graceofgod wrote:
he was fascinated by the pyramids and claimed they held many mysteries , it is believed he calculated the end of the world from knowledge he gained from the pyramids...

it seems he was quite wrong...

Never mind about the pyramids, this lunatic was responsible for founding one of the most hideous, obscene institutions ever.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 4:49:10 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 2:57:28 PM, Willows wrote:
At 9/12/2016 1:11:14 PM, graceofgod wrote:
he was fascinated by the pyramids and claimed they held many mysteries , it is believed he calculated the end of the world from knowledge he gained from the pyramids...

it seems he was quite wrong...

Never mind about the pyramids, this lunatic was responsible for founding one of the most hideous, obscene institutions ever.

that's a very good point....
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 5:24:06 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 1:11:14 PM, graceofgod wrote:
he was fascinated by the pyramids and claimed they held many mysteries , it is believed he calculated the end of the world from knowledge he gained from the pyramids...

it seems he was quite wrong...

Just another religious nutter.
Artaxerxes
Posts: 181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 5:37:39 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 1:11:14 PM, graceofgod wrote:
he was fascinated by the pyramids and claimed they held many mysteries , it is believed he calculated the end of the world from knowledge he gained from the pyramids...

it seems he was quite wrong...
Indeed, he was wrong. He readily admitted to it. He had a false understanding of Isaiah 19:19, 20. However, it should be noted that the idea was not unique to him. There were many people at that time who held similar beliefs about the pyramids.
IRONHIDE
Posts: 326
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 6:14:39 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 5:37:39 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/12/2016 1:11:14 PM, graceofgod wrote:
he was fascinated by the pyramids and claimed they held many mysteries , it is believed he calculated the end of the world from knowledge he gained from the pyramids...

it seems he was quite wrong...
Indeed, he was wrong. He readily admitted to it. He had a false understanding of Isaiah 19:19, 20. However, it should be noted that the idea was not unique to him. There were many people at that time who held similar beliefs about the pyramids.

Agreed. It also take a man of integrity to readily admit to a wrong. In which I believe Russel to have been a man of integrity. I of course, recently becoming a baptized JW, and married to a life long JW. Although, there are some teachings I still question....and feel the watchtower does not yet have complete understanding of biblical truth in all its teaching and will receive "new light" in time, as they term it. However, they are most accurate compared to most out there.
Artaxerxes
Posts: 181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 6:19:06 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 6:14:39 PM, IRONHIDE wrote:

Agreed. It also take a man of integrity to readily admit to a wrong. In which I believe Russel to have been a man of integrity. I of course, recently becoming a baptized JW, and married to a life long JW. Although, there are some teachings I still question....and feel the watchtower does not yet have complete understanding of biblical truth in all its teaching and will receive "new light" in time, as they term it. However, they are most accurate compared to most out there.
I am glad to hear that you have become a baptized Witness. If you ever have any questions or concerns regarding the Watchtower teachings or workings, let me know through a private message on here.
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 8:55:26 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 6:14:39 PM, IRONHIDE wrote:
At 9/12/2016 5:37:39 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/12/2016 1:11:14 PM, graceofgod wrote:
he was fascinated by the pyramids and claimed they held many mysteries , it is believed he calculated the end of the world from knowledge he gained from the pyramids...

it seems he was quite wrong...
Indeed, he was wrong. He readily admitted to it. He had a false understanding of Isaiah 19:19, 20. However, it should be noted that the idea was not unique to him. There were many people at that time who held similar beliefs about the pyramids.

Agreed. It also take a man of integrity to readily admit to a wrong. In which I believe Russel to have been a man of integrity. I of course, recently becoming a baptized JW, and married to a life long JW. Although, there are some teachings I still question....and feel the watchtower does not yet have complete understanding of biblical truth in all its teaching and will receive "new light" in time, as they term it. However, they are most accurate compared to most out there.

Dude, they have been laundering that claim of "new light" for a hundred years now, and it has historically popped out of the hat each and every time one of their "old lights" which at one time was "new light". These claims beg the question:

Exactly HOW does the Governing Body receive this "new light"? Please be very specific.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,287
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 9:09:32 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 6:19:06 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/12/2016 6:14:39 PM, IRONHIDE wrote:

Agreed. It also take a man of integrity to readily admit to a wrong. In which I believe Russel to have been a man of integrity. I of course, recently becoming a baptized JW, and married to a life long JW. Although, there are some teachings I still question....and feel the watchtower does not yet have complete understanding of biblical truth in all its teaching and will receive "new light" in time, as they term it. However, they are most accurate compared to most out there.
I am glad to hear that you have become a baptized Witness. If you ever have any questions or concerns regarding the Watchtower teachings or workings, let me know through a private message on here.

Why do questions and concerns have to be sent privately? It's not that I really care to hear what gullible ears get whispered to, but passing on a chance for a laugh is unhealthy. Exercising my right to insult could also use the excersise. Sooo...where we at. I got twenty dollars and a chest full of sins. I need saving. It's the checking accounts. Damn those ATM cards.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 9:29:43 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 6:14:39 PM, IRONHIDE wrote:
At 9/12/2016 5:37:39 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/12/2016 1:11:14 PM, graceofgod wrote:
he was fascinated by the pyramids and claimed they held many mysteries , it is believed he calculated the end of the world from knowledge he gained from the pyramids...

it seems he was quite wrong...
Indeed, he was wrong. He readily admitted to it. He had a false understanding of Isaiah 19:19, 20. However, it should be noted that the idea was not unique to him. There were many people at that time who held similar beliefs about the pyramids.

Agreed. It also take a man of integrity to readily admit to a wrong. In which I believe Russel to have been a man of integrity. I of course, recently becoming a baptized JW, and married to a life long JW. Although, there are some teachings I still question....and feel the watchtower does not yet have complete understanding of biblical truth in all its teaching and will receive "new light" in time, as they term it. However, they are most accurate compared to most out there.

most accurate they have constantly got the end of the world wrong starting with russel, all the time claiming God directs them...

if God directed them they would not get it wrong...
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 9:59:47 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 5:37:39 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/12/2016 1:11:14 PM, graceofgod wrote:
he was fascinated by the pyramids and claimed they held many mysteries , it is believed he calculated the end of the world from knowledge he gained from the pyramids...

it seems he was quite wrong...
Indeed, he was wrong. He readily admitted to it. He had a false understanding of Isaiah 19:19, 20. However, it should be noted that the idea was not unique to him. There were many people at that time who held similar beliefs about the pyramids.

This passage?

"In that day shall there be an altar to Jehovah in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar at the border thereof to Jehovah. And it shall be for a sign and for a witness unto Jehovah of hosts in the land of Egypt; for they shall cry unto Jehovah because of oppressors, and he will send them a saviour, and a defender, and he will deliver them."

Mr. Russell concluded that THAT referred to the pyramids?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
loveymore
Posts: 64
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 11:09:50 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I am JW, and don't believe that God made world to destroy it.

And as it seems, he was sticking rather to the idea of a Church upon the rock.

http://ctr-rlbible.com...
IRONHIDE
Posts: 326
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 12:05:24 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 8:55:26 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 9/12/2016 6:14:39 PM, IRONHIDE wrote:
At 9/12/2016 5:37:39 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/12/2016 1:11:14 PM, graceofgod wrote:
he was fascinated by the pyramids and claimed they held many mysteries , it is believed he calculated the end of the world from knowledge he gained from the pyramids...

it seems he was quite wrong...
Indeed, he was wrong. He readily admitted to it. He had a false understanding of Isaiah 19:19, 20. However, it should be noted that the idea was not unique to him. There were many people at that time who held similar beliefs about the pyramids.

Agreed. It also take a man of integrity to readily admit to a wrong. In which I believe Russel to have been a man of integrity. I of course, recently becoming a baptized JW, and married to a life long JW. Although, there are some teachings I still question....and feel the watchtower does not yet have complete understanding of biblical truth in all its teaching and will receive "new light" in time, as they term it. However, they are most accurate compared to most out there.

Dude, they have been laundering that claim of "new light" for a hundred years now, and it has historically popped out of the hat each and every time one of their "old lights" which at one time was "new light". These claims beg the question:

Exactly HOW does the Governing Body receive this "new light"? Please be very specific.

I understand that reality. That is one of the things I disagree with that they proclaim. I believe a lot of this so called "New light" comes from over time of individuals who exam what is written, along with history and other factors, making adjustments to previous held views.

I feel they are in error when they say emphatically that certain teachings is from God, when in fact it was from their own analysis and proven to be inaccurate. Like I said in pervious post, I question certain things. However, I agree with a vast amount of their current understanding, and believe in time, they will see and change some of their teaching. I believe as they continue to seek they will find, as scripture encourages us to do and I do believe God will enlighten those who sincerely seek his truths. But I do assert they should be more humble and say and emphasize this is their current understanding, without claiming divine revelation.

With that said, I find the people over all to be more genuine and organized as a congregation worldwide ( even though there are faults) than any of the other millions of organizations out there and believe it to be a good structure for me and my family overall.
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 2:12:31 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/13/2016 12:05:24 AM, IRONHIDE wrote:
At 9/12/2016 8:55:26 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 9/12/2016 6:14:39 PM, IRONHIDE wrote:
At 9/12/2016 5:37:39 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/12/2016 1:11:14 PM, graceofgod wrote:
he was fascinated by the pyramids and claimed they held many mysteries , it is believed he calculated the end of the world from knowledge he gained from the pyramids...

it seems he was quite wrong...
Indeed, he was wrong. He readily admitted to it. He had a false understanding of Isaiah 19:19, 20. However, it should be noted that the idea was not unique to him. There were many people at that time who held similar beliefs about the pyramids.

Agreed. It also take a man of integrity to readily admit to a wrong. In which I believe Russel to have been a man of integrity. I of course, recently becoming a baptized JW, and married to a life long JW. Although, there are some teachings I still question....and feel the watchtower does not yet have complete understanding of biblical truth in all its teaching and will receive "new light" in time, as they term it. However, they are most accurate compared to most out there.

Dude, they have been laundering that claim of "new light" for a hundred years now, and it has historically popped out of the hat each and every time one of their "old lights" which at one time was "new light". These claims beg the question:

Exactly HOW does the Governing Body receive this "new light"? Please be very specific.

I understand that reality. That is one of the things I disagree with that they proclaim. I believe a lot of this so called "New light" comes from over time of individuals who exam what is written, along with history and other factors, making adjustments to previous held views.

I feel they are in error when they say emphatically that certain teachings is from God, when in fact it was from their own analysis and proven to be inaccurate. Like I said in pervious post, I question certain things. However, I agree with a vast amount of their current understanding, and believe in time, they will see and change some of their teaching. I believe as they continue to seek they will find, as scripture encourages us to do and I do believe God will enlighten those who sincerely seek his truths. But I do assert they should be more humble and say and emphasize this is their current understanding, without claiming divine revelation.

Well, on this subject, I believe that you are closer to the truth of the matter than they are. However, you are still claiming that God "enlightens" those who "sincerely" seek His truths. In the end, that's not much different than what they claim. In fact, they would claim the same thing - and claim that they are among those who are "enlightened."

I still ask, precisely HOW does "God will enlighten those who sincerely seek his truths." I'm not talking about "enlightenment through the word", for we all believe that God's word enlightens. It's that little something extra that I'm questioning.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Willows
Posts: 2,031
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 3:42:53 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 6:14:39 PM, IRONHIDE wrote:
At 9/12/2016 5:37:39 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/12/2016 1:11:14 PM, graceofgod wrote:
he was fascinated by the pyramids and claimed they held many mysteries , it is believed he calculated the end of the world from knowledge he gained from the pyramids...

it seems he was quite wrong...
Indeed, he was wrong. He readily admitted to it. He had a false understanding of Isaiah 19:19, 20. However, it should be noted that the idea was not unique to him. There were many people at that time who held similar beliefs about the pyramids.

Agreed. It also take a man of integrity to readily admit to a wrong. In which I believe Russel to have been a man of integrity. I of course, recently becoming a baptized JW, and married to a life long JW. Although, there are some teachings I still question....and feel the watchtower does not yet have complete understanding of biblical truth in all its teaching and will receive "new light" in time, as they term it. However, they are most accurate compared to most out there.

The extent of integrity of Russel could not even be measured by a planck. His ulterior motive for making any admission was for making money.
Obviously, JW are doing their usual conditioning job on you to make you believe the "Truth" and that their interpretation is anywhere near accurate.
Compared with most, if not, all biblical translations out there, JW has the most bizarre, loose, and twisted interpretations.

I hope that in time, for the sake of its hapless, converted followers JW will receive new light on their practices such as depriving their own, deliberately marginalised children to celebrate birthdays or religious festivals. This bizarre cruelty is tantamount to child abuse nowadays and already is becoming more and more the subject of legal class actions as well as intervention by welfare agencies.

Russel was a basket case in the extreme (even his wife left him in disgust) and his cruel and demented legacy has left a trail of broken families and profoundly hurt people in its wake.
Artaxerxes
Posts: 181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:46:06 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 9:09:32 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

I am glad to hear that you have become a baptized Witness. If you ever have any questions or concerns regarding the Watchtower teachings or workings, let me know through a private message on here.

Why do questions and concerns have to be sent privately? It's not that I really care to hear what gullible ears get whispered to, but passing on a chance for a laugh is unhealthy. Exercising my right to insult could also use the excersise. Sooo...where we at. I got twenty dollars and a chest full of sins. I need saving. It's the checking accounts. Damn those ATM cards.
I underlined the reason.
Artaxerxes
Posts: 181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:46:06 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 9:59:47 PM, annanicole wrote:

Indeed, he was wrong. He readily admitted to it. He had a false understanding of Isaiah 19:19, 20. However, it should be noted that the idea was not unique to him. There were many people at that time who held similar beliefs about the pyramids.

This passage?

"In that day shall there be an altar to Jehovah in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar at the border thereof to Jehovah. And it shall be for a sign and for a witness unto Jehovah of hosts in the land of Egypt; for they shall cry unto Jehovah because of oppressors, and he will send them a saviour, and a defender, and he will deliver them."

Mr. Russell concluded that THAT referred to the pyramids?
Yes
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:50:05 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/13/2016 1:46:06 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/12/2016 9:59:47 PM, annanicole wrote:

Indeed, he was wrong. He readily admitted to it. He had a false understanding of Isaiah 19:19, 20. However, it should be noted that the idea was not unique to him. There were many people at that time who held similar beliefs about the pyramids.

This passage?

"In that day shall there be an altar to Jehovah in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar at the border thereof to Jehovah. And it shall be for a sign and for a witness unto Jehovah of hosts in the land of Egypt; for they shall cry unto Jehovah because of oppressors, and he will send them a saviour, and a defender, and he will deliver them."

Mr. Russell concluded that THAT referred to the pyramids?

Yes

Ummm ... ok. I'll take your word for it. The reason I asked is that the passage, of course, doesn't even remotely resemble a reference to pyramids except maybe in someone's fertile imagination.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Artaxerxes
Posts: 181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:52:45 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/13/2016 1:50:05 PM, annanicole wrote:

Ummm ... ok. I'll take your word for it. The reason I asked is that the passage, of course, doesn't even remotely resemble a reference to pyramids except maybe in someone's fertile imagination.
A reference? What reference to pyramids are you speaking about?
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:55:49 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/13/2016 1:52:45 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/13/2016 1:50:05 PM, annanicole wrote:

Ummm ... ok. I'll take your word for it. The reason I asked is that the passage, of course, doesn't even remotely resemble a reference to pyramids except maybe in someone's fertile imagination.
A reference? What reference to pyramids are you speaking about?

I didn't see one.

I gave you the passage:

"In that day shall there be an altar to Jehovah in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar at the border thereof to Jehovah. And it shall be for a sign and for a witness unto Jehovah of hosts in the land of Egypt; for they shall cry unto Jehovah because of oppressors, and he will send them a saviour, and a defender, and he will deliver them."

Then I asked, "Mr. Russell concluded that THAT referred to the pyramids?"

You answered, "Yes"

I don't see it. You're the one that said it was there.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Artaxerxes
Posts: 181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:59:02 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/13/2016 1:55:49 PM, annanicole wrote:

A reference? What reference to pyramids are you speaking about?

I didn't see one.

I gave you the passage:

"In that day shall there be an altar to Jehovah in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar at the border thereof to Jehovah. And it shall be for a sign and for a witness unto Jehovah of hosts in the land of Egypt; for they shall cry unto Jehovah because of oppressors, and he will send them a saviour, and a defender, and he will deliver them."

Then I asked, "Mr. Russell concluded that THAT referred to the pyramids?"

You answered, "Yes"

I don't see it. You're the one that said it was there.
I don't adhere to that teaching. Nor does anyone else to my knowledge (other than backwood Bible Students that have never made any progress since the death of Russell). Presumably, the thought process is that the "pillar" was the pyramid(s). It was in Egypt, just like the pyramids. It was to serve as a sign, Russell believed it was a sign to tell the end times.
Willows
Posts: 2,031
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 2:02:31 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/13/2016 1:50:05 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 9/13/2016 1:46:06 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/12/2016 9:59:47 PM, annanicole wrote:

Indeed, he was wrong. He readily admitted to it. He had a false understanding of Isaiah 19:19, 20. However, it should be noted that the idea was not unique to him. There were many people at that time who held similar beliefs about the pyramids.

This passage?

"In that day shall there be an altar to Jehovah in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar at the border thereof to Jehovah. And it shall be for a sign and for a witness unto Jehovah of hosts in the land of Egypt; for they shall cry unto Jehovah because of oppressors, and he will send them a saviour, and a defender, and he will deliver them."

Mr. Russell concluded that THAT referred to the pyramids?

Yes

Ummm ... ok. I'll take your word for it. The reason I asked is that the passage, of course, doesn't even remotely resemble a reference to pyramids except maybe in someone's fertile imagination.

It really strikes me as utterly bizarre how anybody could make such a conclusion and that this was just only one of Russels very loose interpretations of the bible.
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 2:40:02 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/13/2016 1:59:02 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/13/2016 1:55:49 PM, annanicole wrote:

A reference? What reference to pyramids are you speaking about?

I didn't see one.

I gave you the passage:

"In that day shall there be an altar to Jehovah in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar at the border thereof to Jehovah. And it shall be for a sign and for a witness unto Jehovah of hosts in the land of Egypt; for they shall cry unto Jehovah because of oppressors, and he will send them a saviour, and a defender, and he will deliver them."

Then I asked, "Mr. Russell concluded that THAT referred to the pyramids?"

You answered, "Yes"

I don't see it. You're the one that said it was there.

I don't adhere to that teaching.

I neither said nor implied that you did.

Nor does anyone else to my knowledge (other than backwood Bible Students that have never made any progress since the death of Russell).

Well, knowing that Isa 19: 19-20 has no reference to the pyramids doesn't especially require "progress".

Presumably, the thought process is that the "pillar" was the pyramid(s). It was in Egypt, just like the pyramids. It was to serve as a sign, Russell believed it was a sign to tell the end times.

That's all I was asking. Whether such an interpretation is sheer lunacy or not is kinda beside the point. Of course, Mr. Russell's track record in general is a tad shy of spectacular.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
annanicole
Posts: 19,782
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 3:07:57 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/13/2016 2:02:31 PM, Willows wrote:
At 9/13/2016 1:50:05 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 9/13/2016 1:46:06 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/12/2016 9:59:47 PM, annanicole wrote:

Indeed, he was wrong. He readily admitted to it. He had a false understanding of Isaiah 19:19, 20. However, it should be noted that the idea was not unique to him. There were many people at that time who held similar beliefs about the pyramids.

This passage?

"In that day shall there be an altar to Jehovah in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar at the border thereof to Jehovah. And it shall be for a sign and for a witness unto Jehovah of hosts in the land of Egypt; for they shall cry unto Jehovah because of oppressors, and he will send them a saviour, and a defender, and he will deliver them."

Mr. Russell concluded that THAT referred to the pyramids?

Yes

Ummm ... ok. I'll take your word for it. The reason I asked is that the passage, of course, doesn't even remotely resemble a reference to pyramids except maybe in someone's fertile imagination.

It really strikes me as utterly bizarre how anybody could make such a conclusion and that this was just only one of Russels very loose interpretations of the bible.

Frankly, it is and was absolutely ridiculous. I have read some of his works as well as one of his debates (Russell-White Debate). He was neither ignorant nor illiterate: he was just plain crazy. At times, it seems that he simply concocted beliefs then searched high and low for some obscure passage to cite in defense of those beliefs. This pyramids/Isa 19 business is just an example.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,287
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 4:59:20 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/13/2016 1:46:06 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/12/2016 9:09:32 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

I am glad to hear that you have become a baptized Witness. If you ever have any questions or concerns regarding the Watchtower teachings or workings, let me know through a private message on here.

Why do questions and concerns have to be sent privately? It's not that I really care to hear what gullible ears get whispered to, but passing on a chance for a laugh is unhealthy. Exercising my right to insult could also use the excersise. Sooo...where we at. I got twenty dollars and a chest full of sins. I need saving. It's the checking accounts. Damn those ATM cards.
I underlined the reason.

So put your thoughts to the test. If it's nothing to laugh at its probably because it's too much an abomination for chuckles. Or maybe there's the third option of unlikely agreement. I really can't say until you start talking. It's probably best to just leave it at that.
Willows
Posts: 2,031
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 10:42:04 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/13/2016 3:07:57 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 9/13/2016 2:02:31 PM, Willows wrote:
At 9/13/2016 1:50:05 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 9/13/2016 1:46:06 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/12/2016 9:59:47 PM, annanicole wrote:

Indeed, he was wrong. He readily admitted to it. He had a false understanding of Isaiah 19:19, 20. However, it should be noted that the idea was not unique to him. There were many people at that time who held similar beliefs about the pyramids.

This passage?

"In that day shall there be an altar to Jehovah in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar at the border thereof to Jehovah. And it shall be for a sign and for a witness unto Jehovah of hosts in the land of Egypt; for they shall cry unto Jehovah because of oppressors, and he will send them a saviour, and a defender, and he will deliver them."

Mr. Russell concluded that THAT referred to the pyramids?

Yes

Ummm ... ok. I'll take your word for it. The reason I asked is that the passage, of course, doesn't even remotely resemble a reference to pyramids except maybe in someone's fertile imagination.

It really strikes me as utterly bizarre how anybody could make such a conclusion and that this was just only one of Russels very loose interpretations of the bible.

Frankly, it is and was absolutely ridiculous. I have read some of his works as well as one of his debates (Russell-White Debate). He was neither ignorant nor illiterate: he was just plain crazy. At times, it seems that he simply concocted beliefs then searched high and low for some obscure passage to cite in defense of those beliefs. This pyramids/Isa 19 business is just an example.

It is quite disturbing when you consider such loose translations that prevent children from celebrating birthdays and religious festivals, denied life-saving blood transfusions and made to aimlessly walk door to door "witnessing". And when a child reaches the age of rebelliousness, he or she is disassociated from the family.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 12:08:36 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/14/2016 10:42:04 AM, Willows wrote:
At 9/13/2016 3:07:57 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 9/13/2016 2:02:31 PM, Willows wrote:
At 9/13/2016 1:50:05 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 9/13/2016 1:46:06 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/12/2016 9:59:47 PM, annanicole wrote:

Indeed, he was wrong. He readily admitted to it. He had a false understanding of Isaiah 19:19, 20. However, it should be noted that the idea was not unique to him. There were many people at that time who held similar beliefs about the pyramids.

This passage?

"In that day shall there be an altar to Jehovah in the midst of the land of Egypt, and a pillar at the border thereof to Jehovah. And it shall be for a sign and for a witness unto Jehovah of hosts in the land of Egypt; for they shall cry unto Jehovah because of oppressors, and he will send them a saviour, and a defender, and he will deliver them."

Mr. Russell concluded that THAT referred to the pyramids?

Yes

Ummm ... ok. I'll take your word for it. The reason I asked is that the passage, of course, doesn't even remotely resemble a reference to pyramids except maybe in someone's fertile imagination.

It really strikes me as utterly bizarre how anybody could make such a conclusion and that this was just only one of Russels very loose interpretations of the bible.

Frankly, it is and was absolutely ridiculous. I have read some of his works as well as one of his debates (Russell-White Debate). He was neither ignorant nor illiterate: he was just plain crazy. At times, it seems that he simply concocted beliefs then searched high and low for some obscure passage to cite in defense of those beliefs. This pyramids/Isa 19 business is just an example.

It is quite disturbing when you consider such loose translations that prevent children from celebrating birthdays and religious festivals, denied life-saving blood transfusions and made to aimlessly walk door to door "witnessing". And when a child reaches the age of rebelliousness, he or she is disassociated from the family.

exactly, the goodness knows how many deaths because of banning blood transfusions is the worse the jw's should be sued...
Omniverse
Posts: 973
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 1:05:09 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 5:37:39 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/12/2016 1:11:14 PM, graceofgod wrote:
he was fascinated by the pyramids and claimed they held many mysteries , it is believed he calculated the end of the world from knowledge he gained from the pyramids...

it seems he was quite wrong...
Indeed, he was wrong. He readily admitted to it. He had a false understanding of Isaiah 19:19, 20. However, it should be noted that the idea was not unique to him. There were many people at that time who held similar beliefs about the pyramids.

And yet you readily believe God picked him over other zealots and elected his at the time miniscule movement as the One and True religion, him believing the absurdities that he did, he failing spectacularly on the prophetic front, and yet here you are eager to show your devotion to a movement whose foundational figure was wrong not by an inch, not by a mile, but by many many parsecs.

This is the poisonous effect some brands of religion will have on some people: otherwise decent and bright folks believing and behaving as though they had the IQ of overcooked pasta.
bulproof
Posts: 25,184
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 1:09:49 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Poor old Chaz is the least of the things hoovians should be embarrassed about, unfortunately they are hoovians because they lack the intellectual capacity needed to be embarrassed.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Omniverse
Posts: 973
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 1:12:41 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/12/2016 6:14:39 PM, IRONHIDE wrote:
At 9/12/2016 5:37:39 PM, Artaxerxes wrote:
At 9/12/2016 1:11:14 PM, graceofgod wrote:
he was fascinated by the pyramids and claimed they held many mysteries , it is believed he calculated the end of the world from knowledge he gained from the pyramids...

it seems he was quite wrong...
Indeed, he was wrong. He readily admitted to it. He had a false understanding of Isaiah 19:19, 20. However, it should be noted that the idea was not unique to him. There were many people at that time who held similar beliefs about the pyramids.

Agreed. It also take a man of integrity to readily admit to a wrong. In which I believe Russel to have been a man of integrity. I of course, recently becoming a baptized JW, and married to a life long JW.

Please keep your hypocrisy in check.
You believe all people would be wise to follow the Governing Body's advice on everything. And yet your mere presence around here is in clear defiance of their admission against taking part in online religious discussions.

Let your local body of elders know you regularly take part in online discussions, which possibly include dissidents, former Witnesses and Watchtower antagonists, watch as the carrot-less stick of reprobation comes down on you.

Although, there are some teachings I still question....

As you should. You should question and examine everything.
Truth wouldn't shy away from close inspection.

and feel the watchtower does not yet have complete understanding of biblical truth in all its teaching and will receive "new light" in time, as they term it. However, they are most accurate compared to most out there.

Based off on what would you say that?

The Watchtower is the North Korea of religion.