Jump to topic:

Psychopaths and Sin

matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 3:32:46 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Psychopaths were born without the proper brain mechanisms necessary to produce the feeling of empathy. Regardless of your worldview, if you are not a psychopath, you don't want others to suffer. Some behavior is wrong because empathy tells us so.

http://psychcentral.com...

If human morality matters to God, why would an interventionist God make a man without the ability to feel empathy when most people can? If he is going to be punished for his "sins", wouldn't that be cruel of an all-powerful God to create him without the ability to succeed and then burn and torture him forever for failing? How is that not psychopathic itself?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 3:55:14 AM
At 9/17/2016 3:32:46 AM, matt8800 wrote:
Psychopaths were born without the proper brain mechanisms necessary to produce the feeling of empathy. Regardless of your worldview, if you are not a psychopath, you don't want others to suffer. Some behavior is wrong because empathy tells us so.

If human morality matters to God, why would an interventionist God make a man without the ability to feel empathy when most people can?

Name a man that God created without any ability to empathize. I can't think of any, since He only created one.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 7:41:54 AM
At 9/17/2016 3:55:14 AM, annanicole wrote:

If human morality matters to God, why would an interventionist God make a man without the ability to feel empathy when most people can?

Name a man that God created without any ability to empathize. I can't think of any, since He only created one.

That was sharp, but isn't God creating all souls and not just one?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 7:48:16 AM
At 9/17/2016 7:41:54 AM, Otokage wrote:

Empathy is not a trait of the spirit. Empathy is developed, and is both cognitive and emotional.

Adam and Eve were created. All of the rest of us are here by procreation. Thus God isn't "creating" anyone without empathy, just as He isn't "creating" people with congenital heart defects.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 7:49:09 AM
At 9/17/2016 7:48:16 AM, annanicole wrote:

Empathy is not a trait of the spirit. Empathy is developed, and is both cognitive and emotional.

Adam and Eve were created. All of the rest of us are here by procreation. Thus God isn't "creating" anyone without empathy, just as He isn't "creating" people with congenital heart defects.

From where do you get that empathy is not a trait of the soul?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 7:53:17 AM
At 9/17/2016 7:49:09 AM, Otokage wrote:

From the fact that the Bible does not teach that the ability to empathize is a trait of the spirit within man. In fact, some researchers advance the claim that animals other than humans exhibit empathy.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 8:04:42 AM
At 9/17/2016 7:53:17 AM, annanicole wrote:

From the fact that the Bible does not teach that the ability to empathize is a trait of the spirit within man. In fact, some researchers advance the claim that animals other than humans exhibit empathy.

Hm... Do we agree that love is not possible without empathy?

Btw does the Bible mention that only humans (and not the rest of the animals) have a soul?
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 8:05:18 AM

If human morality matters to God, why would an interventionist God make a man without the ability to feel empathy when most people can? If he is going to be punished for his "sins", wouldn't that be cruel of an all-powerful God to create him without the ability to succeed and then burn and torture him forever for failing? How is that not psychopathic itself?

The god featured in the Bible is a psychopath if what is attributed to it had any veracity.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 8:50:32 AM

So, you conveniently think that if a human is born with a defect, whether congenital or otherwise, it isn't God's fault?
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 11:16:43 AM
At 9/17/2016 8:50:32 AM, Willows wrote:

So, you conveniently think that if a human is born with a defect, whether congenital or otherwise, it isn't God's fault?

The usual fallback of the godbotherers on that one is that it is all sadam and steve's fault for eating fruit.
rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 12:30:10 PM
At 9/17/2016 11:16:43 AM, desmac wrote:

The usual fallback of the godbotherers on that one is that it is all sadam and steve's fault for eating fruit.

Actually it was Adam and Eves rebellion that caused the second law of thermodynamics to come into effect, when Eve was deceived by the serpent and Adam supported her actions.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 12:34:10 PM
At 9/17/2016 12:30:10 PM, rnjs wrote:

Actually it was Adam and Eves rebellion that caused the second law of thermodynamics to come into effect, when Eve was deceived by the serpent and Adam supported her actions.

If the A&E story was true and not a fairy tale, good for them for putting up two fingers to the evil god!
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 12:36:09 PM

Of course it isn't. No moreso that if a cat or dog is born with a PDA.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 1:12:24 PM

What would that have to do with a congenital heart defect, in anybody's estimation?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 1:44:08 PM

Modern neurosciences don't really deal with things like "spirits", that was long ago abandoned when folks started to understand more of how the brain works, which is where empathy has evolved in humans. It is actually those brains that show a lack of empathy (sociopaths and psychopaths) whose parts of brain where empathy resides do not make the proper connections. This circuitry cannot be fixed if not working correctly, hence empathy cannot be developed.

Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 1:49:46 PM
At 9/17/2016 1:44:08 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Modern neurosciences don't really deal with things like "spirits", that was long ago abandoned when folks started to understand more of how the brain works, which is where empathy has evolved in humans. It is actually those brains that show a lack of empathy (sociopaths and psychopaths) whose parts of brain where empathy resides do not make the proper connections. This circuitry cannot be fixed if not working correctly, hence empathy cannot be developed.

Empathy develops in different degrees in all people, provided the "neurocircuitry" is normal. Normal people are not born with it (or it's not detectable, anyway), but even as infants begin to develop it. However, I will say that my specialty is more along the lines of internal medicine, not psychiatry.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 1:59:05 PM
At 9/17/2016 1:49:46 PM, annanicole wrote:

Empathy develops in different degrees in all people, provided the "neurocircuitry" is normal. Normal people are not born with it (or it's not detectable, anyway), but even as infants begin to develop it. However, I will say that my specialty is more along the lines of internal medicine, not psychiatry.

Sorry, but studies show empathy exists in babies and infants and show what parts of the brain empathy resides. Try again.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 2:05:54 PM
At 9/17/2016 1:59:05 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Sorry, but studies show empathy exists in babies and infants and show what parts of the brain empathy resides. Try again.

Could you point me to the study, preferably a peer-reviewed one, which provides evidence that empathy exists and is detectable/documentable in a baby. I don't mean a newborn, but we'll say a week old or under.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 2:09:26 PM

Sorry, but I never stated nor even implied that we did not know the area of the brain in which empathy is triggered. My degree, however, is not as high as yours. I'm only a PhD, and never ascended to your level.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 2:19:30 PM
At 9/17/2016 2:09:26 PM, annanicole wrote:

Sorry, but I never stated nor even implied that we did not know the area of the brain in which empathy is triggered. My degree, however, is not as high as yours. I'm only a PhD, and never ascended to your level.

Yes, many theists here make claims of their advanced education, yet they cannot show any of it and seem quite content to play the part of the high school drop out.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 2:23:12 PM
At 9/17/2016 12:30:10 PM, rnjs wrote:

Where did you hear that?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 2:23:55 PM
At 9/17/2016 2:19:30 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Yes, many theists here make claims of their advanced education, yet they cannot show any of it and seem quite content to play the part of the high school drop out.

We'll see when you produce those studies. I think we'll find out who knows what he/she is talking about because my supposition is that you will not produce a one. Remember, you are the one who advanced the claim - not me. I said that empathy develops.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 2:24:03 PM

Oh of course, the original sin.

I know a woman who has raised 2 severely autistic sons from birth (her husband left early on in the peace, blaming the defects on "her genes"). Neither of them can even wipe his own backside, let alone feed himself, one is profoundly blind and niether can utter a cohesive sentence. She works hard, studies and loves those kids and refuses to put them in an institution.

I would love to grab a bunch of those godbotherers by their collective ears, take them around to this woman's home and let them explain to her how her sons are the way they are.

Religion...the greatest scapegoat ever invented.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 2:28:12 PM
At 9/17/2016 2:23:55 PM, annanicole wrote:

We'll see when you produce those studies. I think we'll find out who knows what he/she is talking about because my supposition is that you will not produce a one. Remember, you are the one who advanced the claim - not me. I said that empathy develops.

As early as 18 to 72 hours following birth, ne
wborns who were exposed to the sound of
another infant crying often disp
layed distress reactions
, a phenomenon referred to as reflexive or
reactive crying, or emotional contagion (Martin
& Clark 1982; Sagi & Hoffman 1976; Simner
1971). Newborns responded more strongly to anothe
r infant"s cry than to
a variety of control
stimuli, including silence, white noise, synt
hetic cry sounds, non-human cry sounds, and their
own cry (Martin & Clark 1982; Sagi & Hoffman
1976; Simner 1971). This suggests that infant
distress reactions to the cry of a
nother infant are not simply a re
sponse to the aversive noise of
the cry; rather, they may be a very early prec
ursor to empathic responding.

http://www.psy.miami.edu...

The youngest infa
nts" responses were comprised
of primarily physical actions, whereas by 18 to
20 months, toddlers were
capable of a wide
variety of helping behaviors, su
ch as verbal comfort and advi
ce, sharing, and distracting the
person in distress

(Zahn-Waxler
et al.
1992a)
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 2:28:45 PM

Yeah, we saw that when you introduced the brilliant statement, "Sorry, but studies show ... what parts of the brain empathy resides" as if anybody ever questioned it. It's as if you need to apologize for someone else's ignorance, an ignorance that you invented all by yourself just so you could point out what everyone already knows.

At any rate, I'd love to see those studies that you cited which indicate that empathy already exists in newborns. I'd like to critique the methodology of those studies. The only glitch is: there aren't any such studies.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 2:30:22 PM

Your assertion is unsubstantiated. It is just an opinion that disagrees with actual studies. People with neurobiology associated with psychopathy are unable to feel empathy.

Do you think children that do not have psychopathy wiring would cut up their puppy if they are not told to not do that? If you think that, you haven't been around very many children. They are naturally empathetic sometimes despite environment. If you disagree, provide sources (you cant because they don't exist).

I agree that there is no god that intervenes despite people's belief otherwise.

So, if my claim that psychopaths are born and not made is true (it is), an all-powerful God chooses to not give them the ability to produce empathy?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 2:32:06 PM
At 9/17/2016 2:28:12 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

layed distress reactions
r infant"s cry than to
a variety of control

The youngest infa
20 months, toddlers were
capable of a wide
person in distress

(Zahn-Waxler
et al.
1992a)

Hell, newborn kittens do that, dude - and they can't hear very well. That's hardly empathy.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 2:32:25 PM

There is no way to prove the psychopath was born, instead of being created as an effect from being subjected to the tragedies of emotional horror. The beginnings to this abuse can begin as early as inside the womb once the completion to the pineal gland allows way for the soul to enter. To the consciousness born inside to the mother of neglect, of all ways physical and emotional to a baby that thinks before it can verbally speak, it is here that the conditions to one's capacity for love begin.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 2:34:00 PM
At 9/17/2016 7:53:17 AM, annanicole wrote:

Yes, it is most prevalent in mammals. My guess would be that it has some correlation with the intelligence of the animal.

Regardless, we don't need the bible, the quran, the book of Mormon or any other book, to teach us anything about it. When people follow the bible, they start thinking crazy things like seizures are from demon possession.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2016 2:34:43 PM
At 9/17/2016 2:28:12 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

layed distress reactions
r infant"s cry than to
a variety of control

The youngest infa
20 months, toddlers were
capable of a wide
person in distress

(Zahn-Waxler
et al.
1992a)

The best the those researchers could do was point out some subjective findings and conclude that they "may be a very early precursor to empathic responding" ??????

Yeah, and they may not be. We need something ... ummm ... a little more concrete than a "may be" to confirm your assertion that "studies show empathy exists in babies." Try again.