Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Monkey Morality

matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 5:36:56 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
I saw an interesting documentary on Chimpanzees recently. In one part, a female snuck off and mated with a male other than the male she "belonged" to. Although she tried to do it when he was not looking, he saw her mating with the other male. When she was done, he attacked her and she submitted to the beating.

Was the female monkey "immoral"?

Other than the species of the offended/offending party, how is this different than if a woman cheated on her husband?

I'm not saying that marital infidelity is nothing. I am saying to the male monkey, it was just as real to him. In the Chimpanzees mind, wouldn't it feel "immoral" to him in the same way because it caused him emotional pain? If anyone one wants to debate that point, I'm sure I can dig up a link to the documentary somewhere but he was definitely distressed.
Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 10:06:00 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/19/2016 5:36:56 AM, matt8800 wrote:
I saw an interesting documentary on Chimpanzees recently. In one part, a female snuck off and mated with a male other than the male she "belonged" to. Although she tried to do it when he was not looking, he saw her mating with the other male. When she was done, he attacked her and she submitted to the beating.

Was the female monkey "immoral"?

Other than the species of the offended/offending party, how is this different than if a woman cheated on her husband?

I'm not saying that marital infidelity is nothing. I am saying to the male monkey, it was just as real to him. In the Chimpanzees mind, wouldn't it feel "immoral" to him in the same way because it caused him emotional pain? If anyone one wants to debate that point, I'm sure I can dig up a link to the documentary somewhere but he was definitely distressed.

Watch out, Fati is going to jump on this one pretty quickly. Just the mention of monkeys gets him up in a lather. He thinks that monkeys are somehow directly related to the grandparents of atheists and throw faeces at each other.

Chimpanzees by the way are apes, not monkeys.
Otokage
Posts: 2,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 10:11:01 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/19/2016 5:36:56 AM, matt8800 wrote:
I saw an interesting documentary on Chimpanzees recently. In one part, a female snuck off and mated with a male other than the male she "belonged" to. Although she tried to do it when he was not looking, he saw her mating with the other male. When she was done, he attacked her and she submitted to the beating.

Was the female monkey "immoral"?

Other than the species of the offended/offending party, how is this different than if a woman cheated on her husband?

I'm not saying that marital infidelity is nothing. I am saying to the male monkey, it was just as real to him. In the Chimpanzees mind, wouldn't it feel "immoral" to him in the same way because it caused him emotional pain? If anyone one wants to debate that point, I'm sure I can dig up a link to the documentary somewhere but he was definitely distressed.

If other chimpanzees, husband included, are discriminating the female because of her infidelity, then indeed the clan considers adultery an immorality. Chimpanzee clans have their own culture that both influences/gets influenced by their moral code.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 4:42:42 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/19/2016 10:06:00 AM, Willows wrote:

Chimpanzees by the way are apes, not monkeys.

True, but I liked the way "monkey morality" rolled off the tongue :)
Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 5:46:10 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/20/2016 4:42:42 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 9/19/2016 10:06:00 AM, Willows wrote:

Chimpanzees by the way are apes, not monkeys.

True, but I liked the way "monkey morality" rolled off the tongue :)
Yeah, it is cool.
I learnt in sales and marketing long ago that to get onto someone's wavelength you use their language.
Since Fati seems to use the monkey mockery argument frequently it's best to throw his same words back. Some useful throw-backs for Fati, for example:
strawman
checkerboard
repeating pattern
grandmother
faeces throwing