Do you tithe?

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 4:29:32 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Does anyone tithe?

If so what form does it take- gift to charities, portions to different organizations or what?

What percent of pre-tax income do you tithe?

What impact do you think tithing has on your life?
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 4:58:42 PM
At 10/3/2016 4:29:32 PM, Raisor wrote:
Does anyone tithe?

If so what form does it take- gift to charities, portions to different organizations or what?

We don't tithe but my husband and I give quite generously to charity.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 5:09:41 PM
Does anyone tithe?

Well the meaning of tithe is one tenth. It was an idea that this was a good percentage for people to donate in general.

For myself my charitable donations are split between a variety of organizations both local and international.

TMI

It keeps one humble. You forgo things that you would like in order to provide for the needs of others.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 5:42:29 PM
At 10/3/2016 5:09:41 PM, Geogeer wrote:
Does anyone tithe?

Well the meaning of tithe is one tenth. It was an idea that this was a good percentage for people to donate in general.

For myself my charitable donations are split between a variety of organizations both local and international.

TMI

It keeps one humble. You forgo things that you would like in order to provide for the needs of others.

Do you think the 10% number is a good metric to use for what is appropriate to give?
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 5:43:38 PM
At 10/3/2016 4:58:42 PM, tarantula wrote:
Does anyone tithe?

We don't tithe but my husband and I give quite generously to charity.

What is the difference/how do you make the distinction between tithing and just giving to charity?

Do you have a set percentage you give?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2016 5:59:47 PM
At 10/3/2016 5:42:29 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 10/3/2016 5:09:41 PM, Geogeer wrote:
Does anyone tithe?

TMI

Do you think the 10% number is a good metric to use for what is appropriate to give?

It is tough to say because when these rules were written taxation, etc. was significantly different. Stuff like welfare never existed.

I would say it would depend on your financial situation... If you are in the lower class, such donations of cash are probably not possible. You may however have more time to donate.

For the middle class I think it may be an appropriate range depending on your circumstances... A single person living alone making the same amount as a family of 5 living off one income are distinctly different.

For the wealthy it probably isn't enough. If you look back in ancient Israel, the land owners were not permitted to completely clean the land during the harvest. I'm going from memory here, but I believe they had to leave approximately 20% for the poor/destitute to harvest for themselves.

Whichever class of life you live in, it should hurt a little when you make a donation. This gets back to the story of the widow's mite. The wealthy man gave bags of gold and the poor woman gave two copper coins. One was completely unaffected the other had nothing left.