Total Posts:105|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

can atheists be critical thinkers???

imperialchimp
Posts: 249
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 7:31:17 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

can atheists be critical thinkers???
yes
Ape Lives Matter (ALM)

What if I were to tell you that humans have false logic? Prepare for confusion.

-.-- --- ..- / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / -. --- - / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

Don't waste your time trying to find truth...you pleb!
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 7:33:53 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

If bias is what disqualifies critical thinking how can you yourself be considered a critical thinker?
Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 9:54:34 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

A bit of a ridiculous assumption isn't it?
Just because what an atheist may say doesn't fit in with your pre-conceived view of life.

Since an atheist does not have a bias in the first place your insinuation is completely stuffed. If you care to look through many of the posts in this forum you will find that time and again, theists have become atheists through critical thinking, never the converse.
Dirty.Harry
Posts: 1,585
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 3:18:05 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 9:54:34 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

A bit of a ridiculous assumption isn't it?
Just because what an atheist may say doesn't fit in with your pre-conceived view of life.

Since an atheist does not have a bias in the first place your insinuation is completely stuffed. If you care to look through many of the posts in this forum you will find that time and again, theists have become atheists through critical thinking, never the converse.

To take the position of atheist one must indeed rely on bias. Every opinion about the nature of reality rests upon one or more axioms, things that are assumed, taken for granted.

Take the atheist's own definition of the term for example:

"...a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings."

(see https://www.atheists.org...)

This definition hinges on "belief" and "god" and "supernatural" that is the atheist assumes something about these terms else his statement has no meaning.

Atheists always like to use the phrase "lack of belief" but they never define "belief".
Willows
Posts: 2,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 4:11:20 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 3:18:05 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 10/8/2016 9:54:34 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

A bit of a ridiculous assumption isn't it?
Just because what an atheist may say doesn't fit in with your pre-conceived view of life.

Since an atheist does not have a bias in the first place your insinuation is completely stuffed. If you care to look through many of the posts in this forum you will find that time and again, theists have become atheists through critical thinking, never the converse.

To take the position of atheist one must indeed rely on bias. Every opinion about the nature of reality rests upon one or more axioms, things that are assumed, taken for granted.

Take the atheist's own definition of the term for example:

"...a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings."

(see https://www.atheists.org...)

This definition hinges on "belief" and "god" and "supernatural" that is the atheist assumes something about these terms else his statement has no meaning.

Atheists always like to use the phrase "lack of belief" but they never define "belief".

You are being evasive and beating around the bush as is the want of a theist who is in denial over the fact that he believes in total nonsence.
There is no bias from atheists. Pure and simple, atheists chose not to believe in something that is completely unfounded and without a shred of evidence.
To spell it out clearly for you, there is no such thing as God or any other supernatural being. That is not being biased but explaining a fact.
If you don't accept it, you are deluded, but then you wouldn't know that would you?
Dirty.Harry
Posts: 1,585
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 4:24:41 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 4:11:20 PM, Willows wrote:
At 10/8/2016 3:18:05 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 10/8/2016 9:54:34 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

A bit of a ridiculous assumption isn't it?
Just because what an atheist may say doesn't fit in with your pre-conceived view of life.

Since an atheist does not have a bias in the first place your insinuation is completely stuffed. If you care to look through many of the posts in this forum you will find that time and again, theists have become atheists through critical thinking, never the converse.

To take the position of atheist one must indeed rely on bias. Every opinion about the nature of reality rests upon one or more axioms, things that are assumed, taken for granted.

Take the atheist's own definition of the term for example:

"...a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings."

(see https://www.atheists.org...)

This definition hinges on "belief" and "god" and "supernatural" that is the atheist assumes something about these terms else his statement has no meaning.

Atheists always like to use the phrase "lack of belief" but they never define "belief".

You are being evasive and beating around the bush as is the want of a theist who is in denial over the fact that he believes in total nonsence.
There is no bias from atheists. Pure and simple, atheists chose not to believe in something that is completely unfounded and without a shred of evidence.
To spell it out clearly for you, there is no such thing as God or any other supernatural being. That is not being biased but explaining a fact.
If you don't accept it, you are deluded, but then you wouldn't know that would you?

Please review what you wrote Willows. You've just stated "without a shred of evidence" how do you know there's no evidence? granted you may be unaware of evidence but how does that prove there is none? surely that's a biased belief not itself based on evidence.

Then you move away from from weak atheism to strong and assert "there is no such thing as God", again this seems to be pure bias because you've not reached that conclusion through a sound argument only bias, belief that you've chosen to adopt.

Finally you conclude I'm deluded, but how can you prove you're not deluded?
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 4:51:14 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

The "bias" you refer is reality, nature and the physical laws of the universe.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,136
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:21:21 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

Well, your religious positions don't necessarily define your thought process....In the end, I don't think I've seen an Athiest or a Theist yet that can't help but trace there thought process on the validity of their religious beliefs, whatever the subject may be, to some sort of faith based belief, often an assortment of them.

There's always been a point in my experience, whether one does so subconsciously or not, essentially says **** it! I'm going with this one. The exception, being those who choose to remain open minded to the possibility that they don't have sufficient knowledge to take an absolute stance.

That being said, I'm curious as to the nature of your question....what do you define truly critical to be, and what is its relevance, to which subjects?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:29:45 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 3:18:05 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 10/8/2016 9:54:34 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

A bit of a ridiculous assumption isn't it?
Just because what an atheist may say doesn't fit in with your pre-conceived view of life.

Since an atheist does not have a bias in the first place your insinuation is completely stuffed. If you care to look through many of the posts in this forum you will find that time and again, theists have become atheists through critical thinking, never the converse.

To take the position of atheist one must indeed rely on bias. Every opinion about the nature of reality rests upon one or more axioms, things that are assumed, taken for granted.

Take the atheist's own definition of the term for example:

"...a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings."

(see https://www.atheists.org...)

This definition hinges on "belief" and "god" and "supernatural" that is the atheist assumes something about these terms else his statement has no meaning.

Atheists always like to use the phrase "lack of belief" but they never define "belief".

That is about as deep as a thimble cap if you assume that a theist is some one whom does believe in those things, which, unsurprisingly, is what a theist is. The definition hinges on he person ABOUT those objects, not the assumpt of those objects existing in the first place.

Belief would best (to me) be described as conviction to an idea or concept.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
rnjs
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:31:44 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
If atheists are not biased, that means they are sitting on the fence about the existence of God, which means they are not atheists.
Everyone is biased one way or the other. There are no fence sitters, some lean left and some lean right and some leanings may be barely perceptible but it's still there.
Dirty.Harry
Posts: 1,585
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:46:35 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 5:29:45 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 10/8/2016 3:18:05 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 10/8/2016 9:54:34 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

A bit of a ridiculous assumption isn't it?
Just because what an atheist may say doesn't fit in with your pre-conceived view of life.

Since an atheist does not have a bias in the first place your insinuation is completely stuffed. If you care to look through many of the posts in this forum you will find that time and again, theists have become atheists through critical thinking, never the converse.

To take the position of atheist one must indeed rely on bias. Every opinion about the nature of reality rests upon one or more axioms, things that are assumed, taken for granted.

Take the atheist's own definition of the term for example:

"...a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings."

(see https://www.atheists.org...)

This definition hinges on "belief" and "god" and "supernatural" that is the atheist assumes something about these terms else his statement has no meaning.

Atheists always like to use the phrase "lack of belief" but they never define "belief".

That is about as deep as a thimble cap if you assume that a theist is some one whom does believe in those things, which, unsurprisingly, is what a theist is. The definition hinges on he person ABOUT those objects, not the assumpt of those objects existing in the first place.

Belief would best (to me) be described as conviction to an idea or concept.

Well be fair, if the term "belief" lies at the core of what atheism is concerned with then we really should be prudent and make sure all parties agree on what constitutes a belief, that's what motivated my remarks anyway.

Everyone ultimately believes in something, the atheists sometimes seem to claim that their beliefs are somehow more rational, more robust that the beliefs of the theist, this attitude seems (to me) to pervade their arguments even if they never make it explicit.

My position is that whatever belief one has, even the most fundamental and apparently solid ones are at the end of the day based on choice - conviction as you say - they are adopted based on some perceived merit or other but they are always based on assumptions and one always has a choice in what assumptions one makes.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 6:03:56 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 7:33:53 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

If bias is what disqualifies critical thinking how can you yourself be considered a critical thinker?

I guess it does in the same way....
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 6:05:22 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 9:54:34 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

A bit of a ridiculous assumption isn't it?
Just because what an atheist may say doesn't fit in with your pre-conceived view of life.

Since an atheist does not have a bias in the first place your insinuation is completely stuffed. If you care to look through many of the posts in this forum you will find that time and again, theists have become atheists through critical thinking, never the converse.

of course an atheist has a biased, a biased against God, so if any answer could mean God did it, the atheist could not come to that conclusion...
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 6:06:23 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 3:18:05 PM, Dirty.Harry wrote:
At 10/8/2016 9:54:34 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

A bit of a ridiculous assumption isn't it?
Just because what an atheist may say doesn't fit in with your pre-conceived view of life.

Since an atheist does not have a bias in the first place your insinuation is completely stuffed. If you care to look through many of the posts in this forum you will find that time and again, theists have become atheists through critical thinking, never the converse.

To take the position of atheist one must indeed rely on bias. Every opinion about the nature of reality rests upon one or more axioms, things that are assumed, taken for granted.

Take the atheist's own definition of the term for example:

"...a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings."

(see https://www.atheists.org...)

This definition hinges on "belief" and "god" and "supernatural" that is the atheist assumes something about these terms else his statement has no meaning.

Atheists always like to use the phrase "lack of belief" but they never define "belief".

great post and one of my all time fav movies...
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 6:07:53 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 4:51:14 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

The "bias" you refer is reality, nature and the physical laws of the universe.

no the bias is, that if a conclusion was God did it, they could not come to that conclusion...
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 6:10:26 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 6:03:56 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:33:53 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

If bias is what disqualifies critical thinking how can you yourself be considered a critical thinker?

I guess it does in the same way....

Ah, so when it comes to critical thinking you're no better than the atheists you criticize. Take this lesson of humility and apply it to your life, especially here on DDO.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 6:14:23 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 6:10:26 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:03:56 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:33:53 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

If bias is what disqualifies critical thinking how can you yourself be considered a critical thinker?

I guess it does in the same way....

Ah, so when it comes to critical thinking you're no better than the atheists you criticize. Take this lesson of humility and apply it to your life, especially here on DDO.

ha ha ha will the atheists do the same, I doubt it...

you can defend your faith, it does not mean you are not thinking critically, especially in here, the arguments of the atheist are hardly taxing...
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 6:17:10 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 6:07:53 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 4:51:14 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

The "bias" you refer is reality, nature and the physical laws of the universe.

no the bias is, that if a conclusion was God did it, they could not come to that conclusion...

Speak English, please.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 6:18:05 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 6:17:10 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:07:53 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 4:51:14 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

The "bias" you refer is reality, nature and the physical laws of the universe.

no the bias is, that if a conclusion was God did it, they could not come to that conclusion...

Speak English, please.

if you get your head out your fellas crotch you would be able to read...lol
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 6:28:01 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 6:14:23 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:10:26 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:03:56 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:33:53 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

If bias is what disqualifies critical thinking how can you yourself be considered a critical thinker?

I guess it does in the same way....

Ah, so when it comes to critical thinking you're no better than the atheists you criticize. Take this lesson of humility and apply it to your life, especially here on DDO.

ha ha ha will the atheists do the same, I doubt it...

There are a handful of atheists on DDO that are fairly humble in their responses to theists. Not me of course, I prefer sarcasm.

you can defend your faith, it does not mean you are not thinking critically, especially in here, the arguments of the atheist are hardly taxing...

Oh yes, and the arguments for the Christian God are soooo compelling.

When it comes to the supernatural I don't have a faith. Just as you don't have a faith in the Muslim or Hindu God, as the Jews don't have faith in Christ - I don't have faith in your God or any other. I've been presented with the arguments for specific God's and found them lacking; along with simpler, more plausible explanations to supplement their failings in explaining the natural world I've yet to find a reason to believe in the supernatural.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 6:32:44 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 6:28:01 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:14:23 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:10:26 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:03:56 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:33:53 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

If bias is what disqualifies critical thinking how can you yourself be considered a critical thinker?

I guess it does in the same way....

Ah, so when it comes to critical thinking you're no better than the atheists you criticize. Take this lesson of humility and apply it to your life, especially here on DDO.

ha ha ha will the atheists do the same, I doubt it...

There are a handful of atheists on DDO that are fairly humble in their responses to theists. Not me of course, I prefer sarcasm.

you can defend your faith, it does not mean you are not thinking critically, especially in here, the arguments of the atheist are hardly taxing...

Oh yes, and the arguments for the Christian God are soooo compelling.

When it comes to the supernatural I don't have a faith. Just as you don't have a faith in the Muslim or Hindu God, as the Jews don't have faith in Christ - I don't have faith in your God or any other. I've been presented with the arguments for specific God's and found them lacking; along with simpler, more plausible explanations to supplement their failings in explaining the natural world I've yet to find a reason to believe in the supernatural.

yeah they are but I prefer to debate with believers on what the word might mean but that doesn't happen on here because of the gays and the atheists..

you cannot get past your bias, what ever it is, you cannot critically approach the debate on God existing.....

yet evolution is lacking, the big bang is hugely lacking and you seem to prefer to put your trust in man's best guess at the time... weird how "critical thinking" works...
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 6:51:48 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 6:32:44 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:28:01 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:14:23 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:10:26 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:03:56 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:33:53 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

If bias is what disqualifies critical thinking how can you yourself be considered a critical thinker?

I guess it does in the same way....

Ah, so when it comes to critical thinking you're no better than the atheists you criticize. Take this lesson of humility and apply it to your life, especially here on DDO.

ha ha ha will the atheists do the same, I doubt it...

There are a handful of atheists on DDO that are fairly humble in their responses to theists. Not me of course, I prefer sarcasm.

you can defend your faith, it does not mean you are not thinking critically, especially in here, the arguments of the atheist are hardly taxing...

Oh yes, and the arguments for the Christian God are soooo compelling.

When it comes to the supernatural I don't have a faith. Just as you don't have a faith in the Muslim or Hindu God, as the Jews don't have faith in Christ - I don't have faith in your God or any other. I've been presented with the arguments for specific God's and found them lacking; along with simpler, more plausible explanations to supplement their failings in explaining the natural world I've yet to find a reason to believe in the supernatural.

yeah they are but I prefer to debate with believers on what the word might mean but that doesn't happen on here because of the gays and the atheists..

There are plenty of theists on DDO. This is a debate website, you could start a formal debate that way you couldn't be interrupted, or have a private message conversation. Blaming gays and atheists is a poor excuse and reveals your bias.

you cannot get past your bias, what ever it is, you cannot critically approach the debate on God existing.....

And the same to you about the opposite possibility. Even if there was a God you would be incapable of approaching the idea that God isn't of the Christian variety.

It's possible the Deist God exists, a 'hands off' God wouldn't conflict with my world view. I even have a few hypothesis as to what the purpose of humanity would be in such a scenario.

yet evolution is lacking, the big bang is hugely lacking and you seem to prefer to put your trust in man's best guess at the time... weird how "critical thinking" works...

I don't know how you feel about Catholicism but the Church accepts both evolution and the Big Bang [http://www.catholicherald.co.uk...]. But your ignorance of the potential compatibility of science and religion doesn't phase me, it's quite common among theist 'critical thinkers' like yourself.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 6:55:34 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 6:32:44 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:28:01 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:14:23 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:10:26 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:03:56 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:33:53 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

If bias is what disqualifies critical thinking how can you yourself be considered a critical thinker?

I guess it does in the same way....

Ah, so when it comes to critical thinking you're no better than the atheists you criticize. Take this lesson of humility and apply it to your life, especially here on DDO.

ha ha ha will the atheists do the same, I doubt it...

There are a handful of atheists on DDO that are fairly humble in their responses to theists. Not me of course, I prefer sarcasm.

you can defend your faith, it does not mean you are not thinking critically, especially in here, the arguments of the atheist are hardly taxing...

Oh yes, and the arguments for the Christian God are soooo compelling.

When it comes to the supernatural I don't have a faith. Just as you don't have a faith in the Muslim or Hindu God, as the Jews don't have faith in Christ - I don't have faith in your God or any other. I've been presented with the arguments for specific God's and found them lacking; along with simpler, more plausible explanations to supplement their failings in explaining the natural world I've yet to find a reason to believe in the supernatural.

yeah they are but I prefer to debate with believers on what the word might mean but that doesn't happen on here because of the gays and the atheists..

you cannot get past your bias, what ever it is, you cannot critically approach the debate on God existing.....

yet evolution is lacking, the big bang is hugely lacking and you seem to prefer to put your trust in man's best guess at the time... weird how "critical thinking" works...

Notice Bennet91, how you provide a reasonable, rational explanation to Gog and he responds with strawmen, and says you're biased simply because he refuses to apply his own criticisms to his own beliefs. Well done, sir.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 7:11:35 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 6:55:34 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Notice Bennet91, how you provide a reasonable, rational explanation to Gog and he responds with strawmen, and says you're biased simply because he refuses to apply his own criticisms to his own beliefs. Well done, sir.

Lol thanks.
Stymie13
Posts: 2,162
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 7:22:08 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Anyone can be a critical thinker... and anyone can be a dumbazz. The more one assumes, and asserts, how 'right' they are without listening to another, the more likely they are to be the latter.
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 7:42:55 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 6:51:48 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:32:44 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:28:01 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:14:23 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:10:26 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:03:56 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:33:53 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

If bias is what disqualifies critical thinking how can you yourself be considered a critical thinker?

I guess it does in the same way....

Ah, so when it comes to critical thinking you're no better than the atheists you criticize. Take this lesson of humility and apply it to your life, especially here on DDO.

ha ha ha will the atheists do the same, I doubt it...

There are a handful of atheists on DDO that are fairly humble in their responses to theists. Not me of course, I prefer sarcasm.

you can defend your faith, it does not mean you are not thinking critically, especially in here, the arguments of the atheist are hardly taxing...

Oh yes, and the arguments for the Christian God are soooo compelling.

When it comes to the supernatural I don't have a faith. Just as you don't have a faith in the Muslim or Hindu God, as the Jews don't have faith in Christ - I don't have faith in your God or any other. I've been presented with the arguments for specific God's and found them lacking; along with simpler, more plausible explanations to supplement their failings in explaining the natural world I've yet to find a reason to believe in the supernatural.

yeah they are but I prefer to debate with believers on what the word might mean but that doesn't happen on here because of the gays and the atheists..

There are plenty of theists on DDO. This is a debate website, you could start a formal debate that way you couldn't be interrupted, or have a private message conversation. Blaming gays and atheists is a poor excuse and reveals your bias.

you cannot get past your bias, what ever it is, you cannot critically approach the debate on God existing.....

And the same to you about the opposite possibility. Even if there was a God you would be incapable of approaching the idea that God isn't of the Christian variety.

It's possible the Deist God exists, a 'hands off' God wouldn't conflict with my world view. I even have a few hypothesis as to what the purpose of humanity would be in such a scenario.

yet evolution is lacking, the big bang is hugely lacking and you seem to prefer to put your trust in man's best guess at the time... weird how "critical thinking" works...

I don't know how you feel about Catholicism but the Church accepts both evolution and the Big Bang [http://www.catholicherald.co.uk...]. But your ignorance of the potential compatibility of science and religion doesn't phase me, it's quite common among theist 'critical thinkers' like yourself.

The catholic church accepts a lot including child molestation... so no i don't hold them in high regard, in the same way the church of England are allowing all sorts of things contrary to the word of God...
graceofgod
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 7:45:06 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 6:55:34 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:32:44 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:28:01 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:14:23 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:10:26 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 6:03:56 PM, graceofgod wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:33:53 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 7:10:07 AM, graceofgod wrote:
If their bias disallows a possible answer how can they truly be critical...

If bias is what disqualifies critical thinking how can you yourself be considered a critical thinker?

I guess it does in the same way....

Ah, so when it comes to critical thinking you're no better than the atheists you criticize. Take this lesson of humility and apply it to your life, especially here on DDO.

ha ha ha will the atheists do the same, I doubt it...

There are a handful of atheists on DDO that are fairly humble in their responses to theists. Not me of course, I prefer sarcasm.

you can defend your faith, it does not mean you are not thinking critically, especially in here, the arguments of the atheist are hardly taxing...

Oh yes, and the arguments for the Christian God are soooo compelling.

When it comes to the supernatural I don't have a faith. Just as you don't have a faith in the Muslim or Hindu God, as the Jews don't have faith in Christ - I don't have faith in your God or any other. I've been presented with the arguments for specific God's and found them lacking; along with simpler, more plausible explanations to supplement their failings in explaining the natural world I've yet to find a reason to believe in the supernatural.

yeah they are but I prefer to debate with believers on what the word might mean but that doesn't happen on here because of the gays and the atheists..

you cannot get past your bias, what ever it is, you cannot critically approach the debate on God existing.....

yet evolution is lacking, the big bang is hugely lacking and you seem to prefer to put your trust in man's best guess at the time... weird how "critical thinking" works...

Notice Bennet91, how you provide a reasonable, rational explanation to Gog and he responds with strawmen, and says you're biased simply because he refuses to apply his own criticisms to his own beliefs. Well done, sir.

I never use strawmen, i can't even watch the wizard of oz...

that is why i say atheists cannot look critically at debate on God because of their bias and gays are especially poor at critical thinking...
Bennett91
Posts: 4,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 8:13:23 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/8/2016 7:42:55 PM, graceofgod wrote:

The catholic church accepts a lot including child molestation... so no i don't hold them in high regard, in the same way the church of England are allowing all sorts of things contrary to the word of God...

You'll find child molesters in every parish, usually heading the sermon. Ain't religion great?

I never use strawmen, i can't even watch the wizard of oz...

So even though it's clear you've ignored everything I've said - and you assume I or other atheists have not come to their conclusions through critical thought - you think you don't straw man?

And why can't you watch the Wizard of Oz? Afraid it'll turn you gay?

that is why i say atheists cannot look critically at debate on God because of their bias and gays are especially poor at critical thinking...

If you think atheists haven't engaged in debate then you clearly aren't looking a the debate section of this site. But you're a hypocrite anyways, as you have not engaged in debate either. And again, continually bashing gays for anything really shows how biased you truly are and how little critical thinking you're capable of.