Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Hope Truth And Love

Willows
Posts: 2,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 6:45:57 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
I saw this on a sign outside a Christian church today which got me wondering.

Is this false advertising?

Any hope that is promised is usually that God or Jesus will save you and that you will go to heaven. Given that God, Jesus and Heaven are unproven, is this not a false hope?

The big T word is used by so many Christian denominations now as if they have some copyright on the word. The irony is that most of what is preached in churches is outright lies.

As if a Christian church knows anything about love when preaches to its hapless followers to hate minority groups and any other religion.

In order to be politically correct, should the sign read "False Hope, Lies, and Hate"?
Bennett91
Posts: 4,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 7:20:33 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/10/2016 6:45:57 AM, Willows wrote:
I saw this on a sign outside a Christian church today which got me wondering.

Is this false advertising?

Any hope that is promised is usually that God or Jesus will save you and that you will go to heaven. Given that God, Jesus and Heaven are unproven, is this not a false hope?

The big T word is used by so many Christian denominations now as if they have some copyright on the word. The irony is that most of what is preached in churches is outright lies.

As if a Christian church knows anything about love when preaches to its hapless followers to hate minority groups and any other religion.

In order to be politically correct, should the sign read "False Hope, Lies, and Hate"?

C'mon Willows let's ask more pertinent questions framed in a way theists can actually respond. They're obviously not going to agree to the premise their theological path is false if they believe they've benefited from it.
Willows
Posts: 2,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 8:46:01 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/10/2016 7:20:33 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/10/2016 6:45:57 AM, Willows wrote:
I saw this on a sign outside a Christian church today which got me wondering.

Is this false advertising?

Any hope that is promised is usually that God or Jesus will save you and that you will go to heaven. Given that God, Jesus and Heaven are unproven, is this not a false hope?

The big T word is used by so many Christian denominations now as if they have some copyright on the word. The irony is that most of what is preached in churches is outright lies.

As if a Christian church knows anything about love when preaches to its hapless followers to hate minority groups and any other religion.

In order to be politically correct, should the sign read "False Hope, Lies, and Hate"?

C'mon Willows let's ask more pertinent questions framed in a way theists can actually respond. They're obviously not going to agree to the premise their theological path is false if they believe they've benefited from it.

I wouldn't expect them to agree but I do think they are pertinent questions given that, in this day and age there is no valid excuse to hold onto a belief based on a false premise and to actively take advantage of the weak and vulnerable who would look at that sign.

I have seen so many elderly people, who in their dying days are absolutely scared out of their minds, not so much about death but whether they will make it to the holy land. All because such a ridiculous false hope was instilled in them.
These God mongers need to be held accountable and whether they accept it or not, need to be told.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 9:15:13 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/10/2016 8:46:01 AM, Willows wrote:
At 10/10/2016 7:20:33 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/10/2016 6:45:57 AM, Willows wrote:
I saw this on a sign outside a Christian church today which got me wondering.

Is this false advertising?

Any hope that is promised is usually that God or Jesus will save you and that you will go to heaven. Given that God, Jesus and Heaven are unproven, is this not a false hope?

The big T word is used by so many Christian denominations now as if they have some copyright on the word. The irony is that most of what is preached in churches is outright lies.

As if a Christian church knows anything about love when preaches to its hapless followers to hate minority groups and any other religion.

In order to be politically correct, should the sign read "False Hope, Lies, and Hate"?

C'mon Willows let's ask more pertinent questions framed in a way theists can actually respond. They're obviously not going to agree to the premise their theological path is false if they believe they've benefited from it.

I wouldn't expect them to agree but I do think they are pertinent questions given that, in this day and age there is no valid excuse to hold onto a belief based on a false premise and to actively take advantage of the weak and vulnerable who would look at that sign.

Not all believers engage in a practice that take advantage of the weak and vulnerable. Sure many do in malicious ways knowingly or unknowingly, but you can't deny the philanthropic efforts of some theists and how the belief in God plays a part in that. And in order to claim their general premise is false you'd have to actively prove their God false. And given the infinite nature of God that would seem impossible to do in a way that convinces them - if they aren't convinced they can't feel accountable.

I have seen so many elderly people, who in their dying days are absolutely scared out of their minds, not so much about death but whether they will make it to the holy land. All because such a ridiculous false hope was instilled in them.

That is truly sad. Do you mind giving more detail? Perhaps why they feared they weren't good enough despite the narrative that God forgives all who accept Him? Were there any elderly who were at peace 'knowing' they had been saved?

These God mongers need to be held accountable and whether they accept it or not, need to be told.

You can tell them your point of view all you want but accountability is a whole other topic when theists don't feel they're personally responsible for the greater damages of religion.
Willows
Posts: 2,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 10:20:10 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 10/10/2016 9:15:13 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 10/10/2016 8:46:01 AM, Willows wrote:

I wouldn't expect them to agree but I do think they are pertinent questions given that, in this day and age there is no valid excuse to hold onto a belief based on a false premise and to actively take advantage of the weak and vulnerable who would look at that sign.

Not all believers engage in a practice that take advantage of the weak and vulnerable.
You are watering down the fact. All Christian churches actively engage their congregations to "help" those who are in grief, have personal issues etc.
Sure many do in malicious ways knowingly or unknowingly, but you can't deny the philanthropic efforts of some theists and how the belief in God plays a part in that.

Philanthropy is not the sole domain of religion, there are many social groups who do this without being based on a false premise. What little good churches purport to do is more than offset by their disgusting hatred targeting minority groups and other faiths.

And in order to claim their general premise is false you'd have to actively prove their God false. And given the infinite nature of God that would seem impossible to do in a way that convinces them - if they aren't convinced they can't feel accountable.

I wasn't born yesterday, so there is no need to reverse a totally valid point and make out that somehow I need to prove non-existence. The fact is that Christianity is promoting a belief that has absolutely no proof or evidence. Trying to promote the infinite, invisible, different world idea (again without proof) is totally deceptive. Christianity has no scruples whatsoever when it comes to palming off its gullible congregations with outright lies.

I have seen so many elderly people, who in their dying days are absolutely scared out of their minds, not so much about death but whether they will make it to the holy land. All because such a ridiculous false hope was instilled in them.

That is truly sad. Do you mind giving more detail? Perhaps why they feared they weren't good enough despite the narrative that God forgives all who accept Him? Were there any elderly who were at peace 'knowing' they had been saved?

I have done a lot of charity work in a war veterans home and talked to many of the residents and it is a recurring theme with, I would say, more than half , that they are sacred of the "afterlife", not death itself. These are people who are regarded themselves as Christians, who when the time came had bad doubts. Without being biased I don't recall one who was satisfied with being saved.

These God mongers need to be held accountable and whether they accept it or not, need to be told.

You can tell them your point of view all you want but accountability is a whole other topic when theists don't feel they're personally responsible for the greater damages of religion.

I think those who preach should be held accountable for knowingly instilling false hopes and ideas into the heads of others. If a grown adult decides to believe that is up to him or her but to have organisations actively promoting a false doctrine using fear and guilt, no.