Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 10:03:29 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Fulfillment of the covenant.
Was it a literal fulfillment?
https://bible.org...
1 Kings 6:12""If you obey My Laws and keep My Word, then I will keep My promise with you, which I spoke to your father David about this house you are building. 13"I will live among the sons of Israel. And I will not leave My people Israel alone."

Solomon Builds the House of God
1 King 6:14"So Solomon built the house and finished it.

Luke 1:31"And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus. 32"He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David. 33"He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end."

God makes it clear Jesus will inherit the throne of his ancestor David which was a physical kingdom. He said Jesus will reign over the house of Jacob which are specifically the Jews. God did not say Jesus will sit on God's throne which is the kingdom of heaven.

The provisions of the Davidic covenant include, then, the following items: (1) David is to have a child, yet to be born, who shall succeed him and establish his kingdom. (2) This son (Solomon) shall build the temple instead of David. (3) The throne of his kingdom shall be established forever. (4) The throne will not be taken away from him (Solomon) even though his sins justify chastisement. (5) David"s house, throne, and kingdom shall be established forever.
To Solomon, then, was promised a throne which would be established forever. To David was promised a posterity, a throne, and a kingdom established forever. The promise is clear that the throne passed on through Solomon to David"s posterity was never to be abolished. It is not clear whether the posterity of David should be through the line of Solomon. It will be shown later that this fine point in the prophecy was occasioned by the cutting off of the posterity of Solomon as far as the throne is concerned.

Does the Davidic Covenant Require Literal Fulfillment?
If it were not for the difficulty of contradicting certain systems of interpretation of Scripture, it is doubtful whether anyone would have thought of interpreting the Davidic covenant as other than requiring a literal fulfillment. The arguments in favor of literal interpretation are so massive in their construction and so difficult to waive that they are more commonly ignored by those who do not want to believe in literal fulfillment than answered by argument. George N. H. Peters, in his monumental work, The Theocratic Kingdom, in Proposition 52, has listed no less than twenty-one arguments in favor of literal interpretation, not to include collateral material. His important arguments for literal interpretation may be summarized as follows: (1) the solemn character of the covenant which was confirmed by an oath; (2) a spiritual fulfillment would not be becoming to a solemn covenant. (3) Both David and Solomon apparently understood it to be literal (2 Sam 7:18-29; 2 Chron 6:14-16). (4) The language used, which is also used by the prophets, denotes a literal throne and kingdom. (5) The Jews plainly expected a literal fulfillment. (6) The throne and kingdom as a promise and inheritance belong to the humanity of Christ as the seed of David rather than belonging to His deity. (7) There is no ground for identifying David"s throne and the Father"s throne. (8) A symbolical interpretation of the covenant leaves its interpretation to man. (9) The literal fulfillment is requisite to the display of God"s government in the earth, necessary to the restoration and exaltation of the Jewish nation and deliverance of the earth from the curse. (10) Literal fulfillment is necessary to preserve the Divine unity of purpose.

An examination of the evidence has brought us to the conclusion that the Davidic covenant demands a literal fulfillment, that the partial fulfillment in no wise hinders a complete future fulfillment and in fact requires it, that only a literal fulfillment is in harmony with the other covenant purposes of God, and that the New Testament is not only silent on any identification of the present position of Christ with the Davidic throne but specifically separates the present period of Gentile blessing from Israel"s future glory.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 10:21:05 PM
At 10/4/2016 10:03:29 PM, Harikrish wrote:
1 Kings 6:12""If you obey My Laws and keep My Word, then I will keep My promise with you, which I spoke to your father David about this house you are building. 13"I will live among the sons of Israel. And I will not leave My people Israel alone."

Luke 1:31"And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus. 32"He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his ancestor David. 33"He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end."

God makes it clear Jesus will inherit the throne of his ancestor David which was a physical kingdom. He said Jesus will reign over the house of Jacob which are specifically the Jews. God did not say Jesus will sit on God's throne which is the kingdom of heaven.

The provisions of the Davidic covenant include, then, the following items: (1) David is to have a child, yet to be born, who shall succeed him and establish his kingdom. (2) This son (Solomon) shall build the temple instead of David. (3) The throne of his kingdom shall be established forever. (4) The throne will not be taken away from him (Solomon) even though his sins justify chastisement. (5) David"s house, throne, and kingdom shall be established forever.
To Solomon, then, was promised a throne which would be established forever. To David was promised a posterity, a throne, and a kingdom established forever. The promise is clear that the throne passed on through Solomon to David"s posterity was never to be abolished. It is not clear whether the posterity of David should be through the line of Solomon. It will be shown later that this fine point in the prophecy was occasioned by the cutting off of the posterity of Solomon as far as the throne is concerned.

If it were not for the difficulty of contradicting certain systems of interpretation of Scripture, it is doubtful whether anyone would have thought of interpreting the Davidic covenant as other than requiring a literal fulfillment. The arguments in favor of literal interpretation are so massive in their construction and so difficult to waive that they are more commonly ignored by those who do not want to believe in literal fulfillment than answered by argument. George N. H. Peters, in his monumental work, The Theocratic Kingdom, in Proposition 52, has listed no less than twenty-one arguments in favor of literal interpretation, not to include collateral material. His important arguments for literal interpretation may be summarized as follows: (1) the solemn character of the covenant which was confirmed by an oath; (2) a spiritual fulfillment would not be becoming to a solemn covenant. (3) Both David and Solomon apparently understood it to be literal (2 Sam 7:18-29; 2 Chron 6:14-16). (4) The language used, which is also used by the prophets, denotes a literal throne and kingdom. (5) The Jews plainly expected a literal fulfillment. (6) The throne and kingdom as a promise and inheritance belong to the humanity of Christ as the seed of David rather than belonging to His deity. (7) There is no ground for identifying David"s throne and the Father"s throne. (8) A symbolical interpretation of the covenant leaves its interpretation to man. (9) The literal fulfillment is requisite to the display of God"s government in the earth, necessary to the restoration and exaltation of the Jewish nation and deliverance of the earth from the curse. (10) Literal fulfillment is necessary to preserve the Divine unity of purpose.

An examination of the evidence has brought us to the conclusion that the Davidic covenant demands a literal fulfillment, that the partial fulfillment in no wise hinders a complete future fulfillment and in fact requires it, that only a literal fulfillment is in harmony with the other covenant purposes of God, and that the New Testament is not only silent on any identification of the present position of Christ with the Davidic throne but specifically separates the present period of Gentile blessing from Israel"s future glory.

Tell the early Christians and his apostles that.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 10:34:51 PM
At 10/4/2016 10:21:05 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Too late. Jesus could not expand the Davidic covenant because he had no descendants. And like the Abrahamic covenant was passed on by his seed so too was the Davidic covenant designed to be passed on by David"s "house" it can hardly be doubted that reference is made to David"s posterity, his physical descendants. The right to rule always belonged to David"s seed. By the term "kingdom" there is reference to David"s political kingdom.
By rejecting Jesus the Jews remain in the covenant that will continue to remain with the Jews which would have ended if they followed Jesus who left no descendants.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 10:41:49 PM
At 10/4/2016 10:34:51 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Too late. Jesus could not expand the Davidic covenant because he had no descendants. And like the Abrahamic covenant was passed on by his seed so too was the Davidic covenant designed to be passed on by David"s "house" it can hardly be doubted that reference is made to David"s posterity, his physical descendants. The right to rule always belonged to David"s seed. By the term "kingdom" there is reference to David"s political kingdom.
By rejecting Jesus the Jews remain in the covenant that will continue to remain with the Jews which would have ended if they followed Jesus who left no descendants.

God's drscendents are spiritual according to himself. Anything else?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2016 10:46:35 PM
At 10/4/2016 10:41:49 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 10/4/2016 10:34:51 PM, Harikrish wrote:

God's drscendents are spiritual according to himself. Anything else?

Jesus was born in a womb. There is nothing spiritual.about that. He was very human and bled when he was pierced.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 2:37:57 PM
The Davidic covenant is a literal fulfillment. The Mosaic covenant was conditional. Moses was slow in mind and speech that God did not trust him to articulate a clear covenant.
Evidence of his diminished mental capacity is overwhelming. Not only did it take him 40 years to reach the promise land when a journey from Egypt to Canaan only takes at most a month. And to top,it all Mises was denied entry into the promised land after he found it because he angered God by striking the rocks when he was instructed to speak to it. Moses obviously didn't follow directions or instructions too well.

A simple common sense approach to the Exodus.

" According to Exodus 12, there were about 2 million slaves freed during the Exodus from Egypt. Excluding animals, carts, supplies, and allowing one yard of space for each individual and walking 5 people side by side. This line would have been 227 miles long. For comparison, this is about the distance from St. Louis to Kansas City, or from Cairo Egypt to The Promised Land itself.

The average human walking speed is about 3.1 mph. Lets say this tribe walked 2 mph and 8 hours of walking per day, this is 16 miles per day. At this rate they would reach the Promised Land in two weeks. If this is the case, why did it take so long? What were they doing for 40 years in a 227 mile long line in an such a small region? Why did magic manna food fall from the sky to feed this dragged out line of people? I think the reason is clear, he invented snake.

Why do you think it took them 40 years to reach The Promised Land?"