Jump to topic:

Ask A Buddhist

Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:07:07 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
This forum is the intellectual equivalent of a toxic waste swamp, but I thought this might be an interesting conversation to hold...Ask away.
"If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult."--Kermit the Frog

#Treebrokethechurchbells--DD

"I am after all the purveyor of intellectually dishonest propaganda." --YYW
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:26:30 AM
I have cherished possessions which hold sentimental value to me. Does Buddhism disapprove of my material attachment to these possessions? By "disapprove", I mean, does Buddhism feel that my attachment to them will ultimately lead me to suffering?
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:35:22 AM
At 9/13/2016 1:26:30 AM, Casten wrote:
I have cherished possessions which hold sentimental value to me. Does Buddhism disapprove of my material attachment to these possessions? By "disapprove", I mean, does Buddhism feel that my attachment to them will ultimately lead me to suffering?

As in everything, there is a Middle Way. Here the two extremes are materialism and asceticism. The middle way is to keep the things that you cherish but not to seek happiness from the outside through material objects or experiences. So no, your attachment to them won't lead to suffering.

Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:42:40 AM
At 9/13/2016 1:35:22 AM, Tree_of_Death wrote:

As in everything, there is a Middle Way. Here the two extremes are materialism and asceticism. The middle way is to keep the things that you cherish but not to seek happiness from the outside through material objects or experiences. So no, your attachment to them won't lead to suffering.

Thank you.

Is Buddhism in any way opposed, then, to a materialist capitalist society with an emphasis on buying the newest iPhone?
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:44:37 AM
At 9/13/2016 1:42:40 AM, Casten wrote:

Thank you.

Is Buddhism in any way opposed, then, to a materialist capitalist society with an emphasis on buying the newest iPhone?

Yup.

Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:47:40 AM
It sounds like Buddhism is asking me to stop wanting shiny new things. That is... hard. They're... shiny.
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:50:16 AM
1. What happens to me when I die having achieved a state of nirvana?

2. Can a buddhist pizza shop make me one with everything?
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 2:02:56 AM
At 9/13/2016 1:07:07 AM, Tree_of_Death wrote:
This forum is the intellectual equivalent of a toxic waste swamp, but I thought this might be an interesting conversation to hold...Ask away.

Do Buddhists believe consciousness continues to exist after death? If so, what do they believe?
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 2:05:40 AM
At 9/13/2016 1:50:16 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:
1. What happens to me when I die having achieved a state of nirvana?
Well, to acheive nirvana means to escape samsara (karma, cycle of rebirth, etc), so he wasn't reborn. Buddhas go into parinirvana (complete nirvana) after death. They exist in parinirvana for eternity.
2. Can a buddhist pizza shop make me one with everything?
Lol I wish. :)

Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 2:08:56 AM
At 9/13/2016 2:02:56 AM, matt8800 wrote:

Do Buddhists believe consciousness continues to exist after death? If so, what do they believe?

Yes. If the being is a Buddha, they go into parinirvana (see above). If not, they are reborn into one of the six realms, depending on their karma.

matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 2:22:25 AM
At 9/13/2016 2:08:56 AM, Tree_of_Death wrote:

Yes. If the being is a Buddha, they go into parinirvana (see above). If not, they are reborn into one of the six realms, depending on their karma.

I'm curious what Buddhists believe. Would you mind explaining in further detail or directing me to somewhere that does?
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 2:23:46 AM
At 9/13/2016 2:08:56 AM, Tree_of_Death wrote:

Another question...

How do you know this to be true?
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 2:42:26 AM

I love a lot of Buddhistic philosophy, but I don't buy a lot of the mystical aspects of it. Why should I reject Secular Buddhism in favor of Non-secular Buddhism?
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 3:03:33 AM
At 9/13/2016 2:42:26 AM, n7 wrote:

I love a lot of Buddhistic philosophy, but I don't buy a lot of the mystical aspects of it. Why should I reject Secular Buddhism in favor of Non-secular Buddhism?

What do you mean by mysticism?

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 4:00:16 AM
Buddhas go into parinirvana (complete nirvana) after death. They exist in parinirvana for eternity.

What exactly is parinirvana anyway? Why do you wish to achieve it?
Meh!
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 6:06:22 AM
At 9/13/2016 3:03:33 AM, Tree_of_Death wrote:

Reincarnation, Buddhist cosmology, the supernatural beings, ect.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:19:23 PM
As in everything, there is a Middle Way. [...]
Is there anything in Buddhism which isn't relative or debatable?
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 10:11:15 PM
At 9/13/2016 4:00:16 AM, Axonly wrote:
Buddhas go into parinirvana (complete nirvana) after death. They exist in parinirvana for eternity.

What exactly is parinirvana anyway? Why do you wish to achieve it?

Well, parinirvana simply refers to nirvana after death. Nirvana is simply the end of suffering. It has been described by Buddhists as a state of pure bliss. It's synonymous with enlightenment. It's the ultimate goal of Buddhist practice, and signals liberation from suffering.

It is reached by following the Eightfold Noble Path--(https://en.wikipedia.org...)--which cultivates understanding and compassion. Practice it enough and you attain nirvana.

Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 10:35:21 PM
At 9/13/2016 6:06:22 AM, n7 wrote:
At 9/13/2016 3:03:33 AM, Tree_of_Death wrote:

Reincarnation, Buddhist cosmology, the supernatural beings, ect.

Yeah, I reject most of that stuff too. The Buddha didn't teach these things though. Buddhist cosmology was mainly the result of Mahayana and Theravada commentators. The supernatural beings largely stem from Vajrayana and Mahayana teachings (wrathful deities and the Amida Buddha respectively). Reincarnation was the only one that the Buddha believed in, and this stems largely from the Hindu tradition.

But to answer your question, you don't have to accept all the mystical things to be a Buddhist. The Buddha once said about doctrine, "O monks and wise men, just as a goldsmith would test his gold by burning, cutting and rubbing it, so must you examine my words and accept them, not merely out of reverence for me. My teaching is not a philosophy. It is the result of direct experience... My teaching is a means of practice, not something to hold onto or worship. My teaching is like a raft used to cross the river. Only a fool would carry the raft around after he had already reached the other shore of liberation." So you can still be a Buddhist and not believe in various things. Examine them closely, thing long and hard about each one, and if it doesn't make sense, don't believe it.

I'm not going to say if you should reject secular Buddhism and become a non-secular Buddhist--evangelism isn't the Buddhist way. But I hope this clarifies things a little bit. :)

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 11:03:00 PM

Why do Buddhists think that after death you reincarnate as an animal despite there being absolutely no evidence supporting this theory?
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 11:35:53 PM

How do you sit so well with your legs crossed like a pretzel? My legs go numb. I can't feel anything. Did I just flatline my consciousness? It feels weird. I think I'm having an OOBE. Never mind now. I think I'm getting it. Nope. Call an ambulance. I'm going to apply a tourniquet. I think. Help! My legs! What would a Buddist do?
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 11:45:24 PM
At 9/13/2016 11:35:53 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

How do you sit so well with your legs crossed like a pretzel? My legs go numb. I can't feel anything. Did I just flatline my consciousness? It feels weird. I think I'm having an OOBE. Never mind now. I think I'm getting it. Nope. Call an ambulance. I'm going to apply a tourniquet. I think. Help! My legs! What would a Buddist do?

You don't have to sit in the full lotus position. I certainly can't. :)

Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 11:46:17 PM
At 9/13/2016 1:19:23 PM, NHN wrote:

Isn't anything having to do with religion debatable?

Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 3:12:11 AM
At 9/13/2016 11:03:00 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Why do Buddhists think that after death you reincarnate as an animal despite there being absolutely no evidence supporting this theory?

Well, first of all, you may or may not be reincarnated as an animal, depending on your actions taken in your previous life. But for your question--you are correct that there is no evidence. I'd like to point out that there is no evidence for any other theories about what happens to the consciousness after death either, so your guess is as good as mine. I don't agree with this theory, but the logic behind it is that matter and energy cannot be destroyed, so why should consciousness? The theory is that consciousness that hasn't yet reached nirvana needs a body to remain in existence, and thus reincarnation occurs after death.

Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 7:47:58 AM

Thanks for starting this thread.

Even though I am not a Buddhist I find it one of the most interesting religions. The question I have for you is one I have posed to several fellow Buddhists:

How can you possibly say the ego is an illusion when everything in our daily lives asserts otherwise?

This forum is not that bad. Sure, some Christians do say the most vile despicable things, but you can have conversations where decency is not infringed upon with a significant portion of the board.
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 10:48:42 AM
At 9/13/2016 11:46:17 PM, Tree_of_Death wrote:
At 9/13/2016 1:19:23 PM, NHN wrote:
Isn't anything having to do with religion debatable?
No. In Judaism it is the word of G-d/YHWH as written in the Tanakh and interpreted via Talmud. Similarly in Islam it is the word of Allah as presented in the Quran and interpreted in the hadiths.

In Christianity, however, it is the word/Logos/Son of G-d/YHWH (made flesh, mortal, resurrected) who introduces a faith lodged in Spirit and not by the word (of the Tanakh).

In neither Islam nor Judaism nor Christianity is there a "middle way" regarding the core of the religion. It is by the word in two instances and by spirit in the third. But in all three cases there are sources from which the faith is derived. None of these sources are relative.

With this in mind, what in Buddhism isn't relative? What is its source?