Jump to topic:

Deep time

rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 12:07:30 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
There are a number of processes that evolutionists claim take millions of years to occur but observation shows that they don't need eons to happen. Fossilization and sedimentary deposition are two of the more obvious ones, so I am curious as to the deep timers answer to this.
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 12:27:14 AM
At 9/18/2016 12:07:30 AM, rnjs wrote:
There are a number of processes that evolutionists claim take millions of years to occur but observation shows that they don't need eons to happen. Fossilization and sedimentary deposition are two of the more obvious ones, so I am curious as to the deep timers answer to this.

For my two cents: Science does not deal with absolute truths but with the most likely truths based on the knowledge we have. As our knowledge grows, scientific truths are re-adjusted. Religion on the other hand holds on its dogma as hard as it can no matter how inconsistent it ends up sounding. It's a shame really because there is nothing in science that contradicts the existence of God but by nitpicking science, it becomes rather hard to take religion seriously.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 12:54:00 AM

Apples and oranges, those are two different processes.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 1:04:10 AM

If we just take fossilization, it's not the speed of fossilization that is the issue (it can vary depending on the type of fossilization and the environmental conditions) but the age of the fossil. You are therefore attacking a strawman. Your real problem is the dating of fossils.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 2:08:22 AM

I think maybe you have a wire crossed. Fossilisation is one of the forms of scientific evidences used in determing events and processes. Irrespective of how long something takes to fossilise, it is the chronoloy of each fossil that gives accurate clues. Fossilisation is going on now at different rates depending on climate, soil structure etc. as it has for billions of years.

What is hard for most people to understand or appreciate is the process of evolution itself occurs over millions upon millions of years.

The human being is changing, for example some organs are becoming redundant (tonsils, appendix, gall bladder) while others are developing (brain, heart, liver) as man adapts to his environment. But this is happening at an extremely slow rate. Come back in a couple of million years and there may be no tonsils, appendix or gall bladder at all. Humans may have larger heads and chests.

You cannot see grass grow, nor can you see the hour hand of a clock move, but they are both happening.

Just as any thinking atheist has studied religious texts so should any thinking theist study good scientific texts.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 2:12:48 AM
At 9/18/2016 12:54:00 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

There's going to be a war coming soon. No saving you. You've wasted a lifetime being an anal scumbag. You won't even know what hit you, until it's too late. It's not too late, yet. You still have a minute to change. You can still learn. Power play. Two sides. Neither one has time for the atheists that go hellbent on misinforming those that care. Shills. Filthy animals either with ignorance or a twisted sense of what's right. Some say the money pays okay. Riiight. To be in anything for money alone is always wrong. You'd be surprised what one can do and get away with, if the intentions to the soul are pure. But you don't have a soul. Your words. Oh well. I thought this might be an actual thread that could maybe go deep. But here you are playing the shallow guy with oceans of intellections better seen as a puddle. Muddy water. Don't waste any time. Time to get clean. Big things coming. Promise.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 2:44:14 AM

I don't know about you, but the title to this thread sucks, even if all you care to do is excavate another fossilized discussion of evolution. Really? Scroll the archives and see all the useless mumblings chattering to nowhere. You're just becoming another brick on the problem that walls out anything interesting. Maybe that's the intent. If not, how deep can you go? Ever seen a jeep manifest out of thin air? Think matrix. Wow. What if that were almost true. Blows the mind. Or you'd think. What really begins to scramble the noodle is who's good and who's bad. Draw on science. Get to the front of that class, and stay there for a minute. There's nothing happen there that says what I just said, can't be true. Go deeper. Go so deep that instincts become the only way you can see. Tunnel so deep you just might find a way out of this unless easy maze, once you find the door. And go through that door, if you're like me you just might want to come back in to stir up the madness. What a game.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:55:50 AM
From the title, I thought this thread would be about theoretical physics or the space-time continuum or something. And how they could potentially relate to an infinite, omnipresent superbeing.

Gotta admit -- little disappointed.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 5:23:36 AM
At 9/18/2016 2:44:14 AM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

I don't know about you, but the title to this thread sucks, even if all you care to do is excavate another fossilized discussion of evolution. Really? Scroll the archives and see all the useless mumblings chattering to nowhere. You're just becoming another brick on the problem that walls out anything interesting. Maybe that's the intent. If not, how deep can you go? Ever seen a jeep manifest out of thin air? Think matrix. Wow. What if that were almost true. Blows the mind. Or you'd think. What really begins to scramble the noodle is who's good and who's bad. Draw on science. Get to the front of that class, and stay there for a minute. There's nothing happen there that says what I just said, can't be true. Go deeper. Go so deep that instincts become the only way you can see. Tunnel so deep you just might find a way out of this unless easy maze, once you find the door. And go through that door, if you're like me you just might want to come back in to stir up the madness. What a game.

Maybe it is just a game. All i know is, once you go through that door you cant close it.

Im not sure i want to though.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 7:01:24 AM

That's all a bit rich coming from someone who gets his knowledge and inspiration from Dr. Seuss.
rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 1:14:55 PM
At 9/18/2016 12:27:14 AM, Silly_Billy wrote:

For my two cents: Science does not deal with absolute truths but with the most likely truths based on the knowledge we have. As our knowledge grows, scientific truths are re-adjusted. Religion on the other hand holds on its dogma as hard as it can no matter how inconsistent it ends up sounding. It's a shame really because there is nothing in science that contradicts the existence of God but by nitpicking science, it becomes rather hard to take religion seriously.

And yet science proclaims many things to be true and holds fast to conclusions that have been shown to be wrong only rejecting them when some knew interpretation comes along.
Secular scientists promote the concept of no creator either directly or subtly depending on their bias, but that isn't what this post is about anyway.
rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 1:23:37 PM

Processes that don't require the alleged millions of years
rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 1:25:25 PM
At 9/18/2016 2:12:48 AM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

There's going to be a war coming soon. No saving you. You've wasted a lifetime being an anal scumbag. You won't even know what hit you, until it's too late. It's not too late, yet. You still have a minute to change. You can still learn. Power play. Two sides. Neither one has time for the atheists that go hellbent on misinforming those that care. Shills. Filthy animals either with ignorance or a twisted sense of what's right. Some say the money pays okay. Riiight. To be in anything for money alone is always wrong. You'd be surprised what one can do and get away with, if the intentions to the soul are pure. But you don't have a soul. Your words. Oh well. I thought this might be an actual thread that could maybe go deep. But here you are playing the shallow guy with oceans of intellections better seen as a puddle. Muddy water. Don't waste any time. Time to get clean. Big things coming. Promise.

Whatever this has to do with the subject?
rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 1:31:04 PM
At 9/18/2016 2:08:22 AM, Willows wrote:

I think maybe you have a wire crossed. Fossilisation is one of the forms of scientific evidences used in determing events and processes. Irrespective of how long something takes to fossilise, it is the chronoloy of each fossil that gives accurate clues. Fossilisation is going on now at different rates depending on climate, soil structure etc. as it has for billions of years.
So the age of a fossil has nothing to do with it?
What is hard for most people to understand or appreciate is the process of evolution itself occurs over millions upon millions of years.

The human being is changing, for example some organs are becoming redundant (tonsils, appendix, gall bladder) while others are developing (brain, heart, liver) as man adapts to his environment. But this is happening at an extremely slow rate. Come back in a couple of million years and there may be no tonsils, appendix or gall bladder at all. Humans may have larger heads and chests.
Humans may be able to live without certain organs but they all have a purpose.
You cannot see grass grow, nor can you see the hour hand of a clock move, but they are both happening.
"We know evolution is happening, we just can't see it happening"?
Just as any thinking atheist has studied religious texts so should any thinking theist study good scientific texts.

As with many Christians I have studied the texts.
rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 1:32:03 PM
At 9/18/2016 3:55:50 AM, Casten wrote:
From the title, I thought this thread would be about theoretical physics or the space-time continuum or something. And how they could potentially relate to an infinite, omnipresent superbeing.

Gotta admit -- little disappointed.

Sorry
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 1:36:55 PM
At 9/18/2016 1:14:55 PM, rnjs wrote:

And yet science proclaims many things to be true and holds fast to conclusions that have been shown to be wrong only rejecting them when some knew interpretation comes along.
Secular scientists promote the concept of no creator either directly or subtly depending on their bias, but that isn't what this post is about anyway.

To question the existence of a creator is not the same of promoting the concept that there is no creator though I will concede that science can be biased. Whereas the idea that it holds fast to conclusions that have been shown to be wrong is concerned, the problem that I see is that the people who try to show them the wrongness of their conclusions only do so in an attempt to sell even more outlandish conclusions than the ones that they are trying to debunk.

When reading this, the impression that I get is that this is another attempt to ridicule the whole idea of evolution so that the Bible's idea of the Earth being only about 6000 years old can be sold again and that is an idea that is simply to ridiculous to even contemplate. You will find more truth in a fairytale than in the Bible's idea of how the universe came to be.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 1:40:13 PM
At 9/18/2016 1:31:04 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 9/18/2016 2:08:22 AM, Willows wrote:

So the age of a fossil has nothing to do with it?

Humans may be able to live without certain organs but they all have a purpose.
"We know evolution is happening, we just can't see it happening"?

As with many Christians I have studied the texts.

So what do your observations show?
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 1:47:30 PM
At 9/18/2016 5:23:36 AM, janesix wrote:

Maybe it is just a game. All i know is, once you go through that door you cant close it.

Im not sure i want to though.

Yeah. Life. It's just a game. For me it's a game on one level that has absolutely no lasting consequences. Maybe. That level is the only place where I sit behind the veil to the thoughts and actions to walking within this world. This world, being the playground for the game, doesn't seem to allow all my memories to play within it. It must be a violation to the rules. Seems fair enough. But what is the purpose for playing(?) On the outside when going home, I can easily remember this purpose. It's the first recollection that is reminded with a laughibility to its forgetfulness. And this says something. It says I'm expected each time when jumping back inside the game that I'm expecting myself to obtain this important purpose. Except, I'm not entirely sure to say just how important it is.. Because when the amnesia all washes away its ignorance to such an important remembrance, what's first remembered is how easy this purpose is to accomplish. This is likely why I'm laughing at myself when I've become capable of thinking about it. But right now it feels quite frustrating. What makes this situation worse is nobody can help me. The ones that don't have the answers are the ones that ridicule my curiosities. They say you're crazy. The ones that do have the answers tell me to just Stfu, then walk away leaving my larger curiosities further perplexed. They say my problem is that I think too much. But I only think to much because I see all the angles. When you can see all the angles, you can see through all the bad, to then see what's about it that is good. Maybe that was all along my purpose: to see the goodness inside all things seen bad.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 2:30:54 PM
At 9/18/2016 1:25:25 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 9/18/2016 2:12:48 AM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

Whatever this has to do with the subject?

I wasn't talking to you. I just didn't care enough to take the time to erase you from the post. Your subject sucks anyways. And you're doing a pitiful job with responding to the expected remarks. Every minute a new thread pops up towards discussions of evolution that if you truly cared, you'd take better time to clutter up this mess within the science section to keep these small minds best where they belong. Keep them in the one place that has all the answers until that moment of clarity arrives the following day that realizes they were wrong, until the following day awakens to come back with a new and improved answer that once again has them boasting to be standing front of the class as the teacher to what's now right.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 2:43:50 PM

so science truth is no truth at all just our best guess at that time...
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 2:54:50 PM
At 9/18/2016 2:43:50 PM, graceofgod wrote:

In my opinion yes, there are plenty of examples in the past of scientific truths that were replaced by newer truths but at least science is the one doctrine that tries to get to the truth without getting stuck in uncomprimising dogma.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 2:56:37 PM
At 9/18/2016 2:54:50 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:

In my opinion yes, there are plenty of examples in the past of scientific truths that were replaced by newer truths but at least science is the one doctrine that tries to get to the truth without getting stuck in uncomprimising dogma.

but that means the truth is worth nothing, how can we teach anyone a truth that could change in a day, week, month, year etc... it is not a truth and cannot be accepted as one...
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:09:08 PM
At 9/18/2016 2:56:37 PM, graceofgod wrote:

but that means the truth is worth nothing, how can we teach anyone a truth that could change in a day, week, month, year etc... it is not a truth and cannot be accepted as one...

If our ancestors had looked it at from that point of view, we would still be living in caves today. Science and the truths it gives us does have value as it provides us with a better understanding of the universe, the world around us, and our place in this world. Without the truths that science has provides, false or not, there would be no culture, no knowledge, and not even dogma or religion. Religion after all was the first attempt to make sence of the world.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:11:52 PM
Don't let it worry your tiny mind it's just something that scientists made up like that computer you aren't using right now. Scientists don't know anything compared to stone age Ug & Gug.
You stick with Ug & Gug.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:18:31 PM

Science with their "best guess at that time" has brought you everything you have, yet your holy book with it's absolute truths has kept you ignorant and brought you nothing.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:22:20 PM
At 9/18/2016 3:09:08 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:
At 9/18/2016 2:56:37 PM, graceofgod wrote:

If our ancestors had looked it at from that point of view, we would still be living in caves today. Science and the truths it gives us does have value as it provides us with a better understanding of the universe, the world around us, and our place in this world. Without the truths that science has provides, false or not, there would be no culture, no knowledge, and not even dogma or religion. Religion after all was the first attempt to make sence of the world.

but what they tell us are not truths and should not be stated as such, they should state them as man's best guess at the time...
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:24:02 PM
At 9/18/2016 3:18:31 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Science with their "best guess at that time" has brought you everything you have, yet your holy book with it's absolute truths has kept you ignorant and brought you nothing.

some science is good and provable, it's when they went away from observable, testable, repeatable that they got carried away..
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:29:13 PM
At 9/18/2016 3:24:02 PM, graceofgod wrote:

some science is good and provable, it's when they went away from observable, testable, repeatable that they got carried away..

That hasn't happened of course. Your version of what happens in the real world has yet to be shown to be anywhere near valid.
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:31:10 PM
At 9/18/2016 3:22:20 PM, graceofgod wrote:
but what they tell us are not truths and should not be stated as such, they should state them as man's best guess at the time...

And why is that? Religious people sell their religion as the so called "truth" and scientific truths are far more truthful then religious truths will ever be.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:32:57 PM
At 9/18/2016 3:29:13 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/18/2016 3:24:02 PM, graceofgod wrote:

That hasn't happened of course. Your version of what happens in the real world has yet to be shown to be anywhere near valid.

of course it has, the big bang, evolution have moved away from testable, observable, repeatable...