Jump to topic:

Religious Debate Recruiment

Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 7:18:16 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
I would like to see a 5 round honest debate between the most articulate and skilled debaters among the faithful. I will act as a judge and recruiter for said debates. As an atheist I would make a perfect judge, as I have no inherent bias towards any faith.

The topic that most interests me is "Was Jesus the foretold Messiah?" which I would ask an educated Jew and Christian debate the subject.

Another subject would be "Does the God of Abraham exist?" This could be a 1v1 debate, but i'd like to see 2 Abrahamic traditions go against 2 non-Abrahamic faiths.

Finally I'd like to see a debate about the existence of Hell and damnation. Do non-belivers go to a place of fire? This debate would be open to those who has a compelling and opposite argument of other who are interested.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 7:55:37 AM
At 10/6/2016 7:42:25 AM, tarantula wrote:
And what qualifies you to be the judge of any debate? LOL!!!!

tarantula replace him!!
Never fart near dog
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 8:18:55 AM

Well, if you look at most of my past debates I engaged in them honorably. I have also voted honorably in other debates.

But as I said in the OP, as an atheist I'd be qualified to judge theological debates as a non-partisan party.

But if if you think I'm personally unqualified please specify why.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 10:02:58 AM
At 10/6/2016 7:18:16 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
I would like to see a 5 round honest debate between the most articulate and skilled debaters among the faithful. I will act as a judge and recruiter for said debates. As an atheist I would make a perfect judge, as I have no inherent bias towards any faith.

The topic that most interests me is "Was Jesus the foretold Messiah?" which I would ask an educated Jew and Christian debate the subject.

Another subject would be "Does the God of Abraham exist?" This could be a 1v1 debate, but i'd like to see 2 Abrahamic traditions go against 2 non-Abrahamic faiths.

Finally I'd like to see a debate about the existence of Hell and damnation. Do non-belivers go to a place of fire? This debate would be open to those who has a compelling and opposite argument of other who are interested.

from my islamic stance:
- Jesus is a messiah.
- Yes the God of Abraham exists.
- Hell does exist for sure. All non believers will go there.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 11:33:28 AM

It will never get off the ground. The problem is you just will not find articulate and skilled debaters among the faithful.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 12:50:20 PM
At 10/6/2016 8:18:55 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

Well, if you look at most of my past debates I engaged in them honorably. I have also voted honorably in other debates.

But as I said in the OP, as an atheist I'd be qualified to judge theological debates as a non-partisan party.

You obviously have a very BIG opinion of yourself, LOL!!!!
PGA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 1:11:46 PM

I would be happy to defend that Jesus is the foretold Messiah but I have a problem with your statement that you are unbiased. We all have biases. Without a good working knowledge of the Bible are you going to be able to recognize a good argument based on Scripture? This has not been my witness of unbelievers.

If you could convince me that you would take the strength and weaknesses of the arguments into account without bias you can chalk my name in for this debate but I will not be able to participate until next Friday due to holidays and other commitments. Being an atheist you already have a side, a worldview you are well invested in. So convince me you have no bias either way and can be a "perfect judge" or at least a thoughtful one.

Peter
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 6:07:53 PM
At 10/6/2016 12:50:20 PM, tarantula wrote:
At 10/6/2016 8:18:55 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

You obviously have a very BIG opinion of yourself, LOL!!!!

It seems deserved given you didn't specify a reason why I'd be unqualified. Given your behavior, you must enjoy being a troll. What a low opinion of yourself you must have.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 6:15:48 PM
At 10/6/2016 1:11:46 PM, PGA wrote:

I would be happy to defend that Jesus is the foretold Messiah but I have a problem with your statement that you are unbiased. We all have biases. Without a good working knowledge of the Bible are you going to be able to recognize a good argument based on Scripture? This has not been my witness of unbelievers.

If you could convince me that you would take the strength and weaknesses of the arguments into account without bias you can chalk my name in for this debate but I will not be able to participate until next Friday due to holidays and other commitments. Being an atheist you already have a side, a worldview you are well invested in. So convince me you have no bias either way and can be a "perfect judge" or at least a thoughtful one.

Peter

If the debate where between an athiest and theist then yes, there would be obvious bias on my part as a judge. But because both sides would be theists it would be equally obvious that I'd judge them given the existence of God. Because I'm neither a Christian nor Jew bias towards one faith would not exist. It would be silly to offer to judge then say "both are wrong because God doesn't exist". And when it comes to my ability to see good scriptural arguments is moot - given that the position of the Jew would be to argue that the Christians scripture interpretation is false and misleading. If you require a judge to be well versed in Scripture that judge likely has already formed an opinion.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 7:28:11 PM

Atheists are biased towards all faiths. The last thing we need on the panel is a confused atheist or someone not too far removed from his monkey ancestor.

The subject of the debate would be offensive to the Jews. They have already rejected the notion that Jesus was the foretold Messiah. This would be a re-litigation of their past. It would also put the Romans in an awkward position. They both crucified Jesus and then went on to convert the world through the Roman Cattholic Church to accept the criminal they crucified as God. And they almost succeeded, until a real prophet showed up. The prophet Mohammad (pbuh). Now we know why Jesus was killed, he was a Muslim.

There are many sources that prove jesus was a Muslim.
http://www.wnd.com...

The God of Abraham must exist. He is the God of the three biggest religions; Judaism, Christianity and Islam. But He is not the only God or the brightest. The three religions he spawned are at odds with each other. If you are looking for a unity of Gods you have to turn to Hinduism. Which unfortunately is beyond your current scope.

The existence of Hell and Damnation are in the minds of the beholder. Christians like their Hell hotter and prefer to drown in it (lake of fire). Jews believe Hell and Damnation is not being successfully rich. And Islam is pragmatic about Hell and Damnation. To them it's a place to send infidels. Hindus avoid both by reincarnating and returning to more familiar surroundings.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 8:11:50 PM
At 10/6/2016 7:28:11 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Atheists are biased towards all faiths. The last thing we need on the panel is a confused atheist or someone not too far removed from his monkey ancestor.

At least the atheist rejects all religions equally. But which faith would have the least bias in judging theistic debates? Let me guess, yours?

The subject of the debate would be offensive to the Jews. They have already rejected the notion that Jesus was the foretold Messiah. This would be a re-litigation of their past.

Seeing how Christians, Jews, and even Muslims disagree on the subject to this day it is a worthy topic for debate. And it wouldn't be offensive to Jews seeing how you say it's already part of their past.

It would also put the Romans in an awkward position.

I'm sure the Romans won't mind.

They both crucified Jesus and then went on to convert the world through the Roman Cattholic Church to accept the criminal they crucified as God. And they almost succeeded, until a real prophet showed up. The prophet Mohammad (pbuh). Now we know why Jesus was killed, he was a Muslim.

This could also be a topic for debate, but one I'm less interested in.

The God of Abraham must exist. He is the God of the three biggest religions; Judaism, Christianity and Islam. But He is not the only God or the brightest. The three religions he spawned are at odds with each other. If you are looking for a unity of Gods you have to turn to Hinduism. Which unfortunately is beyond your current scope.

Judaism is not one of the biggest religions, it's not even in the top 5. Christianity, Islam and Hinduism are the top 3 largest faiths. Being a Muslim, Hinduism is beyond your scope as well.

The existence of Hell and Damnation are in the minds of the beholder. Christians like their Hell hotter and prefer to drown in it (lake of fire). Jews believe Hell and Damnation is not being successfully rich. And Islam is pragmatic about Hell and Damnation. To them it's a place to send infidels. Hindus avoid both by reincarnating and returning to more familiar surroundings.

So do Hindus go to Hell as infidels or are they reincarnated?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 8:54:48 PM
At 10/6/2016 8:11:50 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

At least the atheist rejects all religions equally. But which faith would have the least bias in judging theistic debates? Let me guess, yours?

Your guess is better than your theory of self.

The subject of the debate would be offensive to the Jews. They have already rejected the notion that Jesus was the foretold Messiah. This would be a re-litigation of their past.

Seeing how Christians, Jews, and even Muslims disagree on the subject to this day it is a worthy topic for debate. And it wouldn't be offensive to Jews seeing how you say it's already part of their past.

You miss the point. They paid dearly for their beliefs in the past. The last thing they need is to re-litigate it.

Over a billion Christians have already accepted the Roman Catholic Church. They do mind unnecessarily debating what has been put to rest. Jesus was sent to save the Jews, but Paul saved the Gentiles by introducing them to Jewish beliefs that Jesus a Jewish Rabbi held. The history of Christianity gets very awkward.

They both crucified Jesus and then went on to convert the world through the Roman Cattholic Church to accept the criminal they crucified as God. And they almost succeeded, until a real prophet showed up. The prophet Mohammad (pbuh). Now we know why Jesus was killed, he was a Muslim.

That is like ignoring 1.6 billion Muslims poised to outpace Christianity. Call it your confirmation bias.

Judaism is not one of the biggest religions, it's not even in the top 5. Christianity, Islam and Hinduism are the top 3 largest faiths. Being a Muslim, Hinduism is beyond your scope as well.

Both Christianity and Islam have their roots in Judiasm. The bulk of what they believe is still Judiasm which puts Judiasm at the top of the three.

Hindus avoid both (Hell and Damnation) by reincarnating and returning to more familiar surroundings.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 10:09:25 PM
At 10/6/2016 8:54:48 PM, Harikrish wrote:

I think therefore I am.

You miss the point. They paid dearly for their beliefs in the past. The last thing they need is to re-litigate it.

I'm pretty sure modern jews would understand an online debate won't lead to another millennia of oppression and attempted genocide.

Over a billion Christians have already accepted the Roman Catholic Church. They do mind unnecessarily debating what has been put to rest. Jesus was sent to save the Jews, but Paul saved the Gentiles by introducing them to Jewish beliefs that Jesus a Jewish Rabbi held. The history of Christianity gets very awkward.

But Jews still exist, so it hasn't been put to rest. And I highly doubt you care about the comfort of Jews or Catholics.

That is like ignoring 1.6 billion Muslims poised to outpace Christianity. Call it your confirmation bias.

Seeing how both Jews and Christians would reject your claim that Jesus was a Muslim, especially when Islam as an organized religion didn't even exist at the time, I'm not ignoring anything, it just doesn't interest me as a topic because I'm guess you're use of the word Muslim would depend on the semantic definition that anyone who submits to God is a Muslim. Again, I'm interested in if he was the messiah, not a Muslim.

Both Christianity and Islam have their roots in Judiasm. The bulk of what they believe is still Judiasm which puts Judiasm at the top of the three.

Except for the fundamental belief that neither Jesus nor Mohamed were prophets or related to God in any way, sure they're similar.

Hindus avoid both (Hell and Damnation) by reincarnating and returning to more familiar surroundings.

Where in the Quran or Hadiths does it say reincarnation is a thing?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 10:28:09 PM
At 10/6/2016 10:09:25 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/6/2016 8:54:48 PM, Harikrish wrote:

I think therefore I am.

I'm pretty sure modern jews would understand an online debate won't lead to another millennia of oppression and attempted genocide.

But Jews still exist, so it hasn't been put to rest. And I highly doubt you care about the comfort of Jews or Catholics.

Seeing how both Jews and Christians would reject your claim that Jesus was a Muslim, especially when Islam as an organized religion didn't even exist at the time, I'm not ignoring anything, it just doesn't interest me as a topic because I'm guess you're use of the word Muslim would depend on the semantic definition that anyone who submits to God is a Muslim. Again, I'm interested in if he was the messiah, not a Muslim.

Except for the fundamental belief that neither Jesus nor Mohamed were prophets or related to God in any way, sure they're similar.

Where in the Quran or Hadiths does it say reincarnation is a thing?

Muslims don't believe in reincarnation, only Hindus do. JW claim Jesus was an incarnate of Michael. But that isn't reincarnation, they are distorting the Bible in a different way than other Christians distort it.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 10:46:32 PM
At 10/6/2016 10:28:09 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Muslims don't believe in reincarnation, only Hindus do. JW claim Jesus was an incarnate of Michael. But that isn't reincarnation, they are distorting the Bible in a different way than other Christians distort it.

I originally asked you if Hindus go to hell for being infidels and you said they are reincarnated. So even though Muslims don't believe in reincarnation hindus are reincarnated?
PGA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 2:26:32 AM
At 10/6/2016 6:15:48 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/6/2016 1:11:46 PM, PGA wrote:

Peter

If the debate where between an athiest and theist then yes, there would be obvious bias on my part as a judge. But because both sides would be theists it would be equally obvious that I'd judge them given the existence of God. Because I'm neither a Christian nor Jew bias towards one faith would not exist. It would be silly to offer to judge then say "both are wrong because God doesn't exist". And when it comes to my ability to see good scriptural arguments is moot - given that the position of the Jew would be to argue that the Christians scripture interpretation is false and misleading. If you require a judge to be well versed in Scripture that judge likely has already formed an opinion.

First off, I am not the most articulate or skilled debater on this forum (very long winded at times), but I am willing to offer the argument that Jesus/Yeshua most definitely was Israel's long awaited Messiah and the Scriptures point to no other.

The issue I'm worried about is whether or not you are able to understand the complexity of the argument in light of Scripture. It means I have to work harder to develop the backbone of the argument (which I might have to do anyway), but I'm willing to try if you can find someone who fits the bill. If you find someone you think is more qualified for my position then pencil them in.

This is not the only place that bias can kick in, however. Reputation can sometimes do the same thing. Can you judge a debate without paying attention to the ELO rating of the number of victories? If so then I'll let you judge the debate.

Peter
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 3:52:11 AM
I would like to see a 5 round honest debate

Pfft.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 4:04:43 AM
At 10/7/2016 3:52:11 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Pfft.

What's wrong softy?
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 4:14:44 AM
At 10/7/2016 4:04:43 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

Pfft.

What's wrong softy?

Honest religious debates don't just happen.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 4:20:54 AM
At 10/7/2016 4:14:44 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 10/7/2016 4:04:43 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

Pfft.

What's wrong softy?

Honest religious debates don't just happen.

Well if there was any attempt at lies or deception or bad form it would certainly loose points.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 7:30:46 AM

Lmao,

The subject of the debate would be offensive to the Jews. They have already rejected the notion that Jesus was the foretold Messiah. This would be a re-litigation of their past. It would also put the Romans in an awkward position. They both crucified Jesus and then went on to convert the world through the Roman Cattholic Church to accept the criminal they crucified as God. And they almost succeeded, until a real prophet showed up. The prophet Mohammad (pbuh). Now we know why Jesus was killed, he was a Muslim.

PrizeBeatz1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 7:10:18 PM

I am willing to debate against "was Jesus the foretold Messiah". Please be aware I have no experience but I am confident I can win.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:07:11 PM
At 10/7/2016 7:10:18 PM, PrizeBeatz1 wrote:

I am willing to debate against "was Jesus the foretold Messiah". Please be aware I have no experience but I am confident I can win.

While confidence is admirable, it's a bit odd that a Catholic would argue against Jesus being the Messiah. And lacking scriptural knowledge would put you at an extreme disadvantage. But if there are no others I'll keep you in mind. Thank you.
PrizeBeatz1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:18:19 PM
At 10/7/2016 8:07:11 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

While confidence is admirable, it's a bit odd that a Catholic would argue against Jesus being the Messiah. And lacking scriptural knowledge would put you at an extreme disadvantage. But if there are no others I'll keep you in mind. Thank you.

I have enough knowledge to get by. The Catholics have the wrong interpretation. Jesus is a metaphor for the soul. It is the soul that is the foretold Messiah. Jesus is just symbolism for this part of us that is born pure of a virgin, miraculous, rejected and buried yet still lives. Thank you for considering.
PGA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 9:57:10 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/7/2016 8:18:19 PM, PrizeBeatz1 wrote:
At 10/7/2016 8:07:11 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

I have enough knowledge to get by. The Catholics have the wrong interpretation.

Jesus is a metaphor for the soul. It is the soul that is the foretold Messiah. Jesus is just symbolism for this part of us that is born pure of a virgin, miraculous, rejected and buried yet still lives.

Rubbish.

Thank you for considering.