Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Is a plastic Jesus on the dashboard a sin?

Face-of-the-deep
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 1:48:21 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
Jesus the Messiah made into an idol and displayed on our car dashboard is somewhat like making an idol of the USPS carrier that brings you the message that you won $10Million in a contest.
The Messiah brought the message that we have eternal life and the Jews thought he spoke blaspheme and wanted him to be killed. Jesus could have saved himself but instead he wouldn't deny the fact of the Gospel (the good news). If I tell you that we will live forever on planet earth, you would say that's too good to be true. If Jesus says it, they would nail him to a tree.
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 1:58:10 AM
At 10/11/2016 1:48:21 AM, Face-of-the-deep wrote:
Jesus the Messiah made into an idol and displayed on our car dashboard is somewhat like making an idol of the USPS carrier that brings you the message that you won $10Million in a contest.
The Messiah brought the message that we have eternal life and the Jews thought he spoke blaspheme and wanted him to be killed. Jesus could have saved himself but instead he wouldn't deny the fact of the Gospel (the good news). If I tell you that we will live forever on planet earth, you would say that's too good to be true. If Jesus says it, they would nail him to a tree.

He was more than a messenger, He is the savior, so there's nothing wrong with exhulting Him.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
Face-of-the-deep
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 3:03:23 AM
At 10/11/2016 1:58:10 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:

He was more than a messenger, He is the savior, so there's nothing wrong with exhulting Him.

Yes, He brought us The Gospel and The Gospel saves us.
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 8:53:47 AM
At 10/11/2016 3:03:23 AM, Face-of-the-deep wrote:
The Messiah brought the message that we have eternal life and the Jews thought he spoke blaspheme and wanted him to be killed. Jesus could have saved himself but instead he wouldn't deny the fact of the Gospel (the good news). If I tell you that we will live for2ever on planet earth, you would say that's too good to be true. If Jesus says it, they would nail him to a tree.

He saves us.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 12:33:24 PM

There is no evidence Jesus was any sort of messiah or god. Even the Biblical accounts show him to be a flawed human like the rest of us.
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 12:41:03 PM
At 10/11/2016 12:33:24 PM, tarantula wrote:

There is no evidence Jesus was any sort of messiah or god. Even the Biblical accounts show him to be a flawed human like the rest of us.

This is rather irrelevant to the topic so why sprout it here?
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 12:45:18 PM
At 10/11/2016 12:41:03 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:

I think the word you are looking for is spout, not sprout! The thread is about Jesus being the messiah and therefore a plastic model of the guy is some sort of idol and a blasphemy, keep up!
Silly_Billy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 1:08:01 PM
At 10/11/2016 12:45:18 PM, tarantula wrote:
At 10/11/2016 12:41:03 PM, Silly_Billy wrote:

I think the word you are looking for is spout, not sprout! The thread is about Jesus being the messiah and therefore a plastic model of the guy is some sort of idol and a blasphemy, keep up!

Activating my nitpicking mode now!

The thread is not at all about whether Jesus is the Messiah, it is about whether or not displaying a plastic model of Jesus is a sin. The idea that Jesus is the Messiah is of course implied in the topic but just because it is implied does not make it the subject but rather makes it a factor in replying to the subject. In other words, to challenge the assumption that Jesus is the Messiah should have been done with the purpose of proofing that displaying a plastic model of Jesus is therefore not a sin which you failed to do. Ergo, your response in this threat became irrelevant as you failed to make it relevant by binding it to the subject by failing to write "that displaying a plastic model of Jesus is therefore not a sin".
Face-of-the-deep
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 3:10:05 AM

I agree that Jesus was a man, not a God, but he was a messiah. He certainly helped deliver the Gospel message to me, anyway. Only a select few people really know what the message is. Most who hear (you have eternal life) which has no double meaning, it says one thing and only one. I usually follow up with, those who understand the meaning know what overflowing tears of joy is.
I don't have a plastic Jesus but I might carve the Gospel message in stone and display it. The Kingdom of Heaven is within your midst. That means, it's all around us but we don't see it.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 12:33:01 PM
At 10/12/2016 3:10:05 AM, Face-of-the-deep wrote:

I agree that Jesus was a man, not a God, but he was a messiah. He certainly helped deliver the Gospel message to me, anyway. Only a select few people really know what the message is. Most who hear (you have eternal life) which has no double meaning, it says one thing and only one. I usually follow up with, those who understand the meaning know what overflowing tears of joy is.
I don't have a plastic Jesus but I might carve the Gospel message in stone and display it. The Kingdom of Heaven is within your midst. That means, it's all around us but we don't see it.

Assertions without verifiable evidence to support them.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 2:58:15 PM

I agree that Jesus was a man, not a God, but he was a messiah. He certainly helped deliver the Gospel message to me, anyway.

Did Jesus deliver it to you personally? Or, did it come via canonized doctrine written by other people?

Only a select few people really know what the message is.

Then, it is a useless message for all mankind.

Most who hear (you have eternal life) which has no double meaning, it says one thing and only one. I usually follow up with, those who understand the meaning know what overflowing tears of joy is.

Then, it is indistinguishable from the non-existent, yes?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
VirBinarus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 9:44:35 PM

I agree that Jesus was a man, not a God, but he was a messiah. He certainly helped deliver the Gospel message to me, anyway.

Firstly, Messiah doesn't mean messenger. The word literally means "the anointed one", referring to the custom of anointing kings with oil, meaning that when we call Jesus the messiah, we're saying that he is the king of God's kingdom.

Only a select few people really know what the message is. Most who hear (you have eternal life) which have no double meaning, it says one thing and only one. I usually follow up with, those who understand the meaning know what overflowing tears of joy are.

What would be really nice, is if you, when saying that only a few people really know what the message is, you explain what the message is. Just so we know what you're talking about.

Yep, no disagreements here.
"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
1 thessalonians, 5:11
Face-of-the-deep
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:37:44 PM
At 10/12/2016 2:58:15 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Did Jesus deliver it to you personally? Or, did it come via canonized doctrine written by other people?

As I stated, helped or assisted.

Yes, for most of mankind. Partially useless, is more accurate.

Most who hear (you have eternal life) which has no double meaning, it says one thing and only one. I usually follow up with, those who understand the meaning know what overflowing tears of joy is.

Unseen but by spiritual. That is, Invisible to the mortal mind.
Face-of-the-deep
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:40:45 PM
At 10/12/2016 12:33:01 PM, tarantula wrote:

Assertions without verifiable evidence to support them.

You are correct in your assessment.
Face-of-the-deep
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 1:36:30 AM
At 10/12/2016 9:44:35 PM, VirBinarus wrote:

Firstly, Messiah doesn't mean messenger. The word literally means "the anointed one", referring to the custom of anointing kings with oil, meaning that when we call Jesus the messiah, we're saying that he is the king of God's kingdom.

Only a select few people really know what the message is. Most who hear (you have eternal life) which have no double meaning, it says one thing and only one. I usually follow up with, those who understand the meaning know what overflowing tears of joy are.

What would be really nice, is if you, when saying that only a few people really know what the message is, you explain what the message is. Just so we know what you're talking about.

So, which part of "You have eternal life" don't you understand?

Yep, no disagreements here.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 4:05:11 AM
At 10/11/2016 3:03:23 AM, Face-of-the-deep wrote:

Gospel has nothing to do with Jesus. Jesus had never read it nor rechecked it. Gospel was written by men far after Jesus passed away. Those writers claimed theirs were inspired by the God.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 3:38:13 PM
At 10/13/2016 10:37:44 PM, Face-of-the-deep wrote:
At 10/12/2016 2:58:15 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

As I stated, helped or assisted.

Ah, so you actually saw Jesus helping/assisting? Or, are you just guessing or maybe you just really want to believe it was Jesus?

Yes, for most of mankind. Partially useless, is more accurate.

Mostly useless, to be accurate.

Unseen but by spiritual. That is, Invisible to the mortal mind.

Then, you nor anyone else, who has a mortal mind, could possibly know anything about it if its invisible. How would you know if it's unseen?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth