If God does not exist, everything is permitte

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 3:35:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
"If God does not exist, then everything is permitted"

I am sure you have heard this quote before, and it implies how morality is thrown out the door in the absence of God.

Trouble is this works both ways consider this........

"If God exists then anything is permitted"

now by this I mean, if a person, group, nation or entire religion believe something is Gods will, what WON'T they do in trying to fullfill Gods will. Lets see it has been Gods will too...........

Kill the cannanites
Kill the heathen
Kill the jews
Kill the muslims
Kill the athiests
Kill who ever God doesn't happen to like that day
Kill witches
Torture unbelievers for the good of their soul
Divine right of kings
Taking over the government.......for christ of course
To keep slavery
To deny women productive rights
well it just keeps on going...............
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 9:07:11 AM
At 1/10/2011 3:35:17 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Lets see it has been Gods will too...........

Kill the cannanites
Kill the heathen
Kill the jews
Kill the muslims
Kill the athiests
Kill witches
Divine right of kings
To keep slavery

Looking over this list, it is hard to imagine the kind of God that Illegalcombatant would be happy with. I suppose he'd prefer a jolly old man in the sky giving out candy canes when you've been good.

You aren't going to accept this I know; but all of those things on your list aren't even beliefs of Christianity. They were not done because God ordered them; they were done to gain political power, and masked behind a false piety.

There is a world of difference between someone who believes in God, and someone who manipulates other people in God's name.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 9:11:45 AM
At 1/10/2011 9:07:11 AM, Chrysippus wrote:
I've never read the bible, yet somehow I am a Christian.

Hmm... okay.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 10:19:21 AM
At 1/10/2011 3:35:17 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Lets see it has been Gods will too...........

Kill the cannanites
Kill the heathen
Kill the jews
Kill the muslims
Kill the athiests
Kill witches
Divine right of kings
To keep slavery

Looking over this list, it is hard to imagine the kind of God that Illegalcombatant would be happy with. I suppose he'd prefer a jolly old man in the sky giving out candy canes when you've been good.

Are you saying God's existence is contingent upon our being happy with Him?

You aren't going to accept this I know; but all of those things on your list aren't even beliefs of Christianity. They were not done because God ordered them; they were done to gain political power, and masked behind a false piety.

But, according to the Bible, God still permitted them to happen, right?

There is a world of difference between someone who believes in God, and someone who manipulates other people in God's name.

The issue isn't about who believes and who doesn't, it's about what is permissible and what isn't. Given that free will exists (a Christian idea, I believe), what can be done in a universe without a God that cannot be done in a universe that has a God?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 10:52:54 AM
Silly Tigg, if there is no god, you can't be GUIDED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT.

Hallelujah!
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 12:11:35 PM
At 1/10/2011 9:11:45 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Neither have I, though, I occasionally visit evilbible.com

You should give it a chance, broaden your mind.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 12:11:42 PM
Looking over this list, it is hard to imagine the kind of God that Illegalcombatant would be happy with. I suppose he'd prefer a jolly old man in the sky giving out candy canes when you've been good.:

You forgot a God who rains gumdrops from cotton candy clouds. That's my kind of God!

You aren't going to accept this I know; but all of those things on your list aren't even beliefs of Christianity. They were not done because God ordered them; they were done to gain political power, and masked behind a false piety.:

Well, a lot of that is in fact in the bible, which Christians cite as being the infallible Word of God. The orders, as they were, come directly from God in the passages.

There is a world of difference between someone who believes in God, and someone who manipulates other people in God's name.:

True. The million dollar question then becomes, does the bible itself fall in to the latter category?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 12:30:43 PM
You see the problem with The original quote is that the opposite of everything is not anything they mean the same thing how are they opposites?? Or why is permitted not touched it should then read not permitted or forbidden something along those lines. So using logic the opposite of If God does not exist, everything is permitted. Should be If God exists, nothing is permitted OR If God exists, everything is not permitted/forbidden.
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 12:32:35 PM
Ignore previous post
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 1:35:30 PM
At 1/10/2011 12:11:35 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 1/10/2011 9:11:45 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Neither have I, though, I occasionally visit evilbible.com

You should give it a chance, or you will burn.

Come on V! That ain't right...
Mariano-Apologeticus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 8:39:23 PM
"...I occasionally visit evilbible.com..."

That's not the least of it, the worst part is that evilbible.com is saturated with fallacies and has been discredited, see:
http://www.truefreethinker.com...