Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

the value we give things, depends on these 2

lightseeker
Posts: 1,034
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 9:34:33 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
all right, this also could come in other forums, but I decided to post it here because it can have some religious aspect to it.

the value with give things depends on two factors:

1 - the way we look at things
2 - our emotion toward things

and the emotion we have toward things also follows the way we look at things. for example, if you're a very famous person, fame has a completely different meaning to you, than a person who's trying his/her first steps in the ladder of fame or success. and because of that, you feel very different towards fame, than that other person. the image of a dream house/dream car ... in the mind of a poor person, is very different from those images in the mind of a rich person. the way we feel about food when we're hungry, is completely different from when we're so full that we're about to throw up.

we send our children to schools, and maybe even force them to go or do their homework, because of the way we look at literacy and having knowledge. vaccination, taking them to doctors/dentists, limiting their time with games, ... are all also because of the way we look at our children and the picture we have for them in our mind. but for a child, it's a completely different story. because a child doesn't know his/her own inherent value and potential.

we have the same principle in religion: God has created man, and therefor knows the potential it possesses. therefor we have a lot of rules and regulations in the religion. these many rules only show that the value of humans is very high in the eye of God. and even in the tools humans create, we've seen that everything that's very complicated and very valuable, has a very long and detailed work manual.

so, if you're sure that your religion is the right one, but you're wondering why there are so many rules, you should realize that it's only because you're a very precious gem that needs to be shaped correctly, and those rules are there to guide you through the way.

but, the principles of religion should be completely logical and humane. so, make sure you're following the correct religion.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 9:43:13 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/6/2016 9:34:33 PM, lightseeker wrote:
all right, this also could come in other forums, but I decided to post it here because it can have some religious aspect to it.

the value with give things depends on two factors:

1 - the way we look at things
2 - our emotion toward things

and the emotion we have toward things also follows the way we look at things. for example, if you're a very famous person, fame has a completely different meaning to you, than a person who's trying his/her first steps in the ladder of fame or success. and because of that, you feel very different towards fame, than that other person. the image of a dream house/dream car ... in the mind of a poor person, is very different from those images in the mind of a rich person. the way we feel about food when we're hungry, is completely different from when we're so full that we're about to throw up.

we send our children to schools, and maybe even force them to go or do their homework, because of the way we look at literacy and having knowledge. vaccination, taking them to doctors/dentists, limiting their time with games, ... are all also because of the way we look at our children and the picture we have for them in our mind. but for a child, it's a completely different story. because a child doesn't know his/her own inherent value and potential.

we have the same principle in religion: God has created man, and therefor knows the potential it possesses. therefor we have a lot of rules and regulations in the religion. these many rules only show that the value of humans is very high in the eye of God.

Since man is the result of evolution, we create our own rules and regulations.

and even in the tools humans create, we've seen that everything that's very complicated and very valuable, has a very long and detailed work manual.

so, if you're sure that your religion is the right one, but you're wondering why there are so many rules, you should realize that it's only because you're a very precious gem that needs to be shaped correctly, and those rules are there to guide you through the way.

It's the other way round, valued people have less rules and regulations to deal with as they are held in confidence to do the right thing.

but, the principles of religion should be completely logical and humane.

Unfortunately, they aren't logical or humane by any stretch of the imagination.

so, make sure you're following the correct religion.

Or, don't follow any religions in case you're wrong.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 1:14:35 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/6/2016 9:34:33 PM, lightseeker wrote:
all right, this also could come in other forums, but I decided to post it here because it can have some religious aspect to it.

the value with give things depends on two factors:

1 - the way we look at things
2 - our emotion toward things

and the emotion we have toward things also follows the way we look at things. for example, if you're a very famous person, fame has a completely different meaning to you, than a person who's trying his/her first steps in the ladder of fame or success. and because of that, you feel very different towards fame, than that other person. the image of a dream house/dream car ... in the mind of a poor person, is very different from those images in the mind of a rich person. the way we feel about food when we're hungry, is completely different from when we're so full that we're about to throw up.

we send our children to schools, and maybe even force them to go or do their homework, because of the way we look at literacy and having knowledge. vaccination, taking them to doctors/dentists, limiting their time with games, ... are all also because of the way we look at our children and the picture we have for them in our mind. but for a child, it's a completely different story. because a child doesn't know his/her own inherent value and potential.

we have the same principle in religion: God has created man, and therefor knows the potential it possesses. therefor we have a lot of rules and regulations in the religion. these many rules only show that the value of humans is very high in the eye of God. and even in the tools humans create, we've seen that everything that's very complicated and very valuable, has a very long and detailed work manual.

so, if you're sure that your religion is the right one, but you're wondering why there are so many rules, you should realize that it's only because you're a very precious gem that needs to be shaped correctly, and those rules are there to guide you through the way.

but, the principles of religion should be completely logical and humane. so, make sure you're following the correct religion.

I'm a can gobbling goat. Was that the correct answer? No? Dang. Back to being a knuckle dragging, banana gobbling chimpanzee.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 4:53:48 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/6/2016 9:43:13 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 10/6/2016 9:34:33 PM, lightseeker wrote:
all right, this also could come in other forums, but I decided to post it here because it can have some religious aspect to it.

the value with give things depends on two factors:

1 - the way we look at things
2 - our emotion toward things

and the emotion we have toward things also follows the way we look at things. for example, if you're a very famous person, fame has a completely different meaning to you, than a person who's trying his/her first steps in the ladder of fame or success. and because of that, you feel very different towards fame, than that other person. the image of a dream house/dream car ... in the mind of a poor person, is very different from those images in the mind of a rich person. the way we feel about food when we're hungry, is completely different from when we're so full that we're about to throw up.

we send our children to schools, and maybe even force them to go or do their homework, because of the way we look at literacy and having knowledge. vaccination, taking them to doctors/dentists, limiting their time with games, ... are all also because of the way we look at our children and the picture we have for them in our mind. but for a child, it's a completely different story. because a child doesn't know his/her own inherent value and potential.

we have the same principle in religion: God has created man, and therefor knows the potential it possesses. therefor we have a lot of rules and regulations in the religion. these many rules only show that the value of humans is very high in the eye of God.

Since man is the result of evolution, we create our own rules and regulations.

No, we don't. I know you're trying to speak using collective terminology, but everyday you're following rules implemented by precise mandates created by a calculated system. You need to make a U-turn in the left hand turning lane. You have plenty of room to do so, but there's a sign that plainly states "No U-Turn". So now you have to go 3 blocks down the road just to make a U-Turn, or make a left into a strip mall to turn around. We may not always know why that no U-Turn lane is there, but there's a chance that if you violate that mandate you'll disrupt the system. (You might hit someone driving out from the strip mall, or they may hit you). If that rule wasn't there, you would assume you had enough room to make a U, and possibly fall victim to the unexpected.

Even those at the very top of the decision making chain, whoever they are, the alleged all-seeing-eye either have to follow rules now, or they will when they are physically (and mentally) incapable of making certain decisions for themselves. There's no way around it for anyone. For the rest of your life you'll have decisions made for you.

There have been plenty of highly intelligent men (Galileo, George Washington Carver) who understood the principle of accountability to a higher system, even higher than man.
and even in the tools humans create, we've seen that everything that's very complicated and very valuable, has a very long and detailed work manual.

so, if you're sure that your religion is the right one, but you're wondering why there are so many rules, you should realize that it's only because you're a very precious gem that needs to be shaped correctly, and those rules are there to guide you through the way.

It's the other way round, valued people have less rules and regulations to deal with as they are held in confidence to do the right thing.

While these are subjects worthy of threads for themselves. Society is out of control in a number of areas. Right now, as we speak, many literally believe that slaughtering infants is justifiable. Maybe 30 years from now our society will be viewed as brutal as we view the Aztecs and Nazis. Keep in mind, the Aztecs and Nazis never submitted to any notion of being brutal. They thought what they did was justified.
but, the principles of religion should be completely logical and humane.

Unfortunately, they aren't logical or humane by any stretch of the imagination.

so, make sure you're following the correct religion.

Or, don't follow any religions in case you're wrong.
In a way you're right. Religion also carries a negative connotation, specifically in Christianity. There's a difference between following religion, and following God.
PrizeBeatz1
Posts: 48
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 5:17:16 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
In my experience the desire to assign value is based on an unconscious belief that value lies outside ourselves. The truth is that WE ARE value and that value is infinite, eternal and unconditional. The personality projects that value onto objects outside of itself and grows dependent on things like money, success, living up to an image of being a good Christian, for example. The issue of self-worth is missing because most people don't know where it comes from. It comes from the soul which is the infinite eternal part of us. Without it we feel worthless, thus the need to assign value outside of us and then obtain the object of that value.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:06:43 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 4:53:48 PM, RoderickSpode wrote:
At 10/6/2016 9:43:13 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 10/6/2016 9:34:33 PM, lightseeker wrote:
all right, this also could come in other forums, but I decided to post it here because it can have some religious aspect to it.

the value with give things depends on two factors:

1 - the way we look at things
2 - our emotion toward things

and the emotion we have toward things also follows the way we look at things. for example, if you're a very famous person, fame has a completely different meaning to you, than a person who's trying his/her first steps in the ladder of fame or success. and because of that, you feel very different towards fame, than that other person. the image of a dream house/dream car ... in the mind of a poor person, is very different from those images in the mind of a rich person. the way we feel about food when we're hungry, is completely different from when we're so full that we're about to throw up.

we send our children to schools, and maybe even force them to go or do their homework, because of the way we look at literacy and having knowledge. vaccination, taking them to doctors/dentists, limiting their time with games, ... are all also because of the way we look at our children and the picture we have for them in our mind. but for a child, it's a completely different story. because a child doesn't know his/her own inherent value and potential.

we have the same principle in religion: God has created man, and therefor knows the potential it possesses. therefor we have a lot of rules and regulations in the religion. these many rules only show that the value of humans is very high in the eye of God.

Since man is the result of evolution, we create our own rules and regulations.

No, we don't. I know you're trying to speak using collective terminology, but everyday you're following rules implemented by precise mandates created by a calculated system. You need to make a U-turn in the left hand turning lane. You have plenty of room to do so, but there's a sign that plainly states "No U-Turn". So now you have to go 3 blocks down the road just to make a U-Turn, or make a left into a strip mall to turn around. We may not always know why that no U-Turn lane is there, but there's a chance that if you violate that mandate you'll disrupt the system. (You might hit someone driving out from the strip mall, or they may hit you). If that rule wasn't there, you would assume you had enough room to make a U, and possibly fall victim to the unexpected.

Perhaps, I should clarify, Rod. What I meant that as humans, we all collectively make the rules and regulations for ourselves, like your example above of being able to make or not make U turns. Individually, we are supposed to follow those rules, although folks will still make U turns regardless of signs.

Even those at the very top of the decision making chain, whoever they are, the alleged all-seeing-eye either have to follow rules now, or they will when they are physically (and mentally) incapable of making certain decisions for themselves. There's no way around it for anyone. For the rest of your life you'll have decisions made for you.

There have been plenty of highly intelligent men (Galileo, George Washington Carver) who understood the principle of accountability to a higher system, even higher than man.

There's no accountability higher than man, its the only accountability that matters, that of to each other. When people start talking about accountability to anything higher, then the tend to lose sight of their accountability to each other.

and even in the tools humans create, we've seen that everything that's very complicated and very valuable, has a very long and detailed work manual.

so, if you're sure that your religion is the right one, but you're wondering why there are so many rules, you should realize that it's only because you're a very precious gem that needs to be shaped correctly, and those rules are there to guide you through the way.

It's the other way round, valued people have less rules and regulations to deal with as they are held in confidence to do the right thing.

While these are subjects worthy of threads for themselves. Society is out of control in a number of areas. Right now, as we speak, many literally believe that slaughtering infants is justifiable.

I haven't heard that one other than in Muslim societies where they kill their daughters.

Maybe 30 years from now our society will be viewed as brutal as we view the Aztecs and Nazis. Keep in mind, the Aztecs and Nazis never submitted to any notion of being brutal. They thought what they did was justified.

The German people over all were horrified when they actually found out what was really going on, but they didn't find out till after it was all over, then they saw the death camps. The Aztecs were simply practicing their religion.

but, the principles of religion should be completely logical and humane.

Unfortunately, they aren't logical or humane by any stretch of the imagination.

so, make sure you're following the correct religion.

Or, don't follow any religions in case you're wrong.
In a way you're right. Religion also carries a negative connotation, specifically in Christianity. There's a difference between following religion, and following God.

Not really, they are the same thing, there isn't one Bible for God and another for Christianity.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
RoderickSpode
Posts: 2,384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 8:41:39 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/7/2016 8:06:43 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Since man is the result of evolution, we create our own rules and regulations.

No, we don't. I know you're trying to speak using collective terminology, but everyday you're following rules implemented by precise mandates created by a calculated system. You need to make a U-turn in the left hand turning lane. You have plenty of room to do so, but there's a sign that plainly states "No U-Turn". So now you have to go 3 blocks down the road just to make a U-Turn, or make a left into a strip mall to turn around. We may not always know why that no U-Turn lane is there, but there's a chance that if you violate that mandate you'll disrupt the system. (You might hit someone driving out from the strip mall, or they may hit you). If that rule wasn't there, you would assume you had enough room to make a U, and possibly fall victim to the unexpected.

Perhaps, I should clarify, Rod. What I meant that as humans, we all collectively make the rules and regulations for ourselves, like your example above of being able to make or not make U turns. Individually, we are supposed to follow those rules, although folks will still make U turns regardless of signs.

Ok, I see your point. And yes, there's always rule breakers. My point is we're always going to have someone(s) make rules for us, whether we agree with them or not. Most people won't break the "No-U Turn" rule for fear of getting ticketed....the fine being quite high nowadays.
Even those at the very top of the decision making chain, whoever they are, the alleged all-seeing-eye either have to follow rules now, or they will when they are physically (and mentally) incapable of making certain decisions for themselves. There's no way around it for anyone. For the rest of your life you'll have decisions made for you.

There have been plenty of highly intelligent men (Galileo, George Washington Carver) who understood the principle of accountability to a higher system, even higher than man.

There's no accountability higher than man, its the only accountability that matters, that of to each other. When people start talking about accountability to anything higher, then the tend to lose sight of their accountability to each other.

There's many examples of where this isn't true. Most churches in America are low income, provide food and shelter in urban areas, with really not much to gain from it. I went to a church in an urban area who's pastor came from beautiful British Columbia, and wanted to stay there if weren't for a higher calling. This pastor wasn't mandated by any church to move to an American urban area. This pastor's church eventually grew, and this pastor could have moved to a nice suburb, but stayed in the same house by the church until this pastor passed away last year. There are a few high profile people who fit this description (Mother Theresa, Saint Francis Of Assisi, Cory Ten-Boom, etc.), but most you will never hear about as they are not popular news items.
and even in the tools humans create, we've seen that everything that's very complicated and very valuable, has a very long and detailed work manual.

so, if you're sure that your religion is the right one, but you're wondering why there are so many rules, you should realize that it's only because you're a very precious gem that needs to be shaped correctly, and those rules are there to guide you through the way.

It's the other way round, valued people have less rules and regulations to deal with as they are held in confidence to do the right thing.

While these are subjects worthy of threads for themselves. Society is out of control in a number of areas. Right now, as we speak, many literally believe that slaughtering infants is justifiable.

I haven't heard that one other than in Muslim societies where they kill their daughters.

I realized after I posted this that I probably should have stated what I meant. I was referring to abortion.

But I think the issue of abortion and euthanasia should be clarified in terms of religion (Christianity) as there seems to be a big misunderstanding. It's sort of assumed that promoters of pro-life follow some legalistic guide line where there are no exceptions to the rule. And this not true. The issue with abortion is the mass slaughtering of living unborn infants. Not claims of no exceptions (the mother's life being endangered, etc.). And with euthanasia, it's not about keeping someone alive who experience tremendous suffering, but taking the lives of, say, children with down-syndrome. There are people, who consider themselves humanitarians, that think euthanizing children with down-syndrome is doing them a favor.
Maybe 30 years from now our society will be viewed as brutal as we view the Aztecs and Nazis. Keep in mind, the Aztecs and Nazis never submitted to any notion of being brutal. They thought what they did was justified.

The German people over all were horrified when they actually found out what was really going on, but they didn't find out till after it was all over, then they saw the death camps. The Aztecs were simply practicing their religion.

Yes. And this is why a number of people turn away from pro-choice. Even atheists. The brutality involved with abortion, once they see it, turns people's stomach.
but, the principles of religion should be completely logical and humane.

Unfortunately, they aren't logical or humane by any stretch of the imagination.

so, make sure you're following the correct religion.

Or, don't follow any religions in case you're wrong.
In a way you're right. Religion also carries a negative connotation, specifically in Christianity. There's a difference between following religion, and following God.

Not really, they are the same thing, there isn't one Bible for God and another for Christianity.
What I meant was (for instance), Jesus, in scripture rebuked those who promoted a legalistic religious system. The scriptures weren't the problem. It was applying legalistic guidelines, that really had nothing to do with the teachings within scripture. Yes, God (who we Christians believe in) has provided us with a form of literature as a spiritual guideline. There's nothing wrong with laws placed in literary format If there was, we would have to get rid of our law books, and our constitution. (Unless we can all memorize them which isn't likely).