Jump to topic:

My Thoughts on Members

ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 5:06:59 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
I almost always go to the profile page of members who post interesting topics.

But it is easy to see who is really interested in the free exchange of ideas and who is not. For example, a profile page chock full of "Not Saying" shows a person not really interested in connecting with others.

And a member not interested enough in the "Big Issues" to choose at least a few signifies someone who only wants a soapbox and is not really interested in the views of others.

But one of the best giveaways is the name a member chooses for him/herself. Names can be divided into 5 types.

1. Regular names, often with numbers or extra letters
ethang5/Thomasnomas/K3yof5eth
2. Names of Grandeur, often how the member sees himself
Skepticalone/Barbarian/Godkiller
3. Mythic names, often with religious undertones
Krishnaknight/lightseeker/beyondtruth
4. Inside joke names, sometimes decipherable
Madcornishbiker/steelerfan2/Ithadtobeu
5. Nonsensical names, usually showing the lack of creativity in the member
7th477w/goobledyboo/xxx69

Atheists tend to prefer #2 and #4. Theists lean towards #1 and #3

#1's and 2'a tend to be the best for debate, #4 and #5 tend to be the worst.

There are of course, exceptions and aberrations.

Another thing, no real Christian would leave the religion question on his profile page as "not saying", and no one seriously looking for debate would answer the "looking for" with a "men" or "women". This isn't a dating site.

Members who use, in their siggy, quotes (of other members) they consider silly is really a cheap shot. No context, just the low blow every time they post. Weak.

But it is often amazing how apt some names are. After reading an idiotic post you look at the name and it's something like "sillyant" and you think, "Yeah, I can see it" or some vulgar idiot calling himself "thuggishloser". No surprise.

Each type has subgroups and a longtime poster can grow into another name type. Like "Thorshammer" becoming "daa-umm". But I've noticed that name changes usually are governed this way...

When they do change,
1's keep their names longest. 2's usually become 4's. 3's leave more often than change names, 4's usually become 5's and sometimes 1's.

5's never become 1's. 4's never become 3's. 3's on the rare occassions they stay and change, keep the same type. 2's never become 5's.

Which number type are you?
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 5:11:18 PM
At 10/12/2016 5:06:59 PM, ethang5 wrote:

But it is easy to see who is really interested in the free exchange of ideas and who is not. For example, a profile page chock full of "Not Saying" shows a person not really interested in connecting with others.

And a member not interested enough in the "Big Issues" to choose at least a few signifies someone who only wants a soapbox and is not really interested in the views of others.

But one of the best giveaways is the name a member chooses for him/herself. Names can be divided into 5 types.

Another thing, no real Christian would leave the religion question on his profile page as "not saying", and no one seriously looking for debate would answer the "looking for" with a "men" or "women". This isn't a dating site.

Members who use, in their siggy, quotes (of other members) they consider silly is really a cheap shot. No context, just the low blow every time they post. Weak.

But it is often amazing how apt some names are. After reading an idiotic post you look at the name and it's something like "sillyant" and you think, "Yeah, I can see it" or some vulgar idiot calling himself "thuggishloser". No surprise.

Each type has subgroups and a longtime poster can grow into another name type. Like "Thorshammer" becoming "daa-umm". But I've noticed that name changes usually are governed this way...

When they do change,
1's keep their names longest. 2's usually become 4's. 3's leave more often than change names, 4's usually become 5's and sometimes 1's.

5's never become 1's. 4's never become 3's. 3's on the rare occassions they stay and change, keep the same type. 2's never become 5's.

Oh I don't know: stymie was my favorite cats name and 13 is my birthday.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 5:18:52 PM

I think #2 and #3 and unnecessarily separated. The two latter example of #3 would easily qualify for #2, for instance.

When they do change,

I don't know, what do you think? You seem to have a good grasp on this assessment.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 7:41:31 PM

When they do change,

Not sure. At first glance I would appear to be a 1, but I chose my name as sort of science-fictiony name, for like a clone or a robot or a borg (like 7of9).
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 8:16:02 PM

Inside my head while reading this post:

I wonder if "not saying" is listed often on my profile page. *Checks profile*

OMG it's on there 5 times!!! Wait...is that "chock full"?!

...Nah, I'm sure he meant WAY more than 5...maybe like those unreasonable people with 6 "not sayings"....jerks.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 8:35:43 PM
At 10/12/2016 8:16:02 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

...Nah, I'm sure he meant WAY more than 5...maybe like those unreasonable people with 6 "not sayings"....jerks.

I've got nine. :( And on top of that, many of my interests say "nope." in lieu of listing anything. I thought that I was leaving those blank because (a) most of them are irrelevant to anything I'd ever discuss and (b) I'm trying to minimizing the bias people might have when reading what I write (favorable OR unfavorable). Oh, well.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 8:49:48 PM
At 10/12/2016 8:35:43 PM, Chaosism wrote:

I've got nine. :( And on top of that, many of my interests say "nope." in lieu of listing anything. I thought that I was leaving those blank because (a) most of them are irrelevant to anything I'd ever discuss and (b) I'm trying to minimizing the bias people might have when reading what I write (favorable OR unfavorable). Oh, well.

Chaosism is one of those "not saying" folks. I bet he has beady eyes too...

;-P
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 8:56:05 PM
At 10/12/2016 8:49:48 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

;-P

Oh....

BTW - sorry for reading your thoughts and all.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 9:09:10 PM
At 10/12/2016 8:56:05 PM, Chaosism wrote:

;-P

Oh....

BTW - sorry for reading your thoughts and all.

Lol, nice. You a very punny guy!

Skeptical1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 1:58:04 AM

When they do change,

Well shoot, no "big topics" and no deeply personal details in my profile - in fact, nothing. Loser!

I'm wondering, though, why that makes me any less open to the free exchange of ideas than someone who chooses to fill in every box?

Is it possible that people who do take the time and trouble to fill in every detail are the ones who like soapboxes - not the other way around, as you suggest?

Do you feel the need to walk around the street wearing a bunch of labels "Christian", "straight", "republican", "anti-abortion", etc etc etc?

If you want to know something about me, or my opinion on anything, just ask - THAT is how interaction happens.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 6:11:28 AM

When they do change,

Your looking to much into it I believe. When I joined , I didn't think I would be hanging around after a day or 2. So I gave myself this name with that in mind. I hate it. If I new I was going to like this site I would of picked a name like. Um , um , boatymcboatface.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 6:45:32 AM

When they do change,

I am not a number. I am a free man.
To quote Number 6.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:01:40 AM
At 10/12/2016 5:11:18 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

Oh I don't know: stymie was my favorite cats name and 13 is my birthday.

You are a #4 with a #1 undercurrent.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:09:53 AM
At 10/12/2016 5:18:52 PM, Chaosism wrote:

I think #2 and #3 and unnecessarily separated. The two latter example of #3 would easily qualify for #2, for instance.

True, because people are rarely one dimensional, and this is not meant to be a clinical diagnosis. But #2's carry a slight implication narcissism, while #3's see themselves as part of a noble/righteous cause and are rarely narcissistic. The difference is a big one in actual debate with each on the board.

When they do change,

I don't know, what do you think? You seem to have a good grasp on this assessment.

You are solidly a #2. But you lean slightly towards #1. What is a top contender for your name that you ultimately rejected? I'm guessing it was a #1.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:11:53 AM
At 10/12/2016 7:41:31 PM, janesix wrote:

When they do change,

Not sure. At first glance I would appear to be a 1, but I chose my name as sort of science-fictiony name, for like a clone or a robot or a borg (like 7of9).

You are a #1 with streaks of #4 mixed in.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:18:10 AM

Funny. :)

But I am aware people can change. For example, a member who joined years ago and was essentially a troll, grew and developed a fondness for debate and found he liked intellectually connecting with others. But it has not yet occurred to him that his profile page still bares the hallmarks of the guy he used to be, or has simply not gotten around to changing it. You didn't even remember if there were any on your profile page.

But generally, I think this is true, and the more recently the member joined, the more true it will be.

What is "chock full"?! Think of cans of sardines.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:24:32 AM

That shows a rather low opinion of other people in general, in agreement with your being a #2, who tend to have elevated opinions of themselves. Which may be justified. You are one of the more intelligent posters on this board. None of the assessment types are necessarily negative within themselves.
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:27:17 AM

When they do change,

Critique me master.
Forum Record: 6/0

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."
-I'll keep this anonymous...-

"fuk off bog, no one even reads your crap, what price is you hooker now?"
-same dude as above....-
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:29:04 AM
At 10/12/2016 5:18:52 PM, Chaosism wrote:

It doesn't matter that they re by each other. If this is true it matters that it is that specific character.

When they do change,

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."

-same dude as above....-
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:30:31 AM

The reason i don't fill it in because i don't know how "looking for" is defined.

When they do change,

Funny Quotes:

-communist_snake-

-same dude as above....-
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:30:31 AM

;-P

You know the mist they spray on bees to calm them before taking their honey? The inside of your head needs that.

But Chaosism being a #2 is unusual. The word is from the root chaos, but narcissistic personalities desire order and control. (besides adoration) He (?) is one I would love to question about his worldview.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:39:41 AM
At 10/13/2016 1:58:04 AM, Skeptical1 wrote:

When they do change,

Well shoot, no "big topics" and no deeply personal details in my profile - in fact, nothing. Loser!

Ok.

I'm wondering, though, why that makes me any less open to the free exchange of ideas than someone who chooses to fill in every box?

Filling in the boxes is an exchange of ideas. You're telling us about yourself. Not filling in the boxes makes it more difficult for other members to know if you are the sort with whom they would like to exchange ideas.

Is it possible that people who do take the time and trouble to fill in every detail are the ones who like soapboxes - not the other way around, as you suggest?

No. But as I said, there are exceptions and aberrations in every bunch. Perhaps you are an exception.

Do you feel the need to walk around the street wearing a bunch of labels "Christian", "straight", "republican", "anti-abortion", etc etc etc?

No, but is the profile page akin to "walking around the street" to you? People come here (in theory) to interact. Why then would you keep who you are closed up?

If you want to know something about me, or my opinion on anything, just ask - THAT is how interaction happens.

Ok, so interaction with you always requires the other party asking you. I'll alert the creators of forum boards that the profile page is not needed.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:46:13 AM
At 10/13/2016 6:11:28 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

When they do change,

Your looking to much into it I believe. When I joined , I didn't think I would be hanging around after a day or 2. So I gave myself this name with that in mind. I hate it. If I new I was going to like this site I would of picked a name like. Um , um , boatymcboatface.

lol. Honestly, I read this only AFTER I posted what I said about a poster changing. But you are a #2. What is unusual about you is that you are one of those with no undercurrent leanings. You are 100% a #2.

That is how I can be sure that you may have picked a different name, but it wouldn't have been boatymcboatface. Boatymcboatface is a #5. You can only be a #2.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:51:44 AM
At 10/13/2016 6:45:32 AM, desmac wrote:

To quote Number 6.

A free man who quotes a number?

You are half a 4 and half a 5. People with equal parts of two consecutive numbers are twins. People with equal parts of two non-consecutive numbers are hybrids.

Hybrids are rare. Twins are rarer still.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 11:00:30 AM
At 10/13/2016 10:27:17 AM, Perussi wrote:

When they do change,

Critique me master.

This would not be a critique but an analysis, and of your board personality, not you yourself in RL. I don't know you.

But I do have enough experience to know that your profile page is bogus. Sorry, the analysis works better on real profiles, even if it has minimal info.
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 11:17:14 AM
At 10/13/2016 11:00:30 AM, ethang5 wrote:

When they do change,

Critique me master.

This would not be a critique but an analysis, and of your board personality, not you yourself in RL. I don't know you.

But I do have enough experience to know that your profile page is bogus. Sorry, the analysis works better on real profiles, even if it has minimal info.

You have no idea what you are doing. That is exactly how i feel. (pssst, i am very different from other people)

Make it real or peel. (i mean peel and in "lets split")

Funny Quotes:

-communist_snake-

-same dude as above....-
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 11:23:52 AM
At 10/13/2016 11:17:14 AM, Perussi wrote:

Critique me master.

You have no idea what you are doing. That is exactly how i feel.

And how you feel is synonymous with fact, right?

(pssst, i am very different from other people)

Everyone is different from other people. That is why they are called "other" people.

Sorry, I cannot make your profile real, only you can do that. But I do have a question. Why 16 years old?
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 11:40:03 AM
At 10/13/2016 11:23:52 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 10/13/2016 11:17:14 AM, Perussi wrote:

Critique me master.

What i believe to be fact, yes. I'm trying to compromise with that "believe" there. Take it before this turns into a flame war.

Everyone is different from other people. That is why they are called "other" people.

Tell me something i don't know?

Sorry, I cannot make your profile real, only you can do that. But I do have a question. Why 16 years old?

Because that is how long i have been alive. O.O

Funny Quotes:

-communist_snake-

-same dude as above....-
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 12:20:04 PM
At 10/13/2016 10:51:44 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 10/13/2016 6:45:32 AM, desmac wrote:

To quote Number 6.

A free man who quotes a number?

A cultural reference of which, I assume you are unaware.
https://en.wikipedia.org...(The_Prisoner)

You are half a 4 and half a 5. People with equal parts of two consecutive numbers are twins. People with equal parts of two non-consecutive numbers are hybrids.

Hybrids are rare. Twins are rarer still.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 12:23:55 PM
At 10/13/2016 11:40:03 AM, Perussi wrote:
At 10/13/2016 11:23:52 AM, ethang5 wrote:

Critique me master.

What i believe to be fact, yes. I'm trying to compromise with that "believe" there. Take it before this turns into a flame war.

Trust me, it won't. You don't have a flame thrower.

Tell me something i don't know?

Sure. There is no need to say you're "different" from other people. Now you know.

Because that is how long i have been alive. O.O

Ok, you're stuck with that story. Good luck.