Jump to topic:

Atheists are hypocrites

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 6:42:40 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Always claiming there is no evidence for God, yet don't even know what that evidence is.

Hypocrites.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 6:52:07 PM
At 10/11/2016 6:42:40 PM, janesix wrote:
Always claiming there is no evidence for God, yet don't even know what that evidence is.

Hypocrites.

... as opposed to theists claiming -everything- is evidence for God, despite the fact that such 'evidence' is really just an argument from incredulity?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 6:54:51 PM
At 10/11/2016 6:52:07 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Hypocrites.

... as opposed to theists claiming -everything- is evidence for God, despite the fact that such 'evidence' is really just an argument from incredulity?

The fact that you don't accept obvious evidence only proves you are a fool. Stop embarrassing yourself.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:01:44 PM

Hypocrites.

Are you being sarcastic here, Jane?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:02:27 PM
At 10/11/2016 7:01:44 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Hypocrites.

Are you being sarcastic here, Jane?

No.
Face-of-the-deep
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:03:27 PM

Hypocrites.

You should read your own sentence. If there is no evidence, how can anyone know what characteristics the (nonexistent) evidence has? If someone were to present evidence, it would need to stand up to basic rules of Knowledge. (Extraordinary claims always demands extraordinary evidence.)
You need to define what you think that this (God item) is first.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:03:28 PM

Hypocrites.

Is this a blanket statement, Jane?

From all I've seen thus far, theists who have submitted so-called evidence for god don't seem to know what evidence for god is, either, or have differing notions of evidence (e.g. anecdotal evidence is valid). I have searched and still haven't seen any valid evidence for the corresponding claims of "god".
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:04:35 PM
At 10/11/2016 7:03:28 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Hypocrites.

From all I've seen thus far, theists who have submitted so-called evidence for god don't seem to know what evidence for god is, either, or have differing notions of evidence (e.g. anecdotal evidence is valid). I have searched and still haven't seen any valid evidence for the corresponding claims of "god".

And what would be valid evidence for you?
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:07:12 PM
At 10/11/2016 7:04:35 PM, janesix wrote:

Hypocrites.

I did answer in your other thread; it depends on the notion of God. Personally, I have no notion of god. I respond to what other people claim is "god". Give me a definition or concept (e.g. an omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent being) and I'll have a shot an answering your question.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:09:32 PM
At 10/11/2016 7:07:12 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Hypocrites.

I did answer in your other thread; it depends on the notion of God. Personally, I have no notion of god. I respond to what other people claim is "god". Give me a definition or concept (e.g. an omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent being) and I'll have a shot an answering your question.

The intelligent designer of the universe.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:12:57 PM
At 10/11/2016 7:09:32 PM, janesix wrote:

Hypocrites.

With just this, I got nothing. We have only the universe to examine, and nothing else, so how could we find evidence of something outside of it unless it at least interacts with us or our world?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:16:24 PM

Hypocrites.

That may be true, Jane, and probably is since atheists are only human.

However, everyone has different ideas of what "god" means, and the definitions that give us a reasonable expectation of evidence have no evidence to support them or are flatly proven false by it.

On the other hand, more vague definitions of god give us no reasonable expectation of evidence. Thus "evidence" is incoherent to these concepts.

To make matters worse, I think believers and non believers are often unintentionally speaking of different concepts.

I hope that is helpful, Jane.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:16:35 PM
At 10/11/2016 7:12:57 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Hypocrites.

With just this, I got nothing. We have only the universe to examine, and nothing else, so how could we find evidence of something outside of it unless it at least interacts with us or our world?

The universe is obviously designed. That's why atheists invented the multiverse theory, to explain away the design. And the design of the solar system is explained away by "coincidence", although when you add up the dozens of coincidences, it's obvious there is something else going on.
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:17:57 PM

Hypocrites.

I've got a hurbalurb on my table. It's magical and can cure all disease. Do you believe me?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:19:18 PM
At 10/11/2016 7:17:57 PM, Graincruncher wrote:

Hypocrites.

I've got a hurbalurb on my table. It's magical and can cure all disease. Do you believe me?

Do you have evidence?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:22:19 PM

Hypocrites.

God, of course. If I asked you what evidence you need for a Leprechaun, you're not going to say a pot of gold and a rainbow, you're going to want to see a Leprechaun, yes?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:23:25 PM
At 10/11/2016 7:16:35 PM, janesix wrote:

Hypocrites.

The universe is obviously designed. That's why atheists invented the multiverse theory, to explain away the design. And the design of the solar system is explained away by "coincidence", although when you add up the dozens of coincidences, it's obvious there is something else going on.

This is very hasty, intuitive reasoning, Jane. Rejection of a designed universe is the result of skepticism, and it's not a declaration that universe is certainly not designed.

What would an undesigned universe look like? The only known design we have to compare to is human design. How do you determine that a rock is the product of design?

Why are coincidence necessarily indicative of design? How have you determined that coincidences would not occur like we see in an undesigned universe?

Looking at this scientifically, consider the hypothesis: "The universe is the product of intelligent design". Now, how could we conceivably falsify this hypothesis?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:24:36 PM
At 10/11/2016 7:22:19 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Hypocrites.

God, of course. If I asked you what evidence you need for a Leprechaun, you're not going to say a pot of gold and a rainbow, you're going to want to see a Leprechaun, yes?

That's fine. If that is the only evidence you would except.

I will take you off my list of atheist hypocrites.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:28:46 PM
At 10/11/2016 7:24:36 PM, janesix wrote:
At 10/11/2016 7:22:19 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Hypocrites.

That's fine. If that is the only evidence you would except.

That IS the only evidence, there is no other evidence for God but God himself.

I will take you off my list of atheist hypocrites.

Thank you. (:
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:35:47 PM
At 10/11/2016 7:23:25 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Hypocrites.

This is very hasty, intuitive reasoning, Jane. Rejection of a designed universe is the result of skepticism, and it's not a declaration that universe is certainly not designed.

What would an undesigned universe look like? The only known design we have to compare to is human design. How do you determine that a rock is the product of design?

The universe is finely-tune for life as we know it. If the universe wasn't designed, we would have different physical laws and constants.

Why are coincidence necessarily indicative of design? How have you determined that coincidences would not occur like we see in an undesigned universe?

I'm sure they could, just not dozens of them at the same time, all focused on the Earth, sun and moon.

Looking at this scientifically, consider the hypothesis: "The universe is the product of intelligent design". Now, how could we conceivably falsify this hypothesis?

I don't know.
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:43:33 PM
At 10/11/2016 7:19:18 PM, janesix wrote:
At 10/11/2016 7:17:57 PM, Graincruncher wrote:

Hypocrites.

Do you have evidence?

Oh yes. Loads.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:43:50 PM
At 10/11/2016 7:35:47 PM, janesix wrote:

Hypocrites.

The universe is finely-tune for life as we know it.

I'd say that life is fine-tuned for Earth. This is evident in the nature of biological adaption. The vast, vast, vast majority of the universe (and most of Earth, even) is overtly hostile to life.

If the universe wasn't designed, we would have different physical laws and constants.

How do you know that?

I'm sure they could, just not dozens of them at the same time, all focused on the Earth, sun and moon.

How do you know that? Are you not just envisioning a universe in your mind that's more chaotic?

I don't know.

Me neither, which is why I've refrained from believing it. It's unfalsifiable.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 7:50:02 PM
At 10/11/2016 7:43:50 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Hypocrites.

I'd say that life is fine-tuned for Earth. This is evident in the nature of biological adaption. The vast, vast, vast majority of the universe (and most of Earth, even) is overtly hostile to life.

And yet we're still here, and thriving.

If the universe wasn't designed, we would have different physical laws and constants.

How do you know that?

Because this universe is designed. An undersigned universe would look different. Even most scientists. Think the universe looks finely tuned. Thus the multiverse theory.

How do you know that? Are you not just envisioning a universe in your mind that's more chaotic?

Of course coincidences can't prove design. But so many are unlikely in a non designed solar system. I could list them, and you would just say "coincidence". So there is no convincing you, so I won't bother.

I don't know.

Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 8:04:14 PM
At 10/11/2016 7:50:02 PM, janesix wrote:
At 10/11/2016 7:43:50 PM, Chaosism wrote:

And yet we're still here, and thriving.

Well, we're still confined to this tiny, tiny speck of the universe that permits us to survive and, yet, ~99.9% percent of all species that have existed on Earth are now extinct. Climate change threatens to make more and more of the world uninhabitable to us; we human who've learned to selfishly manipulate the environment to suit our own needs and desires.

How do you know that?

Because this universe is designed. An undersigned universe would look different. Even most scientists. Think the universe looks finely tuned. Thus the multiverse theory.

You're relying on your conclusion as a premise, here. That called Begging the Question (https://www.logicallyfallacious.com...) and isn't valid reasoning. You know that humans are prone to seeing intent and design in things, right? It's called anthropomorphism (https://en.wikipedia.org...).

Of course coincidences can't prove design. But so many are unlikely in a non designed solar system. I could list them, and you would just say "coincidence". So there is no convincing you, so I won't bother.

I know there are, but you haven't explained how why an undesigned universe wouldn't have these coincidences. What if I made the argument that if the universe was actually designed, then there should be ten times the number of coincidences that we see now? How are you more justified that I am, then? Also, humans are prone to seeking coincidences (because they're indicative of patterns) and attributing meaning to them, even if that meaning isn't actually there (Paradolia: https://en.wikipedia.org...).

I don't know.

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 10:49:31 PM

The universe is finely-tune for life as we know it. If the universe wasn't designed, we would have different physical laws and constants.

Sorry Jane, that isn't true at all, that is the believers misrepresentation of physics. The laws and constants values are what this particular universe has resulted. If they were different, the result would be a different universe.
distraff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 12:03:02 AM

Hypocrites.

Maybe you believe something to be evidence but we don't see it the same way.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 2:42:59 AM

Hypocrites.

Actually, we have ways of identifying it when we see it. Its called the Scientific Method.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org...

The person who makes the claim provides the evidence that caused them to reach their conclusion. Then we would see what The Scientific Method says about it.

If someone says all unicorns are purple, they need to provide the evidence. How would you define what evidence would be needed to prove all unicorns are not purple?
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 4:32:22 AM

Hypocrites.

Sorry for being a hypocrite, but I have never seen evidence for a supernatural being of any kind, let alone an invisible one.
Maybe the evidence is invisible too.
Do you know that belief in the supernatural is defined as superstitious belief.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 5:19:55 AM

Hypocrites.

A concept of god as I and a whole lot of others ascribe too is agape... love. Some assign a persona, some don't. Some view agar in religious contexts, others don't. Some have a name, others don't. But we all come to understand agape as we understand it, nothing more, or less. Many were once atheist and may still say so. None of us judge.

We do our thing by attraction, not promotion.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 6:55:42 AM

Hypocrites.
All you need do Jane is provide this creator of the universe and have s/he/it convince me that it was in fact them that created the universe and I'll believe that I've met the creator of the universe.
Woo Hoo. I'll be down the pub...Oi you'll never believe who I met yesty.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin