Jump to topic:

The only reasonable position

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:17:00 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
The only reasonable position to take is agnosticism, as there is no way to know 100 percent whether god exists or not.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:21:09 AM
At 9/26/2016 2:17:00 AM, janesix wrote:
The only reasonable position to take is agnosticism, as there is no way to know 100 percent whether god exists or not.

OH gawd, this one again.

We can't dis-prove then in the next few days an alien mothership will come to earth & enslave us.

So, should we all be agnostics about that ?

I don't think your agnostic about that, I think your of the well, we can't disprove but yet we judge the probability of such a thing as very very low.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:22:27 AM

Faith can make up for the doubts. The benefits of believing we have purpose as well as responsibility due to and toward a greater power is enough to keep me on the believing side.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:26:10 AM
At 9/26/2016 2:21:09 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

OH gawd, this one again.

We can't dis-prove then in the next few days an alien mothership will come to earth & enslave us.

I don't think your agnostic about that, I think your of the well, we can't disprove but yet we judge the probability of such a thing as very very low.

I am agnostic about everything. Including whether or not you actually exist. You cant prove you do.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:27:14 AM
At 9/26/2016 2:26:10 AM, janesix wrote:

OH gawd, this one again.

I am agnostic about everything. Including whether or not you actually exist. You cant prove you do.

Explain to me what you think it means to be agnostic towards God and the alien mothership I describe before.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:33:03 AM
At 9/26/2016 2:27:14 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

OH gawd, this one again.

Explain to me what you think it means to be agnostic towards God and the alien mothership I describe before.

We create false realities that we fully immerse ourelves in daily and believe. Its called dreaming. How do you know you arent doing this right now?

Your mothership could come tomorrow. Prove it cant.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:35:20 AM
At 9/26/2016 2:33:03 AM, janesix wrote:

OH gawd, this one again.

We create false realities that we fully immerse ourelves in daily and believe. Its called dreaming. How do you know you arent doing this right now?

Yes, we have all seen inception and the matrix, thanks, but did you really answer my question.

You seem to be equating lack of certainty of X = therefore agnostic of X.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:37:56 AM
At 9/26/2016 2:35:20 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

OH gawd, this one again.

Yes, we have all seen inception and the matrix, thanks, but did you really answer my question.

Yes. How can you be certain of anything? I cant. Therefore it makes the most sense to remain agnostic concerning everything.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:38:10 AM

I totally agree. It is up to each and every individual to learn to believe or not. I say "learn" because we can't simply "choose" what to believe. Belief is the sum of experience.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:41:25 AM
At 9/26/2016 2:37:56 AM, janesix wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:35:20 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

OH gawd, this one again.

Yes. How can you be certain of anything? I cant. Therefore it makes the most sense to remain agnostic concerning everything.

No it doesn't, cause you have to make probability judgements.

If you come across some belief and you have, about a God, and how God wants you to kill "infidels" and failure to comply means you will burn in hell you are forced to make a probability judgement.

I assume you don't go around killing infidels to avoid hell, ergo you have made a probability judgement that the truth of such a claim and those like it are false.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:43:11 AM

OH gawd, this one again.

Just as the majority of scientists at the beginning of the 20th century judged the probability of the existence of atoms as "very, very low"? I've experienced a thousand things in my life which seem almost impossible, yet every one of them happened.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:47:47 AM
At 9/26/2016 2:43:11 AM, Idealist wrote:

OH gawd, this one again.

Just as the majority of scientists at the beginning of the 20th century judged the probability of the existence of atoms as "very, very low"? I've experienced a thousand things in my life which seem almost impossible, yet every one of them happened.

And when new information came available that changed the judgement now didn't it ?

If only there was a system where claims and probability of said claim were not written in stone, given as absolute dogma but rather subject to change on new information as it became available.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 3:40:27 AM
At 9/26/2016 2:47:47 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

OH gawd, this one again.

And when new information came available that changed the judgement now didn't it ?

If only there was a system where claims and probability of said claim were not written in stone, given as absolute dogma but rather subject to change on new information as it became available.

The atoms were there all along. The Greeks theorized them thousands of years earlier, yet "modern" scientists dismissed them. Almost every day a new scientific theory is either proposed or discarded, and of those which catch-on there are usually a near-equal number of opposing theories. Einstein's theory of light was pooh-poohed for twenty years by other "leading" theorists, then opened-up an entire new field called quantum-physics. Everything in the world is extremely unlikely. What were the odds of a "big bang"? What are the chances that there are an infinity of universes, or that they all came from nothing? When it comes to spirituality, some people see it all about them while others don't. It's extremist to claim that only your vision sees truth. Personally, I see no reason at all while people can't respect and discuss each other's beliefs, because it does feel good to debate these things.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 3:52:16 AM
Probability tells me this is a pointless conversation that within a few posts someone will reference 'omnidude, fsm, giant space crabs', someone else will get offended, and then both fundamentalists will default to the ultimate decider of debate: nanny nanny boo boo.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 4:41:25 AM

OH gawd, this one again.

Nope. They still seem pretty impossible.

If only there were. The reason knowledge comes from experience and can't simply be chosen (we can't decide whether or not we believe in creation) is that we are subjective individuals. Even when performing a supposedly objective experiment, we affect the outcome of the experiment. If I'm a moment away from certain death and I pray for some unseen being to save me, making promises of eternal fealty if he does, and then something entirely amazing happens which DOES save me, it is going to affect the my subjectivity. And this is just on the personal, philosophical level. Half of PhDs believe in a greater consciousness, yet you blithely disregard their assessments simply because they don't match yours? I've never done that, nor would I.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 5:05:46 AM

Meh, ignosticism is a much better position. https://en.wikipedia.org...

Agnosticism is treating those who claim the existence of god(s) or "God" as if they might have knowledge non-believers don't.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 12:25:21 PM

We wouldn't even be having this debate if it weren't for the fact that some smart alec entrepreneur hundreds of years ago decided to capitalise on the superstition that was rife amongst the common people of the day.

So out come some obscure literary ramblings, pieced together to make it look reasonably saleable to the gullible masses and there we have it, ruling by religion. "So instead of them believing in all kinds of gods in the form of animals, lets just invent a really bad a**ed god who everyone will be scared of and do what we tell them."

There are three things in life we can be 100% certain of:
We will die.
We will pay taxes.
There is no God.
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 12:31:39 PM
At 9/26/2016 3:40:27 AM, Idealist wrote:

OH gawd, this one again.

The atoms were there all along. The Greeks theorized them thousands of years earlier, yet "modern" scientists dismissed them. Almost every day a new scientific theory is either proposed or discarded, and of those which catch-on there are usually a near-equal number of opposing theories. Einstein's theory of light was pooh-poohed for twenty years by other "leading" theorists, then opened-up an entire new field called quantum-physics. Everything in the world is extremely unlikely. What were the odds of a "big bang"? What are the chances that there are an infinity of universes, or that they all came from nothing? When it comes to spirituality, some people see it all about them while others don't. It's extremist to claim that only your vision sees truth. Personally, I see no reason at all while people can't respect and discuss each other's beliefs, because it does feel good to debate these things.

Don't kid yourself, science has a higher standard here, there were issues of what could and could not be demonstrable.

Don't think for a moment that spiritual woo is equal to that.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 12:44:46 PM

There is no way to know anything "100%". What we call knowledge is really just a collection of determined probabilities that we act on because they appear to "work" for us, when we do.

I agree that reason would dictate that we be agnostic regarding the idea of "God". But I would point out that we humans are capable of holding more than one philosophical position at any one time. We can be agnostic and still choose to pursue a theists, or an atheist's, course of belief and action. Chosen, presumably, according to whichever seems to "work" better for us in our lives.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:44:13 PM

the problem with that position it actual makes you against God as you have not chosen to be for God, so you would be no better off than non believer...
IM-True
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 3:26:16 PM
The only reasonable position to take is agnosticism, as there is no way to know 100 percent whether god exists or not. : :

God is the one who puts us in certain positions according to His plan. We don't have any control over what we decide to do or say.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 3:36:14 PM

It depends on what "god" refers to, really. Although 100 percent knowledge is impossible in general, epistemologically speaking, it doesn't follow that a conclusion that is 98 percent certain, for example, should be discarded. I feel that I'm justified in my assertion that no claims of god* are likely to be true because I base it on demonstrable aspects of human nature and history.

*referring to any supernatural notions of god, including deistic ones.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 3:38:13 PM
At 9/26/2016 2:44:13 PM, graceofgod wrote:

the problem with that position it actual makes you against God as you have not chosen to be for God, so you would be no better off than non believer...

Typical theist mindset, you are either for or against them, there is no such word as "indifference" in their vocabularies.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 3:39:43 PM
At 9/26/2016 3:26:16 PM, IM-True wrote:
The only reasonable position to take is agnosticism, as there is no way to know 100 percent whether god exists or not. : :

God is the one who puts us in certain positions according to His plan. We don't have any control over what we decide to do or say.

Oh cool. While I'm attending an eternal barbeque where I'm the guest of honour and main course, I'll remember to give thanks that it wasn't my fault :)
IM-True
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 3:47:13 PM
At 9/26/2016 3:39:43 PM, Skeptical1 wrote:

Oh cool. While I'm attending an eternal barbeque where I'm the guest of honour and main course, I'll remember to give thanks that it wasn't my fault :) : :

It's wise to blame God instead of yourself.
Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 3:50:25 PM
At 9/26/2016 3:47:13 PM, IM-True wrote:

Oh cool. While I'm attending an eternal barbeque where I'm the guest of honour and main course, I'll remember to give thanks that it wasn't my fault :) : :

Well if I have no choice in the matter, as you say, it can hardly be my fault, can it?
IM-True
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 3:53:01 PM
At 9/26/2016 3:50:25 PM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 9/26/2016 3:47:13 PM, IM-True wrote:

Well if I have no choice in the matter, as you say, it can hardly be my fault, can it? : ;

Nothing you experience is your fault but if you don't believe that, you will continue to blame yourself and others unless it's an act of God clause like religious people and insurance companies use.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 6:25:44 PM
At 9/26/2016 3:38:13 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Typical theist mindset, you are either for or against them, there is no such word as "indifference" in their vocabularies.

if you have not chosen to be with God you will not be with God, would you rather he made you...??
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 7:34:43 PM
At 9/26/2016 6:25:44 PM, graceofgod wrote:

if you have not chosen to be with God you will not be with God

God has never asked me to make that choice, so if and when He does, I'll give the consideration its due. If your religion says that God is everywhere, then I am already with God.

would you rather he made you...??

Immortal?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 7:37:35 PM
At 9/26/2016 7:34:43 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 9/26/2016 6:25:44 PM, graceofgod wrote:

if you have not chosen to be with God you will not be with God

God has never asked me to make that choice, so if and when He does, I'll give the consideration its due. If your religion says that God is everywhere, then I am already with God.

would you rather he made you...??

Immortal?

he asks you every day, you just aren't listening, you may not have tomorrow to decide...