Jump to topic:

God On Trial

Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 1:00:54 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Does God exist? that is the question. But why not put it to the test in a court of law?

If someone is accused of a crime, he is assumed not guilty until the case against him is proven. So if we are to make an accusation that God exists we would assume non-existence until the case is proven.

Can the prosecution please stand up and present your evidence in support of your case that God exists?
Genius_Intellect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 1:08:14 PM
At 9/14/2016 1:00:54 PM, Willows wrote:
Does God exist? that is the question. But why not put it to the test in a court of law?

If someone is accused of a crime, he is assumed not guilty until the case against him is proven. So if we are to make an accusation that God exists we would assume non-existence until the case is proven.

Can the prosecution please stand up and present your evidence in support of your case that God exists?

As the Judge, I'm afraid I can't let this go to trial without a proper definition of "God".
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 1:11:01 PM
I hope you're conducting this in the NOTHING courtroom?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 1:14:45 PM
At 9/14/2016 1:08:14 PM, Genius_Intellect wrote:

As the Judge, I'm afraid I can't let this go to trial without a proper definition of "God".

Suits me fine. I have no idea what this God thing is anyway that the prosecution is going on about, so why don't you just strike the case out and we can assume the non-existence?
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 2:17:02 PM

Response:

Prosecutor: So Willows, can you present to the court, right here, right now, the act of repeatedly cleaning and dressing yourself, feeding yourself, and doing your job at work yourself by lying in your bed for the next month without moving?

Willows: No.

Then you have just shown us firsthand that order or a repeating pattern can only originate from choice FIRST. Therefore, the repeating patterns in the universe and life itself also originated from choice. Proving God exist.

No further questions your honor.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 2:19:40 PM
At 9/14/2016 2:17:02 PM, Fatihah
Response: Fuknuckle.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 2:47:09 PM
Does God exist? that is the question.

No, that's actually not the question. Clearly God exists or we wouldn't be contemplating the idea. The question is HOW does God exist. Just as an idea? As a subjective experiential phenomena? As an objective physical phenomena? As a combination of all of these?

There is plenty of evidence to support each of these claims. But none of that will matter to most people, who have already made up their mind and will not accept any evidence that would contradict them.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 4:15:50 PM
At 9/14/2016 2:47:09 PM, PureX wrote:
Does God exist? that is the question.

No, that's actually not the question. Clearly God exists or we wouldn't be contemplating the idea. The question is HOW does God exist. Just as an idea? As a subjective experiential phenomena? As an objective physical phenomena? As a combination of all of these?

There is plenty of evidence to support each of these claims. But none of that will matter to most people, who have already made up their mind and will not accept any evidence that would contradict them.

What evidence? There is none and you know it. If there was evidence for God, wouldn't the entire population of the planet know it? Or, is this evidence that exists only in someone's head?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 4:21:26 PM
At 9/14/2016 2:17:02 PM, Fatihah wrote:

Response:

Prosecutor: So Willows, can you present to the court, right here, right now, the act of repeatedly cleaning and dressing yourself, feeding yourself, and doing your job at work yourself by lying in your bed for the next month without moving?

Then you have just shown us firsthand that order or a repeating pattern can only originate from choice FIRST. Therefore, the repeating patterns in the universe and life itself also originated from choice. Proving God exist.

Your honor, the Prosecutor has only provided evidence of choice of humans and has projected those choices onto a God, which only indicates that God would make the same choices as humans but does not indicate God's existence.

Case is thrown out for lack of evidence.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 4:43:04 PM
At 9/14/2016 4:21:26 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Your honor, the Prosecutor has only provided evidence of choice of humans and has projected those choices onto a God, which only indicates that God would make the same choices as humans but does not indicate God's existence.

Case is thrown out for lack of evidence.

Response: The human used was the person himself, which is firsthand evidence. Firsthand evidence is the most reliable evidence, thus the evidence is reliable when referring to God as well since it is the best evidence, and the evidence shows that God exist.

Case is proven due to firsthand evidence, which is the vest evidence.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 4:58:33 PM
Does God exist?

No.

that is the question. But why not put it to the test in a court of law?

Because that is not what courts of law are for. They don't determine matters of fact they determine matters of law. And, for the purposes of the law, it might be useful to actually rule contrary to matters of fact.

For example, for the purposes of tarriffs and taxes, a tomato is not a fruit. But, as a matter of (biological) fact, it is.

The purpose of a court of law is to basically mediate disputes among citizens or between citizens and their government, not to prove or disprove philosophical quandries. God is neither a citizen nor a government and has no place in a court of law. it is, in all ways that matter, a poor use of the court system.

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 4:59:32 PM
At 9/14/2016 1:14:45 PM, Willows wrote:
At 9/14/2016 1:08:14 PM, Genius_Intellect wrote:

Suits me fine. I have no idea what this God thing is anyway that the prosecution is going on about, so why don't you just strike the case out and we can assume the non-existence?

God shall be defined as the intelligent creator of the universe.

Case 1: If God doesn't exist, any naturally occurring thing lacks purposiveness.

Naturally occurring things have purposiveness.

Therefore, God exists.

Case 2: If God doesn't exist, objective moral truths don't exist.

Objective moral truths exist.

Therefore, God exists.

Case 3: If God doesn't exist, all contingent causes are infinitely regressive.

All contingent causes are not infinitely regressive.

Therefore, God exists.

Case 4: If God doesn't exist, reality is fundamentally non-mental.

Reality is fundamentally mental.

Therefore, God exists.

That's enough for now.

"Evidence" for the record, is information indicating whether a proposition is true.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 5:05:34 PM

I have seen miracles caused by God.... that is proof to me...
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 5:08:00 PM

As the majority of people in this world believe that a god exists and as we are all the offspring of people who once believed in the existence of a Deity (or deities), it therefore stands to reason that it is not the existence of God that ought to be proven, but the fact that he does not exist and I hereby ask for a ruling on this matter.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 5:37:04 PM
At 9/14/2016 5:08:00 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:

As the majority of people in this world believe that a god exists and as we are all the offspring of people who once believed in the existence of a Deity (or deities), it therefore stands to reason that it is not the existence of God that ought to be proven, but the fact that he does not exist and I hereby ask for a ruling on this matter.

What one believes, however, doesn't make it true. We believed at one time that "bad humors" in the blood caused sickness, that "ectoplasm" was real, etc. It was either poor understanding of the world, or chicanery (fraud) in general. God is the positive claim, it is incumbent upon those whom claim Him to demonstrate Him through a reliable means. This has yet to manifest.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 5:51:27 PM
At 9/14/2016 5:37:04 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

What one believes, however, doesn't make it true. We believed at one time that "bad humors" in the blood caused sickness, that "ectoplasm" was real, etc. It was either poor understanding of the world, or chicanery (fraud) in general. God is the positive claim, it is incumbent upon those whom claim Him to demonstrate Him through a reliable means. This has yet to manifest.

What one believes does not make it true. Both you and I both do not believe in God, however, just because we believe this does not make it so. The belief that God exists is the prevalent opinion and as such, it is up to those who do not believe to proof that God does not exist.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 6:13:14 PM
At 9/14/2016 5:51:27 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:
At 9/14/2016 5:37:04 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

What one believes does not make it true. Both you and I both do not believe in God, however, just because we believe this does not make it so. The belief that God exists is the prevalent opinion and as such, it is up to those who do not believe to proof that God does not exist.

So you are wanting the camp whom claims there is no evidence to their position (prompting their disbelief) to prove that there is no evidence. In the mean time, the people whose opinion it is that something exists... do not need to demonstrate that objectively existent thing.

What sense does that make?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 6:36:16 PM
At 9/14/2016 6:13:14 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
So you are wanting the camp whom claims there is no evidence to their position (prompting their disbelief) to prove that there is no evidence. In the mean time, the people whose opinion it is that something exists... do not need to demonstrate that objectively existent thing.

What sense does that make, let me see... you as a minority demand from the majority to proof that they are right even though you have no shred of evidence that they are wrong. Good one. I imagine that you belong to the majority that believes that the color of the sky is blue, I think it is green. You as the majority must now proof that it is blue.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 6:38:33 PM

Since the law works on facts... at this point this is impossible. However, another part of the law is using persuasive arguments to win your case, when you lack in the facts category. Although it is hard to win without something concrete, i have seen and been involved in victories purely of appealing to a jury. Yet... you are normally taking advantage of the highly malleable.

In any case, my evidence is me, that i am a "god." A divine being. I control my life right now, so i will also be in absolute control in death. This makes me a god, but a god of my own world. The evidence being my experiences that have lead me to this conclusion.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 6:50:24 PM
At 9/14/2016 6:36:16 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:
At 9/14/2016 6:13:14 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

What sense does that make, let me see... you as a minority demand from the majority

Irrelevant.

to proof that they are right even though you have no shred of evidence that they are wrong. Good one.

If you aren't inept at what a positive claim is, yeah, its pretty standard. If you make a claim of something existing (it doesn't matter if you are in the minority or the majority), one can present evidence to a claim. LACK of evidence for such a claim is fodder for (in this case) the atheist. My "evidence" for the non-existence of something is exactly that, there is no evidence to the opposite claim. There are no winged humanoids, the rivers aren't running in blood, HOARDS of people pray and get no repeatable or predictable reply, the things God supposedly detests still happen, "eye witness" accounts of supernatural occurrence are not congruent...

I imagine that you belong to the majority that believes that the color of the sky is blue, I think it is green. You as the majority must now proof that it is blue.

Sure.

You, thinking the sky is green, should answer the following accordingly:

What, in your opinion is blue, and what else in your opinion is green (aside from the sky)?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 7:22:18 PM
At 9/14/2016 1:11:01 PM, bulproof wrote:
I hope you're conducting this in the NOTHING courtroom?

Yes, the same courtroom we're conducting the Big Bang trial.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 5:15:01 AM
At 9/14/2016 5:05:34 PM, graceofgod wrote:

What did this god look liked?
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 10:28:30 AM
At 9/14/2016 2:17:02 PM, Fatihah wrote:

Response:

Defence: Well, that to me sounds a bit one-sided, a bit like one side of a checkerboard (courtroom erupts in laughter).
If this "God" whatever it is, gave us choices he would have chosen to do so therefore some other "God thing" would have to give that God the choice and so on forever. In which case we could just as rightly claim that we have had choice since forever.

So the prosecution claim is logically wrong and must be dismissed your honour.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 10:34:32 AM
At 9/14/2016 6:38:33 PM, Outplayz wrote:

Since the law works on facts... at this point this is impossible. However, another part of the law is using persuasive arguments to win your case, when you lack in the facts category. Although it is hard to win without something concrete, i have seen and been involved in victories purely of appealing to a jury. Yet... you are normally taking advantage of the highly malleable.

In any case, my evidence is me, that i am a "god." A divine being. I control my life right now, so i will also be in absolute control in death. This makes me a god, but a god of my own world. The evidence being my experiences that have lead me to this conclusion.

I've got news for you........
You don't exist.
Q-ter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 10:50:47 AM

Can the prosecution please stand up and present your evidence in support of your case that God exists? : :

The same exact trial could be set up for anyone who says, "God doesn't exist"

Would there be any evidence to support this claim?

Now you can understand why atheists and theists have continued the same exact argument for hundreds of years. Neither group has any evidence to support their claims.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 10:52:43 AM

That does not make sense.
The implication that just because a belief has been around for a long time or held by a majority of people does not make it a default position.

If you were put on trial for murder (something exists, i.e. a murder) then the prosecution must prove the case, as defendant you are not compelled to offer any evidence that you did not do it.

The onus is on the prosecution (the claim that there is a God) to submit evidence. In the absence of any evidence the case will be dismissed.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 11:00:53 AM
At 9/15/2016 10:50:47 AM, Q-ter wrote:

Can the prosecution please stand up and present your evidence in support of your case that God exists? : :

Now you can understand why atheists and theists have continued the same exact argument for hundreds of years. Neither group has any evidence to support their claims.

You cannot have a trial where the case is "he did not commit a murder", where the prosecution sets out to prove that someone did not do it.

The positive assertion that God exists (something happened) is prosecuted and is up to the prosecution to provide evidence.
The defence (it didn't happen) is then entitled to refute the evidence.
Q-ter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 11:02:35 AM
At 9/15/2016 11:00:53 AM, Willows wrote:
At 9/15/2016 10:50:47 AM, Q-ter wrote:

You cannot have a trial where the case is "he did not commit a murder", where the prosecution sets out to prove that someone did not do it.

The positive assertion that God exists (something happened) is prosecuted and is up to the prosecution to provide evidence.
The defence (it didn't happen) is then entitled to refute the evidence. : :

Now you're starting an argument with absolutely no evidence to support your claim.
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 11:07:55 AM
At 9/15/2016 10:52:43 AM, Willows wrote:
If you were put on trial for murder (something exists, i.e. a murder) then the prosecution must prove the case, as defendant you are not compelled to offer any evidence that you did not do it.

The onus is on the prosecution (the claim that there is a God) to submit evidence. In the absence of any evidence the case will be dismissed.

I completely agree with you in regard that it is up to the prosecutor to prove his case. However, in this instance, it is your side that is prosecuting as it isn't the Christians who want to put God on trial, but those who do not believe in God. Ergo, it is up to the prosecuting side to present evidence that God does not exist.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 11:10:11 AM
At 9/14/2016 5:05:34 PM, graceofgod wrote:

"I saw him looking suspiciously" is not compelling evidence in a court of law.
Did you take a video or take photos that were expertly verified and have independant witnesses of the miracles?

And were the rusults confirmed by two independant experts in their field?

If not, your claim of miracles can be dismissed.