Jump to topic:

A definition of marriage

Abook
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 9:41:05 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
In my religion class (I am a Catholic) I learned that the definition of marriage is "a lifelong communion between one man and one woman, established by their free consent, for the purpose of begetting and educating children." I would like to learn what parts of this definition you guys think are wrong and why you think those parts are wrong. I will do my best to respond to your post quickly and am looking forward to hearing your perspectives on this subject.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 10:16:13 AM
At 9/18/2016 9:41:05 AM, Abook wrote:
In my religion class (I am a Catholic) I learned that the definition of marriage is "a lifelong communion between one man and one woman, established by their free consent, for the purpose of begetting and educating children." I would like to learn what parts of this definition you guys think are wrong and why you think those parts are wrong. I will do my best to respond to your post quickly and am looking forward to hearing your perspectives on this subject.

What you learnt in religion class is far from what mainstream society regards as marriage. Whether you like it or not we live in a tolerant civilised society nowadays and the Catholic way of promoting draconian, sexist and anti-social rules is further ensuring its slide into oblivion. The sooner the better.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 10:17:29 AM

A marriage is a union, involving vows, between two people of the age of consent, gay or straight.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 10:24:42 AM

The definition of marriage is also within the legal system of the united states if that's where you live.
It's definition is basically that people become legally bound by laws on how they should interact with each other if the marriage is dissolved. If prior agreements aren't made then the state has the power over the individuals in regards to what their relationship will be once not married. That's a weird way of saying getting married simply makes you liable to follow certain rules that you must adhere to if the marriage ends. Who gives who money. Who has the majority custody of children. Who gets what community property etc. And marriage from a legally binding contract is by law available to any race, sex, religious affiliation...etc. If it's a contract it cannot specifically be held to a man and a woman because that would be discrimination under federal laws and actually local laws too. So in this instance marriage has different meanings, yours being a religious based idea and the actual "marriage license" aspect in this sociey makes it nothing more than an agreed upon contract between people.
It's like I've always maintained. Same sex marriage has always been legal from a technical standpoint it was tradition and lobbyist for insurance companies, I'm assuming, that kept the idea of same sex marriage debatable. I'm certain there were religious law makers who were given money to maintain the public rhetoric of same sex isn't marriage. But based on the license from the state same sex should have never been an issue. It's basic civil rights stuff. I find it kind of coincidental that same sex marriage was an issue on the tail of Obama Care. The insurance lobbyists no longer need to try to lobby against covering two men who are "partners" because it's now the law everyone should get insurance anyway.
I shouldn't have typed that, I'm on medication....lol
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 10:30:03 AM
At 9/18/2016 10:24:42 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

The definition of marriage is also within the legal system of the united states if that's where you live.
It's definition is basically that people become legally bound by laws on how they should interact with each other if the marriage is dissolved. If prior agreements aren't made then the state has the power over the individuals in regards to what their relationship will be once not married. That's a weird way of saying getting married simply makes you liable to follow certain rules that you must adhere to if the marriage ends. Who gives who money. Who has the majority custody of children. Who gets what community property etc. And marriage from a legally binding contract is by law available to any race, sex, religious affiliation...etc. If it's a contract it cannot specifically be held to a man and a woman because that would be discrimination under federal laws and actually local laws too. So in this instance marriage has different meanings, yours being a religious based idea and the actual "marriage license" aspect in this sociey makes it nothing more than an agreed upon contract between people.
It's like I've always maintained. Same sex marriage has always been legal from a technical standpoint it was tradition and lobbyist for insurance companies, I'm assuming, that kept the idea of same sex marriage debatable. I'm certain there were religious law makers who were given money to maintain the public rhetoric of same sex isn't marriage. But based on the license from the state same sex should have never been an issue. It's basic civil rights stuff. I find it kind of coincidental that same sex marriage was an issue on the tail of Obama Care. The insurance lobbyists no longer need to try to lobby against covering two men who are "partners" because it's now the law everyone should get insurance anyway.
I shouldn't have typed that, I'm on medication....lol

No, you knocked it on the head.
I think it is about time we had equality. Now gays can find out what it is like to go through divorce.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 10:50:48 AM

"for the purpose of begetting and educating children"

The will and or lack of ability to procreate is not used to exclude couples from marrying, even by catholics.

So how about you bring that point up to them and watch them do the we deny same sex couples the right to marry but don't infertile couples dance.

Then maybe, just maybe you will realize, hey these people are full of sh*t.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 11:08:23 AM

What makes you think that the Catholic Church is an authority on the definition of marriage?

Marriage has existed long before the Catholic Church appeared and has varied widely in its interpretation. For example polygamous marriage was quite common in ancient times with many cultures.
rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 12:15:45 PM
At 9/18/2016 10:16:13 AM, Willows wrote:

What you learnt in religion class is far from what mainstream society regards as marriage. Whether you like it or not we live in a tolerant civilised society nowadays and the Catholic way of promoting draconian, sexist and anti-social rules is further ensuring its slide into oblivion. The sooner the better.

Yes, people are very tolerant, except towards those things they are intolerant of.
The definition of marriage comes from scripture, not the church so that homosexuals who go through the marriage process are not really married, in Gods eyes anyway, no matter what modern society thinks.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 12:25:24 PM
At 9/18/2016 12:15:45 PM, rnjs wrote:

Yes, people are very tolerant, except towards those things they are intolerant of.
The definition of marriage comes from scripture, not the church so that homosexuals who go through the marriage process are not really married, in Gods eyes anyway, no matter what modern society thinks.

Wrong.
The definition of marriage comes from the law of the land which reflects the wishes and attitudes of modern society, no matter what scripture says.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 12:27:57 PM

You have no idea what god thinks, if it exists, it could be gay for all you know!
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 12:31:38 PM

As marriage pre-dates scripture, the definition must also.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 12:49:32 PM

Your bible and the fabricated god in it has nothing to do with marriage.
You need to learn a hell of a lot.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 1:55:57 PM
At 9/18/2016 12:27:57 PM, tarantula wrote:

You have no idea what god thinks, if it exists, it could be gay for all you know!

It could also be black, have slanted eyes with physical and mental disabilities.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 2:45:59 PM

bad question the gays in here think they are normal and two consenting adults should be able to have a relationship and get married until you bring incest in to the equation and then they change their mind like only true hypocrites can...
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:05:50 PM
At 9/18/2016 2:45:59 PM, graceofgod wrote:

bad question the gays in here think they are normal and two consenting adults should be able to have a relationship and get married until you bring incest in to the equation and then they change their mind like only true hypocrites can...

And those disgusting homosexuals know how to use punctuation.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:06:54 PM
At 9/18/2016 3:05:50 PM, desmac wrote:

wow i'm sure that will stop them being an abomination to God...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:24:43 PM

The only folks who might be interested in the Catholic version of marriage would be other Catholics, just like Muslims would be interested in the Islamic version, and so on...

However, marriage is defined from a legal aspect just like many other forms of contractual obligation. This ain't rocket science.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:25:48 PM

LOL Leave it to Gog to make a complete fool of himself, yet again. LOL
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:27:36 PM
At 9/18/2016 3:06:54 PM, graceofgod wrote:

What would stop you from being an abomination to God? Oh yes, by putting a lid on your hatred of others and your constant stream of lies. God will certainly have his way with you if you don't.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:31:34 PM
At 9/18/2016 3:25:48 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

well do you gays think those committing incest should be allowed to marry or not...??
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:34:09 PM

Which god?
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:36:32 PM

Which god?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 4:11:35 PM
At 9/18/2016 3:31:34 PM, graceofgod wrote:

well do you gays think those committing incest should be allowed to marry or not...??

And, he makes a bigger fool of himself, how is that possible. LOL.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 4:43:50 PM
At 9/18/2016 4:11:35 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

perhaps you could answer the same question...

do you think that those committing incest should be allowed to marry??
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 5:06:06 PM
At 9/18/2016 4:43:50 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/18/2016 4:11:35 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

perhaps you could answer the same question...

do you think that those committing incest should be allowed to marry??

I think you are a complete idiot who lies all the time, who is incapable of putting up a coherent point, let alone a coherent argument. Asking that question only serves to confirm this.
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 5:31:47 PM

Wouldn't you rather discuss the false Jesus sitting right now in the visible sky with his fleet of spaceships. Or maybe you'd just like to regurgitate another thread on marriage that hasn't popped up in the last two minutes. Okay. Whatever. Here's a thought. Untol death do you part, says the priest. Really? Doesn't the bible say you do not truly live until you die? It means we don't actually die. We just move onwards to another life. So to Heaven or Hell, or remain stuck here in between, do you think a mortal marriage can follow wherever it is we go? Better yet, if my wife is already in Heaven and I'm going to Hell, does she have the option to come along? Now that's love. True love they say will find you no matter where you are. So...what up with the spaceships all over the sky? Don't go there. Never take the first option. That's straight up out of the bible.
rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 5:32:59 PM
At 9/18/2016 12:31:38 PM, desmac wrote:

As marriage pre-dates scripture, the definition must also.

Scripture was likely handed down verbally or in written form from the beginning, what authoritative definition existed before the beginning
rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 5:35:09 PM
At 9/18/2016 3:24:43 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

The only folks who might be interested in the Catholic version of marriage would be other Catholics, just like Muslims would be interested in the Islamic version, and so on...

However, marriage is defined from a legal aspect just like many other forms of contractual obligation. This ain't rocket science.

Were there lawyers back at the beginning ?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 5:47:28 PM
At 9/18/2016 5:35:09 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 9/18/2016 3:24:43 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Were there lawyers back at the beginning ?

Probably not. That doesn't mean that marriage today isn't a legal matter, it is, just as much as it is a personal matter between people, just as much as it is a religious matter for religious people. Regardless, religious people must deal with the legal aspect whether they like it or not.