Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Churches and their equivalents should pay tax

Stupidape
Posts: 171
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 5:16:00 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Churches and their equivalents should pay taxes just like any other business. Non-Christian religious structures should have to pay taxes too. I view them as a business and not a non-profit organization.
Willows
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 12:26:58 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/4/2016 5:16:00 AM, Stupidape wrote:
Churches and their equivalents should pay taxes just like any other business. Non-Christian religious structures should have to pay taxes too. I view them as a business and not a non-profit organization.

Quite right. This anomaly has been around for too long. Churches most definitely run at a profit and being listed as charity organisations is an absolute farce.

The government should legislate that, not only should churches pay taxes but also be back-dated for the past two thousand years.

Every church would be bankrupt and out of business overnight....oh glory hallelujah!
Artaxerxes
Posts: 181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 1:57:24 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/4/2016 5:16:00 AM, Stupidape wrote:
Churches and their equivalents should pay taxes just like any other business. Non-Christian religious structures should have to pay taxes too. I view them as a business and not a non-profit organization.
I remember looking into this awhile back and I found that this article really summed it up nicely:
http://www.focusonthefamily.com...

I do not particularly see the tax exempt status going away. This is particularly the case if Trump becomes president, as he appears to be very pro-religion, whatever the motives.
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 2:20:25 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/4/2016 5:16:00 AM, Stupidape wrote:
Churches and their equivalents should pay taxes just like any other business.

If they did, they would just be giving money to ... the government (the absolute worst place to invest it).
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Stupidape
Posts: 171
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 12:57:18 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
With the Internet and libraries we already have free access to the Bible. The problem is that some so called "religions" charge money just to read their religious texts. At that point they have crossed the line from religion to cult and should be taxed.

Summary

Religion = Free information, no taxes.
Cult = Pay for information, should be taxed.
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,866
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 1:05:08 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/4/2016 5:16:00 AM, Stupidape wrote:
Churches and their equivalents should pay taxes just like any other business. Non-Christian religious structures should have to pay taxes too. I view them as a business and not a non-profit organization.
Whether you like it or not churches are charities. Their employees pay taxes if they have income. The red cross doesn't pay taxes but their employees do. Get a grip on reality.
Looncall
Posts: 454
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 1:32:27 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/5/2016 1:05:08 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 10/4/2016 5:16:00 AM, Stupidape wrote:
Churches and their equivalents should pay taxes just like any other business. Non-Christian religious structures should have to pay taxes too. I view them as a business and not a non-profit organization.
Whether you like it or not churches are charities. Their employees pay taxes if they have income. The red cross doesn't pay taxes but their employees do. Get a grip on reality.

Running a religion is not a charitable activity. Churches should have no more privilidge than, say, a chess club.
The metaphysicist has no laboratory.
Stupidape
Posts: 171
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 2:10:57 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/5/2016 1:32:27 AM, Looncall wrote:
At 10/5/2016 1:05:08 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 10/4/2016 5:16:00 AM, Stupidape wrote:
Churches and their equivalents should pay taxes just like any other business. Non-Christian religious structures should have to pay taxes too. I view them as a business and not a non-profit organization.
Whether you like it or not churches are charities. Their employees pay taxes if they have income. The red cross doesn't pay taxes but their employees do. Get a grip on reality.

Running a religion is not a charitable activity. Churches should have no more privilidge than, say, a chess club.

Wow, nice analogy.
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 6:59:39 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/5/2016 1:32:27 AM, Looncall wrote:
At 10/5/2016 1:05:08 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 10/4/2016 5:16:00 AM, Stupidape wrote:
Churches and their equivalents should pay taxes just like any other business. Non-Christian religious structures should have to pay taxes too. I view them as a business and not a non-profit organization.
Whether you like it or not churches are charities. Their employees pay taxes if they have income. The red cross doesn't pay taxes but their employees do. Get a grip on reality.

Running a religion is not a charitable activity. Churches should have no more privilidge than, say, a chess club.

Chess clubs rarely hurt people, and not many Grand Masters are pedophile rapists.
Willows
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 8:59:17 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/5/2016 12:57:18 AM, Stupidape wrote:
With the Internet and libraries we already have free access to the Bible. The problem is that some so called "religions" charge money just to read their religious texts. At that point they have crossed the line from religion to cult and should be taxed.

Summary

Religion = Free information, no taxes.
Cult = Pay for information, should be taxed.

Religion = Distorted information and lies, double taxes and fines.
Willows
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 9:03:59 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/5/2016 1:05:08 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 10/4/2016 5:16:00 AM, Stupidape wrote:
Churches and their equivalents should pay taxes just like any other business. Non-Christian religious structures should have to pay taxes too. I view them as a business and not a non-profit organization.
Whether you like it or not churches are charities. Their employees pay taxes if they have income. The red cross doesn't pay taxes but their employees do. Get a grip on reality.

And the reality is that churches may be registered as charities but they are far from charitable, except unto themselves.

Churches, which are set up for the control and self-gratification of its members are the biggest tax dodgers of all time.
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,866
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 11:19:04 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/5/2016 9:03:59 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/5/2016 1:05:08 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 10/4/2016 5:16:00 AM, Stupidape wrote:
Churches and their equivalents should pay taxes just like any other business. Non-Christian religious structures should have to pay taxes too. I view them as a business and not a non-profit organization.
Whether you like it or not churches are charities. Their employees pay taxes if they have income. The red cross doesn't pay taxes but their employees do. Get a grip on reality.

And the reality is that churches may be registered as charities but they are far from charitable, except unto themselves.

Churches, which are set up for the control and self-gratification of its members are the biggest tax dodgers of all time.
You're an idiot...moving on
Willows
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 12:28:01 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/5/2016 11:19:04 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 10/5/2016 9:03:59 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/5/2016 1:05:08 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 10/4/2016 5:16:00 AM, Stupidape wrote:
Churches and their equivalents should pay taxes just like any other business. Non-Christian religious structures should have to pay taxes too. I view them as a business and not a non-profit organization.
Whether you like it or not churches are charities. Their employees pay taxes if they have income. The red cross doesn't pay taxes but their employees do. Get a grip on reality.

And the reality is that churches may be registered as charities but they are far from charitable, except unto themselves.

Churches, which are set up for the control and self-gratification of its members are the biggest tax dodgers of all time.
You're an idiot...moving on

Hot-headed, arrogant response that is typical of church die-hards.
Willing enough to cast hatred and abuse at minority groups and other faiths, instill fear and guilt to their own kind and dodge taxes yet when it comes to outside criticism, you won't take a bar of it.

A bit like road rage really, the guilty party is the loud abusive one.

Over the years church organizations have been guilty of the most heinous crimes against humanity. You may not like or agree with what you hear but you better get used to it because you are going to get it more and more by the bucket loads.
missmedic
Posts: 387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 2:26:37 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/4/2016 5:16:00 AM, Stupidape wrote:
Churches and their equivalents should pay taxes just like any other business. Non-Christian religious structures should have to pay taxes too. I view them as a business and not a non-profit organization.

All churches need to fill out form 990, just like all other non profit organisation. There are discrepancies in how secular and religious organizations are treated in maintaining their tax-exempt statuses. Secular non profits complete Form 990 annually, which details information about finances, donors, volunteers, and personnel; the IRS estimates it requires 211 hours to complete the Form 990, which is then public information. Religious non profits are exempted from filing the Form 990, so there is no public record about their finances, donors, volunteers, or personnel.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 3:07:29 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/4/2016 5:16:00 AM, Stupidape wrote:
Churches and their equivalents should pay taxes just like any other business. Non-Christian religious structures should have to pay taxes too. I view them as a business and not a non-profit organization.

I totally agree..
PureX
Posts: 1,528
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 4:27:49 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Churches are supported by contributions from their members. This is not "profit" because the church is not a for-profit business from which owners or investors collect dividends. As such, there is no logical or legal reason to tax them.

Churches that abuse their non-profit status to create wealth for it's administrators should be prosecuted not because they are a church, or because they aren't, but because they have violated the rules of non-profit status.

My point is that the issue is not about "churches", it's about non-profit status: defining and enforcing it, properly.
Looncall
Posts: 454
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 5:35:36 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/5/2016 4:27:49 PM, PureX wrote:
Churches are supported by contributions from their members. This is not "profit" because the church is not a for-profit business from which owners or investors collect dividends. As such, there is no logical or legal reason to tax them.

Churches that abuse their non-profit status to create wealth for it's administrators should be prosecuted not because they are a church, or because they aren't, but because they have violated the rules of non-profit status.

My point is that the issue is not about "churches", it's about non-profit status: defining and enforcing it, properly.

I consider church members to be customers of church organizations. Those organizations certainly collect wealth from their customers, just like the corner store.

It's not like churches are there to carry out some laudable service, such as supporting cancer research. They are there to peddle their product. If they also do some legitimate charitable work, I have no problem granting some sort of rebate for that.

Churches are often exempt from property taxes, at least around here. I don't see why that should be so. They benefit from roads etc, just like any other business.
The metaphysicist has no laboratory.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 6:02:27 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/5/2016 4:27:49 PM, PureX wrote:
Churches are supported by contributions from their members.

Its' known as a shake down, where the members are threatened or deceived to pay money, which is exactly what churches do. They are no less an expense to the rest of us as any other business that doesn't pay taxes.

This is not "profit" because the church is not a for-profit business from which owners or investors collect dividends. As such, there is no logical or legal reason to tax them.

Churches that abuse their non-profit status to create wealth for it's administrators should be prosecuted not because they are a church, or because they aren't, but because they have violated the rules of non-profit status.

My point is that the issue is not about "churches", it's about non-profit status: defining and enforcing it, properly.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,866
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 12:35:39 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/5/2016 12:28:01 PM, Willows wrote:
At 10/5/2016 11:19:04 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 10/5/2016 9:03:59 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/5/2016 1:05:08 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 10/4/2016 5:16:00 AM, Stupidape wrote:
Churches and their equivalents should pay taxes just like any other business. Non-Christian religious structures should have to pay taxes too. I view them as a business and not a non-profit organization.
Whether you like it or not churches are charities. Their employees pay taxes if they have income. The red cross doesn't pay taxes but their employees do. Get a grip on reality.

And the reality is that churches may be registered as charities but they are far from charitable, except unto themselves.

Churches, which are set up for the control and self-gratification of its members are the biggest tax dodgers of all time.
You're an idiot...moving on

Hot-headed, arrogant response that is typical of church die-hards.
Willing enough to cast hatred and abuse at minority groups and other faiths, instill fear and guilt to their own kind and dodge taxes yet when it comes to outside criticism, you won't take a bar of it.
I don't go to church you fffffuuuuccckckiingggg moron. I know the US tax code better than you'll ever wish to know it.
"Instill fear and guilt"......are you fffffuuuucccckkkingg for real. Wtf does that have to do with the subject, oh yeah nothing because your illogical bullllllsssshhhiiiitttt is losing ground. Excuse me while I cachinnate.
A bit like road rage really, the guilty party is the loud abusive one.
Umm no. Road rage finely honed results in a demeanor that is calm,cool, collective even after and during when the bullet blows your brains out of that skull of yours.
Over the years church organizations have been guilty of the most heinous crimes against humanity. You may not like or agree with what you hear but you better get used to it because you are going to get it more and more by the bucket loads.
Red herring....move on you're an idiot
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 6:45:21 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/6/2016 12:35:39 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 10/5/2016 12:28:01 PM, Willows wrote:
At 10/5/2016 11:19:04 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 10/5/2016 9:03:59 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/5/2016 1:05:08 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 10/4/2016 5:16:00 AM, Stupidape wrote:
Churches and their equivalents should pay taxes just like any other business. Non-Christian religious structures should have to pay taxes too. I view them as a business and not a non-profit organization.
Whether you like it or not churches are charities. Their employees pay taxes if they have income. The red cross doesn't pay taxes but their employees do. Get a grip on reality.

And the reality is that churches may be registered as charities but they are far from charitable, except unto themselves.

Churches, which are set up for the control and self-gratification of its members are the biggest tax dodgers of all time.
You're an idiot...moving on

Hot-headed, arrogant response that is typical of church die-hards.
Willing enough to cast hatred and abuse at minority groups and other faiths, instill fear and guilt to their own kind and dodge taxes yet when it comes to outside criticism, you won't take a bar of it.
I don't go to church you fffffuuuuccckckiingggg moron. I know the US tax code better than you'll ever wish to know it.
"Instill fear and guilt"......are you fffffuuuucccckkkingg for real. Wtf does that have to do with the subject, oh yeah nothing because your illogical bullllllsssshhhiiiitttt is losing ground. Excuse me while I cachinnate.
A bit like road rage really, the guilty party is the loud abusive one.
Umm no. Road rage finely honed results in a demeanor that is calm,cool, collective even after and during when the bullet blows your brains out of that skull of yours.
Over the years church organizations have been guilty of the most heinous crimes against humanity. You may not like or agree with what you hear but you better get used to it because you are going to get it more and more by the bucket loads.
Red herring....move on you're an idiot

With such a loving, forgiving nature you must be a christian, whether or not you go to a tax-free church.