Jump to topic:

Inconsistencies within the Christian story

MallardDuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 6:41:08 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Has anyone else here heard of the theory that many of the characters, events, and themes depicted in the Bible were taken from earlier religious texts? After researching this for some time, I find it very interesting how many things in the Bible also appear in earlier writings. According to this site, http://exposingchristianity.org... works preceding Christianity by centuries contain references and themes quite similar to the ones depicted in the Bible. Has anyone else looked into this theory?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 6:54:21 PM
At 10/4/2016 6:41:08 PM, MallardDuck wrote:
Has anyone else here heard of the theory that many of the characters, events, and themes depicted in the Bible were taken from earlier religious texts? After researching this for some time, I find it very interesting how many things in the Bible also appear in earlier writings. According to this site, http://exposingchristianity.org... works preceding Christianity by centuries contain references and themes quite similar to the ones depicted in the Bible. Has anyone else looked into this theory?

Yes. But Christians will deny it vehemently.
keithprosser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 7:43:46 PM
To get it out of the way, I am an atheist.

The OP isn't about inconsistencies at all, is it? It's about originality.

I don't think the idea that Christianity was cobbled together from pre-existing ideas works. There is a Babylonian flood myth that probably influenced the Biblical flood myth, but overall the OT doesn't borrow much if anything else. The message Jesus preached in the NT shows signs of Hellenic influence and there may be some borrowing in the nativity tales, but again it is largely original.

I think the site linked to the OP is a bad one. The scholarship (if any) seems very superficial and is more a polemic than a serious review of the facts.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 8:44:29 PM

The writer doesn"t even seem to understand what proof means. But obviously anyone can make whatever claims, but it is not reasonable to assume that people believe whatever someone claims, without any proof or real evidence.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 10:25:24 PM
At 10/4/2016 8:44:29 PM, 12_13 wrote:

The writer doesn"t even seem to understand what proof means. But obviously anyone can make whatever claims, but it is not reasonable to assume that people believe whatever someone claims, without any proof or real evidence.

Your religion has no proof of any kind, yet you believe whatever is claimed.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 12:58:19 PM

It is not just a theory, the article is essentially right but I would have to say that it is poorly presented and a bit on the extreme side.

Christian scholars have freely admitted the coincidences but in true Christian spirit have made lemonade from lemons by explaining that they only reinforce the validity of such "historical" events in the bible.
graceofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 3:10:45 PM

yeah it's been done to death......
rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 3:28:11 PM

Have you looked at the refutation of this theory?
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 4:13:47 PM

When dealing with mythology, the origins of the story matter far less than the message or ideal that the story is being used to convey. Such that exposing the origins of a mythical story in order to discredit the message or ideal the story conveys is both ineffective and illogical. The point of such mythical stories is to convey an ideal, not to be culturally or historically accurate. So attacking the later does nothing to discredit the former. Not to anyone who thinks, critically.

but lots of people still want to debate the origins to discredit the substance. It's human nature, I guess.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 7:29:01 PM
At 10/4/2016 10:25:24 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
Your religion has no proof of any kind,

I don"t believe in religion, I believe in Bible God and Jesus. And that is because we have the testimonies that are in the Bible. So I don"t believe without any evidence.

yet you believe whatever is claimed.

Do you think it is reasonable to lie on matter that is so obviously false? Don"t you understand that you lose all your credibility with such stupid lies?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2016 7:45:13 PM
At 10/5/2016 7:29:01 PM, 12_13 wrote:

I don"t believe in religion, I believe in Bible God and Jesus.

Yeah, that's religion.

And that is because we have the testimonies that are in the Bible. So I don"t believe without any evidence.

Testimonies without any evidence are meaningless.

Do you think it is reasonable to lie on matter that is so obviously false? Don"t you understand that you lose all your credibility with such stupid lies?

That is why believers here have very little if any credibility, they believe in "stupid lies".
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 2:23:09 AM

I assume you realize that belief is Christianity......a religion.

And that is because we have the testimonies that are in the Bible. So I don"t believe without any evidence.

So you believe Joseph Smith's claims in the Book of Mormon then?

What evidence do you have that the Bible is correct. Give me one specific piece of evidence. Please be detailed and reference your sources.

I was a Christian that spent many years trying to find one piece of empirical evidence. Spoiler alert: there is not one single shred of empirical evidence. It is all hearsay with the exact same argument that the Book of Mormon uses...just have faith.

Faith is something people have when they don't have evidence. Once you have evidence, it is automatically considered fact. Facts don't require faith.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 7:51:35 PM
At 10/6/2016 2:23:09 AM, matt8800 wrote:

So you believe Joseph Smith's claims in the Book of Mormon then?

I have not decided, but still, the book is evidence, but not necessary enough evidence for me to believe.

What evidence do you have that the Bible is correct. Give me one specific piece of evidence. Please be detailed and reference your sources.

What I meant earlier was, Bible is evidence for God. And evidence, broadly construed, is anything presented in support of an assertion. Bible indicates that perhaps there is really God that is why it is evidence for God.

But is there evidence that Bible is correct. I think everyone can test it by this:

If anyone desires to do his will, he will know about the teaching, whether it is from God, or if I am speaking from myself.
John 7:16-17

Faith is something people have when they don't have evidence. Once you have evidence, it is automatically considered fact. Facts don't require faith.

Fact has no meaning for person, if he doesn"t believe it. Therefore, every fact depends on belief. And I think faith is from word faithful that means loyal. People can be faithful, when they have enough reason for that.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 7:51:56 PM
At 10/5/2016 7:45:13 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Yeah, that's religion.

So, if you believe in Darwin, do you then also have religion?
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 2:25:16 PM
Posted: 1 month ago

Sure.

The theory that if something was written, every similar later event "borrowed" from the earlier is an old theory. And it is as silly as it is old.

In 1843 a book was written about flying planes into sky scrapers. The 9/11 hijackers MUST have gotten their idea from that book. I mean, the book was earlier. In England a man protesting what he thought was an unfair tax brought his cows to Parliament. Bet you're surprised that poor southern farmers in Alabama were so well read on British history huh?

I have to go sue Paul Simon. I wrote a song in 1971 and I just notice that Mr. Simon's 1987 song uses musical notes, just like mine. Mine was in 1971. He MUST have gotten his idea from my earlier work.

The Cad.