Jump to topic:

Virgin Birth

kspi234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 9:41:45 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Hello, I am doing a research project on the virgin birth and how that relates Christians views of sex. I am interested to hear others opinions of the topic.

For my research question, i am focusing on why the virgin birth it plays such a significant role in Christian beliefs. Also, I would like to learn more about Christians relationship to sex and how that relates to the virgin birth.
Thank you for your help!
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2016 11:40:22 PM
At 9/23/2016 9:41:45 PM, kspi234 wrote:
Hello, I am doing a research project on the virgin birth and how that relates Christians views of sex. I am interested to hear others opinions of the topic.

For my research question, i am focusing on why the virgin birth it plays such a significant role in Christian beliefs. Also, I would like to learn more about Christians relationship to sex and how that relates to the virgin birth.
Thank you for your help!

It doesn't.

It relates to the nature of Christ and the role of Mary.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 12:22:38 AM

Thank you for your help!

It goes something like this. Joseph and Mary were Jews and devout in their Judaism. Judaism is a strictly monotheistic religion. Gods impregnating human women and having sons is outright blasphemy. Yet when God informed Mary that he would be doing exactly that, she said, yes please, with no hesitation. Joseph had no problem being cuckolded either. No-one in their town, including the local rabbi, seem to have objected. Is this credible or is it absurdity?
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 3:10:42 AM

Thank you for your help!

Christianity got the idea of a virgin birth from much older religions. It seems to be a popular claim. http://www.lawofattractiongps.com...

I think it stems from human hardwiring, which came first - not the religion. The religion only reinforces it. I think many males are naturally repulsed by the idea of a man other than their father giving their mother the ol' 1-2. In the religions, it probably seemed natural to give the mother of their "god" some kind of special status. If the father of the god offspring is divine, many would be turned off by the idea of another man pleasuring himself with her.

Apes (humans included) are driven to posses their mate. Due to this natural drive, it is viewed as distasteful in many societies for women to have sex with more than one man. If she had sex with God and also a man, wouldn't that mean she had multiple partners? Wouldn't that classify her as a tramp?

I would be interested to know if Christians believe Mary's hymen was intact after she was impregnated. It doesn't say in the Bible but I assume they would say no simply as a personal bias, and then use invented rationale to justify their claim.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 1:53:53 PM

Thank you for your help!

I think that you would get a more balanced and tamer view of sex by reading Penthouse Forum compared with the twisted, perverted sexual episodes contained in the bible.

The significance of the virgin birth in Christian beliefs is that if anyone is going to believe such stupid, ridiculous nonsense they will believe anything.

"Welcome to Christianity; now that you have passed the first step in believing the immaculate conception, lets try another one on you; once upon a time, and this is true, in Sodom and Gamorrah..................."
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 2:27:04 PM

Thank you for your help!

I reckon that the gospel writers talked up the idea of a 'virgin birth', because in reality Jesus was conceived out of wedlock by Joseph or another man! The gospels stories of his conception are just not credible.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 3:44:25 PM

Thank you for your help!

The virgin birth is important to Christianity for a few reasons:
1) They had a poor translation of the Old Testament and thought that the Virgin Birth was prophesied (it isn't actually)
2) The idea that Jesus was without sin.

To expand on the 2nd, in Judaism people are born unclean/with sin. If Jesus was born of a virgin, that makes it so that he doesn't inherit any sin from Joseph.
Furthermore, the Catholic Church invented the idea of the immaculate conception in order to make it so that Jesus wouldn't inherit sin from Mary either.
This would help allow Jesus to be "sinless".

As for the Christian view of sex, there are many different views from many different sect. It would be helpful if this was more specific.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 3:17:31 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 9/24/2016 12:22:38 AM, dee-em wrote:

Thank you for your help!

It goes something like this. Joseph and Mary were Jews and devout in their Judaism. Judaism is a strictly monotheistic religion. Gods impregnating human women and having sons is outright blasphemy. Yet when God informed Mary that he would be doing exactly that, she said, yes please, with no hesitation. Joseph had no problem being cuckolded either. No-one in their town, including the local rabbi, seem to have objected. Is this credible or is it absurdity?

It's absurdity of course. You were aiming for absurdity right? Bullseye Dee.

But the story in the Bible, now that is credible.
VirBinarus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 9:30:58 PM
At 9/24/2016 3:44:25 PM, SNP1 wrote:
1) They had a poor translation of the Old Testament and thought that the Virgin Birth was prophesied (it isn't actually)

To which verse are you referring?
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 9:45:19 PM
At 10/12/2016 9:30:58 PM, VirBinarus wrote:

Isaiah 7:14, which only says "young woman" but was mistranslated to say "virgin" in the LXX, which is the version the Gospel writers had best access to.
#WarOnDDO
VirBinarus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 6:08:36 AM
At 10/12/2016 9:45:19 PM, SNP1 wrote:

Isaiah 7:14, which only says "young woman" but was mistranslated to say "virgin" in the LXX, which is the version the Gospel writers had best access to.

All the translations of "העלמה"that I've found are:
Damsel, maid, virgin, a young unmarried woman of marriageable age.
Can you cite where you get just a "young woman" from?
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 7:04:11 AM
At 10/13/2016 6:08:36 AM, VirBinarus wrote:
At 10/12/2016 9:45:19 PM, SNP1 wrote:

All the translations of "העלמה"that I've found are:
Damsel, maid, virgin, a young unmarried woman of marriageable age.
Can you cite where you get just a "young woman" from?

1) The actual Hebrew it was written in (personally, not the most knowledgeable in Hebrew, but one of my professors is)
2) Almost any personal translation done by SCHOLARS (as most popular translations are done by the church and thus have a theological bias)
3) Any honest translation that uses material older than the LXX

Most footnotes include "virgin" if it says "young woman" because of how important the LXX is when it comes to the New Testament. If it says "virgin" it tends to have a footnote for "young woman", which is the actual wordage in the oldest manuscripts we have.

Honestly, if you even bothered to spend 10 minutes researching this you would actually see the truth behind this, but that seems to be too hard for the majority of the people who frequent this forum.
#WarOnDDO