Jump to topic:

Repent the end is nigh!

tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 10:28:48 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
The end has been nigh for a very long time. I remember the sandwich board men strutting their stuff with this message when I was a kid in the 50s. Whenever there is a national or world crisis the end times merchants get very excited, proclaiming the problems we are experiencing are predicted, although you have to have a very vivid imagination to interpret the Biblical verses they are suggesting refer to whichever crisis we are living through! Remember Harold Campion, who predicted the end of the world erroneously on at least three occasions, and still had the gullible believing him?

Jesus suggested the end times would happen in the lifetime of his disciples. If he couldn't get it right who could?

I think the end timers get a real kick out of scaring people with their nonsense.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 10:50:10 AM
At 9/14/2016 10:28:48 AM, tarantula wrote:
The end has been nigh for a very long time. I remember the sandwich board men strutting their stuff with this message when I was a kid in the 50s. Whenever there is a national or world crisis the end times merchants get very excited, proclaiming the problems we are experiencing are predicted, although you have to have a very vivid imagination to interpret the Biblical verses they are suggesting refer to whichever crisis we are living through! Remember Harold Campion, who predicted the end of the world erroneously on at least three occasions, and still had the gullible believing him?

Jesus suggested the end times would happen in the lifetime of his disciples. If he couldn't get it right who could?

I think the end timers get a real kick out of scaring people with their nonsense.

I reckon it is they who have the crap scared out of themselves and are so concerned that they honestly think that they are doing others a favour by warning them.

Beware though since the reality is that the end could come at any time anyway, not by God but by a natural event such as a giant asteroid hitting the earth. It has happened before and took many millions of years for life to resume.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 10:52:54 AM
I reckon if Christianity is still being practised 2000 years hence some will still be predicting the end times are imminent. Of course one day our world will end through natural processes, nothing to do with any god.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 12:46:29 PM
"Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come."
--- Haruki Murakami, 1Q84

"Instead, the world always carries on, and they come to an end."
--- Me
Omniverse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 12:58:49 PM
At 9/14/2016 12:46:29 PM, dee-em wrote:
"Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come."
--- Haruki Murakami, 1Q84

"Instead, the world always carries on, and they come to an end."
--- Me

I am about to finish 1Q84!

It features Jehovah's Witnesses, so there's that. They can claim even world famous novelists notice them.