Jump to topic:

Peace Brothers

Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 4:07:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why do you think it is that religions and just some people in general cannot or will not get along?
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 4:29:43 PM
At 1/14/2011 4:07:53 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Why do you think it is that religions and just some people in general cannot or will not get along?

Desire... which equals different mind sets. Look at this beautiful field and decide what you would do with it. Jim wants to dig for gold in it. Bill wants to plant trees in it. Mary wants a children's play area on it. Sarah wants to shoot rabbits on it. Michael wants to build a church on it. Nut-case wants to murder on it. etc, etc.,
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 4:33:07 PM

To me it seems that every religion just wants to convert everybody else so that could have alot to do with the fact they can't get along. Obviously some religions are more aggressive than others when it comes to converting people, notably Christianity and Islam. People get upset over this and oppose those religions for ideological reasons. I'm fine with religion, just don't go trying to shove it down everybody's throat. Let them come to you first.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 4:37:04 PM
Why do you think it is that religions and just some people in general cannot or will not get along?:

There are lots of reasons why people don't get along; personal insecurities, prejudicial biases, contradicting loyalties, personality conflicts etc..

In the case of religions, though, it often comes down to one or both religions asserting that theirs' is the only TRUE religion and the other is either evil, immoral or, otherwise, inferior.

Good relationships are a two way street and both parties have to be willing to compromise. And compromising is something that religions don't tend to do.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 4:39:34 PM
At 1/14/2011 4:33:07 PM, HatedeatH wrote:

To me it seems that every religion just wants to convert everybody else so that could have alot to do with the fact they can't get along. Obviously some religions are more aggressive than others when it comes to converting people, notably Christianity and Islam. People get upset over this and oppose those religions for ideological reasons. I'm fine with religion, just don't go trying to shove it down everybody's throat. Let them come to you first.

Jews don't try to convert anyone, and generally don't want anyone to convert. The funny thing is, some would call them bigots for this. Aw, the double edged sword.
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 4:42:50 PM
At 1/14/2011 4:39:34 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

Jews don't try to convert anyone, and generally don't want anyone to convert. The funny thing is, some would call them bigots for this. Aw, the double edged sword.

I'm pretty sure some sects of Judaism are open to conversion. they just don't openly go around preaching, which is a point I'm trying to get at; if other religions didn't go openly preaching then there would be less conflict.
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 4:51:03 PM
When a lifestyle, perspective, belief, opinion, ideal or action infringes on another in a way they perceive as oppressive or "wrong", then they'll be less apt to "getting along". Since religion is so important to those with faith and extremely personal as well, anything that could potentially hurt their religion, their religious practices/traditions or religious beliefs is treated with enormous hostility and less willingness to compromise or forgive.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 5:21:38 PM
Because they all take themselves too seriously.

That and the inner desire to subjugate others.

I don't think this is a problem with religion, I think this is a problem of human nature. Religion is just a byproduct.

Until people can learn to live and let die, we are always going to have these problems. People will NEVER learn to live and let die.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Jarjar3000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 7:20:57 PM
Okay so next question. Will everyone ever get along?
Is it even possible?
Ohh Lord How you love me, you change my heart and soul, renewing my mind into something I could never imagine, You make me strong when I am weak, you encourage me when I'm despaired, You stick by me when everyone deserts me, You are my Lord You are my God.

Charles: I'm not a Christian because I'm afraid of hell, I'm a Christian because I love Jesus.

Geolaureate: The Pope
He looks like a Sith lord, I don't trust him.

Charles0103: Just like my God, my faith won't change.
Ogan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2011 7:31:05 PM
At 1/14/2011 7:20:57 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Is it even possible?

No. Not in this world of ours. Its what we ourselves think and do that's important.
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 1:02:49 AM
At 1/14/2011 7:20:57 PM, Jarjar3000 wrote:
Is it even possible?

I think it's possible for humanity to reach a state of civility towards one another but not likely. There will probably always be a certain element within society that is inherently belligerent, malicious, selfish and/or ignorant who will find it necessary to use fear and intimidation to achieve their goals.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 3:23:54 PM
Until man can find peace within himself; be at peace with his own imperfections, those of his neighbor, and tolerant of those who are different than he, there will be no peace.

Those who blame 'religion' as the reason for violence or lack of peace are kidding themselves. It's merely a pretext for many to indulge those defects of character that would find some other way of being indulged.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 3:48:34 PM
At 1/14/2011 4:39:34 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
At 1/14/2011 4:33:07 PM, HatedeatH wrote:

Dude, gavin, what is with all the Jehovah's Witnesses. I swear, they can smell Jews and they come to our houses like 5 times a year, trying to convert us.

*knock, knock* "Have you heard about Jesus, our One True Lord and Savior?"

"yes, wtf, I don't live in a hole."
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 3:50:15 PM
Religion is a bunch of people who can't release their tension through sex, so they release it through violence.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 3:54:05 PM
At 1/15/2011 3:50:15 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Religion is a bunch of people who can't release their tension through sex, so they release it through violence.
Elaborate, please.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 3:55:56 PM

Everyone knows that there is only one way to have sex... violently.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:53:47 PM
At 1/15/2011 3:54:05 PM, Mirza wrote:
Elaborate, please.

Jerking off saves lives.
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 5:01:11 PM
Because everyone has their own opinions. Opinions clash, and therefore the people do.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10