Total Posts:135|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why did you give up on religion?

Hiu
Posts: 977
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 9:18:39 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
For those of you who are irreligious or atheist or the like I was wondeering if some of you would share your accounts as to where in life you've lost your faith or chose to not subscribe to religion.
Hiu
Posts: 977
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 9:20:58 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
My account

Although I'm quite fond of Islamic philosophy (Kalam) and some of the works of Thomas Aquinas and Maimonides, since college, I've given up on religion specifically the Abrahamic faiths. This is not to say I disbelieve in a creator of sorts although I'm unsure whether that creator cares or not, I do know that its adherents are not being positive viceroy's to its three faiths.

As one who grew up in the church such as private schools all the way until the 5th grade, I was extremely religious and felt that I was in tune with God himself. Of course that was a lie.I found myself more and more growing a part from religion especially after my mother passed away from cancer and who, was a devout Christian, I felt that God did not hear her plea to live. I've noticed both from my encounters with my family to the encounters of street preachers I've gradually lost my faith more and more.

I think what ultimately drove me away from Christianity is the hypocrisy of people and what I mean by hypocrisy is that often times people like to use their humanity and sin as a crutch to explain why they fail as a human being. When families fail to demonstrate love and compassion towards each other the common phrase I always hear is "well, we are all sinners." There seems to be no accountability for what people do. Nobody wants to accept that their behavior is unacceptable.

On the streets, I"ve been called "son of the devil" simply because I no longer subscribe to Christian tenants of faith. From a metaphysical standpoint from all the sick people I"ve seen to those who have begged God to spare them I"ve come to the conclusion that God either does not care for lower life forms, or doesn"t exist. Although I would like to conceive that my mother and father are in some metaphysical paradise, I cannot. Ultimately I just believe human beings are bad examples of religion. Humans are so flawed and solidified in their own ways that it has made coming to God unattractive. With so many schisms in the Abrahamic faiths how can one come to the truth if so many disagree?
keithprosser
Posts: 1,895
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 10:47:33 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Not everyone consciously gives up on religion. I and most of my peers grew up in a home and school environment that didn't instill any religious ideas, or only with weak and feeble roots.
I was quite surprised when I was 9 or 10 to discover some people took God and praying seriously. It continues to surprise me today. I don't have a very good reason not to believe in God... I just think it's a silly idea like believing in father christmas, as I rember telling a religious friend of mine 50 years ago on primary school. I think they cried.
Willows
Posts: 2,027
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 11:08:47 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 9:18:39 AM, Hiu wrote:
For those of you who are irreligious or atheist or the like I was wondeering if some of you would share your accounts as to where in life you've lost your faith or chose to not subscribe to religion.

I don't think I ever had faith in the first place. I went through all the usual church rituals as a kid but always thought of religion as weird. As an adult, I decided to do some detailed research and was not surprised to find that religion is complete nonsense, in the true sense of the word.

The whole premise of there being a God is completely unfounded and there is no reason for anyone with access to a reasonable education to be religious unless he or she is either gullible, deluded or obliged to follow religious customs.
Hiu
Posts: 977
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 12:34:02 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 11:08:47 AM, Willows wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:18:39 AM, Hiu wrote:
For those of you who are irreligious or atheist or the like I was wondeering if some of you would share your accounts as to where in life you've lost your faith or chose to not subscribe to religion.

I don't think I ever had faith in the first place. I went through all the usual church rituals as a kid but always thought of religion as weird. As an adult, I decided to do some detailed research and was not surprised to find that religion is complete nonsense, in the true sense of the word.

The whole premise of there being a God is completely unfounded and there is no reason for anyone with access to a reasonable education to be religious unless he or she is either gullible, deluded or obliged to follow religious customs.

Interesting. So let me ask you this question, do you think educated people who do believe in religion are delusional?
Willows
Posts: 2,027
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 12:40:28 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 12:34:02 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 9/26/2016 11:08:47 AM, Willows wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:18:39 AM, Hiu wrote:
For those of you who are irreligious or atheist or the like I was wondeering if some of you would share your accounts as to where in life you've lost your faith or chose to not subscribe to religion.

I don't think I ever had faith in the first place. I went through all the usual church rituals as a kid but always thought of religion as weird. As an adult, I decided to do some detailed research and was not surprised to find that religion is complete nonsense, in the true sense of the word.

The whole premise of there being a God is completely unfounded and there is no reason for anyone with access to a reasonable education to be religious unless he or she is either gullible, deluded or obliged to follow religious customs.

Interesting. So let me ask you this question, do you think educated people who do believe in religion are delusional?

Most certainly. You don't have to be uneducated to be deluded.
Hiu
Posts: 977
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 12:45:07 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 12:40:28 PM, Willows wrote:
At 9/26/2016 12:34:02 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 9/26/2016 11:08:47 AM, Willows wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:18:39 AM, Hiu wrote:
For those of you who are irreligious or atheist or the like I was wondeering if some of you would share your accounts as to where in life you've lost your faith or chose to not subscribe to religion.

I don't think I ever had faith in the first place. I went through all the usual church rituals as a kid but always thought of religion as weird. As an adult, I decided to do some detailed research and was not surprised to find that religion is complete nonsense, in the true sense of the word.

The whole premise of there being a God is completely unfounded and there is no reason for anyone with access to a reasonable education to be religious unless he or she is either gullible, deluded or obliged to follow religious customs.

Interesting. So let me ask you this question, do you think educated people who do believe in religion are delusional?

Most certainly. You don't have to be uneducated to be deluded.

But perhaps metaphysical truth is subjective and if such is true, how can one who believes in a metaphysical deity be wrong in their belief? After all, it is true to them. I apologize for the questioning but I'm intrigued.
Willows
Posts: 2,027
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 12:53:55 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 12:45:07 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 9/26/2016 12:40:28 PM, Willows wrote:
At 9/26/2016 12:34:02 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 9/26/2016 11:08:47 AM, Willows wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:18:39 AM, Hiu wrote:
For those of you who are irreligious or atheist or the like I was wondeering if some of you would share your accounts as to where in life you've lost your faith or chose to not subscribe to religion.

I don't think I ever had faith in the first place. I went through all the usual church rituals as a kid but always thought of religion as weird. As an adult, I decided to do some detailed research and was not surprised to find that religion is complete nonsense, in the true sense of the word.

The whole premise of there being a God is completely unfounded and there is no reason for anyone with access to a reasonable education to be religious unless he or she is either gullible, deluded or obliged to follow religious customs.

Interesting. So let me ask you this question, do you think educated people who do believe in religion are delusional?

Most certainly. You don't have to be uneducated to be deluded.

But perhaps metaphysical truth is subjective and if such is true, how can one who believes in a metaphysical deity be wrong in their belief? After all, it is true to them. I apologize for the questioning but I'm intrigued.

There is no such thing as "metaphysical truth", or at best is just delusion given a glorious name.
It not so much a matter of being wrong in one's belief but the belief itself being wrong.
Hiu
Posts: 977
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 12:56:59 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 12:53:55 PM, Willows wrote:
At 9/26/2016 12:45:07 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 9/26/2016 12:40:28 PM, Willows wrote:
At 9/26/2016 12:34:02 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 9/26/2016 11:08:47 AM, Willows wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:18:39 AM, Hiu wrote:
For those of you who are irreligious or atheist or the like I was wondeering if some of you would share your accounts as to where in life you've lost your faith or chose to not subscribe to religion.

I don't think I ever had faith in the first place. I went through all the usual church rituals as a kid but always thought of religion as weird. As an adult, I decided to do some detailed research and was not surprised to find that religion is complete nonsense, in the true sense of the word.

The whole premise of there being a God is completely unfounded and there is no reason for anyone with access to a reasonable education to be religious unless he or she is either gullible, deluded or obliged to follow religious customs.

Interesting. So let me ask you this question, do you think educated people who do believe in religion are delusional?

Most certainly. You don't have to be uneducated to be deluded.

But perhaps metaphysical truth is subjective and if such is true, how can one who believes in a metaphysical deity be wrong in their belief? After all, it is true to them. I apologize for the questioning but I'm intrigued.

There is no such thing as "metaphysical truth", or at best is just delusion given a glorious name.
It not so much a matter of being wrong in one's belief but the belief itself being wrong.

As one who is agnostic, I'm not so sure that there is NO metaphysical truth because I cannot say that there is and isn't something beyond our corporeal bodies.
Skeptical1
Posts: 649
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 12:57:34 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 12:45:07 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 9/26/2016 12:40:28 PM, Willows wrote:
At 9/26/2016 12:34:02 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 9/26/2016 11:08:47 AM, Willows wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:18:39 AM, Hiu wrote:
For those of you who are irreligious or atheist or the like I was wondeering if some of you would share your accounts as to where in life you've lost your faith or chose to not subscribe to religion.

I don't think I ever had faith in the first place. I went through all the usual church rituals as a kid but always thought of religion as weird. As an adult, I decided to do some detailed research and was not surprised to find that religion is complete nonsense, in the true sense of the word.

The whole premise of there being a God is completely unfounded and there is no reason for anyone with access to a reasonable education to be religious unless he or she is either gullible, deluded or obliged to follow religious customs.

Interesting. So let me ask you this question, do you think educated people who do believe in religion are delusional?

Most certainly. You don't have to be uneducated to be deluded.

But perhaps metaphysical truth is subjective and if such is true, how can one who believes in a metaphysical deity be wrong in their belief? After all, it is true to them. I apologize for the questioning but I'm intrigued.

In another thread on here I've been arguing the case against objective morality. But I'll argue the case for objective truth (or fact) just as strenuously. Either the world is flat, or it isn't. Smoking causes cancer or it doesn't. There is a god or there isn't. What is metaphysical truth? Give me an example? If by metaphysical you just mean incorporeal, then that's a different question, but someone's belief or otherwise in a deity doesn't change the fact of its existence (or not).
Hiu
Posts: 977
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 12:57:54 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 10:47:33 AM, keithprosser wrote:
Not everyone consciously gives up on religion. I and most of my peers grew up in a home and school environment that didn't instill any religious ideas, or only with weak and feeble roots.
I was quite surprised when I was 9 or 10 to discover some people took God and praying seriously. It continues to surprise me today. I don't have a very good reason not to believe in God... I just think it's a silly idea like believing in father christmas, as I rember telling a religious friend of mine 50 years ago on primary school. I think they cried.

Interesting viewpoint.
keithprosser
Posts: 1,895
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 1:42:26 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I don't think my experience is at all unusual for someone growing up in the British working class in the early 1960s. While each day at school would begin with 'assembly' involving a hymnand a prayer to two, it was just part of the daily routine, like taking the attendance register and the obligatory half pint of milk.
Apart from that, God didn't get a look in. What mattered was football, what was on TV and, later, girls (or the lack of them).

I sometimes wonder what it's like to have 'proper' faith because I can't relate to it, nor to the apparently sometimes traumatic experience of losing faith. I imagine growing up in a religious family in the Bible belt is a very different experience.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,649
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:25:38 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 9:18:39 AM, Hiu wrote:
For those of you who are irreligious or atheist or the like I was wondeering if some of you would share your accounts as to where in life you've lost your faith or chose to not subscribe to religion.

I've never subscribed to a religion. It wasn't a significant influence when I was younger, but since I was naturally pretty skeptical of things even as a kid, I think I'd being in the same position that I'm in now. I have seen no valid reason to believe that any religious claims should be considered to be true.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:30:05 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 9:20:58 AM, Hiu wrote:
My account

Although I'm quite fond of Islamic philosophy (Kalam) and some of the works of Thomas Aquinas and Maimonides, since college, I've given up on religion specifically the Abrahamic faiths. This is not to say I disbelieve in a creator of sorts although I'm unsure whether that creator cares or not, I do know that its adherents are not being positive viceroy's to its three faiths.

As one who grew up in the church such as private schools all the way until the 5th grade, I was extremely religious and felt that I was in tune with God himself. Of course that was a lie.I found myself more and more growing a part from religion especially after my mother passed away from cancer and who, was a devout Christian, I felt that God did not hear her plea to live. I've noticed both from my encounters with my family to the encounters of street preachers I've gradually lost my faith more and more.

I think what ultimately drove me away from Christianity is the hypocrisy of people and what I mean by hypocrisy is that often times people like to use their humanity and sin as a crutch to explain why they fail as a human being. When families fail to demonstrate love and compassion towards each other the common phrase I always hear is "well, we are all sinners." There seems to be no accountability for what people do. Nobody wants to accept that their behavior is unacceptable.

On the streets, I"ve been called "son of the devil" simply because I no longer subscribe to Christian tenants of faith. From a metaphysical standpoint from all the sick people I"ve seen to those who have begged God to spare them I"ve come to the conclusion that God either does not care for lower life forms, or doesn"t exist. Although I would like to conceive that my mother and father are in some metaphysical paradise, I cannot. Ultimately I just believe human beings are bad examples of religion. Humans are so flawed and solidified in their own ways that it has made coming to God unattractive. With so many schisms in the Abrahamic faiths how can one come to the truth if so many disagree?

oh my a Christian died, how could that possibly have happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
graceofgod
Posts: 5,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:31:10 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 11:08:47 AM, Willows wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:18:39 AM, Hiu wrote:
For those of you who are irreligious or atheist or the like I was wondeering if some of you would share your accounts as to where in life you've lost your faith or chose to not subscribe to religion.

I don't think I ever had faith in the first place. I went through all the usual church rituals as a kid but always thought of religion as weird. As an adult, I decided to do some detailed research and was not surprised to find that religion is complete nonsense, in the true sense of the word.

The whole premise of there being a God is completely unfounded and there is no reason for anyone with access to a reasonable education to be religious unless he or she is either gullible, deluded or obliged to follow religious customs.

detailed research...lol...................
Chaosism
Posts: 2,649
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:36:12 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 2:30:05 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:20:58 AM, Hiu wrote:
My account

Although I'm quite fond of Islamic philosophy (Kalam) and some of the works of Thomas Aquinas and Maimonides, since college, I've given up on religion specifically the Abrahamic faiths. This is not to say I disbelieve in a creator of sorts although I'm unsure whether that creator cares or not, I do know that its adherents are not being positive viceroy's to its three faiths.

As one who grew up in the church such as private schools all the way until the 5th grade, I was extremely religious and felt that I was in tune with God himself. Of course that was a lie.I found myself more and more growing a part from religion especially after my mother passed away from cancer and who, was a devout Christian, I felt that God did not hear her plea to live. I've noticed both from my encounters with my family to the encounters of street preachers I've gradually lost my faith more and more.

I think what ultimately drove me away from Christianity is the hypocrisy of people and what I mean by hypocrisy is that often times people like to use their humanity and sin as a crutch to explain why they fail as a human being. When families fail to demonstrate love and compassion towards each other the common phrase I always hear is "well, we are all sinners." There seems to be no accountability for what people do. Nobody wants to accept that their behavior is unacceptable.

On the streets, I"ve been called "son of the devil" simply because I no longer subscribe to Christian tenants of faith. From a metaphysical standpoint from all the sick people I"ve seen to those who have begged God to spare them I"ve come to the conclusion that God either does not care for lower life forms, or doesn"t exist. Although I would like to conceive that my mother and father are in some metaphysical paradise, I cannot. Ultimately I just believe human beings are bad examples of religion. Humans are so flawed and solidified in their own ways that it has made coming to God unattractive. With so many schisms in the Abrahamic faiths how can one come to the truth if so many disagree?

oh my a Christian died, how could that possibly have happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry. Cleary, he wasn't a True Christian(tm), right? ;)
graceofgod
Posts: 5,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:38:20 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 2:36:12 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:30:05 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:20:58 AM, Hiu wrote:
My account

Although I'm quite fond of Islamic philosophy (Kalam) and some of the works of Thomas Aquinas and Maimonides, since college, I've given up on religion specifically the Abrahamic faiths. This is not to say I disbelieve in a creator of sorts although I'm unsure whether that creator cares or not, I do know that its adherents are not being positive viceroy's to its three faiths.

As one who grew up in the church such as private schools all the way until the 5th grade, I was extremely religious and felt that I was in tune with God himself. Of course that was a lie.I found myself more and more growing a part from religion especially after my mother passed away from cancer and who, was a devout Christian, I felt that God did not hear her plea to live. I've noticed both from my encounters with my family to the encounters of street preachers I've gradually lost my faith more and more.

I think what ultimately drove me away from Christianity is the hypocrisy of people and what I mean by hypocrisy is that often times people like to use their humanity and sin as a crutch to explain why they fail as a human being. When families fail to demonstrate love and compassion towards each other the common phrase I always hear is "well, we are all sinners." There seems to be no accountability for what people do. Nobody wants to accept that their behavior is unacceptable.

On the streets, I"ve been called "son of the devil" simply because I no longer subscribe to Christian tenants of faith. From a metaphysical standpoint from all the sick people I"ve seen to those who have begged God to spare them I"ve come to the conclusion that God either does not care for lower life forms, or doesn"t exist. Although I would like to conceive that my mother and father are in some metaphysical paradise, I cannot. Ultimately I just believe human beings are bad examples of religion. Humans are so flawed and solidified in their own ways that it has made coming to God unattractive. With so many schisms in the Abrahamic faiths how can one come to the truth if so many disagree?

oh my a Christian died, how could that possibly have happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry. Cleary, he wasn't a True Christian(tm), right? ;)

lol you missed my point, as usual, Christians die, we all die sooner or later, anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly and idiot....

the exception is if we are raptured before we die of course...
Chaosism
Posts: 2,649
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 2:50:12 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 2:38:20 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:36:12 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:30:05 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:20:58 AM, Hiu wrote:
My account

Although I'm quite fond of Islamic philosophy (Kalam) and some of the works of Thomas Aquinas and Maimonides, since college, I've given up on religion specifically the Abrahamic faiths. This is not to say I disbelieve in a creator of sorts although I'm unsure whether that creator cares or not, I do know that its adherents are not being positive viceroy's to its three faiths.

As one who grew up in the church such as private schools all the way until the 5th grade, I was extremely religious and felt that I was in tune with God himself. Of course that was a lie.I found myself more and more growing a part from religion especially after my mother passed away from cancer and who, was a devout Christian, I felt that God did not hear her plea to live. I've noticed both from my encounters with my family to the encounters of street preachers I've gradually lost my faith more and more.

I think what ultimately drove me away from Christianity is the hypocrisy of people and what I mean by hypocrisy is that often times people like to use their humanity and sin as a crutch to explain why they fail as a human being. When families fail to demonstrate love and compassion towards each other the common phrase I always hear is "well, we are all sinners." There seems to be no accountability for what people do. Nobody wants to accept that their behavior is unacceptable.

On the streets, I"ve been called "son of the devil" simply because I no longer subscribe to Christian tenants of faith. From a metaphysical standpoint from all the sick people I"ve seen to those who have begged God to spare them I"ve come to the conclusion that God either does not care for lower life forms, or doesn"t exist. Although I would like to conceive that my mother and father are in some metaphysical paradise, I cannot. Ultimately I just believe human beings are bad examples of religion. Humans are so flawed and solidified in their own ways that it has made coming to God unattractive. With so many schisms in the Abrahamic faiths how can one come to the truth if so many disagree?

oh my a Christian died, how could that possibly have happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry. Cleary, he wasn't a True Christian(tm), right? ;)

lol you missed my point, as usual, Christians die, we all die sooner or later, anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly and idiot....

Wait, did you mean that literally rather than metaphorically (i.e. a "Christian died" refers to one who lost faith")? I was making a snarky remark assuming the later, but if you meant the former, then that's worse. It's a total strawman. People who are atheist didn't become so because Christians die.

the exception is if we are raptured before we die of course...

Well, Since one would cease to be a living being in this case, it still qualifies as dying:

Die : (of a person, animal, or plant) Stop living. [Oxford]
graceofgod
Posts: 5,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 3:00:12 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 2:50:12 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:38:20 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:36:12 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:30:05 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:20:58 AM, Hiu wrote:
My account

Although I'm quite fond of Islamic philosophy (Kalam) and some of the works of Thomas Aquinas and Maimonides, since college, I've given up on religion specifically the Abrahamic faiths. This is not to say I disbelieve in a creator of sorts although I'm unsure whether that creator cares or not, I do know that its adherents are not being positive viceroy's to its three faiths.

As one who grew up in the church such as private schools all the way until the 5th grade, I was extremely religious and felt that I was in tune with God himself. Of course that was a lie.I found myself more and more growing a part from religion especially after my mother passed away from cancer and who, was a devout Christian, I felt that God did not hear her plea to live. I've noticed both from my encounters with my family to the encounters of street preachers I've gradually lost my faith more and more.

I think what ultimately drove me away from Christianity is the hypocrisy of people and what I mean by hypocrisy is that often times people like to use their humanity and sin as a crutch to explain why they fail as a human being. When families fail to demonstrate love and compassion towards each other the common phrase I always hear is "well, we are all sinners." There seems to be no accountability for what people do. Nobody wants to accept that their behavior is unacceptable.

On the streets, I"ve been called "son of the devil" simply because I no longer subscribe to Christian tenants of faith. From a metaphysical standpoint from all the sick people I"ve seen to those who have begged God to spare them I"ve come to the conclusion that God either does not care for lower life forms, or doesn"t exist. Although I would like to conceive that my mother and father are in some metaphysical paradise, I cannot. Ultimately I just believe human beings are bad examples of religion. Humans are so flawed and solidified in their own ways that it has made coming to God unattractive. With so many schisms in the Abrahamic faiths how can one come to the truth if so many disagree?

oh my a Christian died, how could that possibly have happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry. Cleary, he wasn't a True Christian(tm), right? ;)

lol you missed my point, as usual, Christians die, we all die sooner or later, anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly and idiot....

Wait, did you mean that literally rather than metaphorically (i.e. a "Christian died" refers to one who lost faith")? I was making a snarky remark assuming the later, but if you meant the former, then that's worse. It's a total strawman. People who are atheist didn't become so because Christians die.

the exception is if we are raptured before we die of course...

Well, Since one would cease to be a living being in this case, it still qualifies as dying:

Die : (of a person, animal, or plant) Stop living. [Oxford]

you are taken up to be in heaven for all eternity..
Chaosism
Posts: 2,649
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 3:06:13 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 3:00:12 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:50:12 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:38:20 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:36:12 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:30:05 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:20:58 AM, Hiu wrote:
My account

Although I'm quite fond of Islamic philosophy (Kalam) and some of the works of Thomas Aquinas and Maimonides, since college, I've given up on religion specifically the Abrahamic faiths. This is not to say I disbelieve in a creator of sorts although I'm unsure whether that creator cares or not, I do know that its adherents are not being positive viceroy's to its three faiths.

As one who grew up in the church such as private schools all the way until the 5th grade, I was extremely religious and felt that I was in tune with God himself. Of course that was a lie.I found myself more and more growing a part from religion especially after my mother passed away from cancer and who, was a devout Christian, I felt that God did not hear her plea to live. I've noticed both from my encounters with my family to the encounters of street preachers I've gradually lost my faith more and more.

I think what ultimately drove me away from Christianity is the hypocrisy of people and what I mean by hypocrisy is that often times people like to use their humanity and sin as a crutch to explain why they fail as a human being. When families fail to demonstrate love and compassion towards each other the common phrase I always hear is "well, we are all sinners." There seems to be no accountability for what people do. Nobody wants to accept that their behavior is unacceptable.

On the streets, I"ve been called "son of the devil" simply because I no longer subscribe to Christian tenants of faith. From a metaphysical standpoint from all the sick people I"ve seen to those who have begged God to spare them I"ve come to the conclusion that God either does not care for lower life forms, or doesn"t exist. Although I would like to conceive that my mother and father are in some metaphysical paradise, I cannot. Ultimately I just believe human beings are bad examples of religion. Humans are so flawed and solidified in their own ways that it has made coming to God unattractive. With so many schisms in the Abrahamic faiths how can one come to the truth if so many disagree?

oh my a Christian died, how could that possibly have happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry. Cleary, he wasn't a True Christian(tm), right? ;)

lol you missed my point, as usual, Christians die, we all die sooner or later, anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly and idiot....

Wait, did you mean that literally rather than metaphorically (i.e. a "Christian died" refers to one who lost faith")? I was making a snarky remark assuming the later, but if you meant the former, then that's worse. It's a total strawman. People who are atheist didn't become so because Christians die.

the exception is if we are raptured before we die of course...

Well, Since one would cease to be a living being in this case, it still qualifies as dying:

Die : (of a person, animal, or plant) Stop living. [Oxford]

you are taken up to be in heaven for all eternity..

How is that any different from a Christian that isn't raptured, then? If you aren't referring to biological death any more, then your point is nullified.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,032
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 3:08:06 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 3:06:13 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/26/2016 3:00:12 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:50:12 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:38:20 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:36:12 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:30:05 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:20:58 AM, Hiu wrote:
My account

Although I'm quite fond of Islamic philosophy (Kalam) and some of the works of Thomas Aquinas and Maimonides, since college, I've given up on religion specifically the Abrahamic faiths. This is not to say I disbelieve in a creator of sorts although I'm unsure whether that creator cares or not, I do know that its adherents are not being positive viceroy's to its three faiths.

As one who grew up in the church such as private schools all the way until the 5th grade, I was extremely religious and felt that I was in tune with God himself. Of course that was a lie.I found myself more and more growing a part from religion especially after my mother passed away from cancer and who, was a devout Christian, I felt that God did not hear her plea to live. I've noticed both from my encounters with my family to the encounters of street preachers I've gradually lost my faith more and more.

I think what ultimately drove me away from Christianity is the hypocrisy of people and what I mean by hypocrisy is that often times people like to use their humanity and sin as a crutch to explain why they fail as a human being. When families fail to demonstrate love and compassion towards each other the common phrase I always hear is "well, we are all sinners." There seems to be no accountability for what people do. Nobody wants to accept that their behavior is unacceptable.

On the streets, I"ve been called "son of the devil" simply because I no longer subscribe to Christian tenants of faith. From a metaphysical standpoint from all the sick people I"ve seen to those who have begged God to spare them I"ve come to the conclusion that God either does not care for lower life forms, or doesn"t exist. Although I would like to conceive that my mother and father are in some metaphysical paradise, I cannot. Ultimately I just believe human beings are bad examples of religion. Humans are so flawed and solidified in their own ways that it has made coming to God unattractive. With so many schisms in the Abrahamic faiths how can one come to the truth if so many disagree?

oh my a Christian died, how could that possibly have happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry. Cleary, he wasn't a True Christian(tm), right? ;)

lol you missed my point, as usual, Christians die, we all die sooner or later, anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly and idiot....

Wait, did you mean that literally rather than metaphorically (i.e. a "Christian died" refers to one who lost faith")? I was making a snarky remark assuming the later, but if you meant the former, then that's worse. It's a total strawman. People who are atheist didn't become so because Christians die.

the exception is if we are raptured before we die of course...

Well, Since one would cease to be a living being in this case, it still qualifies as dying:

Die : (of a person, animal, or plant) Stop living. [Oxford]

you are taken up to be in heaven for all eternity..

How is that any different from a Christian that isn't raptured, then? If you aren't referring to biological death any more, then your point is nullified.

as you do not suffer the bodily death, that is the difference...
Perussi
Posts: 735
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 3:10:37 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 9:20:58 AM, Hiu wrote:
My account

Although I'm quite fond of Islamic philosophy (Kalam) and some of the works of Thomas Aquinas and Maimonides, since college, I've given up on religion specifically the Abrahamic faiths. This is not to say I disbelieve in a creator of sorts although I'm unsure whether that creator cares or not, I do know that its adherents are not being positive viceroy's to its three faiths.

As one who grew up in the church such as private schools all the way until the 5th grade, I was extremely religious and felt that I was in tune with God himself. Of course that was a lie.I found myself more and more growing a part from religion especially after my mother passed away from cancer and who, was a devout Christian, I felt that God did not hear her plea to live. I've noticed both from my encounters with my family to the encounters of street preachers I've gradually lost my faith more and more.

I think what ultimately drove me away from Christianity is the hypocrisy of people and what I mean by hypocrisy is that often times people like to use their humanity and sin as a crutch to explain why they fail as a human being. When families fail to demonstrate love and compassion towards each other the common phrase I always hear is "well, we are all sinners." There seems to be no accountability for what people do. Nobody wants to accept that their behavior is unacceptable.

On the streets, I"ve been called "son of the devil" simply because I no longer subscribe to Christian tenants of faith. From a metaphysical standpoint from all the sick people I"ve seen to those who have begged God to spare them I"ve come to the conclusion that God either does not care for lower life forms, or doesn"t exist. Although I would like to conceive that my mother and father are in some metaphysical paradise, I cannot. Ultimately I just believe human beings are bad examples of religion. Humans are so flawed and solidified in their own ways that it has made coming to God unattractive. With so many schisms in the Abrahamic faiths how can one come to the truth if so many disagree?

These aren't real-deal christians. Check out the site for RealLife. They did it right. And don't mistake human error and stupidity for god being imperfet. And it is their sin and humanity that allows them to have error. ALLOWS. Use that bullet.
Forum Record: 6/0

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."
-I'll keep this anonymous...-

"fuk off bog, no one even reads your crap, what price is you hooker now?"
-same dude as above....-
Chaosism
Posts: 2,649
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 3:12:28 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 3:08:06 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2016 3:06:13 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/26/2016 3:00:12 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:50:12 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:38:20 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:36:12 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 9/26/2016 2:30:05 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:20:58 AM, Hiu wrote:
My account

Although I'm quite fond of Islamic philosophy (Kalam) and some of the works of Thomas Aquinas and Maimonides, since college, I've given up on religion specifically the Abrahamic faiths. This is not to say I disbelieve in a creator of sorts although I'm unsure whether that creator cares or not, I do know that its adherents are not being positive viceroy's to its three faiths.

As one who grew up in the church such as private schools all the way until the 5th grade, I was extremely religious and felt that I was in tune with God himself. Of course that was a lie.I found myself more and more growing a part from religion especially after my mother passed away from cancer and who, was a devout Christian, I felt that God did not hear her plea to live. I've noticed both from my encounters with my family to the encounters of street preachers I've gradually lost my faith more and more.

I think what ultimately drove me away from Christianity is the hypocrisy of people and what I mean by hypocrisy is that often times people like to use their humanity and sin as a crutch to explain why they fail as a human being. When families fail to demonstrate love and compassion towards each other the common phrase I always hear is "well, we are all sinners." There seems to be no accountability for what people do. Nobody wants to accept that their behavior is unacceptable.

On the streets, I"ve been called "son of the devil" simply because I no longer subscribe to Christian tenants of faith. From a metaphysical standpoint from all the sick people I"ve seen to those who have begged God to spare them I"ve come to the conclusion that God either does not care for lower life forms, or doesn"t exist. Although I would like to conceive that my mother and father are in some metaphysical paradise, I cannot. Ultimately I just believe human beings are bad examples of religion. Humans are so flawed and solidified in their own ways that it has made coming to God unattractive. With so many schisms in the Abrahamic faiths how can one come to the truth if so many disagree?

oh my a Christian died, how could that possibly have happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry. Cleary, he wasn't a True Christian(tm), right? ;)

lol you missed my point, as usual, Christians die, we all die sooner or later, anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly and idiot....

Wait, did you mean that literally rather than metaphorically (i.e. a "Christian died" refers to one who lost faith")? I was making a snarky remark assuming the later, but if you meant the former, then that's worse. It's a total strawman. People who are atheist didn't become so because Christians die.

the exception is if we are raptured before we die of course...

Well, Since one would cease to be a living being in this case, it still qualifies as dying:

Die : (of a person, animal, or plant) Stop living. [Oxford]

you are taken up to be in heaven for all eternity..

How is that any different from a Christian that isn't raptured, then? If you aren't referring to biological death any more, then your point is nullified.

as you do not suffer the bodily death, that is the difference...

~facepalm~

Apologies to the OP for the distraction...
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,083
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 3:20:48 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 9:18:39 AM, Hiu wrote:
For those of you who are irreligious or atheist or the like I was wondeering if some of you would share your accounts as to where in life you've lost your faith or chose to not subscribe to religion.

Cognitive dissonance. I couldn't embrace the dogma/beliefs of my religion and felt I was a "bad Christian" because of it. Finally, something clicked and I realized this was because my religious beliefs had no basis in reality. Since then, I've come to consider the gods of monotheistic religions logically impossible (infinite characteristics are incoherent) and wonder (of deistic gods) what "god" is supposed to mean (it's an arbitrarily defined word) and how would we know one if we stumbled across it. If it can't be defined, how can it be accepted as existing?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
POPOO5560
Posts: 2,481
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 5:32:03 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 9:20:58 AM, Hiu wrote:
My account

Although I'm quite fond of Islamic philosophy (Kalam) and some of the works of Thomas Aquinas and Maimonides, since college, I've given up on religion specifically the Abrahamic faiths. This is not to say I disbelieve in a creator of sorts although I'm unsure whether that creator cares or not, I do know that its adherents are not being positive viceroy's to its three faiths.

As one who grew up in the church such as private schools all the way until the 5th grade, I was extremely religious and felt that I was in tune with God himself. Of course that was a lie.I found myself more and more growing a part from religion especially after my mother passed away from cancer and who, was a devout Christian, I felt that God did not hear her plea to live. I've noticed both from my encounters with my family to the encounters of street preachers I've gradually lost my faith more and more.

I think what ultimately drove me away from Christianity is the hypocrisy of people and what I mean by hypocrisy is that often times people like to use their humanity and sin as a crutch to explain why they fail as a human being. When families fail to demonstrate love and compassion towards each other the common phrase I always hear is "well, we are all sinners." There seems to be no accountability for what people do. Nobody wants to accept that their behavior is unacceptable.

On the streets, I"ve been called "son of the devil" simply because I no longer subscribe to Christian tenants of faith. From a metaphysical standpoint from all the sick people I"ve seen to those who have begged God to spare them I"ve come to the conclusion that God either does not care for lower life forms, or doesn"t exist. Although I would like to conceive that my mother and father are in some metaphysical paradise, I cannot. Ultimately I just believe human beings are bad examples of religion. Humans are so flawed and solidified in their own ways that it has made coming to God unattractive. With so many schisms in the Abrahamic faiths how can one come to the truth if so many disagree?

as u probably know some islamic philosophy u aware about how Islam adress "problem of evil"? or for hypocrisy of ppl and stuff.. i too experienced some real sh1t which i got to the point i couldnt do nothing.. all my close ppl and even the guys in the mosque who r praying like a sheep all day and night preaching u need to help ppl and stuff discarded me like a piece of sh1t when i was weak lol :D but the funny thing is i made my self from zero to hero now they want to lick my a$$... u just learn to deal with sh1t and make new ways to find importent things in life... but to admit the hypocrisy of ppl really disgusted me but never took it to the level to become agnostic... yeah i had some doubts but life sometimes hard and sometimes its easy... feel sorry for what u got through but everyone will experience some lost of family members in the end be at ease...
Never fart near dog
janesix
Posts: 3,437
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 5:57:39 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 9:18:39 AM, Hiu wrote:
For those of you who are irreligious or atheist or the like I was wondeering if some of you would share your accounts as to where in life you've lost your faith or chose to not subscribe to religion.

Im not sure if ive given up on religion yet. Maybe if i had created this horrible world id be hiding too.
PureX
Posts: 1,515
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 7:01:54 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 9:18:39 AM, Hiu wrote:
For those of you who are irreligious or atheist or the like I was wondeering if some of you would share your accounts as to where in life you've lost your faith or chose to not subscribe to religion.

It has never been within my nature to bow to authoritarianism. Yet it seems that every time I come into contact with the manifestations of organized religion, I find myself being harassed and condemned by religious authoritarians and their phony self-serving presumptions of divine righteousness.

Which I find intensely offensive.

I have no problem with "God" as I choose to understand that concept. But I simply cannot abide religious authoritarianism. And I will not put up with it. And since, so far, I have not encountered any manifestation of religion that is not infected by this toxic presumption of divine righteousness, I reject and avoid all of it, by default.
Hiu
Posts: 977
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 11:53:55 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 12:57:34 PM, Skeptical1 wrote:
At 9/26/2016 12:45:07 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 9/26/2016 12:40:28 PM, Willows wrote:
At 9/26/2016 12:34:02 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 9/26/2016 11:08:47 AM, Willows wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:18:39 AM, Hiu wrote:
For those of you who are irreligious or atheist or the like I was wondeering if some of you would share your accounts as to where in life you've lost your faith or chose to not subscribe to religion.

I don't think I ever had faith in the first place. I went through all the usual church rituals as a kid but always thought of religion as weird. As an adult, I decided to do some detailed research and was not surprised to find that religion is complete nonsense, in the true sense of the word.

The whole premise of there being a God is completely unfounded and there is no reason for anyone with access to a reasonable education to be religious unless he or she is either gullible, deluded or obliged to follow religious customs.

Interesting. So let me ask you this question, do you think educated people who do believe in religion are delusional?

Most certainly. You don't have to be uneducated to be deluded.

But perhaps metaphysical truth is subjective and if such is true, how can one who believes in a metaphysical deity be wrong in their belief? After all, it is true to them. I apologize for the questioning but I'm intrigued.

In another thread on here I've been arguing the case against objective morality. But I'll argue the case for objective truth (or fact) just as strenuously. Either the world is flat, or it isn't. Smoking causes cancer or it doesn't. There is a god or there isn't. What is metaphysical truth? Give me an example? If by metaphysical you just mean incorporeal, then that's a different question, but someone's belief or otherwise in a deity doesn't change the fact of its existence (or not).

Well when I'm referring to "metaphysical truth" I'm mostly referring to an ultimate reality that transcends beyond our perceptions and experiences. A reality beyond this one, I suppose an afterlife of some sort to which the One (God, Allah, YHVH, Ahzura Mazda) exists. I firmly believe there are some who believe in religion that may experience the "essence" of this via religious/spiritual experience. Now what that entails depends on the individual.
Hiu
Posts: 977
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 11:58:09 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 3:10:37 PM, Perussi wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:20:58 AM, Hiu wrote:
My account

Although I'm quite fond of Islamic philosophy (Kalam) and some of the works of Thomas Aquinas and Maimonides, since college, I've given up on religion specifically the Abrahamic faiths. This is not to say I disbelieve in a creator of sorts although I'm unsure whether that creator cares or not, I do know that its adherents are not being positive viceroy's to its three faiths.

As one who grew up in the church such as private schools all the way until the 5th grade, I was extremely religious and felt that I was in tune with God himself. Of course that was a lie.I found myself more and more growing a part from religion especially after my mother passed away from cancer and who, was a devout Christian, I felt that God did not hear her plea to live. I've noticed both from my encounters with my family to the encounters of street preachers I've gradually lost my faith more and more.

I think what ultimately drove me away from Christianity is the hypocrisy of people and what I mean by hypocrisy is that often times people like to use their humanity and sin as a crutch to explain why they fail as a human being. When families fail to demonstrate love and compassion towards each other the common phrase I always hear is "well, we are all sinners." There seems to be no accountability for what people do. Nobody wants to accept that their behavior is unacceptable.

On the streets, I"ve been called "son of the devil" simply because I no longer subscribe to Christian tenants of faith. From a metaphysical standpoint from all the sick people I"ve seen to those who have begged God to spare them I"ve come to the conclusion that God either does not care for lower life forms, or doesn"t exist. Although I would like to conceive that my mother and father are in some metaphysical paradise, I cannot. Ultimately I just believe human beings are bad examples of religion. Humans are so flawed and solidified in their own ways that it has made coming to God unattractive. With so many schisms in the Abrahamic faiths how can one come to the truth if so many disagree?

These aren't real-deal christians. Check out the site for RealLife. They did it right. And don't mistake human error and stupidity for god being imperfet. And it is their sin and humanity that allows them to have error. ALLOWS. Use that bullet.

That is the problem that I have as an agnostic....The No True Scotsman fallacy.

What is a real Christian?

I've experienced family members who go to church faithfully and read from the Bible faithfully and yet will leave church and it would see that holiness shroud is lifted and they're back to their old ways. The irony that many people have talked bad about Muslims yet no Muslim has never backstabbed me like my so-called family who consider themselves Christian, yet, use the "sin" to validate their inability of to be trustworthy. There is no accountability it seems within Christianity since it seems that original sin seems to be used as a crutch.
Hiu
Posts: 977
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2016 11:59:16 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/26/2016 3:20:48 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 9/26/2016 9:18:39 AM, Hiu wrote:
For those of you who are irreligious or atheist or the like I was wondeering if some of you would share your accounts as to where in life you've lost your faith or chose to not subscribe to religion.

Cognitive dissonance. I couldn't embrace the dogma/beliefs of my religion and felt I was a "bad Christian" because of it. Finally, something clicked and I realized this was because my religious beliefs had no basis in reality. Since then, I've come to consider the gods of monotheistic religions logically impossible (infinite characteristics are incoherent) and wonder (of deistic gods) what "god" is supposed to mean (it's an arbitrarily defined word) and how would we know one if we stumbled across it. If it can't be defined, how can it be accepted as existing?

Interesting...Can you expand on your notion of infinite characteristics being incoherent?