Jump to topic:

Is God Blind?

dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 1:01:24 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Humans and other animals on Earth see by having eyes with receptors (rods and cones) which detect photons and convert them into electrical signals for the brain to process. We see objects by the light (photons) reflected from them.

God is said to be outside the universe and immaterial. That means he neither has receptors for photons nor the presence inside the universe to collect light by which to see things. The inescapable conclusion is that God must be blind to everything in our universe.

Does anyone disagree with this conclusion and why?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 1:04:07 PM
At 9/14/2016 1:01:24 PM, dee-em wrote:
Humans and other animals on Earth see by having eyes with receptors (rods and cones) which detect photons and convert them into electrical signals for the brain to process. We see objects by the light (photons) reflected from them.

God is said to be outside the universe and immaterial. That means he neither has receptors for photons nor the presence inside the universe to collect light by which to see things. The inescapable conclusion is that God must be blind to everything in our universe.

If god existed it would not only be blind but it would be stupid and insane.
Worship that fuknuckles.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 1:53:01 PM

God is man, what a novel argument....lmao
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 2:27:19 PM

A quantity which isn't defined is no quantity, at all. God is defined as being unlimited; therefore God is nothing.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 9:11:33 PM
The inescapable conclusion is that God must be blind to everything in our universe.

I don"t see any reason to believe that there is no other ways how Spirit can know what happens.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 10:45:03 PM
At 9/14/2016 1:53:01 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

God is man, what a novel argument....lmao

Then tell us how he sees.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 10:46:29 PM
At 9/14/2016 2:27:19 PM, s-anthony wrote:

A quantity which isn't defined is no quantity, at all. God is defined as being unlimited; therefore God is nothing.

Yeah, right. God is nothing. Therefore there is nothing to discuss.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 10:48:21 PM
At 9/14/2016 9:11:33 PM, 12_13 wrote:
The inescapable conclusion is that God must be blind to everything in our universe.

I don"t see any reason to believe that there is no other ways how Spirit can know what happens.

Wouldn't it be nice if mere belief made things true? Lol.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 3:42:36 AM

Idk... but i see things in my dreams quite well. I am one of those rare creators that can control my lucid dream to the point it feels like i walk out of my body. Very hard to keep the dream going from there however, the adrenaline kicks in bc it is a pretty intense feeling... but i see myself sleeping on the ground; which is pretty cool to say the least.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 3:47:44 AM
At 9/15/2016 3:38:09 AM, s-anthony wrote:
Yeah, right. God is nothing. Therefore there is nothing to discuss.

Can you define God?

No, as an atheist I have no belief in gods so I rely on the definitions provided by theists who claim to know things about their god.

You made such a claim. I have merely pointed out the logical conclusion of your claim. Why are you in this thread if your position is that God is literally nothing? We can't discuss the blindness of nothing. That would be absurd.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 3:50:58 AM
At 9/15/2016 3:42:36 AM, Outplayz wrote:

Idk... but i see things in my dreams quite well.

Dreams don't align with reality.

I am one of those rare creators that can control my lucid dream to the point it feels like i walk out of my body. Very hard to keep the dream going from there however, the adrenaline kicks in bc it is a pretty intense feeling... but i see myself sleeping on the ground; which is pretty cool to say the least.

This discussion is about observing the physical universe, not about dreams.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 3:54:15 AM
At 9/15/2016 3:50:58 AM, dee-em wrote:

I am one of those rare creators that can control my lucid dream to the point it feels like i walk out of my body. Very hard to keep the dream going from there however, the adrenaline kicks in bc it is a pretty intense feeling... but i see myself sleeping on the ground; which is pretty cool to say the least.

But... what if it is a dream? This world can merely be what happens when an immortal sleeps. To an infinite being, i could imagine, living one life would be a blink. Man... living lives until this universe ends would still be a blink to an infinite sentience.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 4:01:57 AM
At 9/15/2016 3:54:15 AM, Outplayz wrote:

But... what if it is a dream? This world can merely be what happens when an immortal sleeps. To an infinite being, i could imagine, living one life would be a blink. Man... living lives until this universe ends would still be a blink to an infinite sentience.

An immortal being sleeps? Think about the ramifications of that.

I have no idea how the rest of your paragraph relates to anything.

The universe is not a dream. It obeys strict laws. There is cause and effect and remorseless entropy. No dream of mine fits that model.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 4:05:12 AM
At 9/15/2016 4:01:57 AM, dee-em wrote:

The universe is not a dream. It obeys strict laws. There is cause and effect and remorseless entropy. No dream of mine fits that model.

How do we know that... how do we know what a "gods" dreams are like? Anyways, you asked if "god is blind" ... If god is even one character in this world that is dreaming, then it is seeing... therefore not blind, just asleep.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 4:13:29 AM

https://www.youtube.com...

if u know what i mean :)
Never fart near dog
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 4:19:09 AM
At 9/15/2016 4:05:12 AM, Outplayz wrote:

How do we know that... how do we know what a "gods" dreams are like?

We know what dreams are. If you want to pervert the meaning of the word then what are we discussing? You start with a supposition and then you add another supposition to it. Why should I be interested in your chain of suppositions?

Anyways, you asked if "god is blind" ... If god is even one character in this world that is dreaming, then it is seeing... therefore not blind, just asleep.

God is asleep? I asked you to think about the ramifications. Have you?

I have already pointed out the unreality of dreams. I have no desire to refute the same assertion endlessly.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 4:31:21 AM
At 9/15/2016 4:19:09 AM, dee-em wrote:

We know what dreams are. If you want to pervert the meaning of the word then what are we discussing? You start with a supposition and then you add another supposition to it. Why should I be interested in your chain of suppositions?

You can be interested in whatever you want. I guess you are looking for those that are "iron clad" in their beliefs, for all i have for you are suppositions. I am not blind enough (heh pun) to say that i know anything 100% here. Yet... i don't understand why you would rather speak to the blind. Whatever satisfies you in the end of the day i guess. Plus, your work is a good one... trying to wake up the blind is equally important to me, for when you are not in control of your dreams... anything could happen. With demons in all of us, that is not a good thing.

Anyways, you asked if "god is blind" ... If god is even one character in this world that is dreaming, then it is seeing... therefore not blind, just asleep.

I have already pointed out the unreality of dreams. I have no desire to refute the same assertion endlessly.

Yes. You are looking at it much differently than i am. I guess i was merely trying to be creative in my answer... but i am not about to try and define gods... i barely have myself down to worry about others.

Yet... i am going to pull my own ego here a little. If i defined a god as Odin (a transcendent being). And said, when he sleeps he becomes a person in this world... how can that be proven wrong? Plus, it answers your question... Odin has eyes making him not blind.

You must be talking about another god... that other god bores me to be honest.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 4:55:58 AM
No, as an atheist I have no belief in gods so I rely on the definitions provided by theists who claim to know things about their god.

Which definitions are you relying on to base your disbelief?

You made such a claim. I have merely pointed out the logical conclusion of your claim. Why are you in this thread if your position is that God is literally nothing? We can't discuss the blindness of nothing. That would be absurd.

I never said God is blind. I said God is nothing; so, in answer to your question, "Is God blind?" My answer is "No."
loveymore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 7:04:34 AM

You don't have to, I just think ones sleep can be powerful enough, if he can call everything a day.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 7:09:05 AM
At 9/15/2016 4:55:58 AM, s-anthony wrote:

I never said God is blind. I said God is nothing; so, in answer to your question, "Is God blind?" My answer is "No."

Something which does not exist,ie, nothing, cannot be blind, or sighted.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 7:15:00 AM
At 9/15/2016 4:13:29 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:

I'm sure that video is good, whatever it is, but I don't click on blind links. Pun intended.
Sorry. :-)
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 7:35:28 AM
At 9/15/2016 4:31:21 AM, Outplayz wrote:

You can be interested in whatever you want. I guess you are looking for those that are "iron clad" in their beliefs, for all i have for you are suppositions. I am not blind enough (heh pun) to say that i know anything 100% here. Yet... i don't understand why you would rather speak to the blind.

I'm sorry? No-one here is claiming to know everything 100%. That certainly doesn't mean we should entertain or embrace any notion that someone dreams up (pun intended). There is an adjective for people who do that: gullible.

Whatever satisfies you in the end of the day i guess. Plus, your work is a good one... trying to wake up the blind is equally important to me, for when you are not in control of your dreams... anything could happen. With demons in all of us, that is not a good thing.

Yes. You are looking at it much differently than i am. I guess i was merely trying to be creative in my answer... but i am not about to try and define gods... i barely have myself down to worry about others.

Yet... i am going to pull my own ego here a little. If i defined a god as Odin (a transcendent being). And said, when he sleeps he becomes a person in this world... how can that be proven wrong? Plus, it answers your question... Odin has eyes making him not blind.

This has so many layers of wrong that I am not sure where to begin. Let's start with the burden of proof. Do you understand this concept?

You must be talking about another god... that other god bores me to be honest.

I addressed this topic to believers, obviously. If you are bored by the God of the believers, why pollute this thread with your personal (and unique) philosophical ramblings? What did you hope to achieve?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 7:55:36 AM
At 9/15/2016 4:55:58 AM, s-anthony wrote:

Any and all of them.

Stop with the tedious sophistry. Yes, a non-existent being cannot be blind. Neither can it see. Since the OP was premised on an immaterial god somehow existing outside the universe (even though I don't share that belief) I am wondering where we go from here since you have nothing interesting to say on the actual subject matter. Your purpose in entering this thread was what exactly?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 7:57:56 AM
At 9/15/2016 7:04:34 AM, loveymore wrote:

You don't have to, I just think ones sleep can be powerful enough, if he can call everything a day.

Word salad. Give me a coherent response and I will try and answer you.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 8:32:50 AM
At 9/15/2016 7:15:00 AM, dee-em wrote:

I'm sure that video is good, whatever it is, but I don't click on blind links. Pun intended.

lol less than a minute..
Quran 42:11 - There is nothing like unto Him

comparing God to our physical being is absurd...
Never fart near dog
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 10:17:52 AM
At 9/15/2016 8:32:50 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 9/15/2016 7:15:00 AM, dee-em wrote:

lol less than a minute..
Quran 42:11 - There is nothing like unto Him

comparing God to our physical being is absurd...

Where have I done that?
I merely raise the issue of vision. I don't care how he does it but unless he can detect photons he must be blind, by definition. Yes?
loveymore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 10:31:00 AM
At 9/15/2016 7:57:56 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 9/15/2016 7:04:34 AM, loveymore wrote:

Word salad. Give me a coherent response and I will try and answer you.

Can you please explain me than ramifications and coherence of someone being asleep?
Q-ter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 10:43:20 AM

Does anyone disagree with this conclusion and why? : :

God disagrees with you.

Psalm 94
7: and they say, "The LORD does not see; the God of Jacob does not perceive."
8: Understand, O dullest of the people! Fools, when will you be wise?
9: He who planted the ear, does he not hear? He who formed the eye, does he not see?
10: He who chastens the nations, does he not chastise? He who teaches men knowledge,
11: the LORD, knows the thoughts of man, that they are but a breath.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 11:02:44 AM
At 9/15/2016 10:43:20 AM, Q-ter wrote:

Does anyone disagree with this conclusion and why? : :

God disagrees with you.

Psalm 94
7: and they say, "The LORD does not see; the God of Jacob does not perceive."
8: Understand, O dullest of the people! Fools, when will you be wise?
9: He who planted the ear, does he not hear? He who formed the eye, does he not see?
10: He who chastens the nations, does he not chastise? He who teaches men knowledge,
11: the LORD, knows the thoughts of man, that they are but a breath.

Where and when did she say that?